Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Murray Chris Craft Constellations
Pages 1 2 3 4 ... 149 » 150
Last Post By: David Ross

Posted: March 14 2014 at: 17:23

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

View Last Post 1963 Constellation 42
Last Post By: eshover

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:19

View Last Post 2000 Gulfstream 232
Last Post By: DanDDan
Forum: Grady-White

Posted: January 30 2014 at: 11:01

View Last Post Catalina Owners
Pages 1 2 3 4 ... 191 » 192
Last Post By: Happy Hour III

Posted: January 18 2014 at: 20:11

View Last Post 50 amp question
Last Post By: Pats2nd Connie

Posted: January 13 2014 at: 17:57

View Last Post Leaving boat
Last Post By: Pats2nd Connie

Posted: January 13 2014 at: 08:17

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: June 10 2008 at 22:37 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback.

The unit from Perko has a check valve that closes off water from the thru-hull and accepts only the fresh water from the garden hose.  I would have to run the engine while flushing to get fresh water into the raw water pump.

My main concern with this unit is that it is made of plastic.  I worry that if it gets a crack or springs a leak the results will not be too good.

Floater...my 280 has a single exhaust and the muffler looks like a fiberglass/glass pack tube.  It is not very quiet at higher RPM but at a slow cruise (<1700 RPM) it is pretty quiet.

Tom 

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 11 2008 at 08:33 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Floater. Running a boat in salt water creates a whole new set of maintenance issues. Due to galvanic corrsion, zincs must be changed more often. Bottoms get fouled with barnacles, grass and slime. No fun at haulout time. Salt corrodes everthing it touches. Even stainless railings. Speaking of stainless railings, I found a product at ace hardware that removes rust from stainless and fiberglass. It's called "the Must For Rust", comes in a spray bottle. Costs about $12.00, just spray it on, let it set about 15 minutes and hose off. My stainless rails were really rusted bad so I needed several aplications. followed up with an application of Collinites metal wax No. 850. Good stuff. Rinsing the boat off after each use helps a lot. Capt. Heavy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: June 12 2008 at 15:28 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hi guys I've got those flush valves pictured earlier (two) and they work great I'll post pix tomorrow as it is raining you know what and the lightning is getting closer gotta shut down Cap H bought the book thing for 49$ kinda looks tough (hho) gonna look for a ready made type.LATER

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 13 2008 at 07:58 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Boatman. sounds good. They should really extend the life of the risers and elbows. I crawled into the engine compartment to check on everything, no leaks, everything looked good. Re-tighened all nuts and bolts on the risers/elbows I installed a couple of weeks ago. Got a couple of full turns on the top nuts from gasket compression. Will check them again in a week or two. As far as the hho thing, still havn't decided to build one or buy one. Still doing research. Boat still for sale, not a single call.

Looks like calm seas down here this weekend. Will drop a line in the water sunday, maybe do a little diving, too. Lobster season is getting close. Think I'll stay inshore, gas prices killin me. Cold beer n tight lines, Capt. Heavy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: June 13 2008 at 08:40 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Capt Heavy,yeh my glm exhausts required several tightening checks too,always a good thing to get down and check things by touching and wiggling never hurts. I haven't searched for a complete kit (hho) yet but getting close,gonna run sally today,hope the storms hold off,following are pictures of those PERKO flush assy's Nauti cat,mine are tied in between the thru hull valves and the strainers,that way everything gets a good hosin(as the wife says)I don,t know if you can tell but the fresh water supply is the two red hoses,and since there was not much room to install,I routed them accross each other,ie,theport engine gets it sea and fresh water from the starboard thru hull and hose water port which is located above deck on the side gunnels,and the stbd eng.the other side ,look closely and you can see the thru hull valves,when flushing,you don't even have to shut them off the check valve thing works really well and you can monitor the sea water flow by watching the check valve move back and forth when the engine is running.Mine are two years old and have not given me any trouble yet.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: June 13 2008 at 08:44 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

perko flush valves

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: June 13 2008 at 08:45 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

another shot of both perkos

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 13 2008 at 09:00 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Looks good, Boatman. Double clamped properly, too. Should ad years to everything. New heat exchangers are outrageous. I've had mine redone a few times over

the years. Making the flush kit clear was a good idea on perko's part. Capt Heavy

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 13 2008 at 10:25 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey. boatman. aif you go to www.tcpalm.com, channel 12 news, out of w. palm beach, theres an article there about the St. Lucie County sherriff dept installing an hho generator on 2 patrol cars.

