View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 25 2008 at 08:28 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Lookin real good DEWYRedbaron,yeh my engine bolts had the same problem,I opted for GIT ROT,POURED INTO LARGER DRILLED HOLES,along with oversized hardwood dowels,and new pilot holes followed by the same sized lags.So far,everything is staying put...I put a piece of tape on the drill bits as a marker so that I wouldn't drill thru the hull. Of course my engines were out of the boat which made it easier.to gain a lot of access without the engines out-pull the two lags,loosen the lock nuts on the mount,then loosen the top bolt that holds the shaft in place,work it free,and pull the whole assembly out,you now have a real clear shot at the holes for straight drilling. do one at a time or do the fronts first by putting a board under the engine to keep it fairly well aligned.a,lso what diveryates said is good advice also capt heavy. It really is no big deal,just make sure to take your time,and the reward will be great,as you won't have to worry about it again.And yeah these boats can be exasperating at times just like the old lady heh heh So I have to take a few days off here,I'm partnered with a couple of guys in a P/A system,and we are doing sound for the monster truck show here in Naples FL,I,ll post some pix later.keep up the good work guys

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: April 25 2008 at 10:28 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Dewy, beautiful craft! took a vacation last sep to norfolk, williamsberg,va beach. big dream to cruise the bay. going again this sep. looked everywhere last sep for a private small craft tour of the aera, everyone looked at me like i was crazy. any suggestions for when im back up there?

floater.

poppop
"Seaman"

Posted: April 25 2008 at 11:50 | IP Logged Quote poppop

What kind of small craft are you talking about?
Back to Top Printable version View poppop's Profile Search for other posts by poppop

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: April 25 2008 at 12:53 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Somethhing around our size. i stopped bu 3 marinas and asked the office if anyone would take me and my wife around for a couple of hours for 3 to 400 dollars.thay all said we would have to charter a fishing trip, a dinner cruise or a big boat sight seeing tour. i was just looking for a privete owner who was interested in a tank of gas and a couple of hours of cruising. something for ya'll around the bay to think about.

floater

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: April 25 2008 at 13:43 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Gents,

There are many remifications to private tours for renumeration. Not the least of which is legel stuff. Lots of unkowns make this sort of thing in the good 'ol US of A  a risky proposition.

Suggestion: Do some advance research.  contact/visit a lacal yacht club during a club dinner, monthly meeting etc...make personal contact.... holding out the carrot of an outing so one might admire the beauty and function of a proud owner's vessel out without suggestion of fuel, food, or drink. Perhaps to contribute after the fact? Generous human nature being what it is, chances are something might be arranged. 

Roy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: April 25 2008 at 14:25 | IP Logged Quote floater251

OOOOOHHHHHHHHHH, I SEE! sounds to much like work. So, standing on a dock waving a bottle of 100 year grand marnier wont work? really, i will take your advise and try to rub elbows.

floater.

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: April 26 2008 at 23:28 | IP Logged Quote floater251

nauti cat, i wish you were here tonite...

ok, went out for an evening cruise and when i got back to the marina, i almost puked...next to my slip was a small house boat with a large group of people admiring the floater (remember my docking abilities). i pulled up, slip to the port side and stopped. like master yoda talking to luke skywalker, i remembered these encouraging words "turn hard port with short bursts in reverse" well. the back end spun around right into the slip, first try! i looked like ive done it 1000 times! THANK YOU for the lessons! going again sunday to do it again!

thanks again, floater.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: April 27 2008 at 21:32 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi Floater, glad to hear the docking worked out.  Since I got my Catalina at the end of last season I have not had a chance to try docking.  I was going to put her in the wahter this weekend but the wind was pretty strong (20-25 mph) and I did not want to take any chances as me and my "crew" (wife and kids) as we are not yet familiar with this boat much less docking a single screw inboard.  Besides....I am not finished prepping her so I decided to hold off the launch.

I'll let you know my experience and I am glad it worked out well for you!

Tom

In over my head?!?!

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: April 27 2008 at 21:36 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi Floater, glad to hear the docking worked out.  Since I got my Catalina at the end of last season I have not had a chance to try docking.  I was going to put her in the water this weekend but the wind was pretty strong (20-25 mph) and I did not want to take any chances as me and my "crew" (wife and kids) are not yet familiar with this boat much less docking an almost 30' single screw inboard (yes, I have liability insurance).  Besides....I am not finished prepping her so I decided to hold off the launch.

