View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages « 185 186 187 188 189 190 191
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
turbootter
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 17 2012 at 15:50 | IP Logged Quote turbootter

My boat is finally being delivered next Tuesday! I was wondering, is it customary to tip the driver?

350 Catalina Double Cabin
turbootter@hotmail.com
Back to Top Printable version View turbootter's Profile Search for other posts by turbootter

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: April 17 2012 at 16:03 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

As a former OTR driver, delivering refrigerated food, I was not in that postion to be tipped by the customer.

However, take in consideration that NO DAMAGE ENROUTE to you; distance (MILES) the driver drove to deliver, and TIMELYNESS of his arrival, and the fact he delivered YOUR personal property, a tip, would be greatly appreciated by the driver!!  The amount of tip, depends on your pocket-book, and the above considerations, and the degree of driver inter-action helpfulness, while dealing with you, should be evaluated. 

In the end, I KNOW the driver will appreciate your thoughtfulness.  A meal (Buffet) will cost nearly $20.00 at ALL truck-Stops.   But something MORE than a $20 dollar bill, WILL get his attention!!Just sayin, my Friend!!   

Dan    (Fly Bridge)    (danbushey@msn.com)

Edited by Fly Bridge on April 17 2012 at 16:13

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: April 17 2012 at 23:01 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Turbooter, I had Mystic Diver II delivered by truck from Chesapeake City Md. to Stuart, Fl. in 2001. I had planned on tipping the driver untill I found out that one of the air shocks  on the trailer failed and the trailer tire almost dug a hole thru the bottom of my boat. Not only was I not happy, but I had to splash the boat that day and drive back to delaware  in time to get back to work. Lucky for me, Rocky, the yard manager at the marina where I had the boat delivered to, called a fiberglass repair tech asap and repaired the damage within a few hours. No tip for the driver. It was getting dark when we splashed the boat, had to run it down the south fork of the St. Lucie River at night, lock through the St. Lucie Lock, tie up the boat, call a cab to get back to the marina and started driving north. I think my blood preasure was 500 over 499 that night. AHHH, The memories. Nite, All, H.

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 19 2012 at 11:41 | IP Logged Quote Berg

I got my Crusader 350 last night! Very excited on my used engine repower... details to follow 

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY
Back to Top Printable version View Berg's Profile Search for other posts by Berg

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 19 2012 at 12:12 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

And photos, Berg?

We like photos, even though this forum works pretty poorly
with them.

Jim(InFla)

www.thehard6.com
Back to Top Printable version View JimInFla's Profile Search for other posts by JimInFla

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 19 2012 at 12:56 | IP Logged Quote Berg

i only had time to take a few of the transmission. It came with a Borg Warner Velvet Drive 10-17-012 that I might sell if I can find a buyer. I listed it for $500 negotiable to see what kind of offers I get on it. I figure I'll put the money into the new fuel line and water filter/separator and some other odd-n-ends. I'll have to play around and resize them and take some more after work today. Stand by for updates!

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY
Back to Top Printable version View Berg's Profile Search for other posts by Berg

smile n wave
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 19 2012 at 13:22 | IP Logged Quote smile n wave

Berg, that fire looked pretty serious.  Glad no one hurt.  The rest can be replaced.  Look forward to repower pics.

Capt Mark, amazing early launch - hope the summer is as nice as spring has been although is suposed to snow 3" here tonight.  Next time my wide load signs go on will be in next week or two to move smile to my garage up north for storage.  Just not in the cards to launch tihs year until my wife gets better.

Nauti, if you have any links for rental info you can post please do so.

Brad

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 19 2012 at 15:47 | IP Logged Quote Berg

Actually there were fairly serious injuries suffered by the crew of the truck that burned up. 1 of the guys got cooked pretty bad but he is doing much better. 

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: April 19 2012 at 18:18 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Berg...think about a part time seasonal job at West Marine...easy
hours, some extra$ and an insane discount. Closest one to you is
Port Jeff or maybe Riverhead. Real easy work for boat fanatics like us!

