View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 03 2008 at 09:25 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Thanks pop pop, diver, I will do that today and let you know.baron,where are you?lost in the bilge?????Capt.heavy,yeh my 294 is the same way,at 6'6'' 200 lbs,no way can I get behind the fuel tank.My mechanic is really small and climbs in there with no problem,what were those guys thinking by putting so much stuff in there???? all boats should have a removable back deck..Hope you get going so your mom has a good time.

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: May 03 2008 at 11:40 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

floater,

On the Carb. secondaries: They rarely open. Only at full throttle and even then once the engine settles, the accelerator pumps to the secondary jets shut down. They are designed to provide punch out of the hole. Mfgr's originally designed engines for car use and are adapted to marine use by companies like Mercruiser. Things like different camshaft profiling for constant RPM running, exhaust stuff and anti spark throughout etc. are added by these Marine companies.

BTW, on our 280, After pulling everything out, I can just squeeze in through the gap between the fuel tank and the hatch edge.  Lorelei is the single engine model with the 100 gal tank. I'm 6'2", 270 and in good shape. The space inside is larger, but narrow with full beam space here and there. Obstructions are the trim tab pump, rectifier, rudder cover/ cable assembly and the muffler...for a 6'4" guy...maybe not... risk of getting stuck or jammed. I am sure there is a big differance in availible space between the single and twin engine models.   Access dockside for routine work and inspections is possible on my boat, but I do so only with careful planning.  I stay calm, move slowly and always have someone to assist or a cell phone within reach. It's a tight squeeze, and very close...but just possible....at least with the single engine.

Roy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: May 03 2008 at 18:07 | IP Logged Quote floater251

All...

just got back from a cruise on the floater. with the arrester off, snapped the throtle and the secondaries are working fine. with the garmin, i was at 25 mph at 3800 rpm. i opened it up to get her going and it seemed to plane out, it held to 4000 rpm, once planed out i backed her to 3500 and she held fine. dropping to 3000 rpm the nose started to rise, at 2500, my wake was catching up to me. i guess i just was to scared to be that aggressive with her. you know...i love that boat. i do not have any regreats purchasing her.

ya'll have a good evening. taking mrs floater out for her b-day!

floater jim

poppop
"Seaman"

Posted: May 04 2008 at 08:43 | IP Logged Quote poppop

floater

Do you have trim tabs on the boat?

Back to Top Printable version View poppop's Profile Search for other posts by poppop

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 04 2008 at 09:15 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

happy birthday MRS.FLOATERglad to hear all is well with the floater.pop pop has a good question..trim tabs make all the difference in the world.

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: May 04 2008 at 22:33 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

Hello cat owners,etal:   Some interesting post lately, I have enjoyed them all; haven't had much new news. Yes boatman I guess I'm still stuck in the bilge. Red Baron is back in the water; but still working on the stringers and motor mounts. I  have two more mounts to fix and then the engines to align. Unless I get anolther surprise the boat is all ready as far as maintance and repairs. Hope to start using the boat some while I tinker on cosmetic and interior projects. If fuel keeps going us as it has for the past 30 days I may do more tinkering than runing. I have yet to closely check out things like the Refer, Head , Fresh water tank Water heater ect. They all seem to be ok; and I'm due for some good luck so I'm expecting the best.  Some good news it seems that all my leaks, deck Hdw. stuffing boxes. windows and thru hulls are now dry; I really like seeing no water inside the boat and a dry bilge.

Floater, I have a set of Bennet trim tabs, used, but working good as far as I know. To the best om my knowledge the set is complete except for the switch. If you are interested, let me know. A friend took them off a 25 ft chris planing to transfer them to another boat but never did. The price would be right.

Red baron Oriental NC

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: May 04 2008 at 22:46 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

Boatman: I forgot to comment on your transmission leaks at the dip stick. I had that problen and found out that the handle part had screwed out of the rubber plug and was not compressing the rubber plug when it was turned after putting the dipstick in the tranny. I fixed it by holding on to the rubber plug with my fingers and screding the handle down snug with the stick out then putting it back in the tranny and screwing the plug down. Wow, hope you can understand that, after rereading it I'm a little confused. Any way my leak stoped.

Red Baron

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: May 04 2008 at 23:53 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Red, excelent. I forgot about the procedure Ayou said to secure the dipstick...well said.

