View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: February 24 2008 at 18:22 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

Smile HELLO BOATMAN, DIVERMATES, NAUTICAT, ETAL.

HOPE EVERONE IS WELL ; BOATS RUNNING GOOD AND PROJECTS ON SCHEDULE. FINALLY I HAVE FINISHED MY ENGINE PROJECT AND MY MAINT. CLOCK IS NOW ON ZERO. NEXT WEEK I AM STARTING THE RE BEDING OF DECK HARDWARE AND WINDOWS. WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE WHO HAS REBEDDED THE WINDOWS HOW DID THE JOB GO DID YOU TAKE THEM APART ECT.  I AM ALSO THINKING ABOUT REPLACING THE CURRENT ELECTRIC ALCOHOL COOK STOVE. HAS ANYONE DONE THIS? IF SO WHAT DID YOU REPLACE IT WITH. I AM THINKING OF A SMALLER STOVE MAYBE A SINGLE BURNER LEAVINNG SOME ROOM TO BUILD IN A STORAGE SPACE, ANY IDEAS ?

A COMMENT REGARDING THE RECEINT SUBJECT OF ANCHORING. AS A LIVEABOARD SAILER DOING LOTS OF ANCHORING AND AFTER USING SEVERAL STYLES OF ANCHOR, THE DELTA PLOW DID THE BEST JOB FOR ME. I ALSO BELIVE IN CHAIN AN ALL CHAIN RODE WORKS GREAT. SMALL HI TEST CHAIN  WOULD BE GREAT AND NOT THAT MUCH WEIGHT.

KEEP UP THE COMMENTS GUYS - RED BARON IN N.C.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: February 24 2008 at 20:38 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi RedBaron,

Thank you for the feedback on the anchoring, I picked up the Delta plow and will install it with new rode (rope for now, we do not do a lot of long term anchoring and the windlass does not accept chain) so we'll see how that works.  Glad to hear good feedback about the plow style, I was a little hesitant.

I too need to replace some of the cockpit/stern rail deck fittings and a couple of the flush mount fishing pole holders, I'll keep in touch on this progress.

My Cat has the 2 burner alcohol-only stove which we do not intend to use.  I was going to eliminate it (we are intending to use only a micro, electric fry pan and toaster oven for short weekend trips) and convert it to storage access to the back of the big cabinet.  But, if we were to replace the stove... I like the look of the glass panel electric-only cook tops, single or dual...whatever my wife wants I guess.  If you anchor often electric-only may not cut it.  A lot of the stoves on West Marine's website may have end user ratings which can be very be helpful.

Dewy, welcome aboard!  When you have a chance, why not post a photo of your boat?  Just use the Image Upload button  Image Upload and make sure the images are less than 100kb. Looking forward to seeing her...

Regards,

Tom

Edited by Sonja Lowe on October 23 2013 at 11:49

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: February 25 2008 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

HELLO DEWEY:

ONE REASON FOR MY PREVIOUS POST WAS TO WELCOME YOU ABOARD: DUE TO MY FUMBLING FINGERS I HIT THE SEND BUTTON TO QUICK. I KNOW YOU'ER GONNA LOVE YOUR CAT; KEEP US POSTED ON YOUR PROJECTS-ADVENTURES.NORFOLK IS NOT THAT FAR FROM ORIENTAL HOPE YOU GET DOWN THIS WAY SOMETIME.

NAUTICAT, THANKS FOR THE SPEEDY RESPONSE AND THE PICS. THE WOOD INSIDE YOUR BOAT LOOKS GOOD, HAVE YOU RECENTLY REFINISHED IT

REDBARON, ONC.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: February 25 2008 at 10:52 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Thanks Red Baron, actually it is all original but in need of a good cleaning and polishing.  I would like to replace the overhead cabinet with something a little larger and more functional.  The roll-up door is actually split horizontally in 2 places and I need to decide what to do.  I am worried that the bulkhead to ceiling angle is not quite 90 degrees and to fit another cabinet may take some modification.

