View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages « 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: November 04 2011 at 23:42 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hello, All. Smile, I don't have any GOOD recomendations for CC non-skid. A good scrubbing with soft scrub and bleach will brighten it up and remove most stains. H.

CCRider
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 05 2011 at 19:12 | IP Logged Quote CCRider

Re:  teak platforms.  When we bought CC Rider, the teak platform was in terrible shape, so ended up buying one made out of recycled material from a company called Plasteak.com.  Beautiful material and can be custom made in a variety of patterns.  After two years, the platform still looks like new teak! Not too expensive either.  No more varnishing!

Check it out!

Back to Top Printable version View CCRider's Profile Search for other posts by CCRider

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: November 05 2011 at 21:08 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

hello caps , good day today got the happy hour all put back together today. I re did the teak rails in the stern.  I bit windy down here in south Florida but still a nice day to work on the boat . Started the motors today boy what a great sound the motors now have . The gauges  are perfect.  The rail picture makes the rails look dark they are not really ? they look better in person. Having all the other wood done this week and a full detail . She should look great . Also going to start to get her ready for her 8th annual Christmas Boat Parade. Might take her out for a quick ride tomorrow.

Back to Top Printable version View Happy Hour III's Profile Search for other posts by Happy Hour III

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: November 05 2011 at 23:16 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Gang. JimHH, glad you are back on the water. If this wind ever stops, maybe we can go boating. Stuart air show next weekend!! Bonnie and I usually anchor out near hell gate and watch the f-16 and f-18 come over the river at tree top level. AWESOME!

CCRider, I have also used Plasteak on Mystic Diver. I first saw it at the Miami boat show about 9 years ago. Orderded some for a rear cabin bulkhead rebuild, mostly for trim around windows, companionway door, flybridge trim, Etc. Great thing about it, it has kept it's color for 9 years. Bad thing, and they did not tell me this when I bought it, it expands and shrinks a LOT with heat and cold.  Joints around windows open up in cool weather, cracks around screws have been a problem. Maybe if they had advised me on the problems with hot/cold issues, I could have compensated with tighter joints, larger pilot holes for screws, etc.

My son-in-law had a booth at the Ft. Lauderdale show last week, (Canvas and Towers) and he showed us a new product caled FlexiTeak. Looked like the real deal, but a composite product, no structural strength, but would look great on a deck or dive platform. Nite, All, H.

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 06 2011 at 11:44 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Quote: Happy Hour III

hello caps , good day today got the happy hour all put back together today. I re did the teak rails in the stern.  I bit windy down here in south Florida but still a nice day to work on the boat . Started the motors today boy what a great sound the motors now have . The gauges  are perfect.  The rail picture makes the rails look dark they are not really ? they look better in person. Having all the other wood done this week and a full detail . She should look great . Also going to start to get her ready for her 8th annual Christmas Boat Parade. Might take her out for a quick ride tomorrow.

Jim - HOLY CRAP!!! Your gauges are AMAZING!! I have dash envy!

Jim

Edited by JimInFla on November 06 2011 at 11:46

www.thehard6.com
Back to Top Printable version View JimInFla's Profile Search for other posts by JimInFla

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 06 2011 at 12:11 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Heavy, Jim-

We spent yesterday off NAS JAX watching out airshow. 35mph winds and cold. But that didn't stop us from firing up the new grill on the boat and having a good time!!

Edited by JimInFla on November 06 2011 at 12:14

www.thehard6.com
Back to Top Printable version View JimInFla's Profile Search for other posts by JimInFla

RickP
"Seaman"

Posted: November 06 2011 at 12:13 | IP Logged Quote RickP

That dash does look amazing! Every time I look at new posts or page through the past and bookmark, I keep getting new ideas! I hate to keep testing Mrs. "Claus's" sense of humor though as I just may end up with coal for Christmas. Your fuel gauge might be defective Happy Hour, it's only reading a tad over 1/2 a tank. Probably cost ya around $150.00 or so to repair that!