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: April 19 2012 at 18:20 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Smile...we've been renting homes using VRBO.com
tons of listings and helpful reviews.

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 20 2012 at 09:09 | IP Logged Quote Berg

Nauti- I'm seriously considering it but my friend I used to work for still has his Port Supply account so that saves me a good amount on a lot of things too. I really should just apply for a part time job there for a few week nights. I have to see what is going on because I'd feel bad leaving the dog all alone all the time. I'm really all he has to look forward to at the moment since I'm single and there isn't anyone else to spend time with him. Its amazing how pets and possessions can control your life. I'd love to work at a marina for a reduced dockage rate!!

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: April 20 2012 at 10:15 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Discount on dockage would be nice. 

At WM...Port Supply is a good discount, employee discount is amazing.  For example, my dad uses inline filters on the holding tank vents and retail is $105, port suply is $80 and employee is $32.  Not everyting is that percentage but anything WM brand is usually 50-75% off.

Now if I only had a boat

"MY WAY"

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 20 2012 at 11:16 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Berg,

I know how you feel. My 15 year old cat is dying of cancer.
She has about 4 or 5 months left, if we are lucky. She's
always been there for me, a loyal friend and great
companion.

I am so thankful that I work from home now and she
doesn't have to be alone during the day. Even worse, when
I was travelling for work, for days at a time.

Jim(InFla)

www.thehard6.com
Back to Top Printable version View JimInFla's Profile Search for other posts by JimInFla

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 20 2012 at 15:27 | IP Logged Quote Berg

That is a really good deal, I would save a lot doing it that way. I'm going to be replacing my intake valve when I pull the 305K out and drop in the 350. I'm going to run the Chris Craft mounts so I can keep everything right where it is and not have any alignment issues. I'll just check it with a feeler gauge to make sure everything is within tolerances once it is bolted back in. I noticed my intake valve is stuck again and I think it is time I replace it with a 1" ball valve with new thru-hull. It will give me a chance to clean up the south bay strainer too.
Jim- It is amazing how much pets are a part of your family. My grandmother just lost her 12 year old Akita. It was her protection and best friend. My dog has yet to go out onto open water in rough seas but I feel confident that his sea legs would be fine

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 26 2012 at 09:10 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

OK BREAKIN THE ICENO POST SINCE BERGS LAST ONE A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO WEATHER REAL NICE BEEN SOOO BUSY WITH OTHER THINGS HAVEN'T HAD TIME TO EVEN LOOK AT SALLYS INOP TRANNY--HOPE TO DO THAT REALSOON!!MAN LOSIN A FIRE TRUCK IS AN AWFUL THING GLAD NO ONE DIED--BERG IF THE 350S ARE THE SAME ANIMAL THEY MOUNT RIGHT IN THE OLD HOLES I REDID MY MOUNT HOLES WITH NEW WOOD INSERTS AND THEY HAVE NOT COME LOOSE OR MOVED IN SIX YEARS JUST MAKE SURE THE SHAFT FLANGE IS PRECISELY ALIGNED ALL THE WAY AROUND--

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 27 2012 at 08:56 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

THANKS TO FLOATER I HAVE BEEN MADE AWARE OF OUR SERIOUS PROBLEM I HAVE RESPONDED TO BRIAN  AND AM HOPING HE WILL CONSIDER GIVING US THE GREEN LIGHT TO STAY HERE FOR ALL OF US-IT SEEMS I AM THE ONLY MEMBER IN BOAT US IF THIS IS NOT GOING TO CHANGE FOR THE BETTER I AM GONE ALSO-I MEAN WHO DO I TALK TO??MYSELF??MAYBE A SMALL FEE FOR NON MEMBERS??SO THEY CAN POST??IF NOT WELL---IT WAS FUN!!AND I NEVER MET A BUNCH OF NICER CAPTAINS!!SO LETS BE CALM AND SEE WHAT TRANSPIRES  KEEP CHECKING I WILL KEEP US ABREAST OF THIS MESS-BOATMAN 66

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: April 27 2012 at 10:11 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Saw your post Boatman, it also prompted me to login using my BoatUS membership. 