Other plans for the galley include a good cleaning of the fridge, replacement of the faucet with one with a taller spout, possible replacement or removal of the stove and did I say a good cleaning???

Regards,

Tom

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: February 25 2008 at 12:13 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Hi Cat,

Re you galley stove. CC had a factory 2 element, 110 VAC electrical stove called the 'Princess'. I beleive is availible at west Marine, but is in any case it is availible. We have this setup on our boat and it works good- not great, but sufficient as it is designed to operate with a 30A breaker without blowing... which happens sometines if the water heater is on. it does the job, just a slower slower. This 'Princess will drop right into the footprint of your Alcohol  stove...a big plus. We hinged the stove for ease of access to the top shelf underneath (all the way to the back) is easy. One of the great features of the 280 is lottsa storage space and hinging the stove takes full advantage of that. At anchor, we use one of those butane canister type warmer/stove  things that are popular with hotels, catering etc. They work VERY well, are compact and safe.

To compensate for the limited galley functionality, we custom bulit a microwave/ bar arrangment which works great...see attached.

I surmise you are having heart burn concerning the function of the Cabinate's roll up doors ? Nothing on the boat has 90degree angles. I use cardboard to scissor out templates for fitting, make a mock up for finish fit, then fabricate. This stratagy works well.

More images to follow- looks like the site is limiting image quantity...not sure what that's about. Any thoughts on that will help. Each photo is 37 k MOL so I don't see what I'm missing.

Roy

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: February 25 2008 at 12:56 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

more images:

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: February 25 2008 at 13:28 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Thank you Roy for all the info and that cabinet looks great! 

"MY WAY"

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: February 27 2008 at 20:59 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

HELLO CAT OWNERS'

BOATMAN, SINCE YOU AND I HAVE THE SAME BOAT I WANT TO ALERT YOU TO A SERIOUS PROBLEM THAT I HAD. BEHIND [AFT] OF THE STUFFING BOX THERE IS A SHORT HOSE THAT CONNECTS TO A FLANGE WHERE THE DRIVESHAFTS EXIT THE BOAT. MY HOSE OF THE STARBORD SIDE SPLIT LETTING IN A STREAM OF WATER ABOUT 3/8 OF AN INCH. SINCE I WAS AWARE OF A SMALL LEAK IN THAT AREA I NOTICED THE LEAK PRETTY QUICK AND HAD TO RUN ABOUT 20 MINUTES WITH THE BOW UP HIGH AND THE PUMP RUNNING. I ARRAINGED A HAUL OUT UNDERWAY AND DIVERTED ANY WATER DAMAGE INSIDE THE BOAT. THE PROBLEM HOSE HAD DETERORATED FROM INSIDE OUT LEAVING ONLY A THIN LAYER OF HOSE WITH LITTLE EVIDENCE OUTSIDE TO SUSPECT A PROBLEM. BOTH HOSES ARE BEING REPLACED AND BOTH FLANGES ARE BEING RE-BEDDED AS THERE WAS EVIDENCE OF LEAKS THERE ALSO. IF YOU HAVENT INSPECTED THE HOSES AND FLANGES BEAWARE OF A POTENTIAL FAILURE.

NOT BEING FAMILAR WITH THE 280 SERIES I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THEIR SET UP BUT WOULD THINK IT IS SOMEWHAT THE SAME. SO 'A WORD TO THE WISE'. THE LEAKE COULD HAVE CAUSED A SERIOUS PROBLEM

REDBARON ORIENTAL NC..

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: February 27 2008 at 21:11 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi RedBaron, nice save!  and thanks for the warning.  My 280 (single motor) does have a similar set up.  See the photo...is that the hose you sre talking about?  Seems like this should be a regular maintenance item to be replaced regardless of inspection.

Tom (mr. photo )

"MY WAY"

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: February 28 2008 at 01:13 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Hi Cat,

Looks like what you have there is a drippless coupling assembly. It should not leak at all. Might want to take a look at the shaft log and 'T' fitting for the hose inlet on the coupling with a mirror and flashlight, or better still.. check it under way.  To the left is the raw water thru-hull fitting, valve, hose to the raw water pump and the steering cable. To the right is I beleive, the transmission (Marine Gear) actuator cable.

