View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages « 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: August 06 2008 at 11:35 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

I heard that story a while back. I believe it. You could'nt believe how many idiots are out on the water on the weekends down here. Boats overloaded, kids riding on the bow with their feet hanging over the front @30 knots, kayakers paddling in the crossroads with 60 foot sportfish boats that won't slow down for them, can't believe more people don't get hurt or killed. Capt. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: August 06 2008 at 12:12 | IP Logged Quote floater251

bill, im a nail-bender by blood. service department advisor by trade. my father and his brothers all craftsmen. brother in the field too. i worked with dad in the past doing commercial upfits for a couple of years. the past 16 years ive been in the dealerships working as service advisor and manager. i do handyman stuff on the side for extra money. i love woodworking, but around here, it does not pay. to many "others" underbidding every trade. so, im stuck in the dealership. im fat and bald so prostitution is out of the question, so...here i am!

floater.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: August 06 2008 at 13:31 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Floater, I guess we have something in common. I was an autoworker for one of the big 3 for 30 years. Walked in At 18 years old, walked out at 48. For most of those 30 years I hated it, but it paid the bills. The job I have now with Hinckley is ok, but I'd rather be at the helm of a sport fish. But ya gotta do whatca gotta to take care of the family. So here I is for the present. Capt. H

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 06 2008 at 16:05 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

HI Floater & Heavy: Yes I guess we all get  in that grind when you have a family at home and the bills come regular.Ugh  I just the dealerships are really hurting as well due to the high fuel,etc .I was tempted to go North when I got out of High school but never made the trip.ha guess Detroit would have never been the same?I was a Tennessee State Trooper for 20 years and then started doing carpentery  work .Got in the building business never got rich but paid the bills and my kids got grown and left so the expenses of raising kids was gone.I have 2 sons 1 is a lawyer and other is a contractor. Yes,Floater the same applies around here also about the bidding cheap.They really muddy up the water.Ha O'well that life and we will all make it some how.  Heavy : I used to want to run a charter boat also!I have my Captains license and the whole package . Ha I did do some practice runs with my friends at Suwannee. I don't think you can make a living at it .Maybe if your a captain on a really nice sport fisher that the owner wants to charter that would be best. Better stay at Hinkley as you have a slip.Ha See Ya,Bill
Back to Top Printable version View suwanneered's Profile Search for other posts by suwanneered

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: August 07 2008 at 09:18 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Bill and everyone else. As far as Detroit is concerned, you didn't miss anything. Been there several times getting tooling ready for new models at our plant in Delaware. Biggest craphole I've ever seen. Absolutely filthy, run down, very depressing. Also  closing the plant in De. where I worked at. I have a 50 ton masters license and ran sight seeing boats and water taxis both in De. and Fl. and ran some fishing charters on Mystic Diver II on the Chesapeake. Really enjoyed the sightseeing charters, but there was too many management changes in  the companies I worked for so I got out of the business for a while. Looking to get back in part time. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: August 07 2008 at 11:16 | IP Logged Quote floater251

bill, heavy, oh yes, the automotive industry is taking a hard hit with the fuel prices. it is trickling down to the service departments. people are not even servicing their vehicles. i am lucky i guess working for a big name, "hendrick", the mom and pop stores are badly hurting.

has anyone heard from dewy? im going to virginia next month and i hoped to stop and see him. oh well. ya'll have a good day.

floater

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: August 07 2008 at 15:32 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

O.K. gang, it's just about beerthirty. Hot down here, no wind today. We're having a little cookout for lunch tommorow. We do that once in a while here at hinckley, nothin' fancy, just burgers and dogs. However, I will be bringing some smoked kinfish dip. Had the king we caught last sunday smoked at l local smokehouse. So good. Anyway, see ya friday. Capt. H.

