View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: July 03 2008 at 08:07 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hey Pop Pop no time no see--what are you doing to your engine?? Hope all goes well. red baron--where are you? must be out cruisin, anyway, HOWDY!! Capt.H. not to add insult to injury,BUT, check all your grounds,sometimes they are the real culprit..Sure hope you get her fixed.I have the wiring diagram for my catalina,if-- I can tell you the wire routing or anything for your engs let me know,I'm sure they are pretty much the same.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: July 03 2008 at 11:52 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Thanks to all for the input on the ignition  problem. I've checked everything there is to check. Found a few problems along the way but not the cause. It's definitly the distributor module. They don't make a direct replacement for this distributor anymore, even though it's only four years old. Jerry's Marine out of Ft. Lauderdale sent me a module they said will work. It's called  The Ignitor, Made by a company called Pertronix. Anyone familiar with this? It's a very small unit compared to what's in there now, but it wires up the same as the original one with the exception of the need for a ballast resister that I'll buy today. Keepin' my fingers crossed. Wish me luck. Capt. Heavy

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: July 03 2008 at 12:46 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Heavy,

Yup, I think that unit is the current, direct replacment for the old Quicksilver Thunderbolt system. Progress marches on as components miniturize...

One thought: inspect/swap the distributor sending unit, rotor and cap. I wish I knew a procedure to test the sending unit other than swap out. 

Readers Digest version theory-of-operation: Sending unit inside the distributor uses a magnetic pickup sensing Distributor shaft rotation. Certainly on the module off-board the distributor there will be: ground lead, +12vdc, inbound signal from the sender, outbound signal to the coil . It would take an osiloscope with lock-pin test leads to detect signals-  this kinda thing's for pros, if they had the time.  As you're doing, it's simpler to eliminate the problem by component replacement.

Fourth of July is almonst here- prayers to our people overseas!  All the best to your family-Enjoy an ice cold one. My treat.

Diver

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: July 03 2008 at 22:05 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi everyone, happy 4th!

Capt. Heavy, sorry to hear about the ignition problems, good luck in solving it...wish I can offer some help but your postings are teaching me.

I finished re-coring the lazaratte hatch over the fuel tank, just need to reinstall the hinges and handle and it will go in tomorrow...lookin' pretty good for a diy job.

I have been anchoring with the Lewmar 14lb plow with an all rope rode and no chain.  With a 7-10:1 scope it's been holding perfectly even when my aunt and uncle raft up to us with their 30' sailboat.  I do however need to replace the rode as I bought the economy 3-strand and it slips in the windlass a little causing me to have to go out on the bow while my wife handles the helm.  I was told that the premium will work much better so I will install that tomorrow.  I have been tying the line off on the mooring bit to take any pressure off the gypsy while at anchor too.

We've been keeping out outings to a few local anchorages and that is saving some fuel although I often get her going at a nice fast cruise 25mph, yes the secondaries are opening )...she just handles fantastic in anyting the Great South Bay can dish up which is typically a 2-3 foot chop with whitecaps.

Next projects are sealing the cabin windows, rewiting the wiper motors, refinishing the teak rail and replacing the stern railing hardware.  Once the windows are sealed we will have the new cabin headliner installed...I'll be sure to post some pix.

Have a great weekend everyone, thank you to all who served and God bless our troops overseas!!!

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 06 2008 at 08:26 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hi Mates:
Well I sure hope everyone had a great 4th oif July weekend and make it back home safe!
I have been busy as a beaver painting the boot strips and band around the upper hull. I also elected to paint the area  strips where the Chris Craft emblems go. I couldn't get the proper vinyl strips and Decided to paint them in. I like 1 more coat and they will be done. Whew! Big job for 1 man.Takes most time in prep work.THe Ole 280 is about done and I am ready for a ride it in for sure as I have been working on it for almost 2 years in my side yard.
I did spend 1 night in it at a truck stop in Georgia when I brought it home from Florida.
I have ac and tv installed.I saw on a forum where a fellow had installed a small window unit on his boat and made it a water cooled unit.I followed his instructions and it works great in the test however I am not sure about my pump for it as it must be cooled with the water your boating in .Sure hope it works cause here in Tennesse it gets very warm in the summer.
Hey Capt Heavy,get the engine fixed. I have a msall trailer North of you in Suwannee,Fl and have spent a lot of time in the Gulf. See Ya,Bill
Back to Top Printable version View suwanneered's Profile Search for other posts by suwanneered

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: July 07 2008 at 20:20 | IP Logged Quote floater251

fellas, hope all had a fun and safe 4th! i need yall to tell me if this looks ok. the last owner swiss cheezed the side of the boat with rod holders, etc.... my 251 stickers were faded and peeling. had some leftover teak and found some stainless #s. if it looks bad, i'll take them off.

floater.

