View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages « 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: September 28 2008 at 21:04 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Yea Tom...I'm thinking spooling up the tranny pressure under a load and sustaining at speed for a spell to see if those 'O'rings hold a seal. There are two 'o' rings, an indexing ball, its associated spring and two cover gaskets ...if memory serves.

Again, an 'o' ring kit involves minimal disassembly- more like preventative maintenance. The shifter valve is a grooved shaft that is pulled out. There is also the neutral switch assembly on the starboard side.  Just be careful, clean ( this is hydrolics, same way in as the way it came out and dealing with the shift arm indexing ball and spring. The spring tends to fail over time (make sure you get all of it out)  and affects indexing accuracy of the shifter arm. 

Diver

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: September 29 2008 at 08:28 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

High Gang. Lots'o tranny talk going on. I agree with the use of dexron III. I have paragons in mystic diver. Shifter is in thr top center of trans. Nauti Cat, acording to my paragon manual a little "back lash noise" is acceptible. I have found out that this noise, at least in may boat, is mostly caused by an engine thst is idling rough. I had one trans that was always noisy at idle. I changed to electronic distributers threw away the old mallory point distributers and BAM, no more noise at idle, the engines idle smooth and sweet. Floater, glad to hear you're getting gas again. was a wet weekend here to. However I took mystic diver for a little ride and spotted an 8 foot hammerhead shark amout 2 miles out of the inlet. Nasty. Capt. H.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: September 29 2008 at 09:22 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Thanks Diver, I agree that the o-rings are preventative maintenance, I have a mechanic with experience in inboard trannys who will do the work but I'll watch and learn.

Thanks Capt H, the idle is not rough as much as it is very low RPM, she idles around 500-550 RPM per the tach, has electronic ign. but is not the original engine.  the second to last owner ran a hi perf auto machine shop so there is a higher lift cam which may explain any idle "roughness". 

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: September 29 2008 at 09:30 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Nauti. That explains a lot. I keep my idle speed about 600-650 rpm, and everything seems smooth. H

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: September 29 2008 at 09:39 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

yeah, she doesn't stall when docking and with the single screw I am shifting a lot when putting her in the slip using the reverse and fill method, seems less harsh on the tranny... that method really works like a charm even in the wind.  I get comments from the dock such as "sure makes it easy to dock with twins" then they are very suprised to find out there's only one.  I am also able to spin her in just about her own length when needed with that method...pretty cool!

Tom

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: September 29 2008 at 10:13 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Roger that Cap! Takes a lot of practice and skill to make it look that easy. I ran a 40 foot single screw water taxi to/from peanut island in palm beach. What a beast! Strong currents ,wind, heavy boat traffic  and forty passengers on board turns it into a white knuckle experience. Maybe luck maybe skill, but I never hit anything. H

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: September 29 2008 at 20:39 | IP Logged Quote floater251

ok! the latest on the table project. mounted veneer to 3/4 inch birch plywood, cut to table size and shape. starting to wrap the edges with hard maple. steamed and clamped while urathane glue dries. maple sits 1/4 inch higher than the table top to dam the 1/8 inch pour on bar finish and also to give a lip to keep the plates on the table.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: September 30 2008 at 08:28 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

wow floater, that looks great!!

"MY WAY"

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: September 30 2008 at 09:31 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hi Floater: That is a masterpiece If I ever saw one! Looks great and the floater will sure look good with that for a table top.SEe Ya,Bill
Back to Top Printable version View suwanneered's Profile Search for other posts by suwanneered

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: September 30 2008 at 11:54 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Floater, nice work! H

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: October 01 2008 at 10:50 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

YEH KEEP STROKIN FLOATER THAT IS GONNA LOOK REALLY NICE B66 STILL FIXIN MOWERS ETC. SALLY IS STILL IN HURRICANE TIED UP MODE,BOY IT IS KILLIN ME.....

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: October 01 2008 at 14:31 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hang in there Boatman...soon mine will be out on dry dock for 5 months  and you'll be out cruzin'

Just had the orings in the tranny repaired, refilled and it is not leaking anymore.  I found a real good mobile marine mechanic, parts and labor was $190.  Pretty fair compared to the marinas and boat yards and I did not have to drive anywhere saving gas too!

Time to go for a ride!

Tom

"MY WAY"

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: October 02 2008 at 08:51 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

WAY TO GO NAUTI CAT ENJOY THE RIDE---I'M HANGIN I'M HANGIN

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: October 04 2008 at 08:16 | IP Logged Quote floater251

whas up fellas! cat, great deal on the seal! no much time left to enjoy so keep goin!

pulling floater out sometime this month. my friends trailer is occupied right now, so sometime in the next 2 weeks we have to unload a 30 ft bayliner to mccotters marina in washington nc, coming back by to pick up the floater, clean it up and block it up at a local boat store/storage until sold. dropping another g if needed. will take 4k to keep from pulling it out of the lake. 

table is coming out pretty good. the mgr of the wood dept at ludwig drums wants me to give it to him to spray on and bake the finish they use on their high end drums, pretty cool.

well, yall have an excelent weekend!

floater.

