View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: May 13 2008 at 14:46 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, floater. How far are you from Moorehead city/Beufort area? Been throug there several times. Nice waterfront and clear water. On of my fav spots on the ICW.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 13 2008 at 15:23 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

You guys on the lakes----be nice to your bodiies of water--we in the salt water have a really big problem you don,t usually have ----------------------------------HURRICANES now there is a bummer!!!! Especially when you don,t have a trailer and the damn thing has to ride it out,boy can that be worrisome!peace!!

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: May 13 2008 at 15:23 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Capt., im about 5 hours east. i did have a job offer at a dealership in washington nc. it too is on the pamlico sound. wife said i would have to move her whole family with us.....NOT A CHANCE! so, i had toturn that down. been out there a couple times on a friends boat. not much to see comertially, but alot of beautiful reserves.

floater

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: May 13 2008 at 15:29 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Rodger that, boatman! I went thru 3 'canes in 13 months. All three, the eye came directly over my house. Had 2 boats in the water too. No fun at all. More on that later. How did you make out??? capt heavy

Dewy
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 13 2008 at 21:46 | IP Logged Quote Dewy

Floater,I live in Norfolk and dock at little creek.Have been fixing up my crissy lots.Have been out several times in bad weather,seas upto 6-8 feet and she handles well not an idel crusing time good to find out if she can handle the bad and sudden changes here.I understand that you may wish to come up and visit our area.would like to offer a cruise in the future if we could find a good window of weather.Let me know when you would like to visit.You can email me direct if you wish at Dewy804@aol.com.

I am about to install new log packing in the next week,hope it goes well,she;s still in the water,any thoughts or suggestions?

Back to Top Printable version View Dewy's Profile Search for other posts by Dewy

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: May 14 2008 at 08:23 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hello, Dewey. On the subject of shaft packing. It's most likely 1/4" packing. Use teflon packing, it lasts longer. I keep a short piece of prop shaft on my boat and use it to cut the packing to the proper length. This saves a lot of time for me. I have v-drives in my Chris and the shaft logs are UNDER the engines. What a pain in the butt. Anyway, make sure all the old packing is removed before installing new packing. I cut the packing with a razor knife. I cut it on an angle so the ends overlap. I install at least 3 "rings" of packing, more if there's room. I also try to make sure that the cuts are not lined up with each other. Not much water comes into the boat, so don't worry about that. Install 1 ring, then tighten down the nut. Back off the nut and repeat the process. When finished, you should tighten the nut down so that no water is dripping, then back off the nut till it drips a little, just a drop every second or so. The water acts as a lubricant and keeps the shaft from overheating. I run the boat for a few minutes in gear, then check it and ajust if needed. Now this is the most important part of the process. Sit back and have a cold beer for a job well done. Capt. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: May 14 2008 at 08:35 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Dewy, my wife and i (no kids) will be up your way in september for sure, have reservations in virginia beach for a couple of days, then heading up to bush gardens. it would be an honor to stop along the way and visit, if not then, sooner. i will keep in touch! good luck on the packing. looks like ill be in the same boat (no pun) in the near future, prop packing has a lot of drips at a cruise.

floater.

Dewy
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 14 2008 at 16:31 | IP Logged Quote Dewy

Capt. Heavy, thanks for the ifo will keep it in mind,as always your advise has been sound.

Floater,My wife and i would love to show off some off our sites here with a follow cc owner,slips hear are quite full of them.Let me know what you would like to see and will try to setup some kind of daytrip.

Back to Top Printable version View Dewy's Profile Search for other posts by Dewy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: May 15 2008 at 07:40 | IP Logged Quote floater251

dewy, you got a deal! i'll keep in  contact.

floater

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: May 19 2008 at 15:41 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi everyone, hope you had a great weeked on your Cats...

I got to use her Saturday morning for a few hours, my uncle snapped a few photos for me and a video which I will post on youtube.com soon.

Docking has not been an issue so far, those instructions for a single screw and practice continues to work like a charm.

Regards,

Tom

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: May 19 2008 at 17:07 | IP Logged Quote floater251

CAT;

ON THE BOAT, CALM SEAS, FAMILY ABOARD....

PRICELESS!

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: May 19 2008 at 17:50 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Thanks Floater....