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 06 2011 at 12:49 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Quote: RickP
I've already bought licensing for Vbulletin and will be building a Catalina Specific forum including tech, general chat, fishing/adventure, etc. Licensing was almost $300.00 and I've hired an artist to get some of the graphics, fonts down. I'm into the project at $600.00 so far and should be done within the month or so. Hopefully that doesn't get me kicked off of here, but a forum that allows us to search, store, retrieve, kind of a home/club feel so to speak would be great for Catalina owners. Let me know your thoughts and what you'd like to see, I'll make it happen. Rick

Rick, I am so happy to hear that! I get so many errors from the Boats US forums it's not even funny. It doesn't play nice with Chrome (my preferred browser) and the fact that it can't dynamically resize images is a pain in the butt. It also seems like the external link function doesn't work right either.

Let me know if you need help getting it up and running. I work in an IT type job doing network design for wireless networks. IT network, not radio link.

Jim

www.thehard6.com

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: November 06 2011 at 13:33 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

HHIII, et all-

Very nice guages! The engine's kinda hard to tell/see-photos just don't quite say it. Shots of clean engines do suggest their condition though. Can't think of any photos of a clean engine that was, known to be dying. In my view, the act of maintaining a clean looking engine most always catches problems early before they get big.    With these straight exhaust systems- it's easy to tell when they're running smooth- especially at idle. A smooth running small block isn't easy to miss. The rails are lookin good!!

That great engine growl Cats get is part of CC's great racing legacy of in-line, horizontal mufflers- my guess: it also sold a lot of boats too! Practically what we on the West Coast call Greaser 'glass-packs'. If CC had installed the 'lifter' type exhaust (unecessary with Cat's geometry), the whole thing would sound differant. The down side of horizontals is they take up a fair amount of space negating the ability to install side-hull exhaust exits- a way to deal with the vortexing effect of transome mufflers. I reacenly noticed some boats have 1'-3' extenders on transome exhausts- a way to mitigate vortexing?

A handy thing I now keep in mind after our recent expensive experience replacing the exhaust manifold gaskets: discovery of a key spot for looking for signs of coolent water: the underside of the exhaust manifolds, right by the sparkplugs--- for signs of rust, staining or peeling engine block paint. Maintaining clean engine paint is a great way to be sure one can see all things well. If there is a water issue in the cooling system, this is one of the spots where the 1st evedence will show its ugly head. I use a large mirror w/telescoping handle with a flashlight to be sure I get a real good look. I now always do this as part of a post excursion inspection (belts, oil, ATF, hoses, exchanger seals, shaft log, exhaust gaskets, bilge) .

Boy, those Blue Angle jocks reeealy get around...they were just here in the Bay Area! If one needs to get around- can't think of a faster way to do it.

Winters coming on SF Bay. Here, the NW wind dies.  It's powerboat cruising time! One of the great blessings of being on the West Coast is a two season year... year after year after year. In L.A. L.A. Land, they say there is no weather- that's Hollywood! If we keep the boat in the water as we do, even when it freezes(rarely) the bay water acts as a heat-sink and keeps the engine temprature-safe.

Fall has always been my favorite time of year. The light, the smells, the colors. The Bay seems more at peace. Food smells differant, better even- fresh baked bread,  simmering stews. We always keep a pumpkin and cinimmin candle burning in the house this time of year. We're nesting...  a rare resting, gray day.

best all, Roy

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: November 06 2011 at 17:31 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Thanks guys. I replaced all the gauges when I had the motors overhauled  back in 2004 or so . Very glad I did them. I also put LED Bulbs in them as well. They look great at night.

Capt Steve when is the air show ? Saturday or Sunday ??? Hells gate where is that too ????