On the Refrig: I keep my Norcold running at all times, mindful to see the door stays closed...there's lock-pin on mine to drop into place during heavy seas, so we secure that whenever we are not aboard. I also make sure there is a fair amount of things inside to create a 'tempreture restistor' to help the Refer get into regular thermostst cycling- in my opinion, it is adventagous to leave a refer running that not. I also installed a outside temp monitor from Baxter Medical with a probe inside and the display velcroed to the door. It displays highest and lowest temp acheived between resets ( which I do everytime I come aboard) and displays current temp. It rums on1 AAA Batery and cost about $60...verrry useful!

On that water tank..suggest flushing 2/3 times or emptying it using the Galley spicket and refilling with about a tablespoon of lemon scented clorox---will freshen a 25 galon water tank.

Hot water: I Leave off but am sure to cycle it a fair amount regularly. I have replaced the H2o heater 2x in the last 7 years using a Lowes 5 Gal. heater for $125.00 per. The sencond time I got it right by masking access ports etc and painting the exteror with rubberized paint. I cut 1/2" thick rubber spacers for underneath using RTV to keep the sheet metal casing protected from water...WaLa!

Head: I assume you have a Thetford unit with it's intergal holding tank...a really geat design to my mind. The best additive BY FAR is the Thetford powder in those little alunimun one time use packets...really works and my better half appreciates it. Check for leaks where the pumpout pipe passes throught the engine room bulkhead. Other that that, if you have recerc flow when you press the electric motor button, you're probobly good to go...no pun. I disassembled mine, minding the rubber gasket9 the head unscrews into upper and lower shells, blew out the internal seperating-screen of salt and buildup, cleaned the viewport and reinstalled. I keep a spare pump assy. on board. It has never failed. We always keep the head water freshened. If curcumstance doesn't allow that, a second packet suffices..but it will take a bit of time to the odor to go away...but it will work. 

Roy 

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: May 05 2008 at 07:00 | IP Logged Quote floater251

nope, no trim tabs. something i would like to have but is not in the budget at this time. may be a good fall/winter project. thats 4-500 $ i dont have at this time.

floater.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 05 2008 at 09:01 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Baron,good to hear from you,yes ,about two months ago buddies and I were out and the stbd engine began to oscillate up and down up and down,turned out the dipstick in the tranny had indeed worked loose and sprayed fluid everywhere.cleaned it up,held the stick as you said and cranked that sucker tight!!now a slight dampening on the trans tail-checked stick,seemed tight,also a slight oscillation again on the engine.that's wahat leads me to think the stick is just plain worn out.Am taking pop pops and divers hints to see if that is the problem,maybe tomorrow,right now waiting on the plumber to clear a backed up drain tn the house(always something huh)FLOATER,amazing what a couple of extra hundred pounds will do to a boat not coming up on plane-alone boat right up people on board -what a dog!!next time,see if she takes longer to plane with people on board,may be twice as long.that's the fun- testing to see what her capabilities are.diver as usual, is right on again,I also leave my refer on all the time,that way it is cooled down when I'm on batt.power only and doesn't cycle as much.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: May 05 2008 at 09:25 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, y'all. got he rudder linckage back together on Mystic Diver II. Just have to install new rudder plates today. Rolled on two coats of bottom paint thia past weekend ( oh my aching back). Just have to move the jackstands and paint the bare spots.

Hey floater. These guys are right about trim tabs. I had a set of bennet trim tabs on my 251. Makes a hugh difference at 2500-3000 rpm, or when you have xtra weight on board. Also helps in a cross wind, keeping the boat from listing into the wind.

On the subject of water heaters. Just be aware that most heaters from Lowes/Home Depot are not ignition protected. In plain language that means a spark can be created when the thermostate points open/close to turn heater on/off. If the heater is in the bilge/engine compartment and gas fumes are present, there is risk of boom boom. Even though my heater is not in the engine compartment, it is in the bilge under the cabin sole and there is still the possible build up of fumes. If you run the bilge blower while the heater is on, then you'd be o.k. Just be cautious. Capt. Heavy

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: May 06 2008 at 21:10 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

Hello boys and girls:  This will be a special day in the history of Red Baron. All the motor mounts are now repaired and back on the Stringers. All that's left is engine alignment; gonna let the pro do that. After a little "Crusing around" I plan to plan to start getting the ground tackle squared away. The Bow sprit and roller are installed already. A windlass and chain locker and she ready to anchor. My plans are to build a locker very close to what Boatman did. My preference is to use 150 ft pf 1/4 hi test chain and about 100 ft of 1/2 nylon. That should be about 180-200 lbs plus the extra weight of the locker; my guess about 25 lbs. I think the boat should be able to handle that much weight in the bow without any serious handling problems. Any one have any comments or experience with that amount of weight in the bow?

