View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: May 28 2008 at 15:58 | IP Logged Quote floater251

ALSO...look around at the other links on the right side of the page, someone has already made a hybrid diesel/electric engine. curious what that will go into....maybe a......hinkley!?

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 29 2008 at 10:13 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

things are lookin up! the technology is there it just needs a thing such as higher fuel prices to get it going..an ad in our paper today has a guy selling a bio-diesel plant. "bio-diesel plant,1200 gallons,pump,filters,everything needed,5000.00 best. ph.239-434-8803" so there you go. I really like capt.heavys idea on the hho thing,looks like a real cheap way to get more knots out of our already heavily invested engines. question? do you have to change engines when going to ALL HYDROGEN BURNING or does it work in regular combustion engines??? I understand the hho thing,but what if you took it further and produced more hydrogen to burn??

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: May 30 2008 at 14:46 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hi, boys and girls. Boating is such fun. Just replaced the port exhaust risers last month. Now the starboard risers went. Must be defective, these are only 18 months old. I usually get 5 years out of them. Good news, there's a 3 year warranty on them. These are made by barr marine. They are the only ones who make the old style chris (marine Power) risers and elbows. Water was leaking from the water jacket into the exhaust port, clogging it with rust and salt, chocking the engine at speeds above 2800rpm. Bought new ones and sent the old ones back to Jerry's Marine in Ft. Lauderdale. Hopefully I'll receive credit for them. They came off fairley easy because they were only on a short time. this is the fith set on this engine in about 20 years. I'm going to install a fresh water flush system when I'm done. So if any of you guys have the old style manifolds and you start losing power, it may be an indicator of riser failure. I'm going to start the instalation in about 45 minutes. I'ts not a fun job. Oh well, you guys have a nice weekend. I hope to be done with it tonight. I've done this job so many times I can do it in my sleep. Now where did I put my beer? capt heavy

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: May 30 2008 at 15:10 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, boatman and everyone else. HHO is not pure hydrogen. It is 2 parts hydrgen, 1 part oxygen and when added to the air/fuel mix in gas or diesel engines, even in very small amounts, supposedly causes the fuel to burn much more effeciently and cleaner. You could run an engine on pure hydrogen, but not with a carburator, which is made to regulate liquid fuel. And since I don't want to go up like the Hindenburg, I think I'll experiment with hho, first on by truck, then on my boat. HHo is also highly explosive, but your'e producing small quantities , and with added ventilation, should be safe. Was thinking about adding another bilge blower, wiring it directly to the ignition so no chance of forgetting to turn it on. All thats on hold for now.

Starboard engine exhaust risers went south. Only 18 months old. must be defective. water jackets were leaking into the exhaust ports, clogging them with rust and salt. But got a 3 year warranty, so I bought new ones and sent the old ones back. We'll see if Barr Marine Lives up to its word. Putting the new ones on in a few minutes. Y'all have a nice weekend. Now where did I put my beer? Capt. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: May 31 2008 at 18:38 | IP Logged Quote floater251

What a beautiful weekend!!!!!! This was our first full day out! hot sunshine, but a southerly wind causing 1-2 foot swells. thats strong for a lake, i think.... But, i did get the swim platform ladder installed. i think i paid to much at a local marina for it, but i did not want to beach whale myself up on the swim platform again. We just sat on our lounge chairs in the back, anchored, watching the skiboats waste fuel. a little sunburn but the beers were cold! I always thought the fuel gauge was inop, ive only put 25 to 50 dollars at a time in the tank until now. i put 100.00 in, so at 25 gallons, the gauge went to 1/4 tank. im going to assume its a 100 gallon tank. it wiill never see full. Oh well, the small improvements continue.

Yall have fun! Mr and Mrs floater.

Boat....a hole in the water surrounded by fiberglass and wood into which money is poured.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: May 31 2008 at 20:48 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Glad to hear the news Floater...

