View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
poppop
"Seaman"

Posted: July 10 2008 at 12:43 | IP Logged Quote poppop

boatman

Sorry for the delay in replying to your question. At the end of last season I noticed that the port side manifold was hotter than the starboard so I took the old girl home for the winter. This spring I took off the port Exhaust Riser and manifold. The water jackets were plug shut with scale, so I figure the money I would be spending for the slip this year I would use to fix the boat this season. So that is where I am at this summer.

Edited by poppop on July 10 2008 at 12:44
Back to Top Printable version View poppop's Profile Search for other posts by poppop

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: July 10 2008 at 13:00 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, PopPop, sorry to hear that. It's sad to say, but I'm verry experienced in this repair, having replaced mine on bothe engines at least 4 times, maybe 5 over the last 19 years. Is your engine fresh or raw water cooled? Chris Craft or Mercruiser engine? Capt. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: July 10 2008 at 20:03 | IP Logged Quote floater251

ok ok ok, ive been thinking about this side exit exhaust thing. my brain hurts. i dont think turning the exhaust out to the side is going to work. looking at a side exit exhaust on a newer boat, the water down the side runs across the exhaust port which pulls the exhaust out into the wake. i would have to stick the pipe out past the side of the hull at a 45 deg angle or less into the water to produce the vacuum to suck the exhaust into the the wake and out of the "vortex". the pipe would have a lot of pressure against it and would probibly cause some drag, something a catalina needs no more of, soooooooo, now im looking for a "side" thru hull exhaust assembly. would have some big holes to patch in the transom, but the results would be verrrry rewarding. i think! now, i have twin exhaust without any mufflers, so i would tee them into one into a muffler then out the side. what a pain.  input? anyone?

floater

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 10 2008 at 23:22 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hi Floater:
Well the exhaust thing is a problem for sure!Ha Always something with all boats! My 280 came from the factory with 1 exhaust outlet which is on the starboard side of the transom. It has a collector pipe which is 4 inches and  the port side comes down makes a 90 and then picks up the starboard side and then goes  to the muffler and then out.
I am not sure but fell that if you tried to go from the twin 3 inch outlets with no mufflers you will not being doing the right thing unless you go up to a 4 inch and that will be costly. Maybe Capt Heavy has information about that. You might turn the out the side but you will have to build a box for the exhaust pipe to go into to get outside or  those transom stainless outlets which you now have. How bad is the fumes? I hope I don't have a problem with that but guess I will ,See Ya,Bill
Back to Top Printable version View suwanneered's Profile Search for other posts by suwanneered

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: July 11 2008 at 08:44 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Floater. Just adding mufflers may help by mixing water with the exhaust gases. Also, installing a 45 degree exaust port would also help. I don't recall having this problem with my 251 cat. I also owned a 25 foot trojan express, same style boat as a cat. It had a single exhaust port with a 45 degree angle. Never had any exhaust issues on that boat either. Re-routing the exhaust out of the side would be costly and time consuming. Google CENTEK INDUSTRIES. Click on centek industries products, then click on wet exhaust on the left side of the page. Check out their  new mufflers design for underwater exhaust. This would solve your problem, but again most likely costly and time consuming. But if you're going to keep your cat a long time, may be worth it. Capt. Heavy-TGIF

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: July 11 2008 at 09:28 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

PopPOP sorry to hear about the exhaust problem,glad you were able to pull her and work on your own time,that is probably the biggest saving.I consider the wet exhaust thing (which is unchanged since inboards came about)to be the biggest single PAIN IN THE A that ever faced a boater.BUT thats the way it goes,I still wouldn't trade my chris,they are too much fun..NOW on to the subject at hand It was mentioned earlier by one of the guys to extend the pipe out past the swim platform,this may be the best idea yet as well as the cheapest.Just think,the exhuast would be further away from the boat negating the station wagon effect.On the dual exhuasts your boat would look like a custom hot rod with straight pipes-- of course you would have to anchor them so when turning they wouldn't twist off.but it would put the fumes further back away from the transom.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: July 11 2008 at 15:30 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Ye Haw! It's beer thirty on friday afternoon. Hope everyone can enjoy the weekend on the water. As for myself, I'm going to do some fishing while I can still afford it. Y'all have fun. Tight lines, cold beer and hot bikinis! Capt. Heavy