I'll let you know my experience and I am glad it worked out well for you!

Tom

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: April 27 2008 at 21:55 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update on the work...

The marina finished the engine work, along with the normal tune up and maintenance, she needed a new intake manifold.  Turns out the automotive performance engine shop that built the really cool almost 300hp 5.7L used a few non-marine parts including the intake manifold.  Since the boat does not have a closed cooling system, I learned that salt water, electrolisys and aluminum engine parts don't get along.  Well...$900 later she's running great with her new marine parts.  The bottom's painted, new zincs, and all maintenance completed.

I got the replacement seawater strainer cover from Chris Parts but it did not fit, was about 1/8" too big.  I had a local marine plastics guy make me one out of 3/4" thick polycarbonate and it worked like a charm.  He even trimmed the cover from Chris Parts for me and now I have a spare. 

I had the isenglass in the side curtains replaced and the canvas looks great.

New anchor installed on the pulpit and new rode through the windlass.  I went with 150' of 1/2" twisted.  I probably could have fit another 50' in the standard locker but I like the way the 150 falls in from the windlass.

I still have to replace the freshwater pressure pump and other assorted plumbing items.

I need to look into resealing all of the windows before getting the new headliner installed, see pix of this project below....

Regards,

Tom

In over my head?!?!   Can't stop now!

"MY WAY"

poppop
"Seaman"

Posted: April 28 2008 at 06:16 | IP Logged Quote poppop

Hey cat! What are you putting back up in place of the mouse hair?
Back to Top Printable version View poppop's Profile Search for other posts by poppop

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: April 28 2008 at 07:51 | IP Logged Quote floater251

cat, shes looking great! you know, the couple of times weve been out, we have had some great fun. Awsome people at the marina. a fiew hours of calm away from the craziness of every day. but, as quick as it came, it may be gone. i got a call sunday from one of the workers at the marina. he made me an offer on the floater that is hard to refuse. im going to see him tonite after work to go on a "test drive". so, if he buys, i'll be on the hunt for "FLOATER II". Yes, it will be a chris. well fellas, i'll let ya'll know.

Jim.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: April 28 2008 at 08:17 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hey poppop,

The guy who is going to do the installation showed me a few samples of this material which I am not sure what it is called...it is a tight weave of nylon with the texture of tweede.  So it is not carpet or shag, more like a berber.  Probably go with a neutral color.  I wanted vinyl however between all the curves and issues with streaching the vinyl around them, and the length and width of the area the seems were going to pose a problem.  A hangng headliner like in all the big yachts would have been nice but the $$$$ was too much.

Hey Floater,

Hope you get you price nd there seems to be a lot of nice Chris' out there.  I hope to upgrade to something in the low to mid 30's in a few years...it will also be another Chris.

Tom

"MY WAY"

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 28 2008 at 08:54 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hi guys,not to change the subject but for your entertainment here is where I was this past weekend.MONSTER TRUCK JAM NAPLES FLA. We do the pa sound system for them as well as the world famous swamp buggy races.A couple pf pix,grave digger airborne,and up close as well as our own SWAMP BUGGY QUEENS which at the end of the swamp races the winner gets to jump in the water hole with heh heh

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: April 28 2008 at 08:58 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

And now it's time for the southeast Florida fishing report. Battling 5-6 foot seas, myself and crew landed a 10lb dolphin and then a 31lb bull dolphin. Took about 30 min. to get him in. Last week we caught two 10 lb dolphin, a 19 lb dolphin, a 24 lb dolphin and a 43 lb. WAHOO. Now thar's good fishin. Capt Heavy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 28 2008 at 09:00 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 28 2008 at 09:01 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 28 2008 at 09:02 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: April 28 2008 at 09:02 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Keep on truckin'! Capt. Heavy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 28 2008 at 09:10 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Pop Pop,nuati: My mouse hair is in ggod shape but I would also like to replace it.How much trouble to pull the stuff??I,m sure it was also a sound proofing situation. anyone replaced the fake wood trim that is around the cabin walls yet?mine is a composite type and getting to look bad.I,m thinking some sort of thin lexan painted to match.I have 12 volt rope lites behind it which we call the ambiance glow. 