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: June 13 2008 at 11:00 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Hi Boatman,

From the photos of the flush system, I would suggest replacing the nylon 'L' fitting screwed into the through-hull valves with bronze. This will strengthen the whole arrangment. Bronze withstands impacts, breaking, cracking much better. Just a thought.

Diver

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: June 14 2008 at 09:38 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Thank you for the photo's Boatman, looks great...gives me the inspiration to get it done.  Looks like the fresh water hoses are always installed, probably makes it easier to flush without having to go down there each time.

Tom

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: June 14 2008 at 10:27 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hi Roy,yeh the boat yard installed those nylons when they changed all the thru hulls for me,I've got my eye on them and when the go they  will be replaced with brass seems to me there is too much emphasis on plastic on a boat these days.Nauti:another pix of where my fresh water inlet ports are for the Perkos.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: June 14 2008 at 10:36 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: June 14 2008 at 10:37 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: June 14 2008 at 10:40 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

there ya  go-since I have twin engs. there is another one on the other side,just hook up the hose and with the eng running at idle,sock it to it,that way you don't have to worry about how much pressure is on the system,and,everything gets a good flushing. 

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: June 14 2008 at 10:52 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Capt Heavy,good news clip,thanks,he said the unit  went from 13mpg to 20 something,looked pretty simple install,stay away from the 49 dollar one it's just an e mail book thing and quite complicated,maybe I will try to build one of them for the boat,we will see,if these things really work,then I see no reason not to have them on the boats,I sure could use a doubling of miles traveled.The marco river marina gal said yesterday fuel is over 5.00 gal.Somethins gotta give,and it sure isn't gonna be me.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: June 14 2008 at 18:01 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

thanks for the rest of the photos boatman. 

Tom

"MY WAY"

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: June 15 2008 at 11:09 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

anytime Nuati-cat,I'm still going to do that video thing,that is really cool

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: June 15 2008 at 12:34 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Boatman,

On those raw water 'L' fittings:  Please read 'bronze'!

Nylon's better that brass.. Brass which will basically get electrolisis eaten very fast and is not very strong.sorry.

Roy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: June 16 2008 at 09:10 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

no problem Roy,got mixed up on bronze/ brass anyway had a good run saturday,ended up staying at a friends marina next to him for the night,felt good sleeping on sally,everything worked great and it was a hoot being up and cruising at the crack of dawn back to the home dock. we were the only ones out.water was glass and the sunrise was very colorful.THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!!!!    OK REDBARONTU WERE ARE YOU?? all going OK??I need to know my sister ship is ok...  CAPT. HEAVY--check out the MAG DRIVE site this may be the way to go..these guys seem to have the right combo hho thing,a little more than I wanted to pay,but looks real solid and is just a real bolt on item. 

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: June 16 2008 at 12:26 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

You weekend sounds like what we all signed up for!

We were on Lorelei this weekend too.

May I? 

The view from Lorelei's wheelhouse at night is like Disneyland's Tomarrowland after dark: San Francisco's massive Bay-Bridge with its orange lights swooping on suspention cables, ramps, traffic. Downtown's skyscraper giants vieing to outdo each other with their hitek lighting, they're so close we can almost touch them. There's a Giants game at the Park.  We hear, see, smell the hubub of fans hurrying to the game, locals strolling thier dogs, bums, cops, ferries coming and going into Mecovy Cove. The smell of hot dogs and cotton candy. Kids screaming and lauphing on the slides inside the Ball Park. Trollies rumble along with clanging bells on the Embarkadero towards Fisherman's Warf. The sound of people having a good time on a soft night. From the wheelhouse, we see the our open glass yacht club complex at the head of the marina. People relaxing, flirting at the bar, a pretty good band is playing... perfect.