If the others are not members and we loose captians from this forum, we always have http://www.chriscraftcatalinaclub.com/ started by one of the captains on here (Capt. Rick or Mark?  I cant remember).

I like the BoatUS fourm but if like you said Boatman, no one can write in it's going to be awful lonely.

In the mean time...I am just working and savin' for the next boat!

"MY WAY"

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 27 2012 at 11:48 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

HEY TOM I CANNOT GET ON THE CCCLUB SITE I HAVE TRIED ALL I KNOW INCLUDING FULL ADDRESS HTTP BLA BLA NOTHING I EVEN COPIED YOUR ABOVE ADD AND NOTHING COMES UP HAVE YOU TRIED LATELY? YEH IF THIS CAN'T BE RECTIFIED IT IS GONNA GO AWAY-WHAT A SHAME THIS WAS THE BEST!!

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: April 27 2012 at 12:37 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Pete...this any better? 

http://www.chriscraftcatalinaclub.com/content.php

"MY WAY"

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 28 2012 at 10:46 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

JIM IN FLA NICE COMMENT ABOUT THE "NEW"FORMAT THINK THEY WILL RESPOND??GO TO MESSAGE BOARDS AND CLIK CATALINAS AND SEE THAT MESSAGE LINK TO TERRY PARROW SHE IS THE HEAD HANCHO FOR BOAT US

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 28 2012 at 10:51 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

NAUTI-JUST TRIED AGAIN STILL NOTHING I DON'T UNDERSTAND I AM REGISTERED ON THAT CLUB ALSO BUT NOTHING COMES UP IN SEARCH MODE I WENT 4 PAGES DEEP AND FOUND NOTHING HAVE U BEEN ON LATELY??ANYONE??DRIVIN ME NUTZ

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 28 2012 at 11:59 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Quote: boatman66

JIM IN FLA NICE COMMENT
ABOUT THE "NEW"FORMAT THINK THEY WILL RESPOND??
GO TO MESSAGE BOARDS AND CLIK CATALINAS AND SEE
THAT MESSAGE LINK TO TERRY PARROW SHE IS THE
HEAD HANCHO FOR BOAT US

It's this kind of heavy handed management that is wrong
with America (IMO).

Basically, what Boat US is saying to people is "If you aren't
going to pay us, we will take our marbles and go home.".

Only one company I know of can actually pull this concept
off. Microsoft. And even they are changing because they
realize that it is only a matter of time before a company
that does it better (Apple) will come along and begin to
take their market share. If Boat US wants to make their
forums into a unused, aged wasteland, they are on the
right track (IMO).

Oh and before I am labeled a non-technical zelot, I'd just
like to mention that I do network design for a fortune 5
company for a living.

Ok, I'll stop ranting now.

Jim (InFla)

Edited by JimInFla on April 28 2012 at 12:01

www.thehard6.com

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: April 28 2012 at 18:48 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

wow Boat US members only????? As a boat us memeber I do enjoy their service. The few times I needed them they were great. How ever I never met a group of better captins and friends. What can we do to fix this problem...... I do know there is differnt packages you can get from boats us????? I hope we dont lose anyone . please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

I have not been around the last few weekes due to my wife's pregnancy . But I am so happy to let you know we are the pround parents of a beautful  baby girl . Ali Marie Kathleen Guarino. Ali was born on Thursday.

Back to Top Printable version View Happy Hour III's Profile Search for other posts by Happy Hour III

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 29 2012 at 10:55 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

CONGRATS JIM BEAUTIFULYEH SEEMS THERE ARE ONLY A FEW THAT ARE ACTUAL MEMBERS A REAL SHAME-----

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 29 2012 at 11:04 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

CONGRATS JIM!!!!

www.thehard6.com

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: April 29 2012 at 16:40 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

thank you so much caps

Back to Top Printable version View Happy Hour III's Profile Search for other posts by Happy Hour III

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: April 30 2012 at 08:40 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Congratulations Jim!!!