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 28 2008 at 09:11 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Keep on fishin heavy sondes like some good times

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: April 28 2008 at 09:18 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Yeah, that's just one of the reasons I moved down here from Delaware. Fishing, diving and boating year round. Luv it! Ain't never goin' back! Capt Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: April 28 2008 at 09:34 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Cat, good move on the headlining. if the floater does not sell today, i think that will be one of my fall projects. it will be a do-it-yourselfer. surfing the internet, i found some people cutting panels out of foam core project board, then covering with 1/4 foam, then rapping with a lightweight vinyl. they used a heavy grade of hook and loop tape to hold the panels up in place. seems like an inexpensive way that can give  a high end look. either way, i would like to get rid of the old teddybear hanging from my roof. lord knows what can be living in that.

capt heav, sounds like an awsome weekend! the all i got to see was the dead crappie floating around the slip. do you have any pix of the catch?

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: April 28 2008 at 09:58 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

I have some pix, but I don't think I can post them on the forum with this pile of junk computer. However, I'll gladly e-mail them to anyone who wants to give me their e-mail adress. Promise not to send anyone any junk. Capt Heavy

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: April 28 2008 at 10:05 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Boatman, Floater, all,

Pulling the old shag down was not that difficult, took me about 3 hours taking my time from pulling all the teak trim that holds the topside handrails, bunk hardware, overhead galley cabinet and all of the panels behind the helm to actually pulling the shag.  I did not have to remove the fake wood trim around the cabin to remove the headliner and in my CC, the trim is in excellent condition.  At first I thought the headliner would be sandwiched in between the hull and topside, but it was not.  The glue was so loose between the shag and the fiberglass, it was like pulling very tight velcro apart. 

Since I do not want any potentially absorbant material in the head, I am going to have 1/4" closed cell foam glued to the fiberglass ceiling to smooth out the edges and then marine grade vinyl.  That sould be easy to clean and keep mold/mildew free.  I will also try to seal with weatherstripping all of the panels that enclose the backside of the helm to keep moisture from the shower fetting in there.

Once the headliner is done, I am going to install laminate/pergo flooring through the middle of the cabin.  I like the look better than carpeting and should be easily replaceable when it wears out in a few years.  Thank goodness everything else in the cabin is in good shape, I am running out of funds.

Finally, when all this work is complete, maybe I will get a decent offer and upgrade to the next project, but not for another couple of years.

Tom

"MY WAY"

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: April 28 2008 at 10:26 | IP Logged Quote floater251

cat, keep the pix coming. i need all the ideas i can get. funds are low here too, the automotive buisness is slow, so, everything done to the boat will be DIY. i havnt messed much with upholstry, but i am handy with the carpentry.

floater

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: April 29 2008 at 07:56 | IP Logged Quote floater251

All, the floater did not sell. took the guy and his wife out, he wanted it bad, she wanted something faster. i dont know, but i could not get the floater to plane. i was at 4000 rpm and i bairly got 1/4 hull out of the water. does this seem right? i dont know the prop size/pitch, engine had plenty of power (rpm's jumped right to 4000)

how does the other singles out there do?

floater.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: April 29 2008 at 08:24 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi Floater,

My 280 with a single 5.7L Mercruiser did the following at the seatrial with the surveyor, 1/2 fuel (50 gals.) and 4 adults on board:

700 RPM/Idle - 3.8MPH

2800 RPM/Slow Cruise - 13.7MPH

4400 RPM/Wide Open - 29MPH

Unfortunately I do not know the size and pitch of the prop, but these measurements were taken with a clean bottom and running gear.  I dont recall the exact speed/RPM she got on plane but I will let you know once she goes in the water.

Regards,

Tom

"MY WAY"

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: April 29 2008 at 08:40 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Floater,

MMM.. to bad...she wants more speed huh?...she likes playtime!

Your prop is probobly underpitched.  Meaning the angle of the prop blades are not suficient to take full advantage of the engine's horsepower. Have a diver remove the prop and take it to a prop shop. They will determine the  props current pitch angle and make recommendations.  While the diver is down there, have him ID the zincs and make a list of what types are used. Have him replace the worn ones when he returns to install the re-pitched prop. on the 1st dive, ask the diver check how much distance there is between the prop tip and the hull. Greater than about a 2" gap means the prop is undersized. Ask the diver take hold of the drive shaft after the prop is removed. Check for play in the strut pilot bearing and movement in the strut it self. A little movment for the pilot bearing, none for the strut. 