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: August 10 2008 at 20:41 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Good evening all!  was a pretty buisy weekend. went out with my uncle to lake norman on his searay, wow, those I/O's are so easy to run. water was very strange. we were at about 30 feet deep, dove in and the water temp was 95 deg! it was almost uncompfortable. we kept going until we we hit over 100 feet. wasnt much cooler. that is the snootiest crowded lake ive ever seen. people there seem to have more money than smarts.  its a meca for 40 plus foot cruisers and offshore racers. by the time noon came, i thought i was in the ocean.

did get a phonecall on the floater, met him this morning and took him for a ride. he nit-picked the boat to death insulted its performance, than said the price was to high for a "boat" like that. i wanted to strangle him. i wasted $20 in gas to get there and atleast that much taking him and his 2 sons down the river.

oh well, i have to tend to the severe sunburn on my bald head. have a fun week at work!

floater!

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 10 2008 at 21:32 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hey Floater: I bet you wanted to drown the sucker that was on sea trial! Ha I have had that before also.That is the worse part about dealing with the Public. I was all set to do some charter work and never did because I really didn't want to put up with some people. Some are great to be with and some not so good>>UGH Well maybe a buyer will come along soon as you need to sell before Labor Day or I doubt if you can. Did you get the hit off Craigslist?
I almost have my 280 ready for the water may be in a week she will go it for a test run.See Ya,Bill
Back to Top Printable version View suwanneered's Profile Search for other posts by suwanneered

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 10 2008 at 21:44 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

HI Capt Heavy: I trust you had a good weekend! I see where you from Delaware. I once bought a boat up there from a guy and I was a nightmare to say the least.Ha But My son and I went up to Shelbyville,Del. Guess you know where that place is . We sure did enjoy the trip and that part of ther country is nice but I bet cold in the winter.I bought a boat off e bay and it was a piece of junk for sure.He was a trailer dealer and that boat was being sold for a charity and he was the agent.Nothing but a slick talking crook.He waqs supposed to have a boat trailer there to load it on and he didn't even do that and I came back with out a boat. ha I have had a lot of experiences like that. I better get this baot finisdhed before I got any more. I would like to get a bigger boat but lots of reasons I guess that will not happen. My age ,no place to dock it and high cost of operation.I guess gas will finally settle around 3.50 and everyone will be happy.Ha Have a good week! Se YA, Bill
PS I got the charger you recommended and it is working great, Thanks.

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: August 11 2008 at 23:20 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

hello cat owners:  I took red baron out for a run a couple of days ago; it was great getting on the water again. the boat performed excellent withe engines running like the preverbal top. makes me feel a little guilty for even thinking about selling her. got another trip planned on wednesday;going to a nice ancorage about 15 miles away to do some casting and have a picnic. no I'm hanging in with the boat will just keep doing things that don't require a lot of fuel.   Floater, looked up your ad on the list, your boat looks good I was surprised at the price; thought it was priced pretty low. if you don't have a lot of expensive repairs to do it should sell. I am a broker here in Oriental if I had the boat close enough to show I'm sure I could sell it. Just hang in on your price you can get that or more.  My cat has a norcold refrigator that seems to work well cycles on and off good but dosent get real cold. I have no experience with the norcold upright unit and have not pulled it out yet. can you add coolant, and is there any maintaince required. any thoughts anyone?

A little happy news; fuel in this area had droped about 35 cents in the past 3 weeks. not good enough but a good start. cast the right vote in november and we'll get it on down.       RED BARON ORIENTAL NC

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 12 2008 at 08:09 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hey Redbaron: Good to hear someones out enjoying the boating season. Well I am about ready to splash my old 280 soon I hope!Been a long time getting alll of the stuff done to it which I had to do. Never buy a total Boat!UGH
FlOATER: i THINK THE PRICE OF THOSE 251 IN DECENT SHAPE  SHOULD BE AT LEAST 7 TO 8 k SO  MAYBE YOU WILL GET SOME ACTION SOON.See ya ,Bill

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: August 12 2008 at 08:33 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hi all--well what a week it has been,all ten of us on sally the first day,was really hot and those YANKEES got toasted hehheh,they all had a great time and the boat performed really well (thankyou great boat god) the rest of the week it was different,smaller (4-5)for fishing got skunked,seems the best fishing was at late night and no one wanted to go (sissies)I don't think there are any more shells left on Marco,they seemed to have them all  all in all it was a lot of fun and made all of those hours repairing sally well worth the effort.oh the patent number for the boatmann66 boarding ladder is (ugottaget1) way to go redbaron,it really is nice to get in her and go AND come back!!!suwannee hope the splash goes well!!More later as I think I have to check into rehab for a few days,my rehab center is the couchI never drank that much beer,and those crazy younguns stay up very very late geesh

