View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: January 22 2008 at 08:10 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

redbarontu: I have the oil all cleaned up and the batt shelf removed,yes there are two "holes" the one with the plug is about two inches above the batt shelf,and as diveryates stated,is for water balancing in a leakage situation and the removable plug is a must if you want to keep fumes out of the cabin.AND yes there is an opening further down dead center in the very bottom of the keel that passes through to the cabin also,I guess it is for drainage from the cabin,as the air conditioner condensate drain drains into the cabin bilge area. That is the hole I was referring to in the previous post. Mine has been sealed off with some kind of caulk from the engine side,and I don't know if thats a good thing or not.So I guess we shall keep on watching,and searching this site for an explanation,if one is ever forthcoming. This is one of those things that make boating a lot of fun.Getting to solve a mystery  

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: January 22 2008 at 21:30 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

BOATMAN;  HAPPY TO HEAR THAT THE OIL IS ALL CLEANED UP! DID YOU HAVE TO RELOCATE OR MOVE ANYTHING TO GET THE BATTERY SHELF OUT? I DON'T THINK MINE WILL COME OUT WITHOUT CUTTING IT INTO OR REMOVING SEVERAL THINGS. DID YOU OPEN UP THE LOWER DRAIN HOLE THAT YOU SAID WAS STOPED UP FROM THE ENGINE SIDE? I THINK MINE IS SEALED UP ALSO BUT IT WOULD, TO ME ANYWAY, SEEM LOGICAL TO OPEN IT UP. WHAT DO YOU THINK. WILL THE SERIES 31 BATTERIES FIT MOUNTING THEM LONGWAYS BETWEEN THE ENGINES, I WOULD LIKE TO USE 4 BATTERIES IF THEY WILL FIT.

I ENJOY THE POSTS KEEP THEM COMING.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: January 23 2008 at 09:11 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

redbarontu:send me your e;mail add and I will send pix,as I can't figure out how to send pix on this forum!!I have left the lower hole sealed for now.But contiued talk about it is the way to fiinding out what is going on.Keep up the dialog

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: January 23 2008 at 09:19 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

redbarontu:duh,here is my e add. boatman66@comcast.net  After I add a emoticon,my cursor disappears and I cannot add anymore text.I don't know what is with that,but hence the additional threads,anyway shoot me your add and I'll load you up with pix.keep on dialoging,I agree this is fun and very helpful also. I tried a while ago to get the 251 catalina guys to come over to the section but the don't seem to want to,oh well.peter  

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: January 28 2008 at 08:12 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

redbarontu:got your email,first remove the batts,be careful and mark the wires so you know where they go,the shelf below should be held in by screws to two small strips that are screwed to the stringers. If that is not the case,carefully cut the board out with a saw that does not protrude more than two inches below the board,there is approx. three to four inches below the batt board before you are at the hull. I have three seperate sections of boards under the batts so I can remove a batt and pull one board,as I have my main bilge pump under there because that area is the lowest point on the boat. The section forward in the cabin has a small rope locker for the anchor rode from the anchor windlass above,the catalina did not come from the factory with a windlass and was added after,I added a starboard type panel four inches in front of that locker and it only intrudes onto the v berth by that much and my feet fit under it just fine.It serves as a shelf for beer and other things when you are at rest(hehheh) After being married for 30 years the admiral and I sleep on sperate bunks on the boat,she in the upper bunk,me on the v berth.I'll write more later,maybe other guys can chime in on the batt area.I will send you pix of that area soon.peter

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: January 31 2008 at 22:52 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

HELLO CAT OWNERS & ENTHUSIASTIC.

CAME IN TO CHECK MY E MAIL AND POST TO THE FORUM UNHAPPY TO FIND THEM BOTH EMPTHY. NOT MUCH ACTIVITY FOR THE PAST FEW DAYS,GUESS EVERYONE IS OUT BOATING. MY BOAT IS STILL AT THE YARD WAITING FOR ENGINE TUNE UP'S. WE WE ARE HAVING SOME NICE DAYS FOR JANUARY AND I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING BACK ON THE WATER AND STARTING SOME NEW PROJECTS. ANYONE  HAVE ANYTHING GOING ON ? IF SO LET US HEAR ABOUT IT.  I LOOK FORWARD TO READING ABOUT ANY THING GOING ON WITH YOUR BOATS.