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: July 07 2008 at 20:21 | IP Logged Quote floater251

after.............

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 07 2008 at 20:58 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hey Floater: I think that looks really good! On my Ole 280 the Catalina signs were bad so I removed them and cannot find new ones.They were on with some adhesive so it did require and thing except cleaning and sanding and painting

Just looking at the photos the 251 looks like its in good shape.On my 280 the hand rail ends were like yours and I sent them to a chrome shop,UGH cost me 500.oo to get them chromed and returned.
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!! See Ya,Bill
Back to Top Printable version View suwanneered's Profile Search for other posts by suwanneered

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 07:04 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Looking good floater.  My 280 has all the original emblems and they are not too bad however my railings are a bit rough...still has the original aluminum and the fittings are all cracked...will get to them eventually.

New question guys...

How is the carbon monoxide in your cockpits and cabins when unerway?  I have a digital CO meter in the galley and depending on the combination of the boat's direction relative to the wind, the only time I do not have CO near the helm and in the cabin is when I am directly into the wind at a fast cruise with the cabin windows open (creating positive pressure from the cabin to the cockpit.  I have tried all combinations of windors open and closed, cabin door open and closed, vent windows in the windshield opened and closed and with all the side curtains up, down and all combinations in between.  I know experss cruisers are subject to the station wagon effect but was wondering how everyone deals with it.

Comments...?

Do they make some sort of pipe that can channel the exhaust from the thru-hull down the stern to below the waterline? 

Thanks,

Tom

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 07:40 | IP Logged Quote floater251

cat. it gets rough in the floater. my wife will not sit in the cabin while cruising. i did leave the engine compartment blowers on once while underway and it made a huge difference. i guess the negative pressure swnt the fumes out the sides instead of lingering around. it did draw alot from the batteries, i do have the oem blowers. i thought of running a single new effecient blower running off of the ignition circuit to run whenever the engine is running. i think that may help.

floater.

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 08:17 | IP Logged Quote floater251

cat, to add to that, i know at the back of the boat, like on a van or suv, there is a low pressure zone that blows back into the passenger compartment aera. like a suv with rear exiting dual exhaust and leaving the liftgate glass open will force all the fumes into the vehicke, but with side exit (factory style) exhaust it does not come back in. i winder if that goes the same with a boat? i see that boats now of all sizes have side exiting exhaust. hummmm, any ideas? perhaps someone who works for a boat builder may know the answer...capt heavy...

floater

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 08:22 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey gang! Hope everyone had a nice holiday weekend. I got mystic diver runnung on friday. New distributor module was easy to install. Just had to modify the mounting holes slightly to get them to line up. 2 screws, 2 wires a new ballast resister she fired right up and ran like new. Got a phone call from a guy in tampa, interested in buying  her.  Got to do some cleanup befor he gets here this weekend. Ana a little fresh varnish on the teak trim in the cockpit.

Floater that looks good, nice job. Capt. Heavy

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 08:38 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Floater, Marine East makes a 90 degree and a 45 degree exhaust port that lets you control the direction of the exhaust gas.  They come in 3 and 4 inch sizes.  Made from black nylon. Retail price $57.75. It is the only one I could find but I'm sure there are others out there. Capt. Heavy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 08:43 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

CAT: I had the same effect on my 294 cat,installed rubber flappers over the outlets and they helped enormously--now there is no fumes on the deck or the cabin,I even mounted a co detector on the back wall of the deck and it never went off,hoever on a run one day I took a big SPLASH to the boat and water soaked the detector. after the splash I kept hearing this alarm and could not figure fot the life of me what the hell it was..so stopped the boat,shut everything down and sure enough the thing was beeping.ruined it--anyway if you don't have those exhaust flappers I strongly reccomend them,they use band clamps to hold them on.here's a picture.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 08:47 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

boatmans flapper

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 08:49 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

as you can see,theflapper directs the gasses to the sides where they are swept away by the wind.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 08:53 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

WAY TO CAPT H. good luck on selling your boat.there was a smaller cat for sale over here on marco I'll see if it is still up..may be just what you are looking for.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 08:55 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

way to go Capt H. hope you sell your boat,there was a smaller cat for sale real cheap over here on marco,I'll see if it is still around.may be just what you are looking for...

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 08:57 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

OOOOOPS SORRYDOUBLE ENTRY

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 08:59 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Thanks boatman. I'm really on the fence about what type of boat to buy. Maybe outboard, maybe inboard. But if my boat doesn't sell it won't matter. Heavy

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 11:09 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

We've always had the problem of exhaust vortex. We deal with it with our fully enclosed cockpit bimini. In the SF Bay, we're lucky. There's little problem with that, the weather here is moderate all the time. In other areas, this issue may be challenging- flappers sound like a good solution. Many boats have exhaust systems exiting from hull sides for just this reason. On our Cats, the challenge is the room necessary for mufflers down the aft sides of our hulls. Hm- interesting problem. 