"MY WAY"

salmonpro
"Seaman"

Posted: May 03 2012 at 15:13 | IP Logged Quote salmonpro

Hey Guys been a while since I have been on. work has had me just beat down but a guy has to make a living to support his addictions right.

so I am having a starter issue. I had the starter rebuilt last year and I didn't have any problems with it when I used it last fall however something over the winter has gone bad. when I turn the Key I can hear the selonoid click but there is nothing to the starter. so I did alot of testing with my multimeter and found that I get power to the selonoid and I get bower to the white wire that comes off the selonoid but the starter will still not turn I am actually kind of worried it may be the starter again but I just had this one rebuilt in july last year and feel it shouldn't be the problem. any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Back to Top Printable version View salmonpro's Profile Search for other posts by salmonpro

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: May 03 2012 at 19:47 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Hi Salmonpro,

Good news! This may be easier than you think.

1) Be sure the battery switch is On. when on shorepower, Cats have a rectifier (breaker on the main panel) that when on, delivers 12vdc to all dc systems aboard, including the starter cercuit.  In this configuration, (battery off) and you try to start the engine, you will just get just a clicking from the solonoid. The rectifier does not generate enough current (Amps) to actually turn the starter.

2) Replace the battery with a known good battery!

3) check Battery cable for good, clean connections.

I think the starter is fine.

Diver (Roy)

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 09 2012 at 10:12 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

FOR ANYONE INTERESTED THERE IS ANOTHER CATALINA CLUB WEBSITE GO TO CHRISCRAFTCATALINACLUB.COM IT IS AS FUN AS THIS ONE

CCRider
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 17 2012 at 17:37 | IP Logged Quote CCRider

Hi Guys,

Isn't there any members still on this site?  Had to resign in again with Brian Azar's help but it is doable.

Last Saturday, Diver and I moved my boat, CC Rider from the Sacramento Delta to the Oakland Esturary (approx. 75 miles). Took 7 hours.  Ran most of way between 2500 and 2900 rpm, on and off plane.  Had a 5 knot ebb (in our favor) for about a 1/3 of the way.  Crossing SF Bay was a rough trip with steady 24" rollers coming in from the golden gate which we had to take at about 25 to 50 deg. angle.   Lots of rolling and breaking waves over bow for about an hour.  Was really impressed by strength of boat in those conditions!  No creaking or groaning, and no leaks in hull or windshield.  Some leakage from side windows of course.  Engine ran perfect and water temp. never varied.

Denis

Back to Top Printable version View CCRider's Profile Search for other posts by CCRider

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: May 17 2012 at 22:28 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Ahoy All,

What can I say, the trip had all the elements: adventure, terror, exileration and that very special sence of accomplishment when we finely tied up. 

Denis toughed it out and now he knows what it's like when stuff hits the fan in a planing hull! Boat was 100%.  There was a bit of a mess in the cabin when we finely hit smooth water.  He and his wonderful wife, Pat sprang for tasty (and strong!) Mai-tai's at The Forbidden Lounge and then a 5 star dinner- doesn't get better than that... 

Thanks my friend, it was memorable!

Roy (Diver)

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: May 18 2012 at 08:43 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

CC AND DIVER NO MOST OF THE GUYS ARE NOT MEMBERS OF BOAT US THEY PAY NO DUES AND UNDER THE NEW RULES CAN NO LONGER POST-THEY CAN READ THAT'S ALL-MOST HAVE GONE TO CHRISCRAFTCATALINACLUB.COM WHICH IS AN OPEN FORUM-I AM STILL HERE BUT AWFULLY LONELY HAHA THAT'S A GREAT TRIP THE TWO OF YOU TOOK IN CC'S BOAT NOW HE KNOWS WHAT OUR BEAUTIFUL BABIES CAN DO  

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: June 04 2012 at 22:09 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Hi all.... Started work on refurbing my galley.

