View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages « 185 186 187 188 189 190 191
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: March 22 2012 at 01:10 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

CAPTAINS:

Got the Starboard fuel tank loose.  Going to remove thru the salon tomorrow, then clean bilge.

Today, I was thinking about the POPPING sound from the engine I mentioned in a prior Post.  I researched causes a week ago.  In addition to "bad Gas", another cause  in the results was stated, a vacuum air-leak.  I dismissed that idea, almost immediately, because...I thoughtlessly..." BUT I DON'T HAVE A VACCUUM AIR_LEAK"!!   It dawned on me today, that YES, I DO have a vacuum leak!!   The raw water (sea water)  pump, has   3 VACUUM LINES to  it!!  I am still going to change-out the filters, and etc.

I'll "fire" Her for a few seconds to make sure that IS the CAUSE.  The "Popping" sound WILL be heard immediately.   I drained the gas, and it was NOT NEARLY as bad-looking, as the Port gas tank.  The Strbd. gas looked like URINE.  And NOT NEARLY as foul smelling, as the Port gas.

PHOTO:  Note the 2 Air line connections close to each other, and the 1 on the Bottom of pump.   SHEESH, how could I miss this!!

All for now.  Dan   (Fly Bridge)

Edited by Fly Bridge on March 22 2012 at 01:19

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: March 22 2012 at 05:14 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

Dan,

I admit I have no idea what those nipples are on that pump.  Are you sure it's vacuum?  That really doesn't make sense.  Some sort of primer for the pump makes more sense.  The popping you heard, was it coming back throught the carb?  Do you think it's timing?  I lost a cam lobe and that made a hell of a popping type noise.

Roy,

WTF?!  just the thought of trying to move the rudder and shaft log is enough for me to shake my head!

Lake Superior
Wisconsin
http://www.superiordaycruises.com
Back to Top Printable version View Captain Mark's Profile Search for other posts by Captain Mark

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 22 2012 at 13:01 | IP Logged Quote Berg

I hate to say it but if that popping sound is coming through the intake  there is a chance it could have a burned exhaust valve. it could also be that someone may have messed up the firing order too! I'd check it over to make sure before I did anything else. I have seen people put wires on things to make them run but it was way off. 18436572 is the GM LH rotation firing order and RH engines use 12756348. The distributor still spins the same was as a standard rotation engine but the wires just go on backwards. The camshaft spins LH while the rest of the engine spins RH. They install timing gears that have tooth-to-tooth contact to spin reverse while std rotation uses a timing chain. it is also possible the camshaft was installed wrong from the start but I feel like that is less likely since it would have had to be running for years like that. Ohh and for the record I'd also not want to go to a single screw.

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY
Back to Top Printable version View Berg's Profile Search for other posts by Berg

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: March 22 2012 at 14:09 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Hello Caps Working at the Palm Beach Boat Boat Show this weekend. Cap Steve you coming down ????? again .

Toilet issue should I use fresh water or raw water to flush my bowl ?????

Fly Bridge they are check valves  made to blow if water freezes up or preasure gets high

Back to Top Printable version View Happy Hour III's Profile Search for other posts by Happy Hour III

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: March 22 2012 at 14:12 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

BEST THING I EVER DID WAS REPOWERING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111 COMPLETE 5.7'S

Back to Top Printable version View Happy Hour III's Profile Search for other posts by Happy Hour III

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 22 2012 at 15:14 | IP Logged Quote Berg

I wish I could afford it. Hell, I wish I could afford to put on new name plates and recore the front deck. 

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY
Back to Top Printable version View Berg's Profile Search for other posts by Berg

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 22 2012 at 15:17 | IP Logged Quote Berg

Any of you guys have a preference for gauges? I'm about due. I like Faria but some of the Teleflex packages don't look too bad for a replacement option also.

