View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages « 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: December 31 2011 at 10:14 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

great timing Boatman! 

Ian, Welcome!  I completely agree with Roy.  While delaminated decks are a major concern, you need to take into account the entire boat.  It sounds like the water ingress is due to an improperly sealed front deck hatch or thru-deck anchor hardware.  My Catalina had delamination around both areas but it had not spread to the larger area of the fore-deck.  I was able to easily remove the deck hatch scoop out al the wet core material install new plywood and install and seal a new hatch.  I had not gotten to the wet area under the teak bow pulpit but it would have been an easy task.  A good marine inspector/surveyor will be able to tell you the condition and how extensive the damage is IF the boat is relatively inexpensive and has other attributes that make it a good deal, maybe it is one to consider.  I bought mine after the marine survey knowing the extent of the damage but since she had a new, upgraded motor and the hull below the rubrail was 100% solid and shiny I could not pass up the deal.  Perhaps the surveyor would be willing to look at the fore deck first and charge you only for that time spent before going onto the rest of the boat?  Good luuck and keep us updated.  Great to have you onboard.

Tom

Edited by Nauti Cat on December 31 2011 at 10:15

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: December 31 2011 at 10:19 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

regarding the outboard powered Catalina, that I something I always thought about.  The re-engineering of the transom must have been a heck of a project, probably had to move the fuel tank forward and install bigger trim tabs to keep bow rise under control.  What an ideal boat...the perfect hull/cabin layout with the easiest to maintain power and hull draft being your only limitation to exploring skinny waters.  I love it!

Jim, if you have a chance to see it again and take photos, I would love to see the details.

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: December 31 2011 at 10:22 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Quote: Happy Hour III

Here is a picture from the boat parade I just got , Tomorrow going to check on her  What a great time THE BEST !!!!!!

That looks awesome Jim!  I see you are #10 but I call it a perfect 10!

Boatman, great job on the new canvas, I love the vent-flaps idea...shade and air at the same time.  I wonder how that will help control the CO collection from the engine exhaust.  Do you have a meter on board? test it with them open and closed.

Edited by Nauti Cat on December 31 2011 at 10:23

"MY WAY"

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: December 31 2011 at 13:32 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Congrats to "Commander Tom"!!!
Just got home last night from my first cruise, went to the
Bahamas. Went out on a 30' sailboat in Nassau, relaxing
And quiet! Reckin we can put a sail on the #2? beautiful
clear water, kept thinking we were going to go aground but
the captn kept reminding me that we were in twenty feet
Of water. Had to explain to him if we see the bottom here
at home we will be shelling out for major repairs.
My uncle and his friends every year all trailer to FL and
the group of them cruise to the Bahamas, usually lasts for
two weeks. Perhaps one day we all can do the same,
leave out from Stuart and spend a couple days there.
Maybe get some fishing lessons from Captn' Heavy!
Well, y'all have a safe and happy Newyear!
Floater.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: December 31 2011 at 16:50 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Thanks Jim...  if they can put outboards on a Catalina I am sure we can find a way to rig a mast and sail 

"MY WAY"

Swallowtail
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 01 2012 at 10:32 | IP Logged Quote Swallowtail

Hi,

Thanks for the information regards the soft deck. As the boat stands that is the only problem I can find at the moment so I am having a survey done next week and if everything else is ok will further negotiate on price.

The engines have been changed already to small diesels as petrol is very expensive over here and hard to get (Petrol 9 Dollars a gallon , Diesel about 10 ) and as the boat is for inland rivers use we are limited to just 6mph.

Hope you all have a Happy New Year!