My fuel gauge just stopped working (w/ key on gauge went to the left past empty)...I checked everything and it ended up being the sending unit, might have been the original, looked pretty old.  At least that was only a $30 repair.  The tank in the 280 single screw is 100 gallons (125 on the 281 with twins). 

Today in NY was very rainy but tomorrow is supposed to be 75 and sun...so you know where we'll be!

Have a good weekend everyone.

Tom 

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: June 01 2008 at 10:26 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

thats the best news anchored up sittin on the deck chairs watchin the ski guys burn fuelwas out fri went south for 20 miles,stopped at a water cove bar had a beer left ,and got caught in a typical sw fla downpour,no problem, wipers worked well(gotta get those pantographics!) and that old canvas ragtop has got to go!! all the cans of sealer spray are no good!it poured on me and everything else good thing all is waterproof!!all in all after the rain a really good day on the water!!!! nauti--exactly what was wrong on your sender,did you have to replace it?or just repair it.capt heavy,I put the glm aluminum exhuasts and risers on my new 350's they are excellant,and the same price as the cast irons,but oh so much lighter,I can hold the outboard one with one hand and do the four bolts so much easier..if and when yours really do take s### think about them.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: June 01 2008 at 22:48 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi Boatman,

I replaced the sender after cleaning the terminals and contact points and then testing the gauge.  I put the new one in and the gauge is showing the accurate amount of gas now (I dipped the tank to measure the actual amount of fuel).  I figured for 30 bucks, no sense repairing something that could be 10-20 yrs old.

Thanks,

Tom

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 02 2008 at 09:15 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hi,all. Floater, the best fuel gauge in the world is a stick. It never lies. Thats all I ever use. Boatman, I repaced the risers friday after work. Only took an hour and forty five minutes to install new ones. This will be the last time. Going to install fresh water flush system. By the way, Mystic Diver is for sale. It's in the florida mariner. wwwfloridamariner.com, if anyone wants to have a look. Hate to sell her, just can't afford the gas. She holds 200 gallons of fuel, although I never keep more than 80 gallons in her. Took her out Sunday afternoon, ran absolutley perfect. Tried fishing a couple of reefs, no luck, just 1 small black sea bass, and a small lane snapper. See ya. Capt. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: June 02 2008 at 10:38 | IP Logged Quote floater251

capt heavy, i feel your pain. due to a change in employment, fuel, irs, etc... i too have a for sale sign on the floater.  i do need to sell her, but a part of me hopes she wont sell, i have big plans for her. but until she does, im going to enjoy her as much as possible.

floater

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 03 2008 at 14:15 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Floater, roger that. I'm not getting out of boating, just downsizing. Some thing with a single engine. I'm not one to sit at the dock. Unless there's a party going on. Before I moved to Fl. we kept our boat at a nice marina in Rock Hall Md. on the chesapeake bay. Once a year all the powerboaters threw an afternoon dock party. Great fun, everyone spent sunday recovering. Being able to boat year round down here is great, but you spend more money on fuel and put more hours on the engine because there is no down time. Considering a 25 catalina or similar boat. Won't worry about another boat till I sell mine. Good luck on that. Capt Heavy

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: June 03 2008 at 14:35 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

I hear what you guys are saying...which is why I looked specifically for a single screw CC 280.   As a family of 5 it is the perfect size for us.  We actually just upgraded from a 20' cuddy with an older 2 stroke outboard which was very inefficient so I am expecting my fuel usage to be about the same (as long as I can keep those secondaries closed )

I've been boating my entire life and hopefully will never have to be with out a one.   

Floater...arent you looking to sell your Cat 251???