Here is the link to the video on youtube...only 15 seconds at a slow speed, I'll get more as the summer progresses...

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=8MNlDawlY1c

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: May 20 2008 at 08:05 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Y'all. Went fishing on Sunday. 90 degrees, calm seas, clear water, Mystic Diver running perfect, cold beer in hand, no fish. I did however catch a 36 foot Intrepid center console. Or should I say, he caught me. Rather he caught all three lines I was trolling when he crossed close astern of me at 50 knots. Took $50 worth of lures and line, some of which I purchased saturday.  The highlight of the day was a topless babe fishing nearby. Oh well, looking forward to a long weekend comming up. I'll try to get a little diving in. Capt. Heavy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 20 2008 at 09:09 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

way to go guys cap heavy,seems the atlantic is getting smaller???glad to hear your mom had agood time---nuati now thats what I'm talkin about the cat looks good!!floater glad to see the priceless thing keep up the good workfoget about the gas$$$ thing just enjoy I know I do..66

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 21 2008 at 10:40 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

hey guys check out this web site --oceanled.com

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: May 21 2008 at 10:54 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Cool, boatman. These lights are becoming very popular down here in Florida. We install a lot of them right here a Hinckley. We get them from Underwater lights U.S.A. out of Ft. lauderdale. Very expensive. But it not only looks cool, they atract all kinds of fish at night. Really something to see. Capt. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: May 21 2008 at 11:16 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Nice....But 1 bulb may exceed the value of the floater. Led's are becoming more and more popular even in the automotive industry. on the new cadillacs, all the rear lamps are led's. also, for any of the 1157 size bulbs, there are replacment bulbs that are leds. good replacments for anchor lighting....less draw on battery!

floater

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: May 23 2008 at 09:21 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Fellas, Ladies,

ya'll have a fun and safe holiday!

remember...keep our beer cold and your cooker hot!

Floater.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: May 23 2008 at 10:15 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Floater and everyone else. Rodger the cold beer. Remember all those who gave all. Here in Stuart they are placing over 2000 crosses and stars of David along the highway to honor all the Floridians who died in all the wars from wwI to the present. That butthead named Rev. Phelps (or whatever his name is) is supposed to protest along with a few other crazies. Several mc groups are showing up to take care of him. Will keep you posted. As for Me I,m fishing in a big tournament saturday. Calling for thunderstorms. Figures. Maybe get some diving in monday. Have fun, stay safe. Capt. Heavy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 25 2008 at 08:59 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

ahmen guys,remeber all of the brave souls who have given their lives to protect us and keep us free

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: May 26 2008 at 00:14 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

Hello and happy mem. day weekend. Hope every one has a chance to enjoy the their boats in great weather like we'er having here in Oriental. I finally got the Red baron back on the water and everything checked out great. Prop shafts ran straight and true with no viberations and no more leaks in the stuffing boxes or the exit tubes. The test run was well received after all the work and $$$$ that was invested. I am now "Fiancially Capsized" in this boat but she should be in near perfect mechanically with all her needs taken care of. If this holds maybe I can take care of a few wants. The way the market has turned; at least in this area, I will have to get lots of enjoyment out of doing simple projects and riding to recope some of the $$$$ and time that ha been invested.

Any one traveling up or down the waterway this summer stop in Oriental and say hello I'll show you around the area in the cat. The Oriental Marina and Inn is a great stop and anyone there can tell you how to find me. This is a great place for boating and fishing.

May the seas be pleasant and the wind at your back.   Red Baron.

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: May 26 2008 at 09:03 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Baron, welcome back to the water!glad all has worked out. looks like everyone in the group here is all mechanicaly sound and floating! hope everyones having a good weekend!

floater.

Also, Any one of you that has served in our armed forces, THANKYOU for keeping this country what it was built on: "ONE NATION UNDER GOD". stay strong everyone, dont let them take that from us.

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: May 26 2008 at 09:30 | IP Logged Quote floater251

I appologise if i offended anyone with my last post

floater

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 26 2008 at 09:56 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

you offended NO ONE floater!!!!I think we all agree on what you said--some just don't show it.and that is ok..EVERYONE TO YOUR BOATS!!!!!