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: August 12 2008 at 08:39 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

boatmans tribehe's the old bald guy

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: August 12 2008 at 09:31 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Ya'll. Boatman, thats a good lookin' crew ya got there, sounds like everyone had a good time. Floater, whenever I have someone who insults my boat I just tell them they need to spend $350,000 for a brand new boat the same size as my old Chris. Kinda puts things in perspective. Bill, I've heard of Shelbyville, but not sure where it is. Must be in lower (slower) Delaware. I grew up in South Jersey, moved to De when I was about 26. lived there until I moved to Fl. in 2001. Yes it is cold in the winter. And wet. And damp. And grey. And bleak. And I ain't never goin' back to live. As a matter of fact My wife and I refuse to visit  our family in the winter. My rule of thumb is I won't live anywhere that palm trees don't grow. HA! Believe it or not there is a big weather difference in the winter in Florida, in orlando, which 100 miles north of Stuart, there can be a temp difference of 10 or 15 degrees. I think I'll stay right here. Capt. H

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 12 2008 at 14:03 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

HI Heavy:
Yes ,Shelbyville is in the southern part just about 10 miles across the Maryland State Line. It was in the spring when I was there and we also went to Ocean City,Md. High Dollar Place...
I like Fla but my wife don't like it at all.Here in Tennesse it gets cold some but not for days on end. WE used to have lot colder winters but not any more,Guess it is Global Warming tha Al Gore is always talking about. He is having a large boat converted to Solar Power.Ha He uses more electricty at his house and you could furnish about 6 ordainary houses with his usage.
Floater I would go up a few dollars on the boat and you can always come down.Ha Hope it sells as I have a 23 John Allman I need to move before winter but guess it will still be around as I need to cean it up and I haven't took the time as I am working steady trying to get the CC in the water.See Ya,Bill

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: August 12 2008 at 15:24 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi Floater,

I just did a value search on Nada.com, tried to plug in a few basic extras and this is what it spit out:

PRICING   
     Low Retail    Average Retail
 Base Price
    $4,770   $5,400
 Reported Engine Range: 231 - 265 HP (5.0L - 5.7L)
 Total adjustment for your engine(s): Add $315
 Options
Power Boat: CANVAS
Bimini Top   $145   $165  
Bridge Enclosure   $1,260   $1,430  
Power Boat: ELECTRONICS
Battery Charger - Dual 10 amp   $90   $100  
Fish Finder - Max Depth 600'   $85   $95  
Power Boat: ENTERTAINMENT
Stereo - am/fm cassette w/4 speakers   $125   $140  
Power Boat: GALLEY
Pressure Water System   $80   $90  
Refrigerator - AC/DC - 6 cu. ft.   $270   $310  
Power Boat: MISCELLANEOUS OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
Swim Step w/Fold Down Ladder   $120   $135  
Trim Tabs / Hydraulic   $245   $280  
 TOTAL PRICE   $7,505   $8,460

I know this is a tough market to be a seller.  I sold my 1996 Seaswirl which had a nada value of 8000, I got 5600 for it.  Likewise when I bought the 280 Catalina, the nada value showed 14k but I paid only 7k, leaving me some room to invest into it.  The surveyor valued it at 16k which I though was a little high.

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: August 12 2008 at 16:12 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Thanks all for the input. looks like i need to hold strong on the price. i will keep it listed over the next couple months. at the end of september, i will haul out and take to a friends where i will continue to work on it. keeping my fingers crossed to get out of the situation im in without selling her. will always have big dreams to take her to the nc/va icw for my 15th annaversary in 2 years. really neat sight seeing trips in norfolk va and surrounding towns.

ya'll, thanks for your support. i never met ya'll, but i feel like i ve known you for years.