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 11 2008 at 16:39 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hi Capt Heavy:
I hope all you guys have a great weekend! Maybe you will catch a  12 to 15lb Grouper?Have to run a long ways for that these hot days I guess.I really like October,Nov and December as tehy are in closer during that time of the year due to water temps.Have a good trip!! Bill
Back to Top Printable version View suwanneered's Profile Search for other posts by suwanneered

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: July 14 2008 at 07:55 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, gang. It sure is Monday. As for the weekend fishing report, rain,rain and more rain. Started raing saturday the minute I steped on board. fueled up in the rain. Couldn't do any work outside so I did a little cleaning in the cabin, then entered some new waypoints for some new reefs in my gps. Sunday looked ok when we left the house, but when we left the dock the wind had shifted direction and started blowing 15-20. Whent out anyway to a near short reef. trolled around it for an hour, got a hit from something really big, turned around just in time to see a big splash then he was gone. Best guess would be a kingfish. Started to calm down, decided to drift over some reefs. About that time a storm blew up, so we ran north and skirted the edge of it. Then another storm blew up right behind it. I give up. Did a slow cruise back to the dock, tied her up flushed the engines and went home to make frozen margaritas and soak in the pool. Good news is mystic diver ran perfect. Capt Heavy

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 14 2008 at 09:30 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hey Capt Heavy: Well some days are like that!Ha Not every trip a fantactic one however you made it with out any problems.We need a good rain very bad as it just came a few sprinkles here this weekend.Have a good week and glad the boat did great>Bill 

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: July 14 2008 at 16:20 | IP Logged Quote floater251

No boating here.....went from drought to floods. rain and t-storms every day last week and all weekend. no, im not complaining, we did need the rain. maybe next weekend!

floater.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: July 14 2008 at 18:57 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi everyone, been away for a long weekend at Mom & Dad's in Cape Coral FL boating on their boats (54' Navigator and 18' Whaler) lot's of fun and their fuel !!

Thank you for all the feedback on the exhaust issue, some notes about my CC 280:

Single engine, Mercruiser 5.7l w/ 4barrell carb with no choke installed, maybe there is an issue with the choke butterflies causing a rich mixture...will check it out.

Single exhaust with a fibreglass tube muffler exiting on the starboard side with the flapper.

As I mentioned earlier...if I am heading into the wind at cruising speed with the cabin windows and door open, nothing enters the cockpit or cabin.  Any other direction causes the fumes to enter the cockpit and cabin (slight odor but the real measure is the CO detector).  I have a navy top with pilot house style enclosure and if I drive with it closed up except the center opening on the drop-down canvas there is no CO entering the cockpit near the helm or in the cabin at any speed.

I think in my case I need to check the carb and mixture/choke to start and I look forward to attempts at the ideas presented.  I agree that the easiest/cheapest one is to install an extension pipe from the stern outlet to the edgs of the swim platform...not sure about the asthetics but it may do the trick.

Thanks,

Tom

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 14 2008 at 20:56 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

HI Tom: I order a carb from National Carbs in Jacksonville for my 280.I now had a electric choke so that might be what you need to cut the richness.Your set up is exactly as mine except I now have a 350CID 260HP so I am ready to get it in the water soon as I finish the remodeling..Bill

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: July 14 2008 at 21:47 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Thank you Bill.

My CC has a newer 350cid Mercuriser which was putting out about 280-290hp with "car parts" including an edilbrock performer hi-rise intake and a giant (1250cfm) holley 4bbl carb...she ran nice, around 30mph (GPS) wide open but the parts were not lasting in the salt environment so I replaced them with a stock mercruiser cast iron intake and a 1050 rochester marine carb...now top end is around 27-28mph but it still sounds good with the performance cam and who knows what else.  My motor has an open cooling system hence the salt issues on the inside of the intake (gotta get that flush valve installed like Boatman did...6/13 post).

I may be able to fit an aftermarket choke onto the carb with no issues but I gotta check those butterflies..if they've been closed I am using too much gas with a rich mixture.

Will let you know...

