View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages « 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: November 01 2011 at 15:24 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

OK PIC#1MY YOP HALF OF THE LADDER AND PLATFORM WHICH IS GOING AU NATURAL JUST LIKE THE ANCHOR PULPIT #2 IS CLOSEUP FO LADDER MOUNTS ON PLATFORM THE NEXT TWO ARE OF MY SIDE LADDER AND IT'S MOUNTS THE LADDER FOLDS UP FOR UNDERWAY OPS

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: November 01 2011 at 15:25 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

#1 LADDER

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: November 01 2011 at 15:26 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

COLSE UP PLATFORM

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: November 01 2011 at 15:27 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

SIDE LADDER

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: November 01 2011 at 15:28 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

MOUNTS

Dewy
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 01 2011 at 15:53 | IP Logged Quote Dewy

Restin well,ahhh Cabin fever

Jiminfla, I like the polish job they did,looks great.Is that a canvas liner over your swim platform? Never seen that,could save alot of weathering issues,but does it cause heavy mildew so close to the wateline?

Back to Top Printable version View Dewy's Profile Search for other posts by Dewy

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 01 2011 at 17:14 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Brad... They just cleaned it and buffed it. It doesn't take much sanding to wear it away all togther. I know, I did it making some repairs. At some point, I may re-do the non skid. It's not so much non-skid any longer. One of the guys in my marina has a Tiara. His non skid is in a slightly contrasting color and a diamond pattern. Looks amazing! They actually wet sanded with 1500 and then compounded, and then waxed an buffed to get it to look like that. I would have never done as well.

Dewy... Yes, it is canvas. It hasn't molded so far, but the previous owner told me that water moccassins like to hide up under there. Not sure if he was kidding or not.... When I took it off (probably for the first time in 5 years) the teak underneath was in pretty good shape except for the impact damage. If you go back a page or two you can see it. I have to think it was the cover that kept it in the shape that it was.

Boatman... You can bring that Teak back. Hit it with some 80 grit, then go to 220, maybe even 440 depending on the finish you want. I used a finishing sander (the one with the triangular head) to get in the corners and cracks. Worked great in the tight spots and made the job easy.

Lonewolf... I love the seat! I wish I could do that kind of work, but that's going to get outsourced since I don't have the skills.

Jim

www.thehard6.com
Back to Top Printable version View JimInFla's Profile Search for other posts by JimInFla

RickP
"Seaman"

Posted: November 01 2011 at 19:55 | IP Logged Quote RickP

Brad...

Don't by a buffer/polisher. I usually go to Menominee once or so a month as we shop at Mighty Pet. They have a better selection for bigger dogs than Petco or Petsmart so we take the drive, plus I buy a few things from Nestegg Marine on occasion. I just bought this Makita polisher/buffer a few weeks ago. For the few times a year it'll ever get used, your welcome to it.

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: November 01 2011 at 20:58 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Capn's:    Was reading a U.S. Navy magazine recently, and come across this photo.   WOW!!! 

Fly Bridge----Dan

Edited by Fly Bridge on November 01 2011 at 20:59

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: November 02 2011 at 10:37 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

OK THE SWIM PLATFORM ON MY BOAT CAN ONLY COME OFF WHEN I AM ON THE HARD-SO IT WILL HAVE TO WEAR OFF ON ITS OWN ACCORD-AS I CAN'T AFFORD THE PULL--OR THE HARD TIME--I POSTED TO GIVE YOU GUYS AN IDEA OF HOW MY LADDER IS MOUNTED--FAR BACK INTO THE PLATFORM-THERE IS ANOTHER PART THAT HANGS OVER INTO THE WATER,WHICH A FAT FRIEND OF MINE STEPPED ON AND BENT TO A 90 DEGREE ANGLE--SO THE QUICK ANSWER WAS TO GET THE SIDE MOUNT LADDER(WEST MARINE) AND IT IS A REALLY STRONG AND VERY SECURE WAY TO BOARD FROM THE WATER-THE STEPS GO WAY DOWN INTO THE WATER AND MAKE IT REALLY EASY TO GET A FOOTHOLD TO BOARD--HOPE THIS HELPS THE GUYS THAT ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THEIR LADDERS  