floater

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: August 13 2008 at 15:33 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey gang. New subject. Although mystic diver is fiberglass, the cabin bulkhead and companionway door are wood. I'v replaced the bulkhead twice. The first  time about 12 years ago I tried just replacing the bad wood. Lasted a few years but started getting soft again. about 5 years ago I replaced the entire bulkhead from the deck to the flybridge. What a job, but I did it right, using 3/4" marine plywood, coating it with west system epoxy and spraying it with Interlux 2 part polyurethane. Still looks good and solid as a rock. I replaced the door a little later, but I found a soft spot. Even though I used 3m 5200 around the window trim some water made it's way into a screw hole. Good news is our intrepid carpenters had a piece of 3/4 inch marine ply mahogany laminate laying around. Cut to order today. Will keep you posted on progress. Capt.H

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: August 13 2008 at 22:14 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

Hey guys:

Question for boatman; since we have the same hulls and our engines are close. Have you withe the help of your fuel flow guages ever determined the most efficent RPM for getting from point A to B? considering all factors, speed, distance and time. Also what speed are you running at taht RPM?  Capt. Heavy, you said some water got in around a screw sealed with 5200. I've always considered 5200 a great adseavie but a poor choice for sealing and caulking. Have I been wrong about that? Good luck with the bulkhead repair.

Red Baron, Oriental NC where shrimping and fishing are setting new records this year.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: August 14 2008 at 08:08 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Red and everyone else. 3m 5200 is an excelent adhesive AND sealant. We use it here at Hinckley for all underwater thru hull fittings. Don't use it for anything you want to take apart later. Upon closer insection, it apears the wood under the trim on the companionway door had split, even though I had pre-drilled all the holes. This is where the water most likley entered. It's possible I drilled the pilot holes too small. Also, while I used marine plywood on the bulkhead, the door was made from A-B plywood. I had sealed  the entire door with west system epoxy, but as soon as the wood under the trim split, (out of sight of coarse) water got in. Dosn't take long for rot to set in in this heat. Got he opening for the window in the new door cut out yesterday. Will take my time on this project, and do it right. Capt. Heavy

Edited by Capt. Heavy on August 14 2008 at 08:09

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 14 2008 at 08:30 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hey Gang:
I have been putting that 5200 on everything  especially screws. It is tough stuff for sure and is flexible to a point.I am planning on trying to caulk my windows today  as they need to be resealed since all the repairs and they leak so I plan on trying to stop that.I like a dry bilge and know I will have leaks around the hatch covers as they are not the best fit I have seen however due to the age I guess they might have shrunk up some. I also hope to get my carpet installed in the cave this weekend. I will wait about putting it on the cotpit as I will be in and out of there  aliot I am sure fixing this and that.Have any of you tried that stuff Plummers goop? It is also a good adheasive and cures a lots faster than 5200.
Floater,any more bites on the sale? See Ya, BIll

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: August 14 2008 at 09:13 | IP Logged Quote floater251

capt heavy, what finish are you going to put on the mahogany? crying shame to paint over such a beautiful exotic.

bill, no bites yet, i guess EVERYONE is broke. keeping my head up. i do have an uncle that lives on lake norman amongst the money people. asked him to put the word out around there.

thanks, floater.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: August 14 2008 at 09:25 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hey Bill,

I too need to seal the cabin windows as they leak and there is an abundance of caulk around the exterior trim.  I was hoping to back the screws out, scrape all the caulk off and reseal them...I need to do this before having the new headliner installed.  I also need to replace the deck hatch over the v-berth as the hinges are no longer attached.

After I re-cored the lazarette hatch I installed new weather stripping and it does seal out most but not all of the water so now I am getting less in the bilge during rain or washing.  Like you said, the fit is a bit uneven but the weather stripping made up for most of it.

Tom

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 14 2008 at 19:47 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hi Tom: Hope all is well with you and the rest of your family>As far as the windows I have some leaks also and read  a post where if you drill a couple of  holes in the fin that is in the middle of the track down close to the corner where it comes to a point the water will drain out and not come over the track that is inside.I did mine that way and haven't had any rain to check it out.I am going to use some GE 100% Silacone Rubber caulking on the out side and also pull some screws down along to bottom of the windows and see if I can see any thing.I put new rubber on the front one  and resealed them.I really think I could have just cleaned the rubber and maybe rubbed it down with some brake fluid and put plenty of sealant and that would have worked as well. I have had the side windows out and cleaned the track and put in some new slides for them .Be sure and clean the drain holes in the lower track and that will let the  water out.Don't drill any holes till I find out if it will work or not.Ha I I hope it works!!If no I will JB weld the shut the holes I drilled I mean.I will be in covered slip  so don't have to worry to much.I am going to be on the Tennessee River just west of Chattanooga. Real nice and could go all the way to the gulf that is if you had the cash for fuel. Ha 