Posted info and pictures on the other site since no one is here
anymore:

http://www.chriscraftcatalinaclub.com/showthread.php?209-
Galley-and-Head-refurbish&p=930#post930

www.thehard6.com

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: June 07 2012 at 22:30 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

hello caps hope you are all doing well.Jim looks great I posted picyures of when I did mine . Boatman I went to Port Charlet are you near there ?

Beartooth
"Seaman"

Posted: June 14 2012 at 12:40 | IP Logged Quote Beartooth

Hi all. Glad I found you. I have been a long-time lurker in a 281 and a 251 discussion group for a few years. I finally got around to purchasing a 280 last month and I am very happy with the decision. Many questions though, so any help you can give would be great....

I have a rebuilt 305 on the boat. It runs well. The weekend I brought it home, I could get it to turn 4500 rpm for about 17 mph. the next weekend it would only go 38oo rpm. I removed the no-brand fuel filter and installed a Racor water seperating unit. It will now only run about 4100 rpm. What other than the fuel filter could cause this change? What should my speed be in this rpm range?

I was hopping for a 20 mph cruise and 30 mph WOT, but I'm not close. Under Propped? I don't think the trans is slipping.

How do you change the impeller? Could there be 2 of them? (one for raw water, one for closed loop)? There is a cut-out behind the stairs to access the front of the motor, but I would like a little guidance before I start pulling off pieces.

Long term plans are to pull the round tank this fall and replace it with a couple of poly 50's. This will give me a chance to fix the punky stringer under the tank.

I love the boat. I love the lines. I grew up on my dad's CC's  and understand the difference between a 33 year old boat and a bleach bottle.

Thanks all

Back to Top Printable version View Beartooth's Profile Search for other posts by Beartooth

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: June 14 2012 at 16:12 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Beartooth,

Welcome to the "club"!

When Boat US decided to close the forums to the general
public, they basically killed this forum. Most of us have
gone over to the http://www.chriscraftcatalinaclub.com
forums now. The software works better over there, the
photo additions work without resizing, and you don't get the
page load errors you get here all the time. You may want
to check it out.

My Cat has a single Marine Power 315 (GM Vortec). I have
one water pump on the front of my engine that have a
single impeller in it. I too have the cut-out and that's
exactly what it is there for. Makes getting at the impeller a
snap.

Hope that helps!

Jim

www.thehard6.com

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: June 14 2012 at 20:36 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Hi Beartooth,

Have to say you're spot on about the 251/280's! These boats really have a lot going for them: Quality, lots of space, economy, simplicity and solid design from long production experience.

Your initial RPM and speed sound about right. The 4500 RPM is at the top of the WOT range spec, but with the small block 305 it does give you a bit more torque. This of course can be fine tuned by adjusting the prop pitch. A visit to a good prop shop after running her a bit to see how she feels...then go from there.

I suspect you're onto something where there is debris in the fuel due perhaps to non-use and age. Depanding on the year, Catalinas are fitted with either the earlier galvinized steel cylindendrical shape (yours) or alumimum rectangular fuel tank. Either way, clean gas, a supply of seperator filters, A clean fuel screen (at the carborator) and last but not least, and a clean anti siphon valve located (on alunimum tank) at the fuel valve on the tank...not sure on the older tank, but it's there. Suggect you check the anti siphon out 1st thing. Your tank replacment project might be just the ticket to sort all this out.

For a 280, unless the cabin is stripped down, 20-30 MPH is optimistic. Your original #s sound about right- you might get 20+ mph with some engine/prop tweeking, the boat's lightly loaded. 

Funny you mention the raw water pump.  I'm just putting the finishing touches on a post dealing with a raw water pump servicing and rebuild procrdure. Another week or so and I'll post this. Bottom line- it is impossible to replace the pump's impellor in the boat...sorry. Simple solution: Keep a spare and/or install a rebuilt one. That's why there's that cutaway panel on the engineoom bulkhead... pump access. Somebody cut that out, didn't come from the factory that way- you're in luck!  You can replace just the impellor out of the boat, but it is a bit labor intensive and you will need a service kit. There is one impellor in that raw pump. On our boat, there is both a fresh water pump on the block same as a road engine (unable to service) and the raw water pump and uses a heat exchanger for saltwater cooling. 