THANKS AGAIN BOATMAN FOR YOUR REPLIES AND THE PICS.I HAVE ROUNDED UP ALL THE HARD AND SOFT WARE NEEDED TO E MAIL AND POST PICTURES. I SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEND SOME OUT SOON.

Edited by redbarontu on January 31 2008 at 22:54

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 01 2008 at 10:03 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

redbarontu:did you ever contact the mariners museum for the elect schematic? if not go back a few threads and look for the number of the schematic,I posted it there. If you can't find it let me know here and I'l post it again. Did you do anything with the batt area yet? also the windows appear to be one piece and seem to be installed from the outside,so being very careful, I would assume u could remove them that way. The black trim is a cover for where the screws should be,it looks like standard trim and should be available from an aluminum window manufacturer. You should be able to pull the window,clean it up and reinstall it without too much trouble,I would do that while it is on the hard,and u can keep the holes covered while the windows are out. Let us know how it goes,maybe the other guys can chime in.Also I found a connie guy that lives near me and he is going to call when he gets back to town for a visit,also he said there is another catalina owner by him,so things are lookin up in this neck of the woods   

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: February 01 2008 at 11:41 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Some of the projects of note aboard Lorelei :   myspace.com/diveryates

There has always been an issue with getting photos onto the Boat US site. In all fairness, B.U.S. can only invest so much on this. There is always hope the moderators will work the problem if we users grovel enough. 

A project that has always alluded 280's is a dink. I'm investigating and am sneaking up on a very cool solution using of the St Croix removable davit, the Zodiac Fastroller 340 and a 4 hp, 2 stroke Yamaha outboard. Weight and money is the thing. Refer to Passagemaker Magazine article Nov/Dec '07 entitled 'Growler Projects'- a very interesting read on this subject.

One other thing concerning engine maintenance: keeping the driveline sparkling, (read- rust free). Answer: elbow grease, stratgic masking and engine spraypaint. Owners think they need permission from a mechanic so's they don't scr-w up!  Not So!  It's fairly easy and often overlooked for the well-tended 280 look. I see vessels for sale with sellers proudly showing off 'scabbed' engines. To what end, I'm not sure...sorry sellers- doesn't help! Perhaps, and truely so ...there is a preseption that the ill trained of a new buyer will skip over this detail of clean mechanicals- a survayer will notice this.  I find painting the driveline to be one of the most effective ways of keeping track of problems before they crop up. Particularly in the intake manafolds, exhaust/risers, ground bolts, the transmission and shaft coupling(s). 

Edited by Sonja Lowe on October 09 2013 at 10:38

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: February 01 2008 at 13:28 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi guys,

Regarding the rusty engine, the 280 I bought this past fall did have some rust on the motor and components and the motor is only 2 1/2 years (50 hours) old!!!   Because the deal was so good, I overlooked this fact which was clearly pointed out by my Surveyor.  He agreed that the rust was a minor issue and should be corrected asap.  I will take on this project this spring as the boat is in the boat yard winterized (here in NY... some of us are not so lucky ).

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 02 2008 at 08:43 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

GROVEL,GROVEL,GROVEL,GROVEL Enough yet??ok more,GROVEL GROVEL GROVEL

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: February 02 2008 at 10:38 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Lords of Boat US..Grovel, grovel... we are not worthy! Pleeeease make photos easy to ad the the site... more grovel, grovel

oh thank you great and mysterous gate keeper!

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: February 02 2008 at 10:51 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

I figured it out...

In a new post press this button on the top row starboard side -> Image Upload 

it will open a browse window for you to locate a photo stores on your PC, click on the browse button, go to the location of your photo, select the photo by clicking once on it, click the open button, click the ok button, click ok again, and it will be uploaded.  Just make sure the photo's size is less than 100kb and it will be inserted into your posting.  if you have any trouble feel free to email the photo to me and I will post it for you - tg-426@hotmail.com.