And About $200 bucks will fix my fuel gauge lol

Back to Top Printable version View Happy Hour III's Profile Search for other posts by Happy Hour III

smile n wave
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 07 2011 at 11:18 | IP Logged Quote smile n wave

RickP, you the man!  Look forward to it.  An official CC Catalina club to follow?

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: November 07 2011 at 13:20 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

It would be nice to have a catlina site that you can do on your phone and upload pictures right from  our phones I think there would be a lot more pictures on here. Also a lot less server issues. I do like the idea I just hope everyone follows ???? but if it is phone friendly I think it would be great. I can post from my phone just a pain so I wait to I get to the lap top. Keep us posted. Tom can also be of some help too????

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 07 2011 at 15:38 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Quote: Happy Hour III
It would be nice to have a catlina site that you can do on your phone and upload pictures right from  our phones I think there would be a lot more pictures on here. Also a lot less server issues. I do like the idea I just hope everyone follows ???? but if it is phone friendly I think it would be great. I can post from my phone just a pain so I wait to I get to the lap top. Keep us posted. Tom can also be of some help too????

THAT is a fantastic idea!

Jim

www.thehard6.com

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 07 2011 at 15:39 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Quote: smile n wave
RickP, you the man!  Look forward to it.  An official CC Catalina club to follow?

Count me in for that!

Jim

www.thehard6.com

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: November 08 2011 at 11:54 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Yes I was thinking we always have our phones with us when we head down to the boat. I would post so much more pictures if I could upload via phone right away . Just like Face Book however  I am NOT on Face Book any more. I think a Catalina site is a great idea . Happy Hour's full detal starts tommorow . I hope she comes out like jimfla boat we will see

RickP
"Seaman"

Posted: November 08 2011 at 19:48 | IP Logged Quote RickP

It's getting closer. A few more days it'll hopefully be ready to use as the forum needs to be layed out and some add ons need to be added to the forum itself, a week or so the actual background and artwork should be done. If anyone has some very cool/scenic pics and wouldn't mind having their CC Catalina on a forum, please let me know. My e-mail is rpaulick@earthlink.net   The actual site will be chriscraftcatalinaclub.com   It's not ready to use yet, but it is live as of now...stay tuned! Rick

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: November 09 2011 at 08:26 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Gang. Jim in Fl. wish the Blue Angels could come here! They claim our runway is too short. Rick P. Is your website for Cat owners only?? There's a whole bunch of other Chris owners out there.

JimHH, when you leave Willoghby Creek just look to the left. Thats hell gate where the channel is narrow, Hooker cove just past that. We usually anchor near the Bay Tree Lodge, out of the channel. Air show is Sat AND Sun. We'll most likley go on Sunday. This year there is going to be a team flying Russian made jets. See ya! H.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: November 09 2011 at 08:45 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

There are actually quite a few boats bearing the Catalina name in Chris Craft:

Chris Craft Catalina Models

Chris Craft 23 Catalina
Chris Craft 23 Catalina Heritage
Chris Craft 25 Catalina Express
Chris Craft 251 Catalina Express
Chris Craft 253 Catalina Midcabin
Chris Craft 255 Catalina Express
Chris Craft 26 Catalina
Chris Craft 26 Catalina Heritage
Chris Craft 28 Catalina
Chris Craft 28 Catalina Express
Chris Craft 28 Catalina Express (S)
Chris Craft 28 Catalina Express (T)
Chris Craft 280 Catalina Express
Chris Craft 281 Catalina Express
Chris Craft 29 Catalina Heritage
Chris Craft 29 Catalina Suntender
Chris Craft 291 Catalina Bridge
Chris Craft 292 Catalina
Chris Craft 292 Catalina Sunbridge
Chris Craft 292 Catalina Sunbridge Sedan
Chris Craft 293 Catalina Express
Chris Craft 294 Catalina Express
Chris Craft 31 Catalina
Chris Craft 31 Catalina Express
Chris Craft 310 Catalina Express
Chris Craft 322 Catalina Sedan
Chris Craft 33 Catalina
Chris Craft 33 Catalina Sedan
Chris Craft 350 Catalina
Chris Craft 362 Catalina
Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Chris Craft 381 Catalina Cabin
Chris Craft 426 Catalina Double Cabin
Chris Craft 480 Catalina
Chris Craft 480 Catalina Cockpit DC
Chris Craft Catalina
Chris Craft Catalina 29
Chris Craft Catalina 29 Express