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: November 02 2011 at 10:43 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

LONEWOLF--GO WITH THE 3/4 INCH MARINE PLYWOOD--AND BE SURE AND PUT A COUPLE OF 3/4 VENT HOLES IN THE WOOD --FOR VENTING AIR WHEN YOU SIT AND FOR ANY MOISTURE THAT MAY GET IN THERE MINE WHERE DONE PROFESSIONALLY BY A BOAT SEAT CO. AND THEY PUT THOSE HOLES IN--FOR THAT PURPOSE

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: November 02 2011 at 10:44 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

I kinda like the look of no swim platform and since they are all inboards, you can get nice and close to the dock/bulkhead for boarding.  And with Boatman's removable side-boarding ladder (can probably use on the stern too if no swim platform, just need the extra hardware pieces) provides a easy way to reboard.  Of course the swim platform makes for a nice close-to-water deck but pros/cons with each.

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

salmonpro
"Seaman"

Posted: November 02 2011 at 15:08 | IP Logged Quote salmonpro

RickP,

that seat looks amazing.

Back to Top Printable version View salmonpro's Profile Search for other posts by salmonpro

smile n wave
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 02 2011 at 15:51 | IP Logged Quote smile n wave

RickP, thanks for the offer of use of the buffer.  May take you up on it but was thinking of putting this on Santa's list as have a deck baot up norht would use it on as well.  What did you decide - rebuild or repower?

JiminFla, did they actually wax the nonskid?  I clean mine wiht brush and softscrub but would like a way to protect it better so does not get so dirty and easier to clean.

FlyB, love the pic!

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 02 2011 at 15:52 | IP Logged Quote Berg

hey guys, in reference to the platform, mine is removable with 6 little pins. Not always the best thing but it is actually very sturdy. I think it wouldn't be too hard to turn a conventional platform into a removable one. I'll have to remember to snap sone pictures and send it to you guys over the weekend before it gets shrink wrapped. 

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY
Back to Top Printable version View Berg's Profile Search for other posts by Berg

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 02 2011 at 15:58 | IP Logged Quote Berg

I believe the beam on my 251 is 9'8" if I remember correctly. I keep all that information inside the boat with the registration just in case I ever need it. I found most of the info doing google searches and just cut and paste. It is easier now than ever for us to find out info on these boats. On the topic of rebuilding seats, I wonder how strong/difficult it would be to use a material like starboard lumber or something similar. I know they use molded plastic in the new back-to-back seats for a while now. 

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY
Back to Top Printable version View Berg's Profile Search for other posts by Berg

RickP
"Seaman"

Posted: November 02 2011 at 17:44 | IP Logged Quote RickP

Quote: smile n wave

RickP, thanks for the offer of use of the buffer.  May take you up on it but was thinking of putting this on Santa's list as have a deck baot up norht would use it on as well.  What did you decide - rebuild or repower?

JiminFla, did they actually wax the nonskid?  I clean mine wiht brush and softscrub but would like a way to protect it better so does not get so dirty and easier to clean.

FlyB, love the pic!

I probably really only need to replace the Starboard engine, but...I've decided to replace both with 350's. It might sound crazy, but since I'm pulling one and going through the effort, I decided it's not that much harder to pull two, besides. From what I can tell, the Port side is also original, so at nearly 30 years old, it's not a matter of if, it's when it'll need tlc.

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: November 02 2011 at 20:46 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Good Evening All , Well I picked up the Happy Hour III with her brand new 350 strb motor and her perfect port 350 . I can not even begin to tell you how amazing she ran home smooth quiet  . It  was everything I expected  and much much more . I cant wait to took her out again this weekend. Better than when I did both motors over . Perfect ! I am so happy! I did spend a lot more than I wanted too , but it is a boat .Everything is new on that side . He checked the port motor and that checked out perfect . I am set for a few years now I hope.