"MY WAY"

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: June 03 2008 at 16:00 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Cat, lets just say i need to sell it, im not trying real hard. if i can keep myself afloat (please excuse the pun) through the summer, i should be able to keep it. BUT, if someone makes me an offer (hense the "make offer" sign on the boat) that is fair, i will take it. my wife does not want me to get rid of it, she sees how much work ive put into it every night over the past fiew months. i can always do it again. with just me and the mrs, i can get something smaller and easily towable, i can save 150 a month on a wet slip! for now, keeping cruising down to a min. like we did last week, drink mojitos and float. cost less for 1 gallon of mojito mix and rum than 1 gallon of gas! wait a minute...does rum burn?

floater

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: June 03 2008 at 16:25 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

I was actually considering a sailboat (25-30' range) last season knowing the direction of gas prices but the family wanted nothing to do with that sport...they just want to get to the beach faster than 5MPH.

I think rum (similar to ethanol???) would burn but I'd hate to see the condition of the valves/cylinders afterwards. 

Anyway...I hope you don't sell the Floater too soon

Tom

"MY WAY"

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 04 2008 at 10:39 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Floater, selling a boat you've put so much work into is not easy. After owning Mystic Diver for almost 20 years, there isn't a part of the boat I  havn't worked on. It will be a sad day when  (if) she goes. If I had to trailer a boat down here, I'd get out of boating. The boat ramps are a zoo on weekends. They acually have a couple of cops there to keep the drunks and idots from killing each other. Last year we had a kid about 19 years old get beat to death on the sandbar, a local party hangout. You wouldn't believe the buttheads on the water. Last week we had a boat run right into the back of another and put at least one person in the hospital. Sad. Capt. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: June 04 2008 at 16:11 | IP Logged Quote floater251

I guess thats the nice thing about going to a lake thats in the middle of nowhere. on memorial day, i counted less than 10 boats on the 29mile stretch of lake. now last year i went to lake wylie with some family, 4 very nice ramps, 2 hour wait to unload. ill give it a fiew years, wateree will be the same way. south carolina has sold 500 acres of nat forest for residental. i would like to get the marina to organise a party of some kind. i do know what your saying about trailering. for the past 2 years, ive been pulling around a 20' searay 200. what a pain in the butt. after a long day of boating, the last thing i want to do is drag a boat home.

floater

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 05 2008 at 07:42 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Floater, the only way I could ever trailer a boat is if I could use it in the middle of the week when everyone else is working. But since I don't have any plans to retire (ever) unless I hit the lottery (never) I'll just have to put up with all the yahoos and want-a-be skippers. When you see some 16 year old kid zoom past you in a new 36 foot Contender with triple 300 hp mercs with all his buddies on board, it kinda makes you wonder what his parents were thinking. After all, his dad wouldn't let him take his 600 h.p. corvette out for a joy ride, but it's ok to take out a 900hp boat with a bunch of kids on board. Capt. Heavy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: June 06 2008 at 09:52 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

HOW ABOUT PROPANE?? It's burned incars all over the world,and is a lot cheaper.Would it work on boats?? I looked it up and the blow up factor is lower than gasoline. Just wondering. MEANWHILE sally is ready to go fishing sat. wish me luck. Like capt heavy gotta get my lottery tickets,YA NEVER KNOW

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 06 2008 at 10:40 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Catch em up, Boatman! What kind of fish do you target? Last weekend I got skunked (amost). Just one little snapper and a little black  sea bass. Got some friends comming  down from maryland this weekend. Would love to take them fiching in the ocean, but it's supposed to blow. Did I hear someone mention the Inner Harbor in Baltimore, Md.?????? On the subject of propane, since it's under pressure, a leak would pose the biggest threat. However we install propane tanks in some boats for cooking purposes, but the propane tank is never installed in the engine room. It's usually installed in it's own ventilated space, with a regulator and anti-flashback device. I don't think propane has the pawer of gasoline, but that's just a guess. If I were to install anything like that, I would install another bilg blower or two wired directly to the ignition switch for positive ventilation whenever the engine was running. Still exploring the hho generator. Capt. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: June 06 2008 at 11:06 | IP Logged Quote floater251

propane...definate poss. simple carb replacment/mod. the only thing is tank security. we have school busses and city trucks that run off cng. kits are readilly avail on the internet. tanks can be rented from nat welders.

floater.

i have a technician that has purchased a conversion kit for has 89 chevy truck.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 06 2008 at 11:11 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Wonder what the cost/savings/mpg would be propane vs. gasoline? Capt. Heavy

Edited by Capt. Heavy on June 06 2008 at 11:11

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: June 06 2008 at 11:26 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Cost of propane:  Up here in NY, I used to be able to fill my 20lb BBQ tank for $9, last year was $15, this year is $20...everything is going up. 