Some of them are the newer style fishing boats and some of them are yachts.  For the new club website, probably should have a section devoted to each, but start with the popular ones owned by the captians in this forum which are the 251, 280, 281, 29X, 31, 33, 35 and 38 and of course, the Corinthian 331

I did an iBoats search, they seem to be the most comprehensive site for info on everything boats...

http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Chris_Craft/bp/20br1105

http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Chris_Craft__Catalina/bp/33br110 5s1053

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

salmonpro
"Seaman"

Posted: November 09 2011 at 09:41 | IP Logged Quote salmonpro

Yes it is Snowing in wisconsin!!!! was so not ready for this. let winter begin and start thinking about next boating season.

Back to Top Printable version View salmonpro's Profile Search for other posts by salmonpro

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: November 09 2011 at 10:21 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

back in 2010 I made a list of the members of this forum at that time.  I have not updated it nor do I know which page it is on, but if someone has the time to go though the posts after I posted the list and add the newer members it would be a good data base...

Name Boat Home Port Posts
CaptainKen 1981 Catalina 280 (opened the forum)   1
pop-pop 1978 Catalina 251 Upper Chesapeake 36
Dlavington 1985 Catalina 29 Flybridge Massachusetts 11
Michigan68 1977 Catalina 280 Michigan? 5
BluesBarge Catalina 350 New Jersey 38
suwanneered 1984 Catalina 280 Tennassee 138
Sharkie     10
ericL 1983 Catalina 280 New Jersey 3
Diveryates 1983 Catalina 280 California 320
markweller 1975Catalina 35DC Ohio 10
Capt. Heavy Catalina 251, Corinthian 331 Florida 232
sdunlap20690 1986 Catalina 362 Maryland 5
boatman66 1986 Catalina 294 Florida 436
Nauti Cat 1985 Catalina 280 New York 396
wheelsnkeels 1972 Catalina 31 Indiana 7
Banjoman Connie 500 (but wishes he still had his Catalina 381) Maryland 379
Redbarontu 1986 Catalina 294 North Carolina 59
Dewy 1989 Catalina 292 Sunbridge Virginia 33
floater251 Previously owned by a 1982 251 Catalina North Carolina 247
BillB 1984 Catalina 280 New Jersey 60
mhazelquist 1982 Catalina 281 Wisconsin 183
Capt, T 1981 Catalina 280   3
Gazdik 1978 Catalina 280 Ohio 7
sthompsonsc 1973 Catalina 251 South Carolina 4
peclarkjr 1980 Catalina 251 North Carolina 10
Bill B 294 1986 Catalina 294 Maryland 4
spngoo 1989 Catalina 427 Illinois 1
CaptnPops 1985 Catalina 280 Idaho 20
PHILIPD 1986 Catalina 350   3
out-doors-man 1980 Catalina 281 Massachusetts 1
Ray 251 1974 Catalina 251 New York 37
Berg 1983 Catalina 251 New York 46
Miss B Haven 1985 Catalina 381 Virginia 2
Ljone Catalina 251   1
blottom 1979 Catalina 33 Flybridge   10
scavenger 1982 Catalina 281 Ohio 5
oshawabob Catalina 381 Ontario (that's right, Canada!) 16
smile n wave 1978 Catalina 280 Wisconsin 44
CCRider 1979 Catalina 280 California 13
johnbinok 1986 Catalina 253   1
frankieland692 1986 Catalina 253   6

The list is in order of the member's first post and includes the number of posts they had at that time.   Quite a few need to be added, and many of the ones above may be watching but haven't posted in a long time. 