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: March 22 2012 at 18:35 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Berg...check Overtons for the gauges they have both Teleflex and
Faria full sets...cheaper than by the piece. Sign up for their
emails...can score money off or free shipping.

Re-coring the deck should be an easy DIY project...I de the lazarette
hatch for around 60$.

Just got back from Chicago late this afternoon for work....got to see
Lake Michigan ....nice place, marinas and shoreline but no boats in
yet...temps were in the 80's all week....nice taste of summer.

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: March 22 2012 at 23:12 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Dan, are you sure they are air connections?? Might they be grease fittings? Just thinking.

Berg, not crazy about Faria gauges. Saw too many go bad when I worked for Hinckley Yachts. Any way, your gauge must be wired to the corresponding sending unit. I.E. Faria Gauge should be connected to a Faria sending unit.

JimHH, my son in law has a booth, "Canvas and Towers" at the show. Don't know if I'll make it, but his name is Jay, good guy to know, say Hi if you pass by his booth. May be at the island this weekend, time to check zincs.

Nite, Y'all, Capt. Steve

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: March 22 2012 at 23:34 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Dan,

Those two fittings are part of an assembly connecting both input and output pipes. Perhaps a extra raw water supply for some accessory? Are there any hoses in the engine room that were connected to these fittings? If so, follow them to wherever.

Maybe ID the part either thru the engines marinized MFG'r or the pump's Mfgr (stamped/marked on it somewhere), match pictures and the unit's specification sheet may identify what this feature is.

Or

hard copy the picture, stop by a boatyard and see if they can ID it...? 

Roy

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 23 2012 at 09:31 | IP Logged Quote Berg

I wonder if they are some sort of bleed or crossover activation system. If you study the picture you notice the pump is longer than most and has what appears to be a crossover with a piston/valve inside of it. I wonder if those fittings were to activate that valve and "shift" for lack of a better term- the valve between the intake and outlet. Maybe that valve is slapping inside as the pump turns and it is making a popping sound. It may be used on sterndrive models that also have a raw water pump in the outdrive and Mercruiser kept it on the inboard application or better yet- the previous owner needed a water pump and just went out and bought that one! I have not seen a rebuild kit or replacement pump that looks like that one yet. If those lines don't hook to anything maybe you might want to think about replacing the pump with a generic style Sherwood or Jabsco. It will be easier in the long run when it comes to rebuild kits. It is really racking my brain right now.

As far as the gauges go, I plan on replacing the senders when I do the gauges. Mine seem to be inaccurate and it concerns me. I'm probably going to end up with a set from Teleflex. I know my tach was off by about 500 rpm and the volt meter jumps all over the place every time something is turned on or turned off. It is hard to test with the digital multimeter so either way I have to buy at least 2 analog gauges. I might as well just do the other ones and have them all match.

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: March 23 2012 at 10:04 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

here is my helm again after replacing my gauges did it after the repower . The orange tips faded a little but they work . I also replaced the labels under the switches ( round black ones ) I found them on Chris parts very cheap

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: March 23 2012 at 10:05 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Captin Steve I will look for him Thanks

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 23 2012 at 14:40 | IP Logged Quote Berg

Chris parts does have some nice hard to find stuff. I like the way those gauges look too. My 73 Catalina had white face gauges and they seemed to hold up pretty good to the UV rays constantly beating down on them. They didn't have orange tips though, just black needles. 

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: March 23 2012 at 17:28 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Hey Guys!
Un-winterized and fired up the #2 yesterday. Waterpump
Raising hell. I was able to move the pulley I know a 1/4"
Replaced it today after work in about 45 minutes thanks
to the removable top step. I have a guy sanding on the
bottom and I'm ordering paint in the next day or so, so...
help needed. I need to know a very inexpensive bottom
paint that is good for trailering, out of the water more than
in, and will be used primarily in fresh but may take a dip
in salt.
Great job on the posts!
Floater.