FYI: there is a spring loaded locator ball inbedded behind the gear actuator lever. It helps lock the lever position for the gear control valve. Remove the lever and check the action of that ball bearing. It should run freely in/out on its spring. If no spring action: free it up with lube etc and use compressed air to actually blow the ball out... I got stuck on that and found it really works!  Replace the ball and spring, load with marine grease along with the actuator lever. Make sure all of a busted spring parts are all removed. Another thing to inspect while doing this is check for transmission for oil leaks at the control valve where the lever is screwed onto. If it's oily there, you may have worn O-rings/gaskets on the valve. If you get the parts in advance, this is a very easy thing to service and a powerful maintenance item.  

Fair winds, Roy  

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 29 2008 at 08:49 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hi guys,I've been anchored to the bed for the last 5 days with the#**$@#flu,probably got it at the boat show,ah the price of boats huh?? baron I do not have that hose on my drive shafts,I have just straight shafts to the logs with the packing nuts,I've thought about the dripless units but think they are too troublesome.so far everything is ok in that dept. for now! diveryates is right on about the shifter assy,also make absolutely sure that the dipstick on the trans is tightly secured,I had one that was loose and lost the trans fluid which made the engine speed up and I thought I had lost the trans,but it only turned out to need topping off.So now I always turn the dipstick tee handles to make sure they are tight as part of my pre-sailing check list.I'm off today to buy a pix compression program to use on this sight,I looked into the ones online and they all have too much extra junk attached( really drives me nuts) so i will see whats out there.Haven't really started any projects yet,but looking forward to doing so thats it for now.keep boating

Edited by Sonja Lowe on October 23 2013 at 11:50

gcameron
Admin

Admin

Posted: March 11 2008 at 10:18 | IP Logged Quote gcameron

You can try sending the pic as an email attachment to yourself. Most email programs will ask you if you want to reduce the file size.
Back to Top Printable version View gcameron's Profile Search for other posts by gcameron

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: March 12 2008 at 09:56 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

thankyou gcameron,but I was talking about the signature photo,not the forum ones,we pretty much have that down.I got to the part where my five photos are imbedded,but can't seem to advance past that as per terri's instructions,dated 26 may 2004.I'm wondering if the instructions are for windows vista,which I have,or for the programs before vista?I'm going to try again today.many thanks for your input. 

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: March 12 2008 at 10:19 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

gcameron,ok,everything is set but when I get to the part about the blinking highlighted url,which is blinking, there is no edit/copy bar and when I try to go to message boards on the left,it displays page cannot be found.something is not correct. Either I'm not reading it correctly,or there is a misprint on your part,or as I said earlier,this is not vista supported.HELP GROVEL GROVEL (we do a lot of that here) thanks again boatman66  

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: March 21 2008 at 09:43 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

where is everybody??

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: March 21 2008 at 10:50 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi Boatman, I was wondering the same thing ....

Just thawing out here in NY.  I am currently working on the lazarette hatch as the gelcoat delaminated from the core and I will be tackling the cabin headliner soon.  She should be ready for the H2O in late April.  This year my time is split between my CC and my Seaswirl which I am making ready to sell.  Once the Seaswirl is with her new owner I can focus 100% on the CC (prettly long to-do list).

Pretty interesting conversation in the Connie's forum regarding fuel economy, anyone following that?  I wonder how we can relate that to our Catalinas.

I'll post more photos as the work progresses...happy spring!!!