Edited by Nauti Cat on November 09 2011 at 10:23

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

RickP
"Seaman"

Posted: November 09 2011 at 12:54 | IP Logged Quote RickP

I don't want to make it to big, to many topics or models as it may take a while to build up members and I can branch off with demand. It is live, the graphics are not done or installed. Take a look at the tentative topics, see what you think is useful or should be changed,let me know your suggestions. Thanks for everyone's input. I'm at work until 5pm or so, won't be on besides this for the rest of the work day.

www.chriscraftcatalinaclub.com  is the site,  my e-mail is rpaulick@earthlink.net for ideas, suggestions, pics, etc. It's a work in progress, but we'll get it there.

LONEWOLF62
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 09 2011 at 15:11 | IP Logged Quote LONEWOLF62

Hello ALL :      Well I think the web site is a great Idea and
I am IN !!!!!   Went to a upolster. sat. and he will build me new
seats for the helm $325.00 each using my nautolux vinyl.
3/4 marine plywood (painted on both sides) and all new foam
and will clean up my hardware to shine like new. He should
me other seats that he just finished, they looked GREAT.

Lonewolf

Back to Top Printable version View LONEWOLF62's Profile Search for other posts by LONEWOLF62

venny
"Seaman"

Posted: November 09 2011 at 18:14 | IP Logged Quote venny

boats on the hard for winter

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: November 09 2011 at 18:41 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Capt Steve ,We will be out sunday of course we will have food, would you like to meet up ? also what time  are you heading out ????.

Captin Mike a nice little ride for the "SeaGar Louge " on Sunday for the air show????? Would be nice to meet up. I know you have a clean bottom now . Also you have guests coming in might be  a nice thing to show them. Let me know give me a call.

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: November 09 2011 at 18:45 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Tom my feelings are hurt I was not on the list . Just kidding  great job I remember when you did that . I cant believe I have been on this site for almost 5 years . Wow great bunch of guys thanks to each and everyone of you for all your help .

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: November 09 2011 at 21:47 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Hey Rick I also like the idea of when someone makes a post I get an email right to my phone. Thats nice to keep people more intune with the site. I look forward to this .Best of luck let me know if I can help .

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: November 09 2011 at 23:50 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Gang. Capt. Rick, your website is now in my favorites column. Joined today.

Salmonpro, how can you stand it??? I never want to see snow again and the only ice I want to see is in my frozen margarita!

Lone Wolf, sounds good. What color?? Venny, it's a long way till spring in Mass. About what time of year will you splash??

JimHH, will leave the dock about 12:00 or so. Hell gate not a great place to raft up, too many boat wakes. Hooker cove will be stacked up with boats rafting for the weekend, but you can hear them complain on the vhf to all the inconsiderate boats throwing them a wake. I'm hoping to bring a couple of friends along. Other than the wind, weather lookin' great. I need to catch a fish soon.

Nite, all, H.

MRE253
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 10 2011 at 08:18 | IP Logged Quote MRE253

Hello All   I've had alot of fun reading the stories and helpful hints on our site (HAPPY HOUR III  Love the gauges for my cat 253 I bought Faria white face also have not installed as of yet but they look great!!!   Kepp up the good work all 

Back to Top Printable version View MRE253's Profile Search for other posts by MRE253

RickP
"Seaman"

Posted: November 10 2011 at 08:22 | IP Logged Quote RickP

Capt. Heavy...the frozen maragarita sounds like a great idea! Looked out the window this morning, I'd say about a 1" or 2" inches of ice/slush/mess on the lawn. I'm off on Monday, thinking about pulling the teak rails and panels off in the morning and bringing them home for refinish. Then it's off to the Monday night Packer game, going to start tailgating about noon. Hopefully my beer doesn't freeze!

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: November 10 2011 at 09:44 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

RickP, sounds like fun. Have a cold one for me. Go Packers!