Red Baron Oriental NC

poppop
"Seaman"

Posted: May 06 2008 at 21:20 | IP Logged Quote poppop

These boats are stern heavy to start with, you should be fine.
Back to Top Printable version View poppop's Profile Search for other posts by poppop

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: May 06 2008 at 23:17 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Hi Baron,

Sorry, needed to chime in, but we want be sure :  With a proposed 150 ft of chain, the windless is designed for chain...right? Reminder: windlesses are designed for either chain or rope rodes but not both, except the chain types that have a spooling winch feature. (I hear there are some new designs that advertise they do both at the same time. sound expensive.  Be sure you have the correct size (weight and dimension) rode for your spacific windless- the Mfgr's operating manual will have the spec on this . B4 buying chain, you may want borrow a length, weight it with your anchor and run it through to test? Windlesses are designed for spacific chain or rope rode sizes.

I'm not positive, maybe the boys will weigh in on this: if one has a chain windless, is it pointless to have part of it a line rode, (not withstanding the spool thing mentioned above)?  From what I recall, rope windlesses typacally have some length of chain connected to the anchor which can be hauled aboard, but not the other way around....?

With chain rode, I think one uses a 'snubber line' to keep the chain from torquing and banging...rope rodes stretch. Both types have their goods and bads...depends on how the vessel is used. 

Around ground tackle, safety first, gloves etc. Be aware at all times and watch your hands, ...windlesses can be very dangerous, especially for those with little practice!! 

Fair winds, Roy

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: May 07 2008 at 09:23 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Red. I'd say roy is on the money on this. Just my opinion, but I think you'd want all chain or all line, not half and half. Also I think having all chain is a bit of overkill on a boat that size. And if the windlass ever fails and you have to pull the anchor by hand line will be a lot easier to pull up. I have 1/2" anchor line on my 33, with 6 ft of 5/16 chain and don't have any problems, although I promised first mate next boat will have a windlass.

Splashed Mystic Diver II yesterday. No more leaking rudder box. Rudders no longer flop around like a fish on the deck. Capt Heavy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 07 2008 at 10:03 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Red baron,just go with all rope rode,thats what is on my 294,no chain at all,I anchor all the time and have never had a problem(not to say one won't occur)think about this,you are anchored,the anchor is really jammed on the bottom no way is it coming free,how do you get free??CUT THE RODE!! how are you going to cut the chain????I'd rather lose a hundred feet of rope and an anchor than a hundred feet of chain. this is just food for thought either way-that is really great news on the boat,splash time is comin up fast. keep sluggin baron!!! Way to go capt.heavy,I think down the road I'm looking at the same rudder situation.I had to peplace the tie bar between the two last year,cc had installed a galvanized bar (can't complain,lasted twenty some years)the new one is stainless,if the boat goes down I'll pull that for sure and my minimechanic retightened my packing glands and said they have no more adjistments left so keeping an eye on leaks in that area.so far so good.one other thing guys,noticed on idle out to the gulf that the stbd prop shaft was wiggling in the rubber hose connection but on throttle up is smoothed out,anyone else seen that??the shafts are new and the props are new.and not out of round or bent.engine is aligned properly also.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: May 07 2008 at 10:25 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey Boatman66. Thats good advice for redbaron. I was diving a shallow reef near the beach last year. got caught by a strong current and couldn't make it back to the boat. (first time this has happened to me in over 30 years of diving. scared the hell out of me). Told the first mate to cut the anchor line and come get me. If I had chain I'd be somewhere in europe by now. Learned by my mistake. Bought a longer current saftey line. Won't happen again.

Same problem with my rudders. No more adjustment. repacked with 1/4" teflon packing. Should be good for 25 more years. Replaced rudder tie bar some years ago w/galvinized pipe. Keep corrosion block on pipe threads, this is where it will rust out. Capt. Heavy

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: May 07 2008 at 10:50 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi guys and gals, nice posts over the past several days...

RedBaron, I just went through the anchor issue as well.  I have a Good windlass which accepts 1/2" rope.  I set it up with 150' of new half inch twisted and a Lewmar 14lb plow anchor.  This should be more than sufficient for my situations which consist of anchoring in a maximum depth of 12', (typically 6-8'), all sand bottom and moderate wind and up to 18" chop. 

I am expecting to splash her this afternoon so I havent had a chance to try the new anchor set up yet.  I went with the plow mostly for asthetics...I like the way it sits on the bow roller better than any other hooks.