Heavy- good news on the engine!

Not withstanding twin engines and the need for speed (getting to fishing areas etc), my view is that the Cats with singles are arguably the most efficient fuel-for size vessels on the water today. They really have a lot of room, they're designed for multi purpose use and CC's many, many years of Mfgr'r experience reached, in my opinion- it's finest moment with the Cats. There are always comprimises, but our boats ride that line very well! I can't think of any other boat where one can actually see the shaft log from the wheelhouse...There's just something very right about the Cats design. 

Diver      

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 11:31 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Yeah, Diver, I would consider a 280 with a single and a factory hardtop. Nice size cabin and head. In fact that is exactly what I was shopping for 19 years ago when I found mystic diver. I found several cats but they were all brokerage boats and I had a 251 cat to trade in. Bought mystic diver from a dealer in Cape May N.J. who took my boat in trade. Heavy

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 12:37 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Floater. For whatever reason I can't get your e-mail. Computer keeps saying "this page cannot be found". heavy

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 13:05 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hey Boatman: Do you know who sells the flappers? I need one for my 280CC as the exhaust comes out under the swim platform. I Had a 30 foot Island Hopper and it had a side exhaust.The boat was a diesel and it worked great.I was at the factory and they said that they made that special for a fellow from New Jersey who was in the dive business.I would really like to get a flapper. Thanks,Bill

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 13:12 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey Bill. West marine sells the exhaust flaps. Made by sierra. $24.99-45.99 depending on the size, range from 3 inch to 6inch. How did you like your Island Hopper? I also visited the factory in Ft. Pierce. Liked what I saw. Love to have one, but out of my price range. Capt. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 13:16 | IP Logged Quote floater251

i have flappers on the floater...still strong. i think maybe routing it with a 45 deg to the side it might get caught in the side wake and cary out. yes, no, maybe?

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 13:43 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Thank you for the overwhelming feedback on the exhaust/CO issue.  My Cat 280 does have the flapper (single exhaust on the starboard side) but it does not seem to help and I can't imagine how much worse it would be without it.  The next time I go out I will take some video, maybe there is more exhaust than there should be? 

I have run the blower at all speeds and it seems to make no difference as it is venting the engine compartment.

Perhaps you idea floater of redirecting the exhaust towards the side will help, making it more like newer boats with side exit exhaust...what type of pipe would we use for that? 

"MY WAY"

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 14:25 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey Cat, google marineeast.com, click on exhaust ports ont the left side of the screen(product catagories) then click on exhaust ports again and a list of products pop up. scroll down and you'll find both 45 degree and 90 degree exhaust ports that you can use to direct the exhaust flow to the side of the transom. Heavy

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 14:36 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

HI Capt Heavy: I really loved the Island Hopper!!! It was a 1986 model with a single 3208 Cat diesel engine.I took really good care of the boat and sold it for 5,000.00 more than I paid for it.I bought it in 1995 and kept it for 10 years and never any major problems with it.The bottom is fairly flat and it really don't like rough seas and it was hard to dock in close places due to that as the slightest wind would blow you around.Island Hopper is out of business now.Plant is closed and don't know what happened to the molds,etc. I guess I will order a flapper for mine from West Marine.I doubt if it will help due to the exhaust being under the swim platform.Maybe you can sell and get a 280 as I see them all the time now at fairly decent prices.I am boat poor at the present time as I have 2.I rebuilt a 1977 John Allmand which  is a 23 footer  when I got it it was a hull only and had been a inboard but I put a Yamaha on it on a bracket which makes it ride like a 25ft boat.It has a glass top and is et up for fishing in the Gulf however since I live 525 from the big pond and am 73 years old guess I will sell it and keep the 280 CC which I am restoring at the present.
I have completely redone it all over 2 years.Ha I like working on the Boats as well as running them.Thanks for the reply and hope all is well with the sale and you get another one soon. Bill

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: July 09 2008 at 09:53 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Nauti-Floater on the subject of exhaust fumes I would also check my fuel air ratio at the carb you may be running too rich which would cause excess fumage(new word) my carbs were way off in that respect as the auto chokes were set way too closed.now when the engs are cold the chokes are about a quarter inch open and when you turn the key on they go almost all the way closed for starting and two pumps of the throttle and they fire right up.there is also no more black soot in the water after fire up.Just some thoughts,as you both say you have the flappers already.