In the morning, Father's Day, Laurie brews freshly ground coffee (she's particular about her coffee!), our neighbor's playing a haunting melody on her flute from the deck of a graceful Hunter 460 schooner. We single up, shove off for a Tiki place called 'The Ramp' for eggs benedict and Mermosas el fresco. Our breakfast table sticks out over the water and has a panaramic view of the City's drydocks...fog burning off.

It's going to be a good day for a bike ride through the Park down to Ocean Beach.

Life is good

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 16 2008 at 12:57 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Diver, sounds like you had a great weekend! We don't spend nights on the boat anymore. Our home is less than 15 minutes away from the dock. Used to be an hour's drive back in Rock Hall Md. It's so much more convienant. Quiet weekend here, hot , sunny, humid. Got a late start Sunday afternoon, lines itn the water 1:00 pm. Caught a bunch of small snapper and grunts.  Ocean water temp is already 84.5 degrees and it's only june. What's the water temp in frisco? Mystic Diver ran perfect, as usual, although with gas so high we didn't go too far, just out of the inlet to a spot about 3 miles south called kingfish hole. Anyway we'll try again next sunday. Capt Heavy

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: June 16 2008 at 13:19 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hey Guys...if I may chime in too...

Saturday was chore day around the house but we got out on the water yesterday for lunch in a nearby anchorage that is still fairly open to the Great South Bay.  After 2 hours of partly cloudy skys and absolutely no wind, things changed in a real hurry as a small squall kicked up (about 10 minutes).  The wind got up to 20ish mph and the bay kicked up to a 2-3 foot chop.  We battened down the hatches, got the kids down below, got the anchor (plow style no chain in an all rope windlass) up with some difficulty as the wet rode kept slipping in the gypsy (I need a better quality rode) but we got it up anyway and made it back to our port 10 minutes later.  The Catalina handled the slop and wind GREAT!  My next fear was backing her into the slip (remember - singe screw here) but got her in the first try without touching anything (practice paid off ).

All in all a fun day...cant wait till next time.  Damn the gas prices, I'm going boating!

Happy father's day to all!

Tom

Edited by Nauti Cat on June 16 2008 at 13:20

"MY WAY"

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 16 2008 at 14:09 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Cat, practice makes perfect. It's all about getting the feel of your boat. I've seen guys with a 200 ton capts. license that couldn't dock a 26 foot single screw. They were too used to using bow/stern thrusters and twin screws. As far as gas prices, I'm still going boating too, but my trips keep getting shorter. Still looking for a buyer, would even consider a trade on a smaller single screw. Going to have some kind of boat till the day I die. Hey Boatman, looked over the Magdrive web sight. Lots of good stuff. Still thinking of building my own, Not a lot of space under the hood of my dodge dakota sxt. The magnum v6 is really shoe -horned in there. Do have a lot of space in my chris. ventilation is the key here. Capt. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: June 16 2008 at 15:07 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Ok diver,  Im jealous, yah, over you too heavy. went to the floater, got to see a drunken redneck fight over a half can of busch light. found that my "deep well" slip is only 4 foot deep (engines love sucking stirred up mud), a sunburn and a speeding ticket on the way home (lucky i service the d.a's car). met with a possible buyer who i think is a psycho that wont take care of the floater if purchased.

soooo, just came home, ate pizza and drank mikes hard lemonades in front of the tv and watched john grivisous on the dvr (thats another story, see my tyrade in a previous post).

but...i like tom have mastered the single screw port back up waltz!

so, to whom are fathers, happy belated fathers day!

floater

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 16 2008 at 15:17 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Floater. A fight over a 1/2 can of busch beer? I could understand it if it was Miller Lite, but busch, yuk. Actually 4 foot isn't all that bad. Thats all that I have under Mystic Diver at low tide, and we have less than a 3 foot tide drop. Another good reason to flush engines. Years ago when I had my 25 cat on the elk river in Maryland, all the boats in the marina sat on bottom @ low tide. If you didn't leave/return at half tide or better you had a long wait. Capt. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: June 16 2008 at 15:28 | IP Logged Quote floater251

capt heavy, i do worry,  since we are i a drought, about sitting on the bottom until the rainy season this fall. last year all the lakes were about 5 foot down. we are already 1 foot down and not looking very promising. if it does rub bottom, and/or when the boats sit on bottom durring low tide, will it not damage the rutter and prop?