Ian

Back to Top Printable version View Swallowtail's Profile Search for other posts by Swallowtail

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: January 01 2012 at 11:55 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

COMMANDER "NAUTI CAT"

RickP
"Seaman"

Posted: January 01 2012 at 12:51 | IP Logged Quote RickP

wow...I'm jealous of you guys that are still boating in winter! We ended up with two inches of slush and snow today! Ian...I will never complain about the price of gas again! Hopefully the ole girl checks out, I'd love to see pictures of the twin diesels in her! Good luck and Happy New Year to all!

venny
"Seaman"

Posted: January 01 2012 at 13:59 | IP Logged Quote venny

swallowtail,my boat was soft at chain locker, pulled ,dug all wet balsa wood and DRIED in side layers with shop vac,used foam sealer all is good 3 yrs later,rest of boat is great,but it is a 1978, good luck

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: January 01 2012 at 14:24 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

got to take a drive on the beach today along the ocean...mild 50 degrees and sunny

Cap't Nick:

"MY WAY"

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: January 01 2012 at 19:03 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

hey Tom Thank you so much for the perfect 10 , It was  great , I want to start one up there in LI. What Beach was that I used 4 wheel all the time up there at Jones beach?  I love it great Picture . 

Happy New Year Caps hope you all had a great day! I wish all of you and your families a very Happy New Year!

Great day down here 78 and Sunny . We took the boat out for a nice ride. Perfect day . I do have a block some were in the waste line  .Went to pump out and there was a blockedge ???? Time for a new toilet on the Happy Hour III the bowl  Tom & Roy showed me  what do I need for that ?????? I need to go get one.  Tom you had one too on My Way what did you think ?????  Here is some Pictures from today dont worry none from our pump at mess lol .

Back to Top Printable version View Happy Hour III's Profile Search for other posts by Happy Hour III

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: January 01 2012 at 19:27 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Jim, I am not sure about the beaches in Nassau...Robert Moses has Sore Thumb and then all the suffolk county beaches are further east.

My Way has a manual Jabsco head and a 9 gallon holding tank plumbed only to the deck fitting...no macerator. Simple, reliable design.

Great pix...Always loved the shots from the helm..."cap't's view"

"MY WAY"

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: January 01 2012 at 20:12 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Thanks Tom Check your email I sent you an email. I know sore thumb by the old OBI . The good old days of the OBI , Look at that I am a "First Mate " now  5 years on this amazing forum I think you are all great ! its great to be a part of ! Thanks guys

Back to Top Printable version View Happy Hour III's Profile Search for other posts by Happy Hour III

CCRider
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 01 2012 at 21:43 | IP Logged Quote CCRider

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL CC CAPTAINS!

When we bought our '79 CC a couple of years ago, the anchor windlass was mounted on a solid walnut board (I think.  Fine grained and heavy).  The windlass bearings were shot, so I removed both it and the mounting plank, which I kept thinking I might want to use it again, but finally decided not to.  Anyway, will give it to anyone that wants it, if you pay packaging and postage.  Size is 1-1/4x10-1/2x20-3/8".  Stained dark red walnut.  In great condition other than holes drilled for windlass.  I can send a photo if anyone's interested.

Denis

Back to Top Printable version View CCRider's Profile Search for other posts by CCRider

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: January 02 2012 at 20:01 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Tom I sent you an email via my gmail Jimmietv@gmail.com thats my other email . Thanks

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: January 02 2012 at 20:31 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Quote: Happy Hour III
Thanks Tom Check your email I sent you an email. I know sore thumb by the old OBI . The good old days of the OBI , Look at that I am a "First Mate " now  5 years on this amazing forum I think you are all great ! its great to be a part of ! Thanks guys

Jim, just replied to your email...

Wow...you've been on longer than me!  cool

"MY WAY"

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: January 02 2012 at 22:52 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Gang, Happy new year to All. Nice pix JimHH3, Weather down in s.e. florida has been great, but that changes TONITE!! Lows in the 30's, highs in the 50's????  Anyway, had a chance to fish with a friend and caught 2 sailfish and 10 bonita(worthless). First mate and I took the Boss's Donzi out of Jupiter Inlet New Years day. Left the inlet @ 1:30PM, caught 2 dolphin and 2 bonita by 2:30 pm and were back at the dock by 3:25 PM. Not a bad start to the new year!!

Soft decks! I have 2 cockpit hatches that need some work. I have to take them home and cut out the underside, remove all the old wood and re-glass some new wood or divinicell and finish them off. Just have to find the time and $$$ to do it.