"MY WAY"

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: March 25 2008 at 08:29 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

thanks nauti cat,yes,my to do list is also long but thats what I enjoy,making her better,hope you sell the seaswirl,my 20' shamrock however is not selling,had a couple of lookers but no takers. So there it sits..I use it once in awhile to keep it running,not many boats selling here,must be the fuel thing.still working on the pix compression thing,tried a couple of different programs but too confusing,so still looking,may have to bite the bullett on windows office as that is pretty straight forward.come on warm!! today here very windy and 47 degrees yuk take care,peter

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: March 25 2008 at 22:11 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

HELLO CAT OWNERS:

HAPPY TO SEE A LITTLE ACTIVITY ON THE POST; I THOUGHT FOR A WHILE THAT EVERONE HAD LEFT FOR THE WINTER, HA. AS FOR ME I HAVE BEEN VERY BUSY ON THE BOAT. THE RUPTURED HOSE I HAD AT THE REAR OF THE PROP SHAFT SURE BROUGHT ON SOME WORK AND$$$. I FOUND BOTH PROP SHAFTS BADLY WORN AT THE STUFFING BOXES AND AT THE CUTLASS BEARINGS. ABOUT TWO THIRDS OF THE PACKING IN THE STUFFING BOXES HAD HARDENED TO THE DENSITY OF METAL; HAD TO GRIND IT OUT. THAT WAS CAUSING MY CONSTANT UNSTOPABLE LEAKE. APPARANTLY OVER THE YEARS A CONSTANT TIGHTING CAUSED THE SHAFT WEAR THAT MISALIGNED THE SHAFT IN THE CUTLASS BEARING WEARING OUT THE BEARING AND SCORING THE SHAFTS IN THAT AREA ALSO. THE CUTLASS BEARINGS WERE WORN BADLY AND A BEAR TO GET OUT. I ALSO REMOVED THE EXIT FLANGES THAT THE SHAFTS GO THOUGH AND REBEDED THEM, HOPEFULLY STOPING THE LEAKS THERE. WHILE THE BOAT WAS OUT OF THE WATER THE DREADED JOB OF REBEDING THE WINDOWS WAS COMPLETED AS WELL AS MOST DECK HARDWARE. I FOUND THAT MY CLEATS DID NOT HAVE BACKING PLATES AND MADE AND INSTALLED THEM WHILE REBEDING. I ALSO HAD A FIBERGLASS BOW SPRIT MADE AND INSTALLED THAT ALONG WITH A SAMPSON POST ON DECK. SOOO AFTER ANOTHER COAT OF BOTTOM PAINT IT WILL BE SPLASH TIME; LATER IN THE WEEK I HOPE.  UNLESS SOMETHING  ELSE HAPPENS I PLAN TO TAKE A NICE LONG BREAK FROM PROJECTS FOR A WHILE. I DO LIKE TO HEAR WHAT YOU GUYS ARE DOING KEEP US POSTED-- WHO KNOWS MAYBE I'LL GET A NEW IDEA AND DO ANOTHER PROJECT.

RED BARON - ORIENTAL NC

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: March 26 2008 at 10:23 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

you go red baron!! soundes like your baby will really be a thing of glory and function when she hits the water! I find these particular machines to be a real source of enjoyment to work on as well as operate.And when you do a project such as your prop shafts you now they are good to go,and when you look at them,you know they are correct and are not going to be a hassel.I love that!!! keep up the posts baron and we need to see pictures!! 

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: March 26 2008 at 11:53 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Ahoy 66!

Because of the roominess of the design, don't you find it a joy to do projects on the 280's? While our 280 was hauled, the boatyard's running gear guy spotted a shaft/hull flange out-of-alignment type situation. They glassed over the hull flange holes, aligned the shaft flange/strut/engine and redrilled. Solved a lot of real odd vibration and noise problems!

Time to pop a fav libation and survey the world in peaceful satisfation. 

Congrats on a job well done! It's money well spent.

Roy 

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: March 28 2008 at 09:47 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

AMEN

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: March 30 2008 at 21:25 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

hello cat owners,

winter has returned to n.c. or to my little corner of it. three days of rain, grey skys

and cold has delayed finishing my boat; still on the hard. maybe next week. it is a good thing in a way, with fuel prices as they are i'm gonna have to curtail my joy riding. local prices just hit $3.85 per gallon, what are you guys seeing?

boatman i have shoped around for the emblems on the stern, port and starboard sides, the ones with the shield in front and the numbers 294 at the rear. any ideas? the guy in fla. and the one in mane did not have them.

red baron, oriental nc

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: March 31 2008 at 09:09 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi Red Baron,

I regularly check EBay to see what folks are selling.  Just put "Chris Craft" into the search window and as I just did today, 561 items came up related to the brand.  No 294 emblems today but you can email the seller using the "ask seller a question" link, who know's they may have more or know where to find them.