floater

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 17 2008 at 07:54 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

HI, Hi' Floater. If the bottom is soft mud I would't worry too much. However' if it's hard sand or shell or rocky, then I'd worry. You can Help yorself by "dredging" out your own slip. About once a year or so I leave Mystic Diver tied to the slip. Then I start it up and put it in foward and leave it at idle for about five minutes. Then I put it in reverse for about five minutes. This will wash out a hole under your running gear. Just make sure your dock lines are shrong enough to hold the boat in the slip. Capt Heavy

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 17 2008 at 08:09 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

P.S. Floater. We have plenty of homes for sale down here in s.e. Florida, everything from Manufactured homes to Multi million dollar 40,000 sq. foot winter getawy homes for the rich snowbirds. It's unbelievable. There's some good buys right now because of the economy. Only drawback is property taxes ar very high down here. When I left Delaware, Taxex on my brick ranch and almost a acre of ground were 885.00 a year. Down here my Taxes are over 3,000 $$$ for a 2000 sq. foot house on less than 1/2 an acre. Talk about sticker shock! Capt Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: June 17 2008 at 11:56 | IP Logged Quote floater251

capt heavy, sounds like i just need to have a friend in fla, ny, sf, va, and nc outer banks that already have boats.

floater.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 17 2008 at 12:47 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey. Floater, it's nice to have friends with boats, better to have friends wiht no boats that want to help with yours with a little$$$$$$$$$$. Hard to find these kind of friends. Speaking of friends, one of the guys on my dock took his 30 pursuit to the Bahamas last weekend for a little bottom fishing.  Came back with a large cooler of Yellow fin tuna, black fin tuna and mixed snapper fillets. Only cost him $1,500 in fuel, split three ways. Glad he did'nt ask me to go. He did, however just dropped off  a bag of Blackfin tuna abnd snapper to take home. Yuuuuuuuuuumyuuuuuuum. West end of the bahamas is only 68 miles from here. Capt. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: June 17 2008 at 14:20 | IP Logged Quote floater251

capt heavy. i have an uncle whos on that trip now. he and a group of friends trailer their boats to somewhere down there and make a week of fishing and cruising to the bahamas. he has the money and a trailerable boat to do those things. my wife and i were talking about what to get when the floater sells. maybe i can join them next year if we get something trailerable. oh, by the way, a customer of mine ordered one of the $1000 hho systems, asked us to install it for him. i will monitor how well it works, sounds good to use with the twins!

floater

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 17 2008 at 14:39 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Floater, that's cool. Most people put in at riviera beach, about 30 miles south of here. About 65 miles or so to the islands. If i could find some people to share expense, I'd love to make that trip. Let me know how the hho generator works out I'm serious about building one. I've got access to all the materials I need, except for the actual container. Under hood space will determine what I use. I'm not giving one penny more to those greedy *&%#@<* than I have to. I need to go down to the boat and cool off with a cold one. Capt Heavy

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: June 17 2008 at 22:52 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

Hello boatman, etal.

Thanks for asking about me boatman; not to worry your sister ship is ok. maybe better than she has ever been as to maintance and up grades. I have replaced, rebuilt and upgraded almost  everthing except the engines. they checked out perfect and  "run smooth as a sewing machine". my engines are fresh water cooled and also have a seperate fresh water wash down. I haven't used it yet but plan to test it soon.

I read with interest all the discussion re better gas mileage. I really don't have anything to add to that. I dislike the fuel prices as much as anyone; unfortunatly I can't see a great improvement  soon. My plans are to keep going, but go slower. I traveled over 6000 miles in my sailboat at 6kt or less the cat will do that at a high idle. I've been doing a lot of that with some short runs at high revs to keep the engines clean. I don't have impecable records but the best that I can tell I'm burning about 4-5 gal per hr. By mixing in a little beer drinking,fishing and girl watching it has pretty fun so far. A friend of mine, once under way shuts down one engine, alternating them to keep the hours even. He thinks its the way to go. maybe i will give that as try. what do you think guys?  