Tom

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: July 15 2008 at 07:56 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

wow Nauti Cat that is one big carb!! my 350's have 750cfm carbs,auto chokes,and they were way too open for starting,so we closed them that's when the soot started showing up so when they were ice cold,I cracked the choked butterflies to stand at approx.1/8 to 1/4 of an inch,now when I turn the key on they go closed and she fires right up and they open to allow air fuel mixture rather than all fuel.seems to be working well the soot has disappeared and idle warm up seems a lot better.just food for thought. Cap H. yeh pouring here too,we should clear out by this weekend,glad you got diver running.. also have a spare 750cfm manual choke carb from jerrys marine that is just sitting around if anyone needs it.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: July 15 2008 at 08:31 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, gang. What kind of performance/fuel milage are the rest of you guys getting with a single engine in a 280? Hey Boatman, been raining every afternoon. (normal for florida in the summer, as you well know) Supposed to dry out this weekend. Mini lobster season comming up, got to start looking for some good lobster holes. Capt. Heavy

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 15 2008 at 10:03 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hi Tom:
I will probably have to get a real mechanic  to check out my 280 after I splash it as I am not a real good one.I did manage to get it in and running mhowever it was a lot of consulting of the manuals.HaNever did a motor job before and never worked on inboard that much. I had a diesel in my last boat and it was never trouble so didn't do a lot except
hang some gagets on it.This has been a very long progect and I will be happy to finish. Well better get busy as I am painting the second coat
on the big Blue strip,I have been killing time waiting for the dew to dry off so I can finish tapeing it off. See Ya,Bill
 to

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: July 15 2008 at 10:42 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Re Fuel Milage:

We get about 6-8 Gal./Hr at 2500-2800 Rpm with the single, full fuel and water tanks, two people aboard. 13-16 gal/hr at 3500+.

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: July 15 2008 at 11:16 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Help! I need  suggestions!

Over the years I've gotten used to a lot of hum-buzz from the Rectifier heard the VHF when plugged to shore power. Now I 'm installing a stereo and the buzz/hum 's interfearing with sound quality. I beleive this hum/buzz is coming in from the rectifier as opposed to residual RF. The problem disappears when the rectifier is turned off and we're on battery power. Does anyone have suggestions to eliminate this noise short of replacing the rectifier?   it's big bucks to do that and I'm not sure that would solve the problem anyway.

I'm also testing a Shakspeare AM/FM-VHF splitter with not very good results. The device combines the Motorola type stereo radio and VHF signal cables so they both use the VHF antenna- dynamite on paper. I pull in the stereo part of the signal a bit better.  But AM bands- little better than no antenna at all.  I had to install an extention 12' Antenna cable accessory and I suspect the extra length comprimises reception, so I'm at a loss as to what to try...?

Appreciate any nuggets of wisdom, I'm all out!

Diver  

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: July 15 2008 at 11:49 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Diver. Talked it over with one of our elctonics guys here at Hinckley. He said there is a noise filter that can be installed on the positive wire leading to the radio. You can get one from Radio Shack. Should take care of the problem. Also not a good idea to use an antenna splitter on a vhf antenna. Make sure the coax cable is as short as possible. Never coil it up. And try not to route it near the rectifier. Hope this helps. Capt. Heavy

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 15 2008 at 13:44 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hi Guys:
Thanks for the fuel consumption information as I really don't have a clue as to what my setup will do as I have changed both engine and Tranny.I have a 350   260HP with at Velvet Drive  1.91 to1 tranny which is a 72 series came from behind a 454 Chev
Capt Heavy is correct about trying to use VHF antenna for any other purpose than VHF Radio.

Thanks,Bill

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: July 15 2008 at 21:08 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi Guys,

Just got back from an evening cruise...very nice out on the bay.

Checked my carb info and it had a 1050 and now I think it is either a 750 or 850cfm, I was going by the info from the guy who sold me the boat.  Regarding the CO/exhaust issue, I have absolutely no soot on or near the stern and the exhaust itself seems pretty clean...not dark at all, kind of grey-ish, still need to check the choke linkage.

Thanks for the fuel consumption numbers on the single screw 280.  I have not figured mine out but at 1500 rpm the gauge doesnt move...but after running her at a fast crusie this evening for an hour the needle did drop a bit.

If the radio noise symptoms are similar to issue's I've had in older cars, any of the radio's wiring (power, ground, speakers) comes near any engine related wiring (battery, tach, lights, etc) the noise will rise and drop in tone with the engine speed.  I have to install a new marine stereo in the boat too but it is way down on the list.

Bill, I would love to see some pix of the project when you have the chance, especially the repainting of the stripes.  I believe diveryates posted some photos some pages back in this forum of his handy work and it looks great.