CCRider
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 23 2012 at 17:34 | IP Logged Quote CCRider

Hi Guys,  Been awhile since I've been on.  Still trying to catch up on my reading.  For those interested in model and age of boat, ser.# is on outside of transom, upper right hand corner.  On my '79 280, there are 14 numbers and letters.  #CCHO942M79H280.  I think the HO is where it was built, the 942 is the ser. #, not certain about the M, 79 is year of mfg., H is month (august), 280 is model.  Someone on forum may have more accurate info. on this.

Going to be in Pensascola Apr. 4&5.  Any of you have your boat there?  Going to visit a couple of Kansas City high school hotrod club buddies from 1955!  Club was a charter member of the NHRA.  Does that date me, or what?  Still best of friends.

Denis

Back to Top Printable version View CCRider's Profile Search for other posts by CCRider

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: March 23 2012 at 23:22 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hello, All. Floater, Great to hear from You. If your boat will be out of the water more than in, I would recomend a hard bottom paint like like Interlux Bottom Coat. West Marine has their own brand at a lower cost. It is a modified epoxy paint. Do not use an ablative paint if trailering.

JimHH, Bonnie was asking about Sunshine. Hope all is well. My step daughter is also expecting. Nite, all, H.

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: March 24 2012 at 08:57 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Ahhhhh rain! Washing down the record setting polen levels!
Capt Heavy, what do you think of the Pettit unepoxy?
Discount marine has it for $99 a gallon with free shipping.
Messed some yesterday with the sliding windows. Stuck shut
from the rotted felt. Work ok with the felt removed from the
plastic tracks. Hope the glass don't fall out.
Floater.

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: March 24 2012 at 13:01 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

CAPTAINS:

2nd gas tank (Strbd.) will be removed in a hour.  In position to lift/slide out of Salon.

On the Raw Water Pump, the 3 "Air Fittings" I described, are actually DRAIN LINES, for Winterizing procedure.  A Mercruiser mechanic at a marine dealer that I deliver canvas products to, told me this is what the 3 lines are used for.  The lines have only about a 1/8 inch opening.   The bottom line is not connected, open to atmosphere.  The other 2  (colors Orange and White) are connected to a valve, below the Hand Pump, to clear the cooling system with air pressure.

Back in an hour, with update on gas tank, with  photos.

Dan    (Fly Bridge)

Edited by Fly Bridge on March 24 2012 at 19:06

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: March 24 2012 at 13:01 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Thanks for asking Capt Steve , The doc put her on bed rest all is okay how ever just high blood presssure. she is getting very big. Thanks so much for asking . The Boat show pretty packed.

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: March 24 2012 at 13:04 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Capt'n Jim:

Glad she is ok.  Prayers do  WORK!!  YEA!!!!    

Dan    (Fly Bridge)   

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: March 24 2012 at 14:30 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

CAPTAINS:

2nd gas tank removed!!  This Starbd. tank APPEARS to be OK.  Tank as  small rust spot on bottom of tan, and can be repaired by welding a new section, if necessary..  The inside appears ok.  I will flush, then determine next steps.   Photos in next  Postings.

Dan    (Fly Bridge)    

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: March 24 2012 at 14:33 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Photo #2.   Fill opening is on the other side, at top of "Slope" of tank.   There is a small rust-spot on bottom-side of tank, which is near the bottom of photo.    the 2 parallel lines from top to bottom, is where tank rested on rubber strips attached to 2 support lumber boards.

Edited by Fly Bridge on March 24 2012 at 14:55

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: March 24 2012 at 14:37 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Nice Dan good luck looks good

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: March 24 2012 at 14:43 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Photo#3.    In bilge, view is looking towards Aft, to Stern, where the 2 tanks were located.  Starbd. engine, on left of photo.  Port engine removed, and "tranny" in-place.   I TOLD you fellows bilge was a MESS!! LOL!!     I'll get to fixing this with some elbow grease, and ...WHITE PAINT!!!!