LONEWOLF62
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 10 2011 at 10:51 | IP Logged Quote LONEWOLF62

Hello ALL :   Well I just got set up on the new club web site,
and it is GREAT !!!!!!!    IT seems to be working great and
hope we all will be active on it ASAP!   I will still be checking
this site for now.      See you Their!!

Lonewolf &nbs p; 

Back to Top Printable version View LONEWOLF62's Profile Search for other posts by LONEWOLF62

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 10 2011 at 13:49 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Quote: Capt. Heavy
RickP, sounds like fun. Have a cold one for
me. Go Packers!

Have a cold one? He's going to a Packers game. He IS a cold one!

Lol

www.thehard6.com

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 10 2011 at 19:12 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Hi All,

My "Catalina" badging on the side of my hull has lost her silver over the years. I figured while she is out of the water having new vynil put on I would try to repaint the silver part of the badge that is raised. 

I bought a foam roller that is designed for kitchen use and some RustOleum "aluminum" color oil based enamel paint. My thinking is that I can go over the top with a light coat of the paint and the fact that it is a foam roller will keep the paint off the non-raised areas of the badge. 

Krylon makes a "plastic" paint designed specifically for the material, but its only available in a spray. Since I don't want to remove them from the hull, and I don't think I can mask the background, spray paint isn't really an option. 

The guys at Auto Zone tried to sell me a "chrome paint". It was $30 / quart - pass.

It was also suggested that model paint would be a good choice, but also very pricey and I think I would have had to buy a dozen of those little bottles to get the job done. 

Has anyone else done this? What kind of paint / technique did you use? Were you happy with the results?

I'll take my camera with me tomorrow to document it and we'll see how I make out. 

Jim

www.thehard6.com

goodsign
"Seaman"

Posted: November 10 2011 at 20:39 | IP Logged Quote goodsign

Hello All,

Jim, our family has been in the sign business since 1914. I wish I had a dollar for every square foot or each letter that I've painted during the last thirty two years.

If you've decided to paint this emblem, IMO, "ONE SHOT" lettering enamel would be the best paint to use, since it has a ropey consistancy, is resistant to running, covers easily, and flows (no brush strokes) excellently. As a matter of fact, if you are really steady and really patient & have a #3 lettering quille brush, you may be able to do this by hand.

However, if you try to use a roller, I recommend the white foam "Whizz" rollers, which are high-density foam & are available at Lowes in 4" & 6" sizes. To use these rollers & One Shot paint, load & SATURATE uniformly with the silver paint and then apply the paint to the top raised edges using very little pressure.

Your local sign supply business or Quille Hair & Ferrule in Columbus, SC 1-800-421-7961 will have this paint (a pint will do) & also grey lettering brushes. I think they take credit cards.

It's also possible that chrome mylar could be cut & applied. A computer could duplicate the lettering font & could also cut the strips for the raised edges. When applied, this would look very chrome-like. However, this method would require a pro equipped with high tech equipment & the expertise to use it. Therefore, if chrome mylar appeals to you, you may want to check your area for some sign pros.

We do this type of stuff all the time. Unfortunately, we're 1,000 miles away. Hope this helps...Good luck!

Safe Boating All, John

1964 C.C. Sea Skiff 28' (wood)Central Pa.
Back to Top Printable version View goodsign's Profile Search for other posts by goodsign

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 10 2011 at 20:54 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Goodsign,

I should have posted this before, don't know why I just thought of it!

The word "Catalina" and the frame edges are raised, the rest is not.

I had the same thought as to the roller and the one I bought is exactly like you described.

Any idea where I could get that paint in Jacksonville? The One-Shot webpage doesn't list a vendor in Jax (of course).

By the way, where in Central PA? I grew up near Gettysburg.

Thanks for the advice!