Regards,

Tom

Edited by Sonja Lowe on October 16 2013 at 10:42

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: February 02 2008 at 12:49 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Tom- cool.. does it needto be a certain type  file , jpg, jif etc?  Trying anyway- BTW- way cool boat - paint scheme identicle to mine.

oh great and mighty Key Master, thank you!

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: February 02 2008 at 15:47 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Roy & Laurie, you Cat looks like it is in spectacular condition and I like the hard top too, she's a beaut!

Yeah, these boats are very cool, so different than all the Sea Ray types out there, tremendous amount of space, large windows, no need for an aft cabin, no outdrive, and classic lines.  Some of my friends thought I was crazy for looking for this style boat at my age (mid 30's) but now they are all envious.  Since I got her, I have received many compliments and 2 offers to buy her...I said no way!  The only time I would consider selling her is when I get a bigger CC, like the 1988 38 Catalina that is for sale in the BoatUS online classifieds...but for now, she's mine. Can't wait for Spring!

"MY WAY"

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 03 2008 at 10:51 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

ok oh great gate crasher,nuaticat,lets see----well,I tried and the server said too big an image,at 798 bites,how do you downsize?????to 100bytes??drivin me nuts.grovel grovel peter really sweet boats guys love the lines of our boats!!!!I'll e you the pix.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 03 2008 at 11:27 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

nauticat:can't seem to e mail you,server says incorrect add (server comcast)will keep trying.

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: February 03 2008 at 13:08 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Ok- neophite idiot speaking out of turm here:

Photo formating is done before sending an image to the the B.U.S. site. Any program that can resize images that are larger than 100k and ends up as JPEG should work. Check "properties" of the photo for 100K Max size in a JPEG format. The smaller the file size is better or select 'internet image'  in the camera or editing software. When you're ready to send the image, use the little guy with the up-arrow to send. 

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: February 03 2008 at 13:38 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Ok, adjusting image size now.

Pixal size is the same as File size.

Pixal or file size is not the same as image size.

oh boy, clear as muddy water, but I think I got it...

SO...

Adjusting image size to 4"x3"...

better.

OHHH thank you great and mighty key master!

grovel grovel...

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: February 03 2008 at 23:11 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

HELLO DIVERYATES, NAUTICAT, BOATMAN AND ALL CAT OWNERS. I SURE HAVE ENJOYED THE FLURRY OF POST THE LAST FEW DAYS. INTERESTING READING AND GOOD INFO, KEEP THEM COMING. BOATMAN I HAVE NOT GOTTEN TO MY BATTERIES YET. THIS WEEK I WAS WORKING ON THE ENGINES; I'M SETTING THE MAINT. CLOCK BACK TO I ZERO. CHANGING ALL HOSE,CLAMPS AND PLUGS. ALSO REBUILDING BOTH WATERPUMPS, STARTERS AND HEAT EXCHANGERS. BATTERIES WILL BE NEXT THANKS FOR YOUR INFO IT GAVE ME A COUPLE OF NEW IDEAS.  NAUTICAT THANKS FOR THE PICTURE INFO, I WILL TRY IT SOON. YOUR BOAT LOOKS GREAT BET YOU SPILLED A LOT OF ELBO GREASE. IS THE PICTURES OF THE INTERIOR YOUR BOAT IS IT A 280? IF SO YOU DID SOME GREAT CUSTOM WORK. IF POSSIBLE I WOULD LIKE TO GET A FULL INTERIOR PHOTO SHOOT. AS SOOM AS ALL THE MAINTANCE WORK IS DONE I PLAN TO START SOME INTERIOR PROJECTS.

BY THE WAY BOATMAN I FOUND A WIREING SCHEMATIC ON MY BOAT SO I AM GOOD THERE , THANKS FOR THE OFFER TO SEND ME ONE.

DIVERYATES YOU WERE RIGHT ON ABOUT YOUR COMMENTS REGARDING THE CLEAN RUST FREE ENGINES. NOTHING IS MORE IMPRESSIVE THAN A SHINNY ENGINE ROOM. I USE ALUMINUM FOIL TO WRAP AND COVER THINGS I DONT WANT TO PAINT AND TO COVER PARTS I WANT TO KEEP DRY WHEN CLEANING.