If the cost of fuel was completely stopping me from boating, I would definetly consider a sailboat.  My uncle uses about 10 galoons of diesel per year and uses the boat at least 4 days per week....hundreds of sailing hours.  His is a 30' and has similar accomodations as our Catalinas.  But for now the cost of gas is not stopping me (who knows about next year?!?!) I just travel a little slower...say 15 mph instead of 22. 

There is a pretty neat conversion for sailboats...they are removing the inboard diesels and installing a generator/motor attached to the transmission/prop shaft.  While under sail the prop spins turning the generator/motor which charges the batteries.  Under power the generator motor uses power from the batteries to propel the boat.  Not a bad idea.

How do you think a mast would look on the Catalina 280 ???? 

"MY WAY"

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: June 06 2008 at 14:22 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Heavy...same hp. same "mpg", cheaper $ per mile. conversion kits avail on ebay

cat...a catalinas' a catalina, might start a new trend! im going to put a sail on my truck here soon

whoevers going out this weekend, happy floating, stay cool! 102 deg here now.

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: June 07 2008 at 15:23 | IP Logged Quote floater251

ok capt heavy, if you see john griviscus down there, please hit him. i guess he assumes people who can afford the mods that he does really give a poo about doing them. if i could afford to repower with 2 new yanmars i would not care how to do it. lets get real......we in the club need to get together and come up with our own show sponsored by the local salvage yards and ebay. we can call it "THIS OLD BOAT" it will not be for people who can afford a total repower, it will be for people who need to get 1 more season out of the rusty risers and manifolds. not for people who get a beautiful new stainless bowrail, but how to straighten your trusty old aluminum rail that your drunk brother-in-law bent when loosing his footing. i would love a do-it-yourself show or magazine for the financially challanged who are proud of their outdated vessles.  whew. that took alot out of me. now that i vented, im mixing me a drink....

happy floating, floater

Dewy
"Deckhand"

Posted: June 08 2008 at 08:45 | IP Logged Quote Dewy

Hey guys,its been a while since I wrote in ,been out enjoying the chrissy.On the gas subject,its $4.46 here at the marina and with a 125 tank, ouch, my twins can burn that up. gotta keep the revs down. As to an alter fuel found this link, hope it can come about.  http://www.coskata.com I have a  friend who has converted his old car with a new race engine in it to burn both gas and propane at the turn of a switch,sounds get,but the propane vapors in the hold are 2 dangerous for me,since they are much heavier than .Well gotta go, back down to the chrissy never ends but enjoying it, accept the fuel.

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 16:40

Back to Top Printable version View Dewy's Profile Search for other posts by Dewy

Dewy
"Deckhand"

Posted: June 08 2008 at 08:47 | IP Logged Quote Dewy

opps my bad link  http://www.coskata.com/

Back to Top Printable version View Dewy's Profile Search for other posts by Dewy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: June 09 2008 at 08:50 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Good site Dewey,cap h got skunked saw a really killer sunset tho--stayed out past dark-new location of spotlight worked really well now I can see into the night and not lose night visionit was worth the effort to do the relocation.I used to watch ship shape and it used to be good in that he did help us junkers out,but as with all good shows it got too big.including the boats--gonna order a hho kit today for my dodge p/u 3/4 ton big 360 cu in see what happens.it seems to be the quick way to save fuel hell 50% savings is a lot today..only thing is how do you get it past the flame arrestor on the boat, I guess drill a hole in the top and let it dump straight into the carb? You could mount the bottle outside on a gunnel wall or something in case of vapors plus a safety blower and an over-ride switch.stay tuned...you could mount the propane bottles on the swim platform in two bracketts,need to find the miles(knots) per gallon ratio tho,that would dictate the size of the propane tank .. other than taht still buying fuel,and like dewey says keep the revs outta the secondaries,although it really feels good using them zoom zoom