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 26 2008 at 18:31 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hi Floater: Thanks for the post reference to those who have served in our military forces!You are right on and we need more to stand up and be copuntedI Thanks and may your anchor always hold! Suwannee red   CC280
Back to Top Printable version View suwanneered's Profile Search for other posts by suwanneered

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: May 26 2008 at 20:46 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

Hello Cat owners, et,al.

Floater, you were "Right on" with your last post. You certanily didn't offend me. I also agree with boatman wae need more of us to stand up and be counted. Floater you never responded regarding the trim tabs that I have; if you want them they are yours I'm not trying to sell them. I can't tell you much more about them than I did in the origional post, that is that as for as I know they are ok.

To day I ran into an accuatance that has decided to sell his Chris It's a Catalina 362 and appears to be in good condition. If anyone is interested I will try to get some details for them.

Also a fuel flo gague is still lurking in my mind. The Flo Scan Twin gague in a single instrument looks kinda good. Any one have on of them? Are they worth while or just another Gagdet? How complicated is installation ?

Happy Cruising   Red Baron.

Dewy
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 26 2008 at 21:14 | IP Logged Quote Dewy

Happy Memorial Day ALL,

Took my Chrissy out yesterday for a 9 hour cruise,weather was great with 1-2 foot seas so a trip to the tower was in order (a 22 mile offshore light tower).Had a great time.Spotted a 4' sea turtle ,which was a highlite to the guest on board.Monday wind was up so spent the day at the barbie.

Our thoughts and prayers to all service personal,here and past.keep up the good standards.

On another note wish we could get some help with the problems concerning the Hatteras Point.This has been a pleasure spot of mind for over 40 years.Now 90% is close.We all need help in riseing to the occasion to get Congress involve to reopen the beach.

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: May 27 2008 at 01:44 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

On fuel Flo guages:

Install is streight forward if correct sensor placment is possible...install instructions are online....suggest reviewing them 1st against how your fuel lines run between the fuel tank and the water seperator. The sensor is a spinning, mechanical devise making it vunerable to obstruction, fategue, electrical stuff and an incorrect install. The long troubleshooting guide may indicate the need for care on an install like this. It's a balance between the plus/minus, need/want. We're a go-slow, short haul, fair weather vessel and consumption calculations are well established for given RPMs and loads...for the 280 single 305: 6-8 GPH at 8-11 knots depending, 12GPH+ at a planing speed of 14 knots (100 gal fuel tank). For twins or go-fast use, these divices may be useful for speed/distance/fuel remaining calculations. Again, type of vessel, usage and install quality are factors to consider. Also, unexplained increase in indicated consumption can point to some sort of running problem. Familarity, good maintenance and consistent piloting go a long way in maintaining predictable fuel consumption.

They are cool...and maybe more...

Lorelei's fuel/range policy is: 1/3 outward bound, 1/3 return, 1/3 reserve. Always maintain a full tank at dockside or at departures. We use the 30 gal. Todd Fuel Caddy for fueling. Filled at a regular gas station, filled while stitting on its back in our truck's bed, unloaded using ramps and rolled out to the slip etc.- saves money!

roy       

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 27 2008 at 08:53 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

redbarontu:Ihave floscan gages on mine and like them,they are a real help for engine diagnostics as far as fuel flow and consumption I put them behind the wheel and put the in line fuel sensors out of the way behind the tank( see pictures) I bought them at boat us for 140.00 each.I split the two at 60 gallons each (tank holds 125)and set the alarms (low fuel) at ten gallons each,that leaves me the 1/3(roughly) that roy talks about.Fuel off the truck here on MARCO is 4.45 gallon.If I could figure a way to do it,I would rip the engs out and couple a really big electric motor to the trans,and run it off a generator. it is a thought that I am working on. Or---how about a nice hydraulic pump running the trans???Or---buying the home ethanol maker that fits in your garage (I've seen them advertised)and make your own fuel,they put an ingedient in the ethanol to make it taste bad so we won't drink it.could leave that out and have fuel for the boat and myself too what do you think capt heavy ?