Hello, to all new members, lotsa great info and great people here!! Nite, All, Capt. Steve

Edited by Capt. Heavy on January 02 2012 at 23:00

Pineapple Girl
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 03 2012 at 15:29 | IP Logged Quote Pineapple Girl

Denis / CC Rider, where on the Delta do you keep your boat?  We are hopefully going to look at a CCC 251 on Saturday up that way and then maybe look at a few marinas on the delta to potentially keep it in.  We visited a few places in the trawler last summer but looking for more possibilities...  (we keep our trawler in the South Bay and are looking at the CCC for some Delta exploring).

SF Bay Area
Blog
Back to Top Printable version View Pineapple Girl's Profile Search for other posts by Pineapple Girl

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: January 03 2012 at 23:44 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Ian,

Having twin diesels does change the equation. In the States,  deisels are worth twice what gas engines are. But there are always tradeoffs- clean fuel is primary with good fuel filtering. I've never heard of a 280 with twin D's- Veerry Cool indeed- unique too! On the canals, they probably won't get run hard or at speed.  Suggest A test run at sustained W.O.T. Diesels like to be run hard at 80%  plus of their rated horsepower. Keeps things clean inside. Is there any history on the boat? With twins, was it used for open water cruising? May it be possible to run one engine only to bring up that engine's load- let it work harder?

Would you upload pics? Would love to see this boat- especially the engine setup!

best, Roy (Diver)    

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: January 04 2012 at 19:40 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

I secound Diver Would love to see pics of the engine set up

CCRider
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 04 2012 at 19:56 | IP Logged Quote CCRider

Jennifer,

We keep boat at Korth's Pirate's Lair Marina on the Delta Loop, just off the main channel.  One of best marinas in the delta.  Has a good cafe, lots of friendly folk, also lots of empty slips right now.  There are a couple other 280s there but haven't met owners.  If you call or stop by, ask for Tom (harbor master).  Super Guy!  Best sheds are F, G, H, I, (we're in I) best slips on east side of sheds.  We live in Half Moon Bay.

Denis

Back to Top Printable version View CCRider's Profile Search for other posts by CCRider

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: January 04 2012 at 23:10 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Gang. Freezin' our booties off in S.E. Florida. OK, maybe that's an exageration, but it is a bit nippy down here. Had to replace Mystic Diver's VHF radio a few weeks back. Got a good deal on a West Marine DSC radio. Went to the BOATUS/MMSI website and got an MMSI registration number for $FREE!!

DSC=digital selective calling. If you have one of these radio's and you register it with BOAT/US in the event of an emergency, you push the distress alert button and the radio transmits an automated distress signal with boat info and location if radio is conected to a GPS. Good stuff. Nite, All, Capt. Steve

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: January 05 2012 at 19:47 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

hello all , a titch brisk down here but great weather. Going  to work on putting a new bowl in the head   soon. Batterys are doing great . Also going to pull her out in early March for a bottom job and a  hull wax . My wife is due in May with our baby girl . I want to have the baby out on the boat asap lol. We all know what happens when a boat sits . I will be going to get the smallest life vest they make .  So Captin fathers out there when is a baby about to go boating ????  Have a great night Captins

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: January 05 2012 at 20:23 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Hi Denis,

We're taking Lorelei out Sat around 10 am up the Embarkadero and back to blow off grass, pump out and sightsee. Would you and a guest like to go for a short excursion? Give us a chance to show off the boat to someone who would appreciate it! This would be with me and Laurie- my better half. I didn't know you lived in Half Moon Bay- we're neighbors.

Roy

MRE253
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 07 2012 at 10:36 | IP Logged Quote MRE253

HI  All haven't been on in a while   I would like also to see pictures of the Catalina outboard set up. Nauti Cat  I have half of the outboard setup my Cat is a 253 mercruiser I/O with a Mid Cabin I'm Happy with the setup of course  it's a single. I did come across a Catalina 291 flybridge on craigslist Hartford Conn. for sale $5500.00 if anyone interested ?. I envy you out there that can boat all year !!! keep up the great chatter & info.   Rick

Back to Top Printable version View MRE253's Profile Search for other posts by MRE253

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: January 07 2012 at 22:47 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Mreman, I have seen a 28 catalina in riviera beach, Fl. with a single outboard, but he doesn't use it much. However, there is a 251 catalina with TWIN yamahas in Tequesta Florida, that I see on a regular basis and it hauls BUTT!!