Tom

"MY WAY"

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 15 2008 at 21:55 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hi Tom:
Thanks for the reply!Glad someone can get out on the water!Maybe it won't be to long till I splash.I have learned at great lot of do and don't on this restoration Job for sure.It is so easy to make a mistake and you usually suffer for it either in Money or Labor. I painted the Big Blue stripe on once with the rest all masked off and thought  I had it well covered.The paper I used was not for the brightside paint and in places it went thru the paper on my new gelcoat.UGH what a job getting that off.Usually its small stuff like I gelcoated the top side of the hull and never stirred the catlass well enough and it would never get hard.Well all that had to be removed and re applied all this is taking place outside in the hot sun no shade,etc.Wow! I am about wore down. O'yes my night job is making curtains for the inside. I finished them this weekend and have them installed.They look good all the inside is new now as I redid the seats,v bunks,and all  so its new. I also stole Roy's Idea about a microwave cabinet which I built.It is something like Roy's I have the microwave facing the galley and put the stero in the rest of it facing the dining area.see ya Bill

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: July 16 2008 at 08:37 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

PICTURES WE NEED PICTURES

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: July 16 2008 at 09:27 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Bill, i myself am atempting to make curtains. picked out a nice blut stripe cloth from the local cloth store. cut to size and figured out over the weekend that i need to stay away from a sewing machine (mom's) and stick with the table saw. my mother has the curtains now and is going to try to salvage them!

floater

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 16 2008 at 19:02 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hi Floater: Well I can understand the sewing deal!Ha I had a little edge on that one as I have a good friend who has a trim shop.He mostly does auto seats,headliners,etc along with some furniture upholstery.I help him on occasion and he has shown be a lot of ways to do those things.He has the big commercial machines and mine is a home type that I found at the local dump one day and  brought it home and got it to sew some but still had to get a mechanic to adjust it but it works.I also did some ripping out and redo's on the curtains.HaI told my wife that I had learned a hell of lot on this boat and the next one would be easy.She replied" Shoot me Now".I am boat poor Now! I have 2 and have never used one of them since I restored it.I did test it out and that is it I started to work on the Chris Craft and haven't had time to go to the lake in it.
I plan on keeping the CC on the Tenn River so I can go up and down the river.Due to the price of fuel guess I won't go very far.When I get the boat cleaned out and everything in place I will try to get some photos and post them. My computer skills are limited.Ha I don't know how to post the pictures but when I get them made I will  try to post them.Thanks Bill

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: July 16 2008 at 21:14 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Bill, Not going for a full restore on the floater, dont know if you have read in the past posts, im trying to sell the floater. its not by chioce. i havnt had many bites, the market is flooded with catalinas. so, in the meantime i will keep working on her. my next step is to find a trailer for her. Since it doesnt appear that it will soon be sold, i started a "bucket list" for the floater (things to do to her before my wife kills me) the first, my technicians at the dealership insist they pull the engine, swap the block for a gm crate 290 horse 5.7 ltr ($1100 with employee discount!) then put a larger pitch prop. i want to paint the bilge then replace the window tracks and weatherstrip. some rail repairs and then alot of polishing and cleaning. as for boat outings, short trips, drop anchor and float! heck, what more can i do, im in a lake....no destination, only the other side. im slowly loosing intrest. i think i would be just as happy if the boat was in my side yard. So sorry for the babbling.....hurry with the pictures, well, then again, when i see the pictures, the bucket list will grow! so you better take your time!

thanks! floater

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: July 17 2008 at 08:43 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

hang in there floater we don't really want to lose youthink this way with your mechs at the shop--long block only they only run about 2000.00 and are brand new from the gm plant in mexico all marinized all you have to do is rebolt on your accessories.that's what I did,for two engines on mine,saved a ton of money..there is a guy in dania beach fla that you call and he ships directly to you. for you guys that have trouble posting pix easy way is to go online and get PICASSA it really works well with the boatus site and is really simple to use takes about 2 minutes to post a picture.anyone needing help with that I'll be glad to assist.when I get bummed about my boat,I go out and just sit on or in her and pour a cool one and just chill somehow the old girl talks to me and says "IT'S ALLRIGHT PETER WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS " and somehow we do KEEP THE FAITH!! 