Edited by Fly Bridge on March 24 2012 at 15:02

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: March 24 2012 at 14:50 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Photo #4.  View is looking Aft to Stern, and towards EMPTY spot where gas tank was located.  Below the  the square-shaped box, (Bennett Trim Tab Controls) is the Stainless cover over the rudder linkage.  The 2 long boards  is where the gas tanks were located on.  Boards are uncut, and transverse the entire width of bilge.  Starbd. engine and tranny, in-place.   I access the rudder and linkage from the Aft Hatch, just above the tanks.  I can get into the space easily, between the rear of tanks and the Stern.

Going to start cleaning bilge, later today, after I take a rest-break!

WHEW!!!!    Dan.   (Fly Bridge)  

Edited by Fly Bridge on March 24 2012 at 15:13

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: March 24 2012 at 15:21 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Guys marine toilets do I want to flush it with fresh water or raw ???? please advise thx

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: March 24 2012 at 15:35 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Jim:

I have NO experience with your question, but I have researched this before.  The problem I was told with sea water (Raw), is DO NOT leave sea water in toilet, when leaving the CC until the next time you Board Her again.  This can be accomplished by draining the sea water from the bowl, and re-fill with fresh water BEFORE departing.

With freshwater, you would not have a smell of "dead sea water".  sea water contains micro animals (plankton).   As you may surmise, they  need a constant supply sea water, as when they were in open waters.

Some guys have plumbed for FRESH WATER, because of the females prefer not to smell the sea water in the toilet. 

Could you "Plumb" for BOTH??    I look at the issue as, "When floating  in unending saltwater, FRESH water is a precious commodity".

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Edited by Fly Bridge on March 24 2012 at 15:53

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: March 24 2012 at 16:41 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Thanks Dan I think I am going to go fresh so I dont have a smell.

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: March 24 2012 at 17:30 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Lookin good FB Dan! Wow, didn't realize how bad the tank
was rusted through. Thought there was only a little corrosion
when I suggested using tank sealing. You need to come to
Charlotte to help me with the #2! keep up the great work,
Been enjoying reading your posts.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: March 24 2012 at 23:28 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Gang. Floater, Pettit Unipoxy is good paint. I have used it in the past. Modified epoxy.

Jim, Dan is correct about the salt water smell. My head is salt water, but the smell is not too bad, my head usually drains to the lectrosan treatment system. Only drawback using freshwater, if you run out of freshwater, no can use head!! And you know our ladies!! A couple oz. of bleach will kill the smell.

Nite, All, H.

venny
"Seaman"

Posted: March 25 2012 at 09:33 | IP Logged Quote venny

HAPPY HOUR  have salt water flush keep a diluted head treatment in spray bottle use after every flush ,seems to work good,,am on mooring fresh water is valuable,but if u can fresh is the way to go

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: March 25 2012 at 11:08 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

thanks boys

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: March 25 2012 at 11:11 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Dan who has your port motor and what are you getting done to it. Your strb motor looks newer ?

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: March 25 2012 at 14:24 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Capt.n Jim:  HH II

Jim, I removed engine while still at-berth, (That was a JOB!!)  and wheel-barrowed it to a trailer, and brought to my home.  I have it stripped to bare block now.  The block is mounted on a engine block holder, in my garage.   I haven't had the money to rebuild engine yet.  I have recently talked to a couple of guys that rebuild marine engines.  One fellow has a commerical garage on his home-property, and has rebuilt marine engines.  Just waiting on money at this point.  Meanwhile, I am puttering on Her getting things ship-shape, that require not much money.  I got labor covered though!!

What have taken-apart so far is, but need parts to complete:

Port and Starbd. gas tanks.  Removed Port sliding windows and channels, to insert 1/4 inch "FUR-LIKE"weatherstripping.   Blige blower.   Port engine.    Fuel filters for Strbd. engine.  Refinish teak swim platform.  Paint and degreaser for bilge.  Finish sanding and paint for "Bottom-job.  Both brass props to take to Prop shop, to re-cut the edges and check-out.  Port rudder to repair, at the Prop Shop, to repair the crack.