Is the guy in Fl you are referring to the "chrisparts.com" website?

Tom

"MY WAY"

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: March 31 2008 at 09:58 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

redbarontu: are you talking about the long black rubber things with CATALINA294 or the small shield like emblems? I see the shields are no longer available at chrisparts but if you go back through all the posts,I believe,maybe in the first part,(message boards)there is this post from a woman who works for a guy called EARL THE PEARL who has a ton of parts for old chris'.he is located I think in michigan.anyone else who remembers that post chime in please. also,at the miami boat show I found this guy,and I'm sending him one of my chrome CHRIS*CRAFT emblems and he is going to make them out of stainless steel.He said he gets lots of requests for them but no one sends him a sample.he cuts them using a computer (with laser cutter)and they look really nice and will last longer than the originals.I bought the originals fromchrisparts last yeat and polished them before installing,and the are alredy showing small corrosion bumps.here is his phone and website he's in green bay.STAINLESS GRAPHICS,LLC  PH.920-866-9598 web add.www.stainlessgraphics.com His e-mail add is jim@stainlessgraphics.com good luck and let us know how you made out   

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: March 31 2008 at 10:07 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

redbarontu:ran out of space so an addendum,my long black things,(huh?) are made of rubber,and the letters are raised and have white paint on the letters,somewhere along the life of my cat it was repainted and the strips are not in the same place they originally were.I have a catolog from that era (1986) that shows the 294. when I can get up to speed on posting compressed pix I will post the picture,keep the faith baby and good work on the hard.this crappy weather will pass.Last fuel I got was 3.42 gal,I think the local marinas are at four something.I get mine off a truck delivered.Just stay out of those back two throats on the carb and you will be fine.the catalog says cruising speed is 17 knots,that should be with only the front throats operating. 

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 03 2008 at 08:48 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

red aron tu and all others,ok I found the guy in michigan,STAY IN THIS FORUM,GO TO THE TOP,CLICK ON PAGE FOUR,SCROLL DOWN TO CHRIS CRAFT PARTS BY POP POP,CLICK ON HIS POST,DATED JAN 19 07.YOU  WILL SEE THE POST ABOUT EARL THE PEARL FROM CANDACE.GOOD LUCK GUYS  

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 03 2008 at 09:10 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

ok GUYS I have a problem,I cannot find a replacment bulb for my jabsco searchlight,I have tried west marine and they sent a square bulb instead of the 5 inch round one,I have the book on the light and it sent me all over the net,jabsco,ITT,blah blah still no luck,jerrys marine in fla nope,no one seems to carry it,even GE web site was no help.anyone else had the same problem?? 

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 03 2008 at 09:43 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

PS the searchlight is JABSCO p/n 61025-3002 the bulb (dual element) is p/n 67296-0000.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: April 03 2008 at 11:02 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hi boatman66. Idon't know where you are located, but I'm in S.E. Florida (Stuart). I work in the parts dept. for Hinckley Yacht Services. One of our suppliers, Land N Sea, lists the light bulb you are looking for. How ever They only sell to dealers(marinas, stores, etc). If you can find a store  that deals with them they can order you one. I'm not a cat owner, but used to own a 25 cat. I now own a 331 Corinthian, that I'v owen for 18+ years. If I can be of help to any of you guys, let me know. I enjoy the forum. Calm seas and cold beer! Capt. Heavy

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: April 03 2008 at 22:08 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