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: July 17 2008 at 11:23 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey Gang. I also like a little chillout time on Mystic Diver. And how lucky I am to be able to keep her right where I work. It takes about 30 seconds from the time that I punch the time clock at 3:30 to the time I step aboard and open an ice cold miller lite. I de-stress for about an hour or so before driving home. I need to replace the cabin door, which is made out of 3/4 inch plywood. Found a rotten spot, under the window trim. Good news is my boys in the carpentry shop are going to hook me up with a new one, maybe from a new product called powerply. It looks like plywood, but is really a composit material that can be painted. Might cost me a six pack. will keep you posted. Capt. Heavy

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 17 2008 at 17:31 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hi Flaoter: Thanks for the  reply! Well if you must sell the Floater I suggest not spend a wad of money on it just clean,clean and have every thing on board that is there in working condition.If you do the engine thing you will not get any more for the boat.Been there and done that.Keep the old 305 or 350 running and let the new owner have some room for up grades.
Hope you can find a trailer for it the trailer will need to be 32 foot overall and 3 axle.I found my trailer on E bay and went to Ohio and got it.They are not cheap.UGH
Well hope the curtains work out for you. SeeYa,Bill

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: July 17 2008 at 20:53 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Wow Bill, that is some list of "dones"...unfortunately my list of to-do's is the longer one, but they will get completed

I am not planning a full restoration, just gettin her cleaned up on the outside, will repaint the blue stripes in the fall and reseal the windows.  The inside I still need to install a new headliner...already ripped out the old mouse hair and that was a huge improvement even with the raw fiberglass. Need to do curtains. The plumbing needs attention (pressure pump, faucets, shower drain) but the upholstery is in nice shape.  I am going to install a pergo floor in place of the carpet on the plywood subfloor...should look real nice.  At least I recored the lazarette hatch in the cockpit and got rid of the plywood planks covering the opening...took way too long to finish it, too busy using the boat.

If anyone needs photos posted, feel free to email them to me at tg-426@hotmail.com and I'd be happy to do it on your behalf.

Floater...a 290 hp would be real nice in the 25 Cat, getcha to the other side of the lake in a real hurry...but if you are selling, let the next owner take care of some things as Bill said.  If I was to do a full resto and repower, I would love a diesel (maybe turbo diesel) love to cruise fast

"MY WAY"

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: July 18 2008 at 17:54 | IP Logged Quote floater251

All, from the words of our leader, Captn Heavy "Its Beer Thirty!!!"

yall have a safe weekend!

Floater...

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: July 20 2008 at 10:15 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hi guys,spent fri and sat on my buddies 32 carver ripping out his old exhaust systems and installing new ones including new exhaust tubes,did the job in the boat while she was in the water,we decided next time would be in the winter as the temps were in the 90's even with fans it was a real nasty job,but the test cruise was all okput back on cast irons,the only thing that made it good was the whole back deck comes up and the engines(350) are right there, they are connected to v drives so everything is backwards,anyway the job is done and the chickee bar at the marina was the real saving gracehope you guys have a good weekend.peter

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 20 2008 at 14:13 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hi boatman: Sounds like you got some real good work done.Bet it was hot as it has it has been in the low 90's all week.
My project is coming along and I hope to finish in the next 2 to 3 week as get it in the water for test runs.I sure hope all works with all the changes I have made. I have had the engine running and it seems to run fine so if the tranny is ok I will be set except for alignment which I hope I can do as I don't have a place that can do it.Some marine mechanics are good at alignment and others? So well will see if I can do it.Well stay cool !!Bill

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: July 20 2008 at 16:09 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Ahoy Group and Bill,

From my prevous post on the question of the buzzing sounds coming through the new A/V system with problems while on shore power, there is an added wrinkle. When using the fresh water pump, all hell cuts loose- the VHF would turn on/off by itself and the stereo would turn off-by itself, just like that, every time.  After much experimenting, pondering and taking into consideration Heavy's valuable suggestions, a simple solution presented itself: When plugged into shore power, keeping the rectifier on,  turn on one of the batteries...just like that- no shut on/off , no buzzing. Now I think I understand. The factory Rectifier is a Triad-Utrad Mdl# TU-323. It is rated at 2.3 amps V.A.C., translating to a not a very powerful unit for DC operations. Any load affects it. It 's 1980's Technology- simple, robust- low power and buzzy- all nornal. When I bring one of the batteries on line, it acts as a kind of transformer/choke, minimizing voltage drop and maintaining amp draw capacity. We run a seperate modern smart battery charger, so the old rectifyer only does electrical supply duty- meaning that when I turn off the battery, the modern charger checks battery condition and charges accorgingly...dynamite in theory, I just hope it works in real life...  We printed a laminated note and stuck it by the hatch lock quote: "Battery switch?".  Reminds us to turn off the battery when leaving the boat for home. 