Tom , I so agree with the no swim platform , how we swim a lot in Florida so I do like having it . I like the no having it look . How it works well for us.

JimFla _ Boat Looks amazing - having mine done next week cant wait.

Rick - I promise that first ride with the 350's is better than the first ride you took with the boat when you got it. Because it really does feel like a new boat. Best of luck to you. Tell Santa 2 350's please .

Found a great new toilet at the boat show . I ordered it . Comes out in Jan of 2012. I will get the info you guys will love it .

Going to clean up the HHIII on Saturday. She sat with her back cover off for 4 weeks amazing how the tweak rails  now look like it was 4 years . Amazing how the back cover helps protect everything . Will Post Pictures

Back to Top Printable version View Happy Hour III's Profile Search for other posts by Happy Hour III

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: November 02 2011 at 20:52 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Tom I really dont know what happenend to the Words "ever " in How ever in my post ??? I guess I typed to fast sorry guys .

I meant how ever we do like to use our platform. I do like the look with out one how ever.

Back to Top Printable version View Happy Hour III's Profile Search for other posts by Happy Hour III

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 02 2011 at 20:54 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Quote: smile n wave

RickP, thanks for the offer of use of the
buffer. May take you up on it but was thinking of putting this on
Santa's list as have a deck baot up norht would use it on as well.
What did you decide - rebuild or repower?

JiminFla, did they actually wax the nonskid? I clean mine wiht
brush and softscrub but would like a way to protect it better so
does not get so dirty and easier to clean.

FlyB, love the pic!

You know I'm not sure. I assumed they did, but I wasn't there to
watch.

Jim

www.thehard6.com
Back to Top Printable version View JimInFla's Profile Search for other posts by JimInFla

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: November 02 2011 at 21:35 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Well Boys I saw the first pictures today of my unborn child we had our first ultrasound today. Don't know what it is yet . But he or she will love boats and be out on the Chris Craft asap.

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: November 02 2011 at 21:46 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

JIMFLA , I get post via phone too , so the screen is not to big. I just looked at your pictures  on my laptop , OMG !!!! She looks amazing ! Best of luck with her. What did they do ???? . I am getting detailed next I hope for the same results. enjoy !!!!!!

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: November 02 2011 at 23:47 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Gang. Great posts by all!. Jim in Fl. nice shine!! looks brand new.

JimHH. Congrats!! on everything. Best of luck to you and Sunshine and glad HH3 is back together. all we need is some good weather.

Boatman, I know the rain is killin' you also. Bossman wants to go fishin', but wind and rain are keepin' us tied to the dock. Stuart Air Show comming soon, right over the St. Lucie River. Always a good time. JimHH, what are you and Sunshine doing that weekend??

Planning on fishing in the Stuart Sailfish Club Tournament on Saturday with friends, but I hope wind goes away.

Mike, hope all is well up in Ft. P.  Nite, all, Capt. H.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: November 03 2011 at 08:53 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Congratulations Jim!!!  That is great news, all the best to you and your family!

Glad you got HH3 back and she is running better than ever.

We were going to head down to FL for Thanksgiving from the Saturday before but postponed the trip till Easter as my oldest will miss too much school, specifically his AP classes.  The plan was to meet up with my parents and my brother and his family at South Seas on Captiva for a few days then back to my parents house for Thanksgiving.  Tried to switch the airfare to Christmas or the February break but it was outrageous $$$...so Easter it is.  Instead of Captiva, we will be renting a house in Cape Coral, a nice waterfront, newer pool home, the kids will love it.  We also have a trip planned for July where we will drive down I95 and hit a few sites along the way.

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 03 2011 at 10:27 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

So I know everyone likes pictures, how do you all feel about video?