I purchased CC while wet-slip berthed.  Port engine locked-up, due to risers leaking.  I have installed NEW risers on Starboard engine.  Both engines were new, and installed 1/30/2004.  The engines are Mercruiser

The Carb. Cover has HORIZON: 350 MPI, written on top of both engines.

PORT engine:  (OUT of Engine) The first digit is # not a letter.

SERIAL: 0M317013    * First digit is a "Zero".

MODEL:  33500131S

STRBD.  engine:   In bilge.

SERIAL: 0M393398   *First digit is a "Zero".

MODEL:   33500167S

I tried to look-up these numbers, but had problem with getting NO..search result on Mercruiser web Site for PORT ENGINE (Out)  SERIAL Number:  0M317013  *The first digit is a "ZERO" as in ..a NUMBER.

In any case, both engines are a Horizon, and installed 2004 year as NEW engines.   I have the original paperwork on the engines, that gives Serial and Model NUMBERS, but no names, etc.  The Mercruiser Web site section Parts Express, does let me convert Serial number to a MODEL NAME.   Search under  Model number is confusing to me.

Clean part of the bilge yesterday.  I pulled the bilge screw-in plug, in the Forward cabin bilge.  Then hosed-down  the center bilge.  From just under the Salon, to Stern (Transom), I have 5 total blige compartments.   2 compartment bilges are Non-Drain).  Which are: HULL-SIDE and ENGINE compartments.   And a "Center" "Keel" bilge that drains to Forward.  The 2 Non-drain bilges are, , ...ON EACH SIDE.   Lots more cleaning to do, then I'll degrease.   The fiberglass color was painted (I think)  Green.

PHOTOS:   Starboard engine, top view.    And bilge after wash-down and before degreasing.

Thanks for interest and help.   Hope wife is better, Jim.

Dan   (Fly Bridge)

Edited by Fly Bridge on March 25 2012 at 15:37

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: March 26 2012 at 09:43 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

FLYBRIDGE I USED GRAY COLOR IN MY BILGE HOLDS UP REALLY WELL

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 26 2012 at 10:06 | IP Logged Quote Berg

FlybridgeWow I didn't realize you had fuel injection. That is a nice setup you got yourself there. The MPI stands for Multi Port Injection. That must be nice! I'm guessing the engines use electric fuel pumps if that is the case. You figure after all these years they would have made manifolds and risers with modified ports to keep raw water from running back into the cylinders in the event of a riser failure. It really makes you think how many marine engines fall victim to this.

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 26 2012 at 10:12 | IP Logged Quote Berg

Floater- I am planning on bottom coating mine this year too even though it is on the trailer. My original plan was to strip it bare to the fiberglass to get the years of layers of paint off of it. I got almost all of it down but whatever is left on there now isn't much and it has a really good bond to the hull so I'm thinking at this point it can stay and I'm going with a trailerable paint. My topsides and hull look like crap. I need to do a full compounding and I still never repainted my stripes.

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

RickP
"Seaman"

Posted: March 26 2012 at 10:26 | IP Logged Quote RickP

Someone is selling a 280 on Ebay and using Marks boat as the
intro! He does however state in the Ad it's a "like" boat and
the girls not included.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-Chris-Craft-28-
Express-Cruiser-/290689057680?
pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item43ae6b0390#ht_500wt_118

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: March 26 2012 at 11:39 | IP Logged Quote floater251

I thought that was his boat!
Berg, talked to a rep for the Pettit unepoxy. Was told great
for trailering, easy prep, and under $100 shipped from wholesale
marine. Now need alot do elbow grease on the topsides.
Floater

]
] ]
191 Pages « 185 186 187 188 189 190 191

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version