I'm currently deciding what accessories to add for the new system: iPod and DVD connectivity. All major parts are in and it kicks butt with the zoned, Bose speakers. Photos to follow when it's all in. Rockin In The Free World!

Bill,

Aligning that prop shaft:

If you can, do it in the water. There is a procedure in the Mercruiser manual if you have it. I think I can scan the needed pages and send if needed.

I watched the boatyard prop guy do ours. Tools: looog SAE gap guages, wrenches to adjust the engine mounts. I did not see him use any kind of hammer the whole time... the guy really took his time. He used new non-stainless steel coupling bolts and replaced the original shaft coupling with a split type. The pressure types are a bear to remove. He did a whole lot of coupling/uncoupling/rotating/feeler guage checking/engine mount adjusting to get the shaft just so...

Years back, when we first had this done, he noticed the bronze shaft log was misaligned in relation to the shaft strut and the end of the tranny, from the factory! We always wondered what these odd sounds were. At the time, we also installed a slightly smaller prop to get the tips away from the bottom, they were causing cavitation noises. The boatyard glassed in the three old log-bolt holes, redrilled to true center. The way they determined the log was out of center was  when they adjusted the engine mounts, the shaft was so off center, adjustment brought the shaft against the Log-bore wall- no further adjustment was possible, things came to a standstill...

All the best guys... we're not out of oil...yet!

Diver

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 20 2008 at 17:03 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

HI Roy: Thanks for the tips on the alignment!I will need all the help I can get I guess as I did the isstalling and ebverything. I bought one of the split hubs and  it wouldn't fit since I had changed the tranny and the 72 series with the reduction gear is 3/4 inch longer than the original 71 series. I put the old solid  hub back on but am going to pull the shaft and cut about 1 inch off of it as it is to long and has the prop within 3/4 to the rudder which is to close for me so I am going to pull the shaft and cut it off and then I will try to put the shaft back in .The resaon I didn't use the split hub is that I had it on the tranny shaft and then you couldn't get the packing nut up enough to repack it so I went back to the old one now the problem will be getting the thing off as it is very tight andI put it on the shaft before I put the new engine in which was easy .This operation smells like trouble and a few skinned knuckles 'I take toporol and plavix so lots of my blood on this boat.ha Thanks,Bill

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: July 20 2008 at 21:57 | IP Logged Quote floater251

fellas, hope the weekend went well for all. even with bills blood and shaft issues. visited the floater today, went myself to give her a good bath. tried to instal the curtains. there will be a cloth burning in the morning....you know the side curtains at the front with the triangles to cover the angled section? well....i made two left hand sides. and the front two windows...too short. so, i decided the old curtains that look like old men flanel pajamas dont look so bad. made a discovery while cleaning the bilge....mufflers! well, what i think are mufflers. both side exhaust pipes go into big rusty cast iron boxes with chris craft casted on them. are they mufflers and how do thay work? is very loud as you have seen in previous posts, is there packing in them? can they be repacked? while running today charging voltage was low, around 11 volt aera, looked to see the alternator belt very loose. took the acess cover from top of the cabin steps, belt looke very worn. IM SO EXCITED to replace it (yah right) anyone know the size? hate to remove it just to drive an hour to the nearest parts house, would like to have the new one in hand. well fellas...do i try to tighten it and get another month and do it at home, or replace it at the dock? oh well, its bedtime. oh, dont forget....tuesday is the season finally of the deadliest catch!! now there will be nothing on these 1200 cable channels until fall.

well, everyone have a good week. back to the grind.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: July 20 2008 at 23:08 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Good weekend up here in NY although did not get to go crusin' because of heavy fog in the mornings and heavy wind and wave conditions in the Great South Bay all day...no matter, we did some working and relaxing at the marina and saved a whole bunch of gas!

Foggy morning:

Here are 2 photos of the re-cored lazarette hatch:

Edited by Nauti Cat on July 20 2008 at 23:09

"MY WAY"

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: July 20 2008 at 23:15 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

ok everyone...

here it is...what we've all been waiting for...

photos of suwanneered's beauty:

"MY WAY"

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: July 20 2008 at 23:16 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

2 more photos...

"MY WAY"

]
] ]
191 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version