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: July 09 2008 at 11:37 | IP Logged Quote floater251

boatman, makes sence. now for carb adjustment 101

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: July 09 2008 at 12:56 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Gentlmen,

I gave the exhaust vortex issue some thought last night. I reconsidered the notion of flappers being a solution. Alas, I beleive it's not to be for the following reasons: Flappers are designed to keep water from entering the muffler from for example following seas or perhaps stopping critters from nesting. Under way, the flappers are open allowing exhaust out and I beleive with little or no directional vectoring of gasses. In short, the problem's not mitigated...maybe a little- but certainly not enough. The idea with the side-of-hull exhaust exiting is designed to avoid the vortex effect of the transome. I've seen on some boats where the gas exits right at the corner of the aft hull which helps some, but not completely- an attemp to go with the idea without intrusive (and expensive) alterations to the exhaust system. Another design I seen which looks promising: some of the new Cruiser models has some stand-off panels secured to the side of the  hull aft that actually curve around the corner at the transome. Idea being to duct clear air from the boats side to the transome area disrupting the vortexing effect...no info on whether the design works althought on paper, it's dynamite. 

Diver

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: July 09 2008 at 12:57 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, guys. on the subject of exhaust fumes, I recently sold a U.S. navy motorwhaleboat that I was using for sightseeing cruises on the St. Lucie River. It was diesel powered with with the exhaust port on the side of the hull rather than the transom. When I installed a muffler (there was none) it greatly reduced the amout of exhaust fumes, I assume it's because the muffler mixes the water and exaust by a series of baffle chambers. Anyway, if any of you guys have the old style chris craft cast iron mufflers on your boat, you may want to replace them. I took my mufflers off because one had developed a leak. When I looked inside of the muffler I noticed all of the baffles were rusted away. The muffler wasn't doing anything. I replaced them with a fiberglass tube. Still pretty quiet. Since mystic diver Is a sport fish and not an express I've never had a fume issue. Just something to think about. Capt. Heavy

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 09 2008 at 14:51 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hey Guys:

I haven't had my boat running in the water as yet however it has a fiberglass or some composite material muffler and the exhaust tube is fiberglass except for where it come off the engine and I made a connector  which is copper for the exhaust to hook together and then it goes to the muffler and out the starboard rear.
The Older CCC had a cast iron thing for the exhaust which was very heavy and mine was rusted out.My is a 1984 model and I am sure every owner made some changes.
I have thought about the flapper and it would probably cause some blockage as it requires  pressure to keep it open.Guess I will be running slow trying to save fuel. Might try to make a motor sailer???

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: July 09 2008 at 15:00 | IP Logged Quote floater251

you know...being in the automotive buisness, i may try to get some 3" stainless tubing bent to a 45 deg angle with a bologna cut on the end, remove the flappers, get some kind of rubber plumbing union to hook it to the exhaust outlet and run out to the side into the wake. !?

floater.

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 09 2008 at 17:16 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hey Floater: I think you are on the right track. Did you say 3 inch ? I have some rubber three inch that is made for exhaust. I have 2 pieces and I will send you a piece if you will send your address to me.Its Free! you can cut a short section and clamp it to your exhaust outlet and the other end to the pipe you design.The pieces I have were to connect to the riser andthen to the exhaust collector.I bought them with some other parts and mine is a 4 inch riser so I don't need both pieces.LIke I said earlier on my old cat diesel the out was on the side and never had any smoke ,etc in the cabin area,Bill

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: July 09 2008 at 19:08 | IP Logged Quote floater251

cool, bill. first im going to ck with the exhaust shop, make sure they have some stainless. i will need to figure out how to install them in the water. i will need to have the boat empty, low on fuel (always low on fuel anyhow) to keep the exhaust above the water. in going to do some brainstorming this weekend. i know water runs through the pipe so i wonder how hot thay will get? anyone have any idea?

floater

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 09 2008 at 21:28 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hi Floater: The water don't get real hot it it isn't boiling hot especially that far away from the engine.Check and see if you can order a fiberglass tube in a 45 % .Well you can see about what will work and maybe you can clamp it to a brace on the swim platform.Bill

poppop
"Seaman"

Posted: July 10 2008 at 06:57 | IP Logged Quote poppop

floater

Go to your local plumbing store and pick up a 3" copper 45 degree or 90 degree fitting to use for the exhaust.

Back to Top Printable version View poppop's Profile Search for other posts by poppop

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: July 10 2008 at 08:20 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Mornin', gang. Sounds like some serious brain stormin' going on. I have seen some people use pvc pipe and elbows, although I don't know how well they hold up. Hey Bill, you said your cat was diesel? What size cat and what engine? Capt Heavy

]
] ]
191 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version