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 27 2008 at 08:54 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

66's floscans

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 27 2008 at 08:55 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

66's sensors

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 27 2008 at 08:57 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

close up floscan

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 27 2008 at 08:59 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

geesh,I gotta go and clean that wheel

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: May 27 2008 at 09:11 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, boatman and everyone else. I feel your pain. I fished  in a  tournament sat. and sunday. Paid 4.75 a gal. at Finest Kind Marina. On top of that, we fished hard for 2 days and only caught 2 cudas. Thats why they call it fishing and not catching. I like the fuel for yourself part.. Have any of you guys heard of HHO technology? It's somethig I'm working on for my truck, then my boat. Supposed to increase mpg 20-50% or more. Google up HHO and you can see there's a lot of interest on this subject. Regards, Capt. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: May 27 2008 at 09:40 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Baron, shoot me an email on a cost, shipping info and and costs to zip 28110

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: May 27 2008 at 16:47 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Boatman, has anyone replaced their gas engine with a small diesel and ran bio yet? a friend of mine has purchased 2 vw diesel pick up trucks and converted them both to run of cooking oil once warmed up with diesel.  i dont see why this cant be done with a small volvo, lyman, or perkins. especially around here, theres more fish camps than anything that would prob be happy to get rid of their waste oil.

floater.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: May 27 2008 at 22:41 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi Guys,

I was away in Vermont all weekend so havent done any boating or writing into the fourm...nice postings.  Floater, I too took no offense to your comments regarding Memorial Day.  Within Boy Scouts and the volunteer Fire Department we do a lot of community service activities around such days of recognition and it is especially nice to see our soldiers and country recognized in many other aspects.

I am very interested in installing a fuel flow meter on my single screw Cat, perhaps a project for later this season.  If I needed to replace my engine, I am very interested in tne Volvo D4-300HP, should make her move real nice and the future potential to convert to bio-diesel is very alluring.

I was talking to a guy on the NY to VT Lake Champlain ferry (guess I did go boating) who had a VW with the 1.8L Diesel and was running bio-fuel which is vegetable based oil slightly refined, had similar performance and economy however was difficult to come by.  He said he mixed it with the petroleum based diesel which trimmed the cost of the fuel. 

The other alternative is converting the diesel to a "grease" motor which involved burning used cooling oil.  This is easier to come by and usually free, but cannot be used in colder climates as the oil turns to a solid at relatively hight temps (just leave used cooking oil out at room temp for several days and you'll see it becomes a solid).

As long as my gas mercruiser does not need to be replaced, it will not be cost effective for me to convert...but if a new motor is in your future may be something to think about.

The projects continue and nothing is completed yet...

Regards,

Tom

"MY WAY"

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: May 28 2008 at 08:18 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, yall. Yanmar makes a nice little 4 cyl diesel that produces 240 hp. Converting gas to diesel can be costly since you'll need a new gear, wiring harness, gauge cluster and possibly a new prop, since diesels produce hp at a lower rpm. fuel savings should be significant, though, at least double mpg at cruise, more at lower speeds. Capt Heavy

Edited by Capt. Heavy on May 28 2008 at 08:29

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 28 2008 at 09:32 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

OK:Idid some lookin yesterday on heavys hho very interesting,might be a way to go,also looked at elect motors,the DC electrics go all the way to 500 horse power the 300 hp dc's cost 10,000.00 same as a new gas engine (HUH?) what a coincidence,anyway,think about it a generator,two pistons,running a big old honkin dc motor with it coupled to the same transmission,with new elect controls,and off you go,the savings has got to be tremendous,and the way it's going it may be the wave of the future for us.I have a 20 foot shamrock with a 351 ford in it and am seriously thinking of trying this scheme on it first.I know, a lot of work to convert and a lot of questions,the first being that old word that says it all TORQUE AT THE TRANS.so feel free to chime in and let's see if we can stop these oil thieves in their tracks. the thieves have us right where they want us,gas engines everywhere,and now we pay..Hinckley has elect boats and I saw the other day they are working on a hydrogen power pack that will allow even bigger motors.I'm not angry or anything just frustrated that we are being taken advantage of.. so chime in either way it's good to see what we think as far as our boating lifestyle goes.

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: May 28 2008 at 10:46 | IP Logged Quote floater251

all, go to www.marinedieselusa.com, thay have a repower based on the gm 6.5 ltr that is a direct replacement for the mercs, both i/o  or inboards. suppose to be able to use all the same gauges and rigging!

floater

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 24 2013 at 00:15

]
] ]
191 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version