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: October 05 2008 at 19:31 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Well All, its finished....

floater.

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 05 2008 at 20:00 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

HI Floater: That looks great and I am sure your proud of it as well. I am a fair wood butcher but that is out of my league.Ha I would have needed a whole box of bandades! See Ya,Bill
Back to Top Printable version View suwanneered's Profile Search for other posts by suwanneered

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: October 05 2008 at 20:10 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

awesome craftsmanship floater!!!

"MY WAY"

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: October 05 2008 at 22:37 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Wow! Beautiful!

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: October 06 2008 at 09:30 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Floater, fantastic! well done. Boatman, take a break, your cat misses you. H

poppop
"Seaman"

Posted: October 06 2008 at 10:21 | IP Logged Quote poppop

Nice job on the table jim.

Back to Top Printable version View poppop's Profile Search for other posts by poppop

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: October 06 2008 at 10:44 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Thanks Guys!

hopefully i will be pulling her out next weekend. i still have alot of scrap maple and teak veneer. i may make a new door to the head. the better it looks, the better chance to sell!

Yall have a good week!

floater

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: October 08 2008 at 09:57 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

way to go floater,that is really nice makes me want to do something like that,yeh heavy sally is screamin for me,but duty calls--I have to rebuild the steering sticks on a 687 john deere today,that will take about three hours,then meet an electrician at a condo so he can trace buried wires so a sprinkler guy can come in and put a new system around their pool  seems when you have reclaimed  water for irrigation (mandated by the city)you have to have fresh water for irrigation 50 feet all around the pool area. I guess the reclaimed water can make you sick  real cute huh????gonna cost the condo a lot of money and now they have to use fresh water again..what the is wrong with the people in charge??have they all lost their minds???? ON ANOTHER NOTE THE F1 SPEED BOATS ARE COMING TO NAPLES NOV 1&2 RACING ON A LAKE SHOULD BE A REAL BLAST..THESE GUYS LITERALLY FLY IN THESE THINGS. TAKE CARE GUYS SEE YA LATER BOATMAN 66 

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: October 08 2008 at 10:47 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, gang. Hey, boatman. As for your question, you can't lose something you never had in the first place. (a mind) Don't blow a gasket. Have a beer. The boat race sounds like fun. As for me, the last few times I had Mystic Diver out the port engine stalled out at low rpm for no aparent reason. Hit the starter switch and it starts right up and runs fine. Already replaced the starboard ignition module in the distributer. Since I had replaced both distributers at the same time I think the port one is ready to go also. Ordered a replacement module from jerry's marine. Can't take a chance on losing an engine while 10 miles off shore. Our inlet to the St. Lucie river can be very nasty on an outgoing tide. Don't want to come thru it on one engine if I don't have to. "Ignitor" module cost me about $100. Worth it for peace of mind. Will keep you updated. Capt. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: October 12 2008 at 17:17 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Hello All! hope everyone has a good weekend. went today for a final outing on the floater. very peaceful. only us on the lake. installed the table, turnrd out great. yall have a good week, floater.

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 12 2008 at 18:21 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Gee Floater: That table looks great and I am very sorry you need to sell her however I ahve been there and done that several times in my life. So keep plugging and the situation will be brighter down the road.. Regards,Bill

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: October 16 2008 at 10:17 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey gang. Floater, just took a look at your table. All I can say is sweet! Great job. For you guys up north, this is a sad time of the year, putting your boats away for the winter. Winterizing engines, water systems and covering boats is not my idea of fun, but it has to be done. About the only good thing to come out of winter is doing all the little boat projects in my basement work shop. Seems like I got more of them done when I lived in Delaware. Just had to listen to the first mate complain that I was stinking up the house with paint, varnish, resin, etc. And let's not forget making too much noise with table saws, jigsaws, grinders and sanders. Now I have a garage, so she dosn't complain anymore. Been working on a new cabin entry door. Taking my time and dooing it right. Installed new ignition module on port side distributer. motor runs great. Gas price $3.07 this morning on the road, 3.79 on the water. Let's hope it keeps dropping. H.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: October 16 2008 at 11:46 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hey...I got 3-4 good weeks left and I am gonna use them

Last spring once the boat went in the water almost all of the projects came to a hault.  Now after using her for a full season I know exactly what needs to be done and will work on the projects over the winter.  My big to-do is getting the cabin windows resealed which I did not want to tackle in the water.  Once that is done I can restore the cabin (new headliner, re cover the v-berth and bunks, new flooring, deck hatch, etc).  I also need a new water heater, larger holding tank and new sink faucet in the head.  We'll see what actually gets done based on time and budget.  Unfortunately I do not have the space at my house to keep the boat so I need to do everything at the marina, and bring tools and materials back and forth which impacts the time factor...oh well

Floater...table looks great!!!