Keep warm, JimHH!! Capt. H.

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: January 08 2012 at 11:46 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Ahoy all,

Have a problem that cropped up yesterday. 

1) After securing for the day, I open the hatch to find salt water spraying all over the place. The water was being kicked up by the spinning raw water pump pulley.

2) The port riser is almost too hot to touch. Starboard riser is cool.

3) We pumped 35-40 gallons of saltwater out of the bilge. I think whatever happened occured just before tying up- enough time to allow that amount of water to accumulate in the bilge. The last time we were out was two weeks ago. All was dry then when I closed the raw water valve at the end of that day.

4) I failed to open the raw water valve and ran the engine for about 30 seconds before remembering and shutting down.  I opened the valve- all seemed fine after start-up. This is a brand new pump. I think the impellor would not fail in that space of time or in any event, causing a leak in the pump itself.

5) I localzed where the leak was coming from- but only generally. I have not done a full inspection. Maybe one of the pump hoses failed. Full inspection is next.

6) The only thing I can think of about the port riser is that there is water restriction- possibly the riser itself is clogged up.

Question: Is it possible that when one of two risers gets blocked- even partially, there is enough back pressure to cause a hose to split?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

thank you! Roy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: January 08 2012 at 19:02 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Diver, not a pro here but I do know an impeller ran
dry can shread to pieces and severly clog a cooling
system. I'd pull the impeller, if it's a belt driven unit
it could have overheated the shaft seal and caused
a leak, for that matter it can also happen to a direct
drive pump. That is where I would start. Hey, did
you cut an access through the step and bulkhead?
Floater.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: January 08 2012 at 19:29 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Roy,

I am not sure a clogged riser on its own can cause enough pressure for a hose to break, hmmm... as long as the by-pass hoses are functioning I would think no pressure would build up.

On My Way with the open cooling system (aka salt water cooled), I noticed a clogged riser as it was much hotter than the other one.  Turned out to be the by-pass check valve had rusted and broke, lodging itself in the riser but nothing leaked or hoses split.

"MY WAY"

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: January 09 2012 at 08:21 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

DIVER--I HAD THE MAIN HOSE FROM THE CIRCULATING PUMP SPLIT ON ME ONCE AND WATER SPRAYED EVERYWHERE!!FLOATER IS CORRECT IF THE RAW WATER PUMP RAN DRY FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME IT WILL SHRED THE IMPELLAR--AND OVERHEAT THE SHAFT--SOUNDS LIKE A SPLIT HOSE SOMEWHERE TO ME THOUGH-- THAT WAS AN AWFUL LOT OF WATER IN THE BILGE-- THE RAW WATER PUMP REALLY CAN PUMP A LOT OF WATER IN A SHORT TIME --LET'S HOPE IT IS A SPLIT HOSE OR A RUSTED PIPE CONNECTION KEEP US INFORMED --  

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: January 09 2012 at 10:29 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Diver, if the impellor  came apart, check the gear oil cooler, thats where the pieces will lodge themselves. I've never split a hose due to a blocked riser and I've replaced them on Mystic Diver at least 5 times in 22 years. Good luck. H.

Dewy
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 09 2012 at 20:05 | IP Logged Quote Dewy

Belated Happy New Year All,

Got a virus that killed my desktop and laptop,grrrrrrrrrrr .Got desk top wiped and back online,laptop still down.All is going good on my end.

Welcome to the new Captains since Christmas.Happy you could join OUR floatilla

Back to Top Printable version View Dewy's Profile Search for other posts by Dewy

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: January 09 2012 at 21:44 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Dewey:  I'm not tech guy, but I ONCE removed a virus causing problem, that REALLY screwed-up my laptop.  I did a "Restore", to an earlier time.  Don't know if it will work for you or not, but thought I would mention it, ok? 

Fly Bridge,  Dan

Edited by Fly Bridge on January 09 2012 at 21:45

Pineapple Girl
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 10 2012 at 15:10 | IP Logged Quote Pineapple Girl

I have a few questions for the group.  We are seriously looking at a 1985 CCC 251 as a second boat to keep on the California Delta.  Maybe we will be neighbors with Denis at Korths. 