HOPE EVERYONE HAD A SUPER, SUPER BOWL SUNDAY.

RED BARON.

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: February 04 2008 at 00:20 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Hi Red Baron,

here some finished projects to stimulate thinking:

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: February 04 2008 at 00:37 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

and:

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: February 04 2008 at 09:03 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi Red Baron, the interior shots are of Diveryates' CC, my interior photos would be the "befores" to Roy's "afters".  I have a good deal of work ahead of me.  I am starting with the headliner, the seating upholstery is in decent shape, need to redo the flooring, and then polish all the woodwork.  Then I have to claen up the head.  All in all, my CC is a good solid foundation to do a little restorative work and end up with a real beauty.

Roy, great shots of your projects, your engine compartment looks great!

"MY WAY"

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: February 04 2008 at 09:08 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Here is Boatman's pride and joy:

"MY WAY"

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 04 2008 at 09:14 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Nauticat,WOW WOW THANKS SO MUCH!!!!ok,I think I got it also,here we go----

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 04 2008 at 09:22 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

ok last time for today

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 04 2008 at 09:28 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Nauticat,many thanks for all the help,I'll figure out the correct compression size down the road as now I know what to do!!! I'm toast from all this and need to go work on the boat I have seen your other pix on your photo site and now you can transfer them here,you have one of the nicest interiors and will give us all something to shoot for,as that is my next project,I'm going to start with that horrible LITTLE thing in the head!!!!I'm 6'6" and it just does not cut it

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 04 2008 at 09:31 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

nauticat,diveryates so sorry for the mistake,diveryates has the photo site,not nuticat,look for older thread.....to find it regards boatman66

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: February 04 2008 at 09:48 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Thanks guys, pats on the head are allways appreciated...roy

This is a large step in ramping up the sites usefullness. Images are starting to sprout- pictures really are worth a thousand words. Periodic review of how to upload images will help new folks get a handle.

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: February 04 2008 at 10:19 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Boatman- I rebuilt the Thetford Magic model 80 head on Lorelei. If that's what you have I can run it down, partuculary part #s and save you research time.

THe Thetford chem. powder in packets is the best I've seen. Bought a case of the stuff at a swap meet and am half way through it...geeez..more info than you guys need to know . File it anyway- wifey appreciates it- that fresh, clean lemony smell..sort of.

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: February 04 2008 at 10:22 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Alunimum foil for engine paint masking? What a cool idea!!! I will use that.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 04 2008 at 11:58 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Diveryates,thankyou on the thetford,I have the original brochure,the first guy that bought the boat kept a very nice log on her and everything that came original is backed up by docs,even the windshield.I'm wanting one of those big porcelin puppies,and if possible will retrofit it to the area.I'm off to the miami show soon and they really have everything on display.You can go to their website and download the vendors including their e add. about 10 pages long.but I like seeing in person. plus I need to see the windsheild wiper motor guy again as they have a pantographic system with a small motor that will bolt right up where they original motors are I can't remeber the manufacturer now but if you are interested I will shoot you the name when I go.I think the full sweep wipers are better than the small area that is there now.

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: February 05 2008 at 11:49 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

boatman66-

Enjoy the Miami Show, Word has it that it goes on for miles. If there's one thing I enjoy more than cruising, it's looking at boats.

If you have info on the windshields you can forward, that would be great! We carry a kayac over the front cabin. If the lashings fail, a new windshield will be needed...good to have info like this in advance. These websites are so valuable for golden info nuggets like this.... not easy to come by!

What is the C.C. 294 configuration? If the cabin is the same as ours, the head retrofit will be a project. The Thetford head sets pretty high. The holding tank is intergal underneath.  Adding a porcelian throne will lower the seat height and will necesitate adding a holding tank and all that goes with that. 

We have the 280 hard top model, so the wiper footprints are as you know- limited. I surmise C.C built the roof in part around that small, dare I say cheap Seafit wipermotor (still availible at West Marine). Thank you for offering to forward what info you find at Miami.. please do so -there's gotta be something better that fits! At this ppoint, we resort to carrying a spare motor assy as these damn things tend to crap out at the worst possible moment. A full swipe function would improve things too.