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 10 2008 at 08:55 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Boatman, let me know how your hho kit works out. What kind and where you ordere it from. I havn't decided weather to buy one or build my own. Floater, I've acually met John Griviscus many times. He lives right he in Stuart, fl. His production office is at American Custom Yacht. I worked there for almost 2 years for Bausch American Towers. We built tuna towers for all those sport fish boats they make there. Trust me, John G. never got his hands dirty. Finished installing my fresh water flushing system saturday. Went pretty easy for a change. works great. Just hook dock hose to a sillcock valve I installed under each gunnel, open valve, turn on water and the risers and elbows get washed out. Should at least double the life of the risers.

And now for the s.e. Fl. fishing report. Fishing sucks. Trolled out to a depth of 250 feet, caught nada. Took a vacation day monday ( we have some friends visiting from Md.) fished near shore reefs, got 2 small snapper and two nice porgies. Better than nothing. Saw some hugh tarpon in the inlet and a sailfish freejumping on sat. Lobster season comming up in july, maybe have better luck. Gas here 4.75 at the dock. Air temp 88 deg. Cooler down here. Capt. Heavy

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: June 10 2008 at 09:36 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi Capt. Heavy,

Regarding the fresh water flush...did you make your own connection or by a ready made one like the Perko Flush-Pro that sells for $75?  I was looking into the Perko model but was not sure about using a plastic component for such an application.

Tom

"MY WAY"

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 10 2008 at 10:05 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, tom. I made my own system. Pretty easy. My risers (old chris craft style) have two unused 3/4 inch ports on the front side of the risers. I simply installed a valve under the gunnel for each engine. I used 3/4 inch hot water heater hose,  running it from the valve to a pvc tee in the outboard riser and another short piece of hose from the tee to a 90 deg. pipe to hose elbow on the inboard side riser. The Tee was also a pipe to hose fitting, w/pipe threads on the bottom part of the tee and hose barbs on the other two ends. although I got the hose for free, the rest of the parts cost about $30.00. Should have done this a long time ago. I think pvc fittings should hold up o.k. Theres not a lot of pressure from the raw water pump. I'll keep an eye on them. First time I flushed them a lot of rust came out., even though the risers are new. I'll keep you posted. Capt. Heavy

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: June 10 2008 at 12:29 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Thank you Capt. H

Is there any risk of pressurizing the risers?  I heard that water may be forced into the exhaust valves.  My single Catalina 280 has a newer 5.7L Mercruiser with Merc risers, etc.

"MY WAY"

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 10 2008 at 12:57 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Sounds like you have center mounted risers. I don't see how water can get into the exhaust valves unless your exhaust hose is installed so that it is angled the wrong way. The hole point of risers is to keep water from backing into the exhaust port. the first thing I did after flushing the motors for the first time was to start them up to make sure theres no problem. When I turn on the water, water starts running out of the exhaust immediatly. The pvc fittings I bought at lLewis Marine right here in stuart. Capt Heavy

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: June 10 2008 at 13:17 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

I think the way the risers work is that exhaust gas exit right at the top of the riser. It mixes with the raw water right at the riser outlet. The force of the exiting exhaust gases pushes the raw water down to the muffler and out.

So.

Without the exhaust gasses doing the exiting-raw-water-pushing-thing,  there is a risk of the fresh water getting back into the exhaust gas chanels and down to the exhaust valves as you thought. If one closes the raw water inlet valve, there's the risk of damaging the raw water pump.  Marine engine procedure books say it's always important to get the engine started quickly so the exhaust gasses do their push thing. Same deal.