Tom

"MY WAY"

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: October 16 2008 at 11:59 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Nauti, sounds like you have enough to keep you busy. Resealing the windows may be a pain. I alway had a leaking problem on my 25 cat's front windows. The frame was pop riveted into place. I tried re-sealing around the glass and frame, but it never stopped leaking. I traded up to my present boat before I had a chance to remove the window and do it right. My guess is life-seal would be the stuff to use to re=caulk the frames if you pull them out. H

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: October 16 2008 at 12:58 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Thanks Capt H.  Both front windows leak from all around and the port and starboard sliding windows leak from between the alumnim frame and fiberglass.  I have a feeling I will have a problem with the hardware that holds the windows in place, looks very brittle and rusted which is why I did not want to do while in the water.  I figured it would be easier from a ladder on the hard with drilling out the holes, cleaing the surfaces, resealing and installing with all new SS.  No sense redoing the cabin with water coming in each time it rains.

Tom 

"MY WAY"

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: October 16 2008 at 15:31 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Nauti. I asked our carpenter forman what he would use Boatlife Life Seal on windows. It has some of the qualities of both silicone and 3m 5200. Heavy

Dewy
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 21 2008 at 19:53 | IP Logged Quote Dewy

Floater,great job on the table top.Heavy winds have been keeping me tied up for 3 weeks and again this weekend,grrrrrrrr

Check out this site for a new fum craft, www.gibbstsch.co.uk  ,got mind on order now, Not. would be kool though

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 24 2013 at 00:21

Back to Top Printable version View Dewy's Profile Search for other posts by Dewy

Dewy
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 21 2008 at 19:55 | IP Logged Quote Dewy

sorry guys misspelled site www.gibbstech.co.uk

Back to Top Printable version View Dewy's Profile Search for other posts by Dewy

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: October 24 2008 at 15:13 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Gang, the forum has been way too quiet. Anyway, Dewey, I feel your pain. The last several weekends down here have been nasty. Last saturday was nice so the first mate and I headed off shore in search of blackfin tuna and dolphin. Put out 5 trolling lines. 2 deep, 3 on top. Scattered bubble grass everywhere. picked up had to clear lines of grass a dozen times and finally got all 5 lines tangled at once. Enough already! A flybridge boat is not easy to troll alone. Up the ladder, down the ladder, back up the ladder.  Gave up, bottom fished a while, got a small shark, small black seabass and a blue runner. Only good thing mystic diver ran great. This weekend not lookin' good, so I'll fish the river and hope to pick up a flounder. Ya'll have a great weekend. Heavy

Brian2008
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 25 2008 at 05:19 | IP Logged Quote Brian2008

Catalina Yachts is a U.S.-based builder of fiberglass monohull sloop-rigged sailboats ranging in sizes from eight to 47 feet in length. It was founded in 1969 in Hollywood, California by Frank Butler.

==============================

Brian

Our mission is to provide high quality end to end solutions to the BPO segment in a manner that will improve the operational efficiency while reducing the cost of the services to the client.

4thdimension1@gmail.com

Back to Top Printable version View Brian2008's Profile Search for other posts by Brian2008

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: October 27 2008 at 10:07 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

And now for the south florida weekend report. Rain and wind. Then sunday afternoon SUNSHINE!!!!!!. And more wind. Took mystic diver out, anchored near the inlet, caught snall snapper. Moved  to another spot. no fish, but when I pulled up the anchor I had a fish net tangled on it. WHAT A MESS. left it in a pile on the bow. I'm not about to throw it back in. did manage to catch some nice black drum fish, so the day wasn't a total loss.Boatman, what are the prevailing winds on your side? Ours is east or northeast in the winter, which sucks for us. Heavy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: October 28 2008 at 09:27 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

BRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! Hi guys,well things are going pretty good on this side of the gulf,still fixin mowers and gettin real antsy to ride SALLY (hehheh)had the SWAMP BUGGY RACES this past weekend and theywere as usual a muddy blast.Now this coming weekend we are doing the P/A system for (get this) the world famous F-1 speed boats,the 17 footers with the v6 outboards that go 145 mph and turn on a dime.They are racing here in naples on a lake in a park in town.I will really try and get some video of this to post on u tube.Maybe you have seen them on the speed channel,they (speed) will be filming this race also.so until my work is done--see ya!!!

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: October 28 2008 at 10:23 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Roger that boatman. 54 degrees today, talkin about 40's on wed. Didn't move down here to be cold. Boat race sounds like fun. Hope it warms up for ya. Fried up the black drumfish I caught sunday. Good stuff. Not dolphin or tuna, but not bad. Heavy

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: October 29 2008 at 22:14 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Ahoy Cat Drivers,

As promised, part one of a two part series on a 280 engine tear down/valve job, complete with photos, humor and some sort of plot is ready for your perusal.

Part two is in the wings.

http://my.boatus.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63368&PN= 1&TPN=1

I hope you find the article entertaining and educational as I found it putting it together.

Diver

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: October 30 2008 at 07:55 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Diver, VERY nicely done! look forward to next installment. Capt. Heavy

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: October 31 2008 at 19:50 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Great photos and documentation Roy, nice job!

"MY WAY"

]
] ]
191 Pages « 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version