Boatman, nauticat etal: thanks guys for the fast comeback and the good info regarding the cat 294 rear emblems. i'm looking into the sources. Boatman, in answer to your question I was refering to the black side emblems on the hull back near the transom. They have the small shield in front calalina in raised letters with the no. 294 at the rear. on closer inspection it seems that the black base is a type of rubber or plastic with the raised letters with the shield and numbers being a decal. the shield is a copy of the larger one on the front, port and starbord, of the coach roof. these are not a big thing with me; mine are in pretty foul condition and I thought i might replace them . If not available I will figure out a way to re-do them some way.  I'm still on the hard, waiting on a Wx break  and my mechanic to get over the flu. I will need his help on alining the prop shafts.

my boat did not have an anchor windlass I'm planning to install one that will free fall the chain/rode directly into the bow chain locker. I know someone has a system that works well, I would like to hear about how it is set up and what kind of windlass was used. I plan on enlarging the chain locker and instaling a drain to the bilge to keep the water away from the forward berth. I am thinking of taking about four inches of the cushions at the vee to get my extra room that way. any comments-suggestions? 

Red baron oriental nc

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 04 2008 at 09:01 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Capt.heavy: many thanks on the land and sea tip score on the bulb!!!! I'm on marco island,almost straight accross from you.Someday I plan on making the" big circle" through the lake,but I think maybe next year,if it fills back up,that is.  Red baron:did you check out the earl the pearl thing yet??that may be your best bet,otherwise pull them off and redo them to suit your own taste.that's what I do with anything on mine that I know I can't replace I just make my own on the anchor,mine has a bow pulpit and a goode windlass (rope only)that seems to work really well,I took it completely apart and rebuilt the thing and it has worked well for two years,so far!!I did not enlarge my locker as it holds the rope with room to spare (300ft) I do not have a chain on it.I'll shoot a pix to you of the whole thing if you send me your e-mail address as I haven't done the pix program yet

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: April 04 2008 at 10:02 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Boatman66, glad I could be of assistance. I live near the first lock on the okeechobee waterway. Right now they are only opening the lock once or twice a day, so you would have to time it just right or your stuck till the next day. I'd like to do the circle trip myself, but with the price of gas now it ain't going to happen. Mystic Diver II only gets about 1 mpg on a good day. I'm looking to sell it and buy something smaller wit a single engine. When we lived up north we used it as a second home in Rock Hall Md. Now that we live In Fl., I'm only 15 Minutes away from our dock. As a matter of fact I keep our boat right where I work at The Hinckley Yacht Service Center, rent free. Cold beer and calm seas, Capt Heavy.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: April 04 2008 at 10:03 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi RedBaron,

I, Like Boatman, have the Good Automatic Free-Drop rope windlass, the 500 series.  I am switching from a fluke style anchor with chain to the Lewmar plow style with no chain.  Since the windlass is rope-only, I had to take up the last 8 feet of chain by hand and wrap it around the mooring bit with the previous layout.  The boat is still on the hard so I havent had a chance to test it out yet.  I will use the old anchor and chain as my spare and keep it in the lazarette area behing the fuel tank.

Check out their website...http://www.goodwindlass.com/, the 500 series is $1300 with 300' of rode, not sure how that compares to other brands, they also sell chain capable windlasses as well.

The rope locker on mine is original with 200' of 1/2 inch and is probably between 1/2 and 2/3 full.

I have a photo in my 2/16/08 post on page 15 of my pulpit and windlass.

For the emblem, are you referring to this one....?

Mine are looking a little weathered too!

Tom

"MY WAY"

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: April 04 2008 at 12:42 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Tom- guys,

Yup,  striping's weathered. This is a real opportunity. Your boat is on the hard! I had to paint the striping while in the water... a chore, but this project pays off big time!!! Either for selling tool or for a spruce up with little effort and major results.  Odvously, the striping and pinstriping includes the upper fiberglass wheelhouse/cabin as well as the hull.  Remove/Unscrew all vents etc. On the hull emblem, I suggest masking off the emblem raised/ silvered perimeter and painting over the '280' logo with the Electric Blue if the sun has done its thing. Add new #'s if you got... The 'Catalina' CC emblem part was a challenge: I was able to find two plastic emblems that sort-of-fit with Drummel persuation and some RTV- other wise- paint over. That's the tough call.  The striping color is the Pettit Easypoxy #323708 electric Blue/ West Marine #349615. You'll need a quart or 2.  Prep is everything- mask, block/hand sand smooth the stripe with #100/200 grit wet or dry. You do not need to completely remove all the old stripe or put down a prime coat.  Lay down 2 coats minimum, use a quality paint brush- it goes down faster than you think, once masked.  Dilute with paint thinner a bit- it goes on easier and the finish looks much better.