RED BARON ORIENTAL NC.

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: June 18 2008 at 08:02 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Red Baron, long time no hear...alternating engines....will the need for additional throttle to get the craft moving not use more fuel than running both at less throttle? i guess that is something that can be checked by those with fuel meters.

anyhow, got the floater up for sale. if anyone in the nc coast may be looking for a 251, i can deliver!

floater

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 18 2008 at 08:32 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Red. Roger on the beer drinkin', fishin", and girl watchin'. As far as the gear issue, running on just one engine with the other shaft just spinning for a short time shouldn't hurt the gear. I am assuming you have a velvet drive or paragon gear. Just keep in mind that the oil pump in these gears is in the front of the gear, so when the engine is not running the pump is not pumping oil throughout the gear. The first year I owned Mystic Diver I blew a engine near Cape May N.J. Ran on one engine for almost 10 hours to get back home on the chesapeake bay. Didn't hurt anything. Capt Heavy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: June 18 2008 at 09:41 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

hey check this out!!

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: June 18 2008 at 09:52 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Sorry for the inverted pix,still learning,easier to work on the boat than this thingit's a propane fired commercial mower,which is what I do for a living--gotta get this and see what is up--my john deeres are costing me money and more as the days go on--baron great news buddy,heavy and all are right on,just chuggin around is now cool and a great way to save gas.here on marco the truck guy told me monday it's 4.64 a gallon.turning one off (eng) is ok as long as you don't overwork the other eng and keep the throttle low,manuvering can be a bit troublesome though but you already know that so won't go into it here..I pretty much am skilled at one eng on our models as the original engs broke often and had to chug home many a time.Now with the new ones,it is really a pleasure to cruise.glad to hear your engs are singing you have the 305's still don't you? they should be sipping less fuel than my 350's so keep' em tuned..  

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: June 19 2008 at 09:50 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

this discussion is HARDTOPS anyone got one on their boat?? I have a ragtop (convertible style)and boy is it hot in the summer,even with the side vents open and two fans it still is a cooker.Would love to go to a cheap (is there such a thing?) hardtop with a gap between it and the windshield for air flow.ant thoughts??

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 19 2008 at 11:02 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Good morning, boatman and everyone else. First off, what color is your canvas. Darker colors are hotter. As for cheap hardtop, no such thing if you want a quality job. You could build one out of glass covered plywood, but I've never seen one I liked. When I worked for Bausch American Towers @ American Custom Yacht, we built tuna towers, marlin towers and half towers. What you are proposing would be considered a half tower. Start with a 1" thick piece of divinacell foam, cut and router the edges to the desired contour. Also ruoter any wieways into the top for nav lighes, spreader lights, antennas etc. Use pvc tubeing for the wireways. Now cover one side with resin and biaxial fiberglass cloth. This must be done on some kind of mold to give the hardtop the proper crown. Let cure flip over, repeat. Sand/grind off any excess glass spikes or lumps. Next spray with a product such as awlgrip sanding surfacer. Sand smooth and spread on awlgrip awlfaif fairing coumpound. Sand with  a long board to remove any high/low spots. (are we having fun yet?). Then prime with awlgrip 545 primer, and finaly top coat with AWLCRAFT 2000 color of choice. Nonskid can be added to the topside of the hardtop. Hardtop done. Now for the half tower frame. It will be made out of polished or brushed anodized aluminum pipe, scedule 40, 1 1/2 or 2 inch diameter. A top ring bent and crowned to match the contour of the hardtop and four legs to support the whole works, all welding to be tig welds. Weld a 6 inch aluminum pad to the bottom of each leg at the proper angle, bolt to deck with 3/8 inch nuts and bolts and gobs of 5200. Keep rags and mineral spirits handy. Paint all welds with Red Devil aluminum paint. Now run wires for nav lights etc. Now get drunk, you deserve it. Any Question? Capt Heavy

]
] ]
191 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version