I believe raw water stands at the same level as the heat exchanger, meaning the if the geometry of the exhaust manafold is correct, it's filled with standing raw water, but not the riser when the engine is off.

There are flush features on exhaust systems, so there must be a way...maybe contact Mercruiser or one of the deisel manfg'rs?  West Marine has aftermarket products along these lines....?  I know there is for outboards, but that's a different animal from raw water cooled inboard engines.

Sorry man!!!

Better to know for sure than to create a really heavy anchor that can't even be thrown over the side....

know-what-'a-mean Vern? 

Roy

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 10 2008 at 13:50 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey Roy. I gave this project a lot of thought before I started it. Talked it over with our mechanics here at hinckley, also. There's no need to shut off the water intake valve to flush the risers. The water pump impeller restricts the flow of water when not running thereby forcing the water out of the exhaust. Your'e right about water mixing with the axhaust gas at the very tip of the exhaust elbow. They are designed to spray water around the exhaust hose to keep it cool. As long as the exhaust hose is lower than the riser, the water will drain out the transom. I've ran my boat several times since installing this systems, giving each engine a good 5 minute flush each time, no problem. The only other consideration I can think of is muffler type and location. This will not work with the old style cast iron chris craft mufflers. Mine rusted out, so I gave them the deep six. I run no mufflers on my boat. It's to louder now either. The newer style fiberglass mufflers have baffles inside, I don't think this would create a problem. As with any new project, think it through, ask questions, and plan carefully. It's nice when something works right the first time. Capt. Heavy

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: June 10 2008 at 14:11 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

This is what I was considering....what do you think???

• Flush your boat engine safely and easily
  • Transparent body allows for visual inspection of water flow
  • Durable check valve system activated by water pressure from a garden hose
  • Check valve automatically shuts off hull intake when water pressure is applied
  • Can be used with onboard generators
  • Stainless steel spring
  • Available for standard 5/8", 1" or 1-1/4" hose size

• __________________
    Nauti Cat in NY
    Formally owned by a
    1985 Catalina 280

"MY WAY"

Nauti Cat
    "Commander"

Posted: June 10 2008 at 14:15 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Westmarine and others sell it.  I would install it after the strainer and before the raw water pump.

"MY WAY"

Capt. Heavy
    "First Mate"

Posted: June 10 2008 at 14:24 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

HeyCat. Looks good, sounds good. Rather than pipe it right into the risers it looks like you would pipe it somwhere between the raw water pump and the trans oil cooler. That would have the added benifit of fushing out the heat exchanger and oil cooler. If you run in salt water, it dosn't take long to ruin parts from corrosion/salt/rust buildup. Capt. Heavy

Capt. Heavy
    "First Mate"

Posted: June 10 2008 at 14:29 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey Cat, if you install it before the raw water pump, the impeller will restrict water flow unless the engine is running. You would have to close the intake valve also, as water under pressure is going to seek the path of least resistance. Kinda like me after I've had a few beers. Capt Heavy

floater251
    "Navigator"

Posted: June 10 2008 at 16:41 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Hmmmmm, maybe the lake is not so bad after all.....

fresh water floater!

someone mentioned mufflers....is there add ons for mine?

diveryates
    "Lieutenant"

Posted: June 10 2008 at 20:30 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Floater,

Yup, that makes sense. The water back flow risk is in the riser's center-tube through which exhaust gasses are expelled. As long as the flow of raw water is at a low rate, as in the engine starter is turning, water outflow from the outer casting chanels surounding the gas tube will travel around and out by gravity as pointed out. Even if water runs into the exhaust tube, exposure of the valves should not cause problems if the water is not allowed to sit . Firing the engine expells whatever water is in there.

Roy

]
    ] ]
    191 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
    ]
      ]
    Printable version Printable version