I agree with boatman, heavy and others about sticking with an all rope rode...weight savings, having to weigh it manually, etc.  Also, as far as the weight of the chain is concerned, it will need to be a pretty beefy anchor locker.

I am sticking with the stock anchor locker for now as we will be using the v-berth and I want to retain as much space as possible. The 150' of 1/2 inch fits in it with room to spare.

Regarding the rudder, I just had the marina repack the assembly and it is in good condition, not sure if it is stainless and if a bearing is present, will need to check.

Other projects in progress:

Headliner- removed, will be resealing the windows before new headliner goes in

Cockpit/lazarette deck hatch- was delaminated, I remover the wood core from underneath and epoxying in a new core

Replacing the fresh water pressure pump and will need to intsall new faucets in the galley and head.

Replacing the shower drain hose to the pump as it is not in existence 

Replacing and rewiring the wiper motors (went with the waterproof AFI units)

Replacing and rewiring the horn

I figure while the headliner is down and I have an all-access-pass to everything, I'll get it all redone.

Tom 

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: May 07 2008 at 11:45 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Baron,

Although 66 makes a good case for an all rope rode, I would consider including 10-15 feet of chain at the anchor end for three reasons that I can think of:

1) Most anchors are designed to dig in when backing down. The arm of the anchor arm tip needs to to be positioned correctly to do this and chain weight helps do this. 

2) When one has a good bite, chain weight/slack laying on the bottom tends to minimize anchor shifting- a critical thing to be able to do. In other words, chain helps  maintains good dig-in even when the boat is pitching....up to a point.

3) A very good feature the a rope/chain confuguration is to include at the point-of-connection a seized (lock wired) swivel shackle(s). This allows the rode to twist and turn without binding or tangling.

I have 2 identical rodes w/anchor aboard, one stowed behind the fuel tank. My rode system include: 300' 1/2 nylon 3 strand rope/15' chain/25 lb Danforth anchor/2 seized swivel shackles/ chafe shackles, length markers and a fender tied the the end of the rode inside the locker in case it runs fully out. This is not really expensive, just labor intensive to assemble.

The Length markers are a good thing to...very useful,  along with 2 pairs of gloves.

Roy

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: May 07 2008 at 11:59 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

More good advice from roy. Capt. Heavy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 08 2008 at 08:45 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hi guys,yeh the anchor thing is really a preference on what works for you,it has and will be debated for a long time,all advice here is really correct,and really good.I guess the main thing is location of the boat and it's usage. Here in the gulf off sw fla.immediately offshore it's really flat and sandy,or muddy,depends on where you are,while miles offshore at the big towers,reefs etc. you can lose that anchor in a heartbeat.and wether it's chain or rope it's gone.I know a charter capt. who has lost several systems to those reefs.most of them have a setup like diver,5 to 10 feet of chain attached to the rope rode.and all have the plow anchor,which is still another debate.but that is what is good about this forum,getting all sides of the story,not just one side yeh??  Nauti cat you are a busy guy!!keep up the updates,can't wait to see the end result. Am really anxious to see what you did to the cabin roof in place of the mouse hair.regards botman66

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 08 2008 at 08:48 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Capty.heavy: what is going on??lake o is in fire!!! news said the fire is five miles long.wow is the smoke over you?? we get smoke from our fires on the buggy side when the wind is right.not too much fun.I still want to make the lake trip someday,maybe we can tie up.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: May 08 2008 at 09:03 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey. Boatman! No smoke over here. We have had ESE wind and that blows the smoke north west of us. Seems like lake O can't get a break. And yeah, if you ever make that trip we can try to hook up. Stuart is a really cool town. Not too big, not too small. Plenty of marine services and several waterfront watering holes. I keep Mystic Diver II right here at the Hinckley Yacht Service Center in the Manatee pocket, a well protected cove in Port Salerno, just outside Stuart. An old fishing town, we still have quite a few commercial fisherman here. Capt. Heavy

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: May 08 2008 at 11:04 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

The challenge of the Gulf or for that matter anywhere with the same type of geology: sand and mud bottoms. Mud holds, sand doesnt and coral/rock/debris fields just takes it.   Perhaps the gating factor is knowlege of wind and current conditions in your operating areas. Danforth for mud, god knows what for sand.  Solution theory: For sand---perhaps SOP is to always run out a looong scope and have longer chain lengths on ground tackle. Perhaps this will keep the anchor parallel to the bottom,  avoiding getting yanked vertically in sand.  The fine art of fouled tackle retreival is certainly doable with procedures worked out in advance, including a really large razor knife, snorkel gear and disposible weights to get you to the bottom fast and leaving the weights on the bottom. Practice, practice and  God da-n it---we lost it!   I don't underestimate the difficulty to practicing fouling retreival- but at least working up plans A,B and god forbid plan C.  