Anyway, thanks- Roy 

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 07 2008 at 08:19 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Diveryates,I sent u a pm.I have the thetford electra magic which is a recirculating type,all self contained,so yes I will have to put in a holding tank,the thing sits on a raised platform,about three inches,and I think it is the space for the holding tank on other types of commodes. the whole thing is hooked to a discharge tube to the starboard gunnel,for pump out and to a hand pump and to a thru hull valve for discharging at sea.Anyway It will be challange,and will not be done right away,need to go to miami first,and when I find the wiper literature I will forward to you.  also gonna try another pix post.yahoo!!!old engines,305's boy were they tiredok,seperate post for pix

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 07 2008 at 08:37 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

ok here we go,boatmans lod engines

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 07 2008 at 08:48 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

ok,man this is fun!!

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 07 2008 at 08:50 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

and again wow no more grovel grovel!!!!!my knees were killin me

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 07 2008 at 08:53 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

one more hehhehgotta figure out how to do multples..sally at ft.meyers

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: February 07 2008 at 11:33 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Beautiful vessel Boatman66!

Ft Myers too- Doesn't get much better than that! Pictures do open things up a lot.

The 294 has that updated forward hatch arrangment with roomier headspace above the vbirth area & twins. Is there seating molded into the forward area outside? I have always marvel at the Catalina Line in our length range: Small, roomy, simple, quality.

Think you're spot on with your head observations.

Our '83 hardtop does not have over-the-side dump capibility- pump out only.

Look forward to receiving info on the windshields, wiper & head retrofits. I predict the sites Photo upload capibility will make small work of a lot of technical issues that crop up for members of of this group. 

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: February 07 2008 at 20:35 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

HELLO CAT OWNERS:

WOW GREAT PICA AND VERBAGE LATELY I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FORWARD EVERY DAY TO SEE WHAT  NEW. I AM BEHIND ON THE PICS, DID BUYA CAMERA TODAY  THE FIRST STEP IS DONE. BOATMAN, WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I HAVE MY BATTERIES OUT NOW. BOY WAS IT DIRTY MESS UNDER THEM,SPENT MOST OF ONE DAY CLEANING IT ALL OUT AND MAKING A NEW FLOOR TO GO BACK. IN YOUR PIC SHOWING THE ENGINES IT LOOKED LIKE THE FLOOR UNDRER YOUR BATTERIES WAS REALY A GRATE; IS THAT CORRECT? I ALSO FOUND OUT THAT I DO NOT HAVE A LOVER DRAIN HOLE AS I THOUGHT. FROM THE CABIN SIDE THERE SEEMS TO BE BUT NOT TRUE ON MY BOAT. SO I DONT HAVE TO BE WONDERING ABOUT IT ANY MORE. YOUR CAT LOOKS GREAT BOATMAN. I AN INVEOUS OF THOSE NEW ENGINES.

IF ANYBODY IS HAVING COOLING PROBLEMS CHECK THE TUBE BEHIND THE PUMPS. BOTH OF MINE WAS FULL OF IMPELLER BLADES.

KEEP UP THE VERBAGE AND PIC'S GUYS I LUV EM.

RED BARON ORIENYTAL NC.

'

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 08 2008 at 08:58 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

redbarontu:  that is the pix of the old engines,I haven't taken any of the new ones yet,the grate looking thing was an old board cut with slots and was rotten. I used a starboard type material from my buddy who is a sign artist  and it is in three sections so I can remove a section if I have to.that way I can stand on the other sections to work in that area.I use only one screw for each section to hold them in place,I still have to get new batt boxes for the batts they are just sitting there for now,although there isn"t much room for them to move around, the boxes will keep them stabilized'which will keep them fromgetting banged up.good going on getting to that area,as you can see it does really get scuzzy under there and it's good to be able to clean it up.keep up the good work and we look forward to your pix..as You and I seem to be the only 294's in the group so far.

]
] ]
191 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version