So we went to look at it last weekend and it looks good.  We want to take another more thorough look and really check things out before we put in an offer.  Some little things

1. where is the water tank and the inlet to fill it? 
  2. has anyone replaced the dockside pump out porta pottie with a marine head and holding tank?  if so, where did you put the holding tank?
  3. what do you do for cooking? there is no cook top, oven or microwave on this boat (or bbq)
  4. it seems to have the original engine, a 220 hp inboard mercruiser.  but I thought the mercruisers were I/O?  can it really be inboard?
  5. said engine has 600 hours.  I assume it is only a mater of time before it needs to be rebuilt?  Comments? (is that a thread in itself?)  there is little maintenance info as the owner died.  Will not buy w/o an engine survey...

Thanks for your help.

SF Bay Area
Blog
Back to Top Printable version View Pineapple Girl's Profile Search for other posts by Pineapple Girl

RickP
"Seaman"

Posted: January 10 2012 at 17:42 | IP Logged Quote RickP

I can only help you out with bits and pieces at I own and am more familiar with the 280/290 series. The inboard is correct for the boat! Less moving parts than an I/O and easier to maintain so that's a good thing. The hours, it's hard to say as 600 hours is fairly low for the age. I had well over 1,000 on my Carvers Mercruiser and have seen them up into the 2000 mark. As long as it's maintained, has had proper oil changes, wasn't overheated, etc. it should serve you well. 

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 10 2012 at 18:57 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Hi Jennfier,

I have a 1986 293. My water tank is on the Port side, just
behind my battery boxes. It's a white plastic (acrylic?) tank
and the water fill port is right above it in the deck.

My boat has a MSD and holding tank with a macerator for
overboard discharge. Not that I ever get to use it. The tank
itself is on a board that spans the aft part of my engine
space, aft of the gas tank. It is on the Stbd side and in my
opinion a really poor location. As a result of where it is at,
to get to the rudder packing you have to take a bunch of
MSD gear and piping out. Not sure if that is factory, or after
though.

Hope that helps!

Jim

www.thehard6.com
Back to Top Printable version View JimInFla's Profile Search for other posts by JimInFla

venny
"Seaman"

Posted: January 11 2012 at 12:21 | IP Logged Quote venny

pineapple girl ,get 280, more room and comforts should already be there,much more room for overnites

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: January 11 2012 at 15:51 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Quote: venny
pineapple girl ,get 280, more room and comforts should already be there,much more room for overnites

Jennifer,

I totally agree with venny...if you dont need something that is more trailerable and you can get the dock space, go for the 280/281 Catalina.  With just 3 more feet of LOA and about 2 more feet of beam you'll get an amazing amount of space in the cabin.  When I first started looking for my Catalina we looked at 251's at first because that is a boat my uncle had when I was growing up but once I saw the 280 I was hooked!  Especially for my family (5 of us) we were very comfortable on board for a long weekend.  ig less than 5, you can set up the v-berth and settee bunk beds and not have to dismantle the dinette.  More elbow room in the cabin, more room in the engine compartment and if it is needed, you can find one with twin engines.

Good luck and post some photos of the catalinas you come across in your search.

"MY WAY"

Pineapple Girl
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 11 2012 at 21:19 | IP Logged Quote Pineapple Girl

Thanks for the info guys!  For Venny and Nauti Cat, this is already bigger than what we were originally looking for!  It's just the two of us, and we already have a 35' trawler so 25' is more than adequate, I just want to be able to eat aboard when we go out for a night or two.  And the holding tank on a porta pottie is not going to last long??  When we go take another look at this boat we will take pictures to post and so we can remember all the details... 

SF Bay Area
Blog

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 12 2012 at 11:05 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Jennifer,

The holding tank on my MSD will last a weekend without a
problem for 2 people aboard. But your mileage may vary
depending on the size of the holding tank.

Jim

www.thehard6.com
Back to Top Printable version View JimInFla's Profile Search for other posts by JimInFla

]
] ]
191 Pages « 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version