We operate in the SF Bay, so mud gives us a no brainer bottom and always holds well if pretty messy. Even on a short scope a Danforth holds well if it's not too windy/choppy, say 5-7 knot winds.  Really knowing the area's bottom geology is a good thing..studying N.O.A. charts along with local knowege helps.

Roy 

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: May 08 2008 at 11:35 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

O.K. guys. Here's a little trick we use in s.e.Florida when we know we are going to anchor on a reef. This is for danforth anchors only!!!! Drill a hole in the bottom center of anchor. ( opposite end of shank where you would normally attach chain.) Remove shackle and chain from shank and install them in new hole in bottom of anchor. Then lay the chain along the length of the shank. Using plastic wire ties, secure the chain to the shank where you would normally attatch the chain. I use three 8 inch wire ties to do this. Drop the anchor as you would normally to, maybe adding a little extra scope. Whe it's time to retrieve it, if the anchor gets hucg up in reef/rocks/wreck, pull in as much rode as possible, tie off to cleat, using forward propulsion, the wire ties snap and the  chain is now pulling from the bottom of the anchor.  Anchor pulls out of the reef. It works every time. I wouldn't try this in rough conditionsBut works great in fair weather. Hope I didn't confuse anyone. Capt. Heavy

poppop
"Seaman"

Posted: May 08 2008 at 17:49 | IP Logged Quote poppop

Heavy

That is cool the way you rig your anchor. I am going to do the same on mine. Thanks for the tip.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 08 2008 at 19:50 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Yes that is a very good way to retrieve a jammed anchor I think I have seen a similar system advertised,but it also had a balloon type thingy that floated above the anchor to another rode(?) that if it got jammed you motored over to the balloon and retrieved that line straight up,I like the capts way much better and a lot cheaper too many thanks cap 

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 08 2008 at 20:04 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

OOPS!!! forgot guys,got a memorial day cicular from west marine today they have LED UNDERWATER LITES in the circular that mount on the surface of the hull,only 299.00 two to a set yum yum white only I think.will investigate

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: May 08 2008 at 23:20 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

hello guys:  Thanks for the come backs and advice on my anchoring questions. It was all interesting and good advice. I think boatman was right, in that we have to evaluate our wants and needs and how we'er gonna anchor; type of bottoms, depth of waters ect. also if we'er gonna use it as a lunch or fishing hook or if we'er anchoring over nite ect. I lived on the hook most of the time for over three years all over the the Bahamas and caribean. I used an electric windlass with a dual chain/road gypsie which worked very well. I used a 55lb delta with 200ft of 6

5/16 hi test chain and 150ft of 5/8 nylon road. My snubber was a v type that attached to the chain and a cleat on eash side of the bow. The delta was good in mud sand and grass but harder to set in grass. This rig held my boat in several storms of 50kts and the boat never draged the anchor. Once after a five day anchorage in 20 25kts it set over 5ft deep in sand; I had to dive down and dig it out. This would be a big over kill for the 29 Cat, so I now want a mini system that works as well that i can fit to the 294. I like to do overnite anchoring and want to know that the boat will stay put in an unexpeted blow.

My port engine is now aligned, it went well hopefully tomorrow will yield the sme sucess on the starboard side. Getting to this point was expensive, untimely and flusterating, will be happy to move on.  RED BARON ORIENTAL NC

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 09 2008 at 08:39 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

YOU GO RED BARON!!!!!!look back thru old posts,you will find my anchor pulpit pix,it holds very well in 10-20 knts in sand.haven't overnited yet tho--maybe a slightly larger anchor??

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: May 11 2008 at 19:16 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi everyone, happy mother's day

I got the boat in the water this past week and yesterday morning practiced docking for about 1 1/2 hours (remember, I have a single screw).  There was some current from the tide and 15mph wind which was hitting my port side when backing into the slip.  I tried all the methods in the post from a few weeks ago and they were on the money.  I first practiced in the bay to get used to the way the boat handles then tried it at the actual slip. 

Like you guys said....practice, practice, practice!

Tom

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: May 12 2008 at 08:42 | IP Logged Quote floater251

cat!