Jim

Edited by JimInFla on November 10 2011 at 21:14

www.thehard6.com

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: November 10 2011 at 22:01 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

hello all , Going to be a great weekend down here in south florida . I do have to work on Saturday I need the $ to pay for the work HH III is getting done this week. I am having the wood varnished so lets see how that comes out ???? also waxed

. I am going to take her out Sunday to watch the air show . Cant wait to run her.  Capt Steve I might leave the dock early to run her around. I dock her in wilaby creek , so when I pull out  I would go left to watch the air show  (left is Roosevelt Bridge 2nd bridge  and right is Manatee Pocket / sands spirit park

I signed on to the new web site as well .

Good Night all.

Capt Mark you out there hope all is well with you .

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 11 2011 at 08:18 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

So my bilge blower wasn't working when I got my Cat. When it did work, it blew the dash fuse. Actually the fuse got so hot that it would frequently melt the glass in it!

My buddy came over and we found out that it was wired directly to ground for some unknown reason inside the dashboard. Odd.

So we decided the easiest thing to do was run a new home run to the blower and call it a day. I already had the hatch open on the stbd side and remembered a post I had read about the easy way to access the blower was to pull the cubby below the seat. After it was all wired up, it occurred to me that there might be another blower on the port side. So before I pull the port cubby I thought I would ask the group. 

Does anyone else's boat have dual blowers?

Thanks all!

Jim

www.thehard6.com

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: November 11 2011 at 08:38 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

MY 294 HAS DUAL BLOWERS ONE ON EACH SIDE--I AM OFF TO THE SWAMP FOR THE RACES I MAY HAVE SOME VIDEO TO POST LATER-EAST COASTERS (FLA) LOOKS LIKE A GREAT WEEKEND TO WATCH AN AIRSHOW!!

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: November 11 2011 at 10:04 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

Hi Jim and all,

I'm chillin' reading the posts when I can.  I have a plate full that I'm sorting out at the present time.  Hopefully I'll be able to provide some input in the near future.

Lake Superior
Wisconsin
http://www.superiordaycruises.com
Back to Top Printable version View Captain Mark's Profile Search for other posts by Captain Mark

goodsign
"Seaman"

Posted: November 11 2011 at 10:22 | IP Logged Quote goodsign

Hello All,

Jim, I've been to Gettysburg numerous times, over the big mountains near Shade Gap, & it's a very picturesque area & nice town. I live between Altoona and State College & boat on Raystown Lake.

We've painted a number of these types of emblems, mostly on restored antique trucks, tractors, & boats. It's very difficult to do because even though the edges seem sharp, the paint will bleed around & onto the black background. Therefore, the firmer the roller & the more saturated with paint, the less pressure is needed (& less bleed).

As for the possibility of cutting and applying mylar or vinyl, you may be able to make a "rubbing" using paper taped tightly over the emblem and edge then rub with the side of a crayon or graphite. Then take this image to a local signshop & see if they can duplicate the font & then cut the lettering using chrome mylar or metallic silver & you stick them on?

If I were to paint it, I think I might skip the roller and use a #3 or #4 grey quille & some One Shot lettering paint (metallic silver #193) & paint it by hand. This technique would lessen the bleed and make a cleaner edge. However, as mentioned, hand brushing takes a steady hand & patience. Some 3M fine line tape may also help mask the outside edges. Although I don't know of any sign suppliers in Jacksonville, if you decide to paint, Quille Hair & Ferrule in Columbia, SC has all the materials & their service is fast. A grey lettering brush will cost about $12.00 & if cleaned (with mineral spirits then baby oiled), will last for years.

Finally, as mentioned before, lettering paint applied by brush or roller is very forgiving. It is very finely ground (glossy) & therefore covers brushstrokes very well. However, applying metallic colors smoothly, requires more speed & control. Again, good luck.

Safe Boating All, John

1964 C.C. Sea Skiff 28' (wood)Central Pa.
Back to Top Printable version View goodsign's Profile Search for other posts by goodsign

]
] ]
191 Pages « 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version