Before and after video

http://youtu.be/bh5caXSvx6g

Jim

www.thehard6.com

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: November 03 2011 at 11:05 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

yes Jim...we love videos!

she looks GREAT!  Fiberglass and gelcoat up until the mid 80's was much thicker than the newer stuff.  These Cats were built using the "old" methods where too much weight was less of a concern...but for me was always a plus because she handled rough water much better than similar sized newer boats.

Some of those forklifts are rated for 12,000 + lbs so 8k lb Cats are no issue.  The boat yard always hauled mine that way, never an issue.

"MY WAY"

smile n wave
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 03 2011 at 12:12 | IP Logged Quote smile n wave

H3, congrats!  Will it now be H4 ??????

JiminFla, I love seeing the boats out of the water as much as in.  We rack and the forklift can pickup to 36' footers.

RickP, who doing the replacments?  Are the motors out yet?

Capt H when you get a chnace please post your buff recipe with pads and polish you reccomend.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: November 03 2011 at 15:07 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

JIM IN FLA GREAT VIDEOWHAT A SHINE!!IF I HAD A TRAILER I WOULD BRING MINE UP THERE!!

RickP
"Seaman"

Posted: November 03 2011 at 16:48 | IP Logged Quote RickP

Congrads Happy hour....kids are the best! I'm getting old though as my only daughter will be turning 29 on the 8th! She still loves boating though!

Green Bay area guys..on November 16th the Green Bay Yachting Club is having a Wednesday night smoker. This is a guys night, was meant for cigar smoking, but now you have to smoke outside of course. They'll be serving Prime Rib so if anyone is interested, let me know. I'm a member there and will get our little group signed up.

Brad...I'm leaning toward Bay Speed of Green Bay building them, then doing the removal/install myself and I've already line up 2 350 cores of the same year (2 piece rear main) in case I go this route. I've had them build engines for me in the past for a Jeep used for mud drags and a Blazer I once owned with good luck. Otherwhise I was looking at Rapido Marine in Florida.

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 03 2011 at 17:19 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Boatman,

Where are you? He works all over North Florida.

Jim

www.thehard6.com

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 03 2011 at 17:23 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Smile 'n Wave,

I got to tell you, seeing that much weight, 25 feet off the ground, was pretty scary though!

Jim

www.thehard6.com

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: November 03 2011 at 20:11 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Guys thank you so much for the great wishes . Tom I know you know this this you and your family are welcome to use the Happy Hour III if you come to stuart Florida. You can captin it anytime. We did the 95 trip last summer and the summer before that is a long trip..... 

Jimfla - Great video very impressive . do they travel to the treasure coast of Florida ???? 

Smile Great boat picture .

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: November 03 2011 at 23:17 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hello, All. Jim, nice video, she looks great. I brought Mystic Diver to Florida by truck from Md. (33 ft. corinthian flybridge 13000 lb EMPTY) they off loaded it with a forklift. I could not watch, turned my back till it was over, fork lift was lifting near capacity. all went ok.

Smile, this is what I use and like. First off, buffer, 1500-2000 rpm or there about. Chraftsman, Millwalkee,  others ok. Orbital buffers a waste of time for old finish. 3M superbuff pad. double sided, 7" the best, just ask a pro. worth every $$$. Will last longer than your boat. I like 3M products. If finish is REALLY bad, 3M super duty compound. Carefull, it's very aggressive, will burn thru gelcoat. 3M Imperial fast cut. GREAT Stuff. safer than superduty. Apply and buff till gone. No residue. follow with wax. Great shine. If gelcoat slightly oxidized, 3M restorer and wax. All in one product. Apply, buff till it dissapears, coumpound and wax in one step. If gelcoat is in good shape and shines, I use Maguires cleaner wax by hand. This is more of a maintenance wax than anything else. If gelcoat is really bad, wet sanding, compounding and waxing is called for. My arm hurts just thinking about that. Clean supperbuff pad often.  Nite, All, H.

salmonpro
"Seaman"

Posted: November 04 2011 at 07:37 | IP Logged Quote salmonpro

hello all!