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: August 15 2008 at 21:34 | IP Logged Quote floater251

happy friday!!!!!! never mind, i work tomorrow.

captn heavy, how did the door turn out? i would like to see some pix! you know when ever anyone is doing woodwork, they have my undivided attention. this is the only subject i can give advise on. thats if anyone ever needed it.

have a great weekend!!!!! floater.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: August 16 2008 at 08:49 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hi redbaron and all,I'm out of rehab and am getting ready for the next onslaught of visitors,due in the last week of august!seems like last week was just june,we must be having fun huh? (time flies when your'e having fun) red,I find 2800 rpm to be a good cruise speed trim tabs at about 10 degrees,fuel consumption at around ten gallons an hour per engine.Of course I can't resist punchin her to wot once in awhile just to hear those secondaries open up god they are loud!!and the fuel jumps up to 20 gals per hour,so they don't stay up there very long....You have the 305's on yours right? they should get better fuel usage as your carbs are 650cfm's where mine are 350's with 750cfm's. But around 2800 is about the best cruise speed I have found.The cc catalog says cruise is 17 knots and wide open is 22knots.Not to change the subject,but following are two pix of another way to do the tops of boats,I kinda like the bimini with the space,you could velcro in a strip to keep the rain out,I may try that design,as my canvas top is really an oven and the fans seem to do a minimum job.keepin an eye on the tropics sothwest fla is at the present in the cone!!!! 

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: August 16 2008 at 08:51 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: August 16 2008 at 08:53 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

this is the one I like 

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: August 17 2008 at 21:56 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

HEY GANG

Boatman, thanks for the info regarding cruise speed. My engines are not 305's I wish they were. Mine are the big block 280 hp each.

My dodger has rectangle cut out of the center, it is about 2ft wide and 3ft deep. Each long side has zippers. when you up snap it fron the windshield and un zip it the section can be rolled up and snaped to the top. It works well and you could modify your existing dodger real easy. It is easy to put it up and down.

ps boatman were you talking 10gal per hr per engine of 10 gal per hr total?

Red baron oriental nc.

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: August 18 2008 at 07:55 | IP Logged Quote floater251

capt heavy, boatman, i hope you are getting ready to get out of there with the storm coming. ya'll are welcome to stay here, may get a little crowded, but you are welcome to stay. anyhow, batten down the hartches boys, here she comes.

floater.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: August 18 2008 at 11:57 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey' Floater, thanks for the Invite, but I'll ride this one out. Got plenty of beer on hand, pleanty of gas for the generator to keep my beer cold and my butt cool. Ha, been thru 3 major hurricanes in 13 months, we know how to prepare. Won't see me on tv standing in line for free food. losers. Hope thisw weather moves out soon, grandaughter flying in wed. afternoon, want to take her out thursday fishing and snorkling if it's nice. got a fishin' trip planned for sat. morning with some of our crew at hinckley. Should be fun. Mystic Diver running perfect, did oil and filter change sat. NEED TO CHECK RAW WATER STRAINERS NEXT. Went fishin Sunday, nothin' to bragg about, just a lot of small snapper, grunts, blue runner and a few nice porgies. porgies are excellant pan fish, nice white meat and firm mild fillets. Double breaded withe japanese bread crumbs and fried, yum yum. Capt. Heavy

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: August 18 2008 at 23:13 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

Hello Cat owners:

Boatman and Capt Heavy; hope you guys are dug in good for the weather down there. And that your boats are well protected, it would be bad to hurt the cats.

Hey gang, I an having some doubts that my boat is proped correctly. Its a 294 cat with 350 chev blocks running 2 13-11 props. Max RPM according to the manuel should be 4500. I am finding that they will reach up to about 52-5300. I discovered that when the boat was lite, 1/4 fuel with just me onboard. Anyone have and input as to size and pitch.