Welcome!

Roy (Diver)     

Beartooth
"Seaman"

Posted: June 14 2012 at 21:08 | IP Logged Quote Beartooth

Thank you for your responses.

I understand about the problems everyone is having with Boat US. If they are smart, they will fix the problem and salvage the forum, if they are not so smart, the forum will die out. (If everyone moves somewhere, leave a forwarding address for me too) If I could start my own forum for everyone, I would.

Diver, I think I understand what you are saying about the two pumps. The one that circulates cooling water just inside the motor has a water pump like an auto engine that can not be rebuilt but could be replaced if necessary. The raw water pump has the flexible impeller that needs to be replaced occasionally (often). Can I assume this is because of the chance of sucking sand and debris through the raw water system? The entire motor was repainted when it was rebuilt in 2006 and I can not tell whether the raw water pump is original or aftermarket. I will just have to pull it apart and hope for a part number.

I will keep checking on the new racor filter for water, and plan on replacing a couple times this summer.  I do not know what size prop is on the boat because I jumped on the deal for $2000. I do know what kind of problems these boats commonly have and am ready for whatever comes my way.  The only thing that intimidates me a bit is the carb and the distributer system. I have not delt with either system since highschool autoshop. My plan is to hire a mechanic this fall or next spring to tune both up and teach me. I understand the basics, its just been 20 years since I needed a tming light....

Long winded enough. Thanks

Back to Top Printable version View Beartooth's Profile Search for other posts by Beartooth

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: June 15 2012 at 19:58 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Beartooth,

You writing is clear, so the more detail the better. 

Can you ID the engine? ie model #, (like 230), year of boat/engine and the marinizer... Mercruiser or? Mercruiser is the most common, but there are others. It sounds like the carb and ignition systems are fine. Are there any further service records, spacifically: has the raw water pump, the mainfolds and more importantly, the risers been looked at or relpaced since the rebuild? Has the boat been operating in saltwater or fresh? look for signs of rust at the manifold/riser joint . Use a mirror to inspect the manifold mating point above where the spark plugs are...any sign of rust or leaks? Assuming nothing has been touched since the rebuild ( AND assuming the manifolds and risers were actually replaced as part of the overhaul... That's a big maybe unless it's documented), that was 6 years ago...fresh or saltwater operation will be an important clue. Do you have a heat exchanger cooling setup? That will tell a lot. If you do, removing the exchanger's end caps (get rubber seal gaskets 1st!) and inspecting the inside tubing for debris will give you a good idea as to the environment it's been in. Here is a shot of our set up- note the exchanger aft, on top.

Assuming it's a Mercruiser engine, the alunimum, black spray painted OEM raw water pump would not have been used as part of the overhaul.  A Bronze Jabsco pump P/N 43210-0001 would have been used. On inspection, it should be easy to tell the difference. 

http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-43210-0001-Flexible-Replacement -MerCruiser/dp/B000O8F1C0

As for debris getting into the pump- if there is a raw water inlet screen (like a Groco) that will protect the pump- if not, depends on the operating environment. In the picture above, note the greenish raw water screen assembly in the lower right corner. You can also see we have a alunimum fuel fank seen just at the bottom.

Suggest checking the 'O'ring on the fuel cap- replace if cracked, worn. Also may be a clue if water may have gotten into the fuel tank due to leaking there. If the seal's good and cap's tight maybe there's little or no water in there and it just debris/rust(?). I find it useful to consider, write down and photograph all clues seen, smelled and felt when sizing up how things are aboard.

The ability to upload photos will be a big plus.

Roy (diver)

]
] ]
191 Pages « 185 186 187 188 189 190 191

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version