A gold fleck pinstripe is a factory scheme and sets off the paint stripe, really terrific!  Always mask first, sand down the old pinstriping- don't try to remove it- won't happen, just place the new striping over the top of the old- it's easy, jus take your time and check the line for streightness. 

I'm still finding uploading pics function intermintent-The site doesn't seem to like more that one or two files at a time...so pick pics carefully...?  a test:

This pic is actually the old scheme where I tried a stick-on stripe kinda deal. Not really a match for the Electric Blue, but I was ignorent and the original wheelhouse stripes were sun baked. The stick-on stripe idea lasted 'bout 3 years and keeping a shine was impossible. the pinstriping is original..not to bad...just envision new paint and pinstriping as 3 times better...stunning really, when the basics are followed.

live long and prosper...roy

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: April 05 2008 at 21:04 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi Roy, thank you for the painting info, that is one post I will save so I do not have to search for it when I am ready.

Hey RedBaron, my entry above about the anchor rode locker was incorrect...that is what happens when I assume .   There was only 100' of rope and it was 2/3 full.

Today I removed the entire "shag carpet" style headliner from the cabin alot of work but a little easier than I thought.  Had to remove a lot of the trim around and inside the head, the overhead cabinet in the galley, the curtain rods and all the hardware on the ceiling, etc...but it is ALL OUT!!!!  Hooray!.  I sorted and documented everything so reassembly will be easy.  The worst thing I "uncovered" was the fact that the forward 20" x 20" hatch is completely shot.  I'm looking at $4-500 for a replacement, wasn't expecting that, oh well.  At least with everything apart I can inspect all the wiring and replace as necessary.  I will also look into resealing the front windows now.  I'll post some pictures of the progress once I remember to take the camera to the boat yard.

Red Baron and everyone, I had an idea about the anchor locker now that everything is apart...

With the windlass, I am wondering if I could fashion a tube or pipe at least 2" diameter, that guides the rode down into the forward bildge compartment under the v-berth.  If the rope will feed through a tube into that area, it may eliminate the dampness and smell of the partially open rode locker forward of the v-berth.   I would have to ensure when the anchor is dropped, the rope doesn't tangle (but that is what our first mates are for  )

What do you guys think?

Tom

"MY WAY"

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: April 05 2008 at 23:54 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

Boatman, nauti cat etal:  Thanks for the  comeback and info. yes nauticat your pic was the emblen i have been refering to, mine is a little different but not much. Any way i have for now decided I will have to rework the ones I have. I did check with "EARL" he didn.t have them. Natucat your idea about runing your anchor line into the forward bilge may be a problem. You would have to curve the drop pipe at least 45 degrees to turn the line into the bilge without having any free drop past the turn. I think your rode or even chain would stop at the turn. and if your forward  area of  the bilge is like mine there is not much depth there;even running the pipe straight down thru the v berth I would not have room in the bilge. I agree the musty smell could be a problem: I was thinking about cutting a drain at the bottom of the locker to dump the water drainage into the bilge. I tried your idea on a sailboat once, I had a 2 inch pipe with about 3 ft of drop runing at about 45 degrees following the angle of the bow even that jamed up the  rode. I found that the rode has to fall vertical to work well, chain will work a little better but it will stack in a bee-hive fashon and stack up pretty high before it slides off to the sides. oops out of space.  Red baron out.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 07 2008 at 10:34 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

ok,lets see

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 07 2008 at 10:44 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

more

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 07 2008 at 10:45 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

oh boy!!