Red Baron Oriental NC

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: August 19 2008 at 05:32 | IP Logged Quote floater251

baron, i am by no means a pro, but an elevin pitch sounds very low, im thinking it should be around 13. ive been concerned about the same with the floater, but the max rpms are 4600. i dont know the pitch, never checked before i put her in. from what i was told, she is set up right. she just needs help staying in plane.

new subject...drops of transmission fluid in the bilge. looks like its coming from in between the engine and the trans. additional question...will the transmission slip like a car if it is low on trans fluid?

boatman, heavy, keep hanging on, its almost over. prayers are with you.

floater

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 19 2008 at 08:26 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hey Floater: It might be the front seal in the tranny beginning to leak. That is where a lot of the tranny pressure is located.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: August 19 2008 at 09:10 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, ya'll. Boatman , 8:15 am, looks like the eye came close to you, now headed for me. We're getting tons of rain, wind  forty mph+. Yard still open, but not many people here, only those who have work inside. Floater, I havn't had many problems wit my trans, (thank God). However on an old Trojan 25 with a velvet drive trans, fluid level was low and simply would not engage. Topped off trans and all ok. If trans is leaking between engine and trans, most likley the front seal. How much is it leaking? Capt. H.

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: August 19 2008 at 09:54 | IP Logged Quote floater251

capt heavy, just a fiew drips in the bilge water. enough to catch my attention. can dip finger into the spots and pick up fluid. temp fix? until winter haul out.

floater

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: August 19 2008 at 11:48 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Re: trans fluid leak

Yup, had the same problem. On the Borg Warner Velvet drives- a simple maintenance item.

One of the coolest cleaners I've recently found is disc brake spray, availible at any auto parts store. I always have a can on the boat!  It's under hi pressure, cleans like crazy and evaporates fast. If you can get compressed air to the boat, that helps too.  So. Thourghly clean off the area around the tranny shifter assembly- on top, both sides. What happens is that over time, the shifter O-rings leak. The tranny fluid seeps out through the o-rings and follows a course down the side of the tranny resulting in what looks like a leak at the bell housing. The way to be sure of the leak source is to thuroughly clean the tranny. Apply black engine paint.  Run the engine for a few hours. Inspect for tranny fluid in the shifter area again and for a rivelet down the side of the tranny. Swapping out the shifter o-rings is simple...go online to Borg Warner for the drawings and procedure as needed, order the o-ring from I think, Quicksilver(Murcruiser). While your in there, also order and replace the shifter locator ball and spring- no big deal- this is where the compressed air comes in handy- cleaning out the top of the tranny- don't use cleaner, it'll contaminate the fluid. Use a good o-ring lube on the shifter and a marine grease on the ball and spring reassembly...your tranny will love you for it!

Re: the engine RPM- yeah, 5400 RPM is too hi. 4400>4600 'bout right.  I think factory pitch is around a 17. Get a diver to remove the props and have your prop guy to adjust the pitch...day and night differance! 

Diver 

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: August 19 2008 at 21:04 | IP Logged Quote floater251

capt heavy, boatman, just checking on you 2. looks nasty on the news. everything ok? keep hangin on fellas!!!!

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: August 20 2008 at 11:39 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

thanks for caring fellassally sat high and dry on her lift with a lot of lines holding her in place,(she went through wilma) so she is fastly becoming a veteran,fay hit about 3-330 am,I was up at 12,2,and 3,I keep my hand held billion trillion power spotlight handy and have a three inch gap on the hurricane panels to look through so I can light up the night and see sally,( don't know what I would do if I looked out and she wasn't there. ) I hate these night time hurricanes,if we are going to get hit I would prefer daytime.power was off for about 5 hrs,but the generator makes things tolerable.no real damage on Marco or surrounding area,thank you oh great gate keeper for keeping fay a tropical storm,we needed the rain, especially lake O.Think it was enough? Capt. Heavy?--  Red Baron that was ten gal per hr per engine.And yes your RPM's are way to high,should be at 4500 MAX..be careful,don't blow an engine..the trans suggestions are very good,diver is right on,about cleaning first.there is so many connections,trans cooler,shifter,etc that is really worth the effort to pin down the leak first..thanks floater and all  

]
] ]
191 Pages « 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version