So not sure if you all have the aluminum rub rail around your chrissy's but if so does anyone know where to locate any of this if I were to want to replace it. mine is in absolutly horrible shape. I am not even sure that I could get it back to good with a sanding polishing. there are alot of dings and deep gouges from docks and what not.

thanks

Sean

Back to Top Printable version View salmonpro's Profile Search for other posts by salmonpro

RickP
"Seaman"

Posted: November 04 2011 at 11:35 | IP Logged Quote RickP

Sean, Captain Mark restored his, page 62 of this thread shows some pics and a few threads below it, describes what he did. It may or not be what your looking for, but..here it is. Thanks Mark for posting this information and much more, very valuable info!!!

The screws that hold the deck to the hull are in addition to the screws for the rub rail.  Both sets of screws were loose on the Rob Roy.  The rub rail screws were constantly backing out and when I took the rails off, the deck screws were 2-3 turns loose all the way around the boat. 

When I put the rail on(soon I hope)I'll use a bedding compound such as Rule marine sealant

To shine the rails up I started with 50 grit sand paper and worked up to 220 then used 0000 steel wool with Johnson's rubbing compound.  Then I took my Milwaukee buffing wheel with a foam pad and wheeled them out using Johnson's polishing compound.  I screwed the rails to the saw horses to hold them in place.

I have put new paint on the color band and waiting for weather to turn nice to paint the pine stripes.  Photos to come.

link to the thread and his pics....

http://www.boatus.com/boatgroups/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8 28&PN=1&TPN=62

smile n wave
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 04 2011 at 14:45 | IP Logged Quote smile n wave

Capt H, thanks for the tips on the buffer.  Gelcoat on smile in good shape and spring waxing gets her shining.  First year we had her we did a complete hand rub wiht meguiars marine/rv oxidation remover liquid. I thought it was a very good product.  follwed that with wax and the orbital buffer.  Think wil try the variable speed buffer though and the 3M pad/products to try and bring the shine up even more.  What do you do on the nonskid areas?

RickP - your recall of Capt marks rub rails brings up soemthing I thought about today. We are now 171 pages into tihs forum and was easy to find stuff when was 30-60 pages.  There is wealth of knowledge on the 171 pages and have tackled all kinds of subjects.  Was thinking would be good to start at page 1 and make some sort of a directory or spreadsheet listing the problem/maintenance item then the corresponding ideas/fix/remedy and the page numbers that go with both.  That way when someone had a question on say window replacement, could look at the sheet and go right to the corresponding pages.  Anyone up to the task???

RickP
"Seaman"

Posted: November 04 2011 at 19:25 | IP Logged Quote RickP

I've already bought licensing for Vbulletin and will be building a Catalina Specific forum including tech, general chat, fishing/adventure, etc. Licensing was almost $300.00 and I've hired an artist to get some of the graphics, fonts down. I'm into the project at $600.00 so far and should be done within the month or so. Hopefully that doesn't get me kicked off of here, but a forum that allows us to search, store, retrieve, kind of a home/club feel so to speak would be great for Catalina owners. Let me know your thoughts and what you'd like to see, I'll make it happen. Rick

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: November 04 2011 at 20:26 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

My org Rub rail was so bad. I had a new black rubber on install. Really updated the boat in a good way. Also got a sick deal we installed it for $250.00 . 3 times less than normal

Here is Black rubrail and stock. Also The Sea Gar Louge and Happy Hour III side by Side

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: November 04 2011 at 20:37 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Here is cool Picture of The Seagar Louge and The Happy Hour III not sure if I posted this? This was from our last Catalina Raft up weekend

RickP
"Seaman"

Posted: November 04 2011 at 22:27 | IP Logged Quote RickP

My former boss and now good friend bought a Maxum SCR4100 brand new in 1996. Along with the boat, he bought a 10' Quicksilver Inflatable Dinghy. I've had one eye open for a dinghy and outboard. This thing has never been out of the box! So...what do you think? Would it be any good? I'm going to see if he'll let me open the box and try inflating it. 

]
] ]
191 Pages « 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version