Your instructions worked well for me, im glad thay worked for you too. i have found ovar the past fiew weeks of going out on the floater, ive learned some of her quirks that have made it alot easier to pilot, and, also to look good while backing her in infront of onlookers. the more trial and error, the more confident one will become. alke, keep a note pad with you while you take her out . you will find alot of things you need that you would never have thought of until you need them, even big things you will over look. for instance, last saturday, anchored in the middle of the lake, no one around but me and my wife. i got a wild hair to dive into the lake just to find out the built in fold out ladder in the swim platform is NO way to get back into the boat. after a pulled back and and a severe bruise across the stomach, i was able to roll myself onto the swim platform like a beached whale. my wife was not much help, she could not stop laughing long enough. but, thats on my "list" of needs.

good luck, and welcome to the water!

jim

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: May 12 2008 at 10:13 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Thanks Floater....

My swim platform ladder is also on my to-do list.  It is only 2 steps, not in the best of shape and since the platform sits about 10" above the water line, it will probably be pretty useless.  I am going to buy a 3 or 4 step under platform mounted ladder, Overtons has a nice stainless 3-step one for $130. 

"MY WAY"

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: May 12 2008 at 14:57 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hey guys, check this out...

A song by a group called The Shanes..... "Chris Craft No. 9"

Here is a link I found where you can listen to it, just scroll down to just under the photo of the '45' and click on the MP3.

http://ironleg.wordpress.com/2008/04/11/shanes-chris-craft-n o-9/

"MY WAY"

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: May 13 2008 at 08:27 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, guys. On the subject of boarding ladders, the ladder I have on my platform is made by windline. It is a four rung all stainless ladder. It collapses into itself so it lays flat on the swim platform when not in use, so there's nothing laying against the transom to obscure the boat's name.The ladder is a bit on the narrow side, but it is strong enough to hold me in full scuba gear, and I ain't little.

Flew my Mom and brother down for mother's day weekend. Managed to get her on the boat for a little sightseeing cruise friday. Afyer living in N.J. near the delaware river all here life, She was astounded by the Beauty of S.E. Florida. With winds out of the west, the ocean was flat calm, the water nice and blue. She loved it. Took brother out fishing next day. He's never been fishing before, got 3 amberjacks on at the same time. Looked like a chinese fire drill. They are flying home today. Talk at ya later, Capt Heavy.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 13 2008 at 09:23 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hi guys,if anyone is interested here is a site for a really good set of ladders,DiveNDog.com I also have the really short lower steps off the platform and have the same problem that floater has,especially since a buddy of mine stepped on tthe thing sideways and bent the 3456 out of it.it is no longer good.I am going to get the unit that mounts under the platform in the near future. Just food for thought.  Other things--way to go heavy,glad to see you enjoying the boat!!nauti and floater keep up the good work guys that is the only way to be cool--use use use that boatallright off to work on the boat take care boatman

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: May 13 2008 at 10:33 | IP Logged Quote floater251

guys, thanks on the ladder tips. i wish there was a boat salvage yard around here, i wouldnt mind getting a 3 step that might need repaired.

capt. heavy...what i wouldnt do to cruise the floater in blue water. i would be happy to just see 6 inched down. north carolina lakes are like mud puddles, not much better at the coast.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: May 13 2008 at 10:48 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hey Floater...what Lake are you on down there in NC?

We took a weekend trip to Lake Norman, were thinking of moving to there at one point in time, but we are staying put for now (Long Island, NY).

"MY WAY"

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: May 13 2008 at 11:05 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Yeah, Floater, it's pretty sweet. After boating in N.J.,Delaware and Maryland waters all my life, it's a boaters paradise. During the winter, N.E. winds can churn things up, but during summer most times the wind lays down and the ocean can be flat as a lake. Average visability near shore is 30 feet or so, but can be  much better off shore. Even in the river, at high tide, the water clears up. Watertemps in late summer in the mid 80's. The party at the sand bar goes into full swing. Lots of eye candy. Capt. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: May 13 2008 at 14:39 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Thanks for the visual capt, now i really hate the lake!!!

nauti, im in lake wateree. its really in south carolina, just northeast of columbia. its not really that bad there, its not as big as norman but only 1/10 the traffic. its what i would call a beer drinkin redneck lake. never seen a patrol boat yet! i think the worse thing about a lake is all there is is the other side, then, turn around and go back. its not like you can chart a destination, except for the other side. i wish i were in Norfolk VA. i would love to dock the floater there. its only 5 1/2 hours from here. oh well...

floater

]
] ]
191 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version