Test drive...should be able to get her up on plane if there is'nt too much stuff aboard ( full fuel tank, full water tank etc).

All the best...

Roy

poppop
"Seaman"

Posted: April 29 2008 at 09:10 | IP Logged Quote poppop

I don't push my 251 over 3200 rpm's at 18 kts. If I push it to 4000 rpm's I can get her up to 28 kts.

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: April 29 2008 at 09:53 | IP Logged Quote floater251

All, something must be wrong. im going to borrow a friends garmin this weekend to ck my actual speed. i dont think shes well. it feels like im dragging an anchor. rob (past cc owner) will be going out on it this weekend. i wheel see what he says.

floater

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: April 29 2008 at 10:14 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, floater. sound more and more like you picked up something on the prop. As far as prop size, the next time you have the boat out of the water, the diameter and pitch SHOULD be stamped on the hub of the prop. It should say something like 14 x 13. the first number is ALWAYS diameter, second number is pitch.

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: May 01 2008 at 08:31 | IP Logged Quote floater251

just a thought....

if the secondaries on my carburator are not opening, could i be lacking the power to plane? just thinking of everything to check when i go out saturday.

floater

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 01 2008 at 08:44 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Floater: yes you can check them (secondary's with flame arrestor off)while under way,throttle probably 2/3 way up also before leaving,check timing if you can,are you counter rotating? if so you may have to advance it more than called for.Is the carb the original??may just be fuel starvation. 

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: May 01 2008 at 08:52 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, floater. If your engine is winding up to 4000 rpm, I would say the carb is o.k. If your boat is proped right, it shoul be up on plane @ 2800 or so.

Well I started a dreaded project I'e been putting off. I had the yard dogs Haul Mystic Diver II out so I could do a bottom job. Have a few gelcoat blisters that need to be fixed. Will repaint the boot stripe, wax the hull and paint the bottom with 2 coats of Pettitt ablative paint and use prop speed on the props. The rudders need to be repacked. now thats a problem. Some brilliant engineer placed the fuel tanks less than 2 feet from the transom. Once I get down there I can't move. Going to enlist the help of one of our mechanics, "little John", he may be able to get down there. Anyway, I'm going to try and get this all done by next thursday. I'm flying in my Mom and brother for mother's day. Would like to take her out on the boat to show her the sights. She's never been to Florida before. Going to be a busy week.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 02 2008 at 11:51 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 02 2008 at 11:57 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hi guys,problem;;--the above dipstick to my trans seems to be letting fluid out,even when really tight.is there supposed to be an O ring under the cap?? the other trans does not have this problem and the two sticks seem to be in the same condition.there is no fluid showing anywhere when running at all speeds.(just got back from a test run)but the tail section is wet.anyone had this happen to them?maybe I should get new sticks.-borgwarner vevet drives one to one ratio.anyone have a web site for these?? many thanks guys

poppop
"Seaman"

Posted: May 02 2008 at 12:12 | IP Logged Quote poppop

boatman

You say the other one does not leak. Try swiching the dip sticks and see if it leaks on that side. if is does than it is the dip stick.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: May 02 2008 at 13:25 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

#%^&*#@ boats. When does the fun start? Got one of our mechanics to repack the rudders on mystic diver II. He's a lot smaller than me and was able to just fit into the lazarett. However, when we found that the rudder plates were corroded beyond repair. And THEN we found that one of the tiller arms were cracked. Only good news is it only cost me 3 cases of beer to repack the rudders. Our machinist welded the crack and welded and redrilled the holes for the clevis pins because they were wallowed out. He also made me new rudder plates out of STAINLESS STEEL. Yahoo! Now I have to try and put it all back together by hanging upsidown. This ought to be fun. good thing I have a good supply of ice cold beer on the boat. TGIF. Capt Heavy

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: May 02 2008 at 13:27 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

The transmission dipsticks are rubber gasketed ( no o-ring) on the bottom side of the stick cover. Always have the dipsticks twisted tight on the access hole whenever the engine is on. The transmission fluid pump bolted to the front of the gearbox operates at pressure whenever the engine is running. 

Compare the two sticks to check condition of these rubber gaskets. If cracked, torn, flaking...replace. Fabricating a gasket should be a small matter. Pay particular attention to how it's secured. I beleive the stick pertrudes through the gasket, so that will help...

From the pics (excelent you did this!!!), the dipstick looks fine. 

Roy

]
] ]
191 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version