View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Formula/Thunderbird
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Formula/Thunderbird
Subject Topic: 233F ride Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
kitebuz
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 04 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote kitebuz

I have just started looking into buying a 233.  I have always liked Formulas, and did not know, until recently, they came in a center console (which is what I want).

I have been reading up on the CC version, and it sounds nice.  I understand several hulls have come from the 233 mold - one being the Albemarle 24.  What is confusing is that I have read the Albe 242 is considered a "wet" ride, but I have heard several comment in how dry their 233's are.  I am in Buzzards Bay, MA which has lots of short, steep chop (2-3'+).  Given it's size, will the 233 CC run dry or wet in these conditions (somewhat subjective - I know)?  Do any of you use spray rails (I have seen these on Seacrafts)?

I have also looked into the Seacraft 23, which again looks strikingly similar to the 233 hull.  Biggest difference looks to be in the chines.  How do these two hulls compare for ride?  The Seacrafts seem to command a higher resale from the name, but I am thinking the Formula offer a better value.

Any input is appreciated.  I am looking for one that is ready to run.  I would actually love to totally re-do one, but just don't have the time currently.  I may find one that is in decent, but not perfect, condition to run for a few years, then re-do.  What price ranges have you seen the 233 CC's going for?

Also, what do you prefer - in-boards or out on this boat?  I have been assuming I would get an OB boat just from a simplicity stand point.  I plan on trailering, time is always tight, and OB's seem better suited to doing "dump & runs".

Again, thanks for any input, and sorry for the rambling 1st post.   

Back to Top Printable version View kitebuz's Profile Search for other posts by kitebuz

kitebuz
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 05 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote kitebuz

Maybe I asked too many questions at once.

I'd be interested to hear any feedback from 233 center console owners.  I've got my eye on one in particular and would like to hear feedback from anyone on this forum with experience on this hull. 

Thanks.

Back to Top Printable version View kitebuz's Profile Search for other posts by kitebuz

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 05 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

Kitebuz,

Welcome on!...  Be sure to look through the postings by Fintage.  He is a New England area fisher and has probably commented on the questions you're asking here or on other postings away from the Formula section.  You can search his posts easy enough.  He's good people...  

An Australian company is using the original hull mold to crank out new 233 units (I hear....)  Look through some of the earlier posts in the Formula/Thunderbird for more info on them.

I have yet to see a 233 from any year with an asking price of more than 20K.  I think 14K was the most I can recall at all.  Asking & selling are worlds apart though.

Others here have put their 233 units through more then I probably ever will but I have never been sprayed by any wake or wave I've plowed through.

Be sure also to check out Dick at the link below....Dick_F233
He's done I nice write up on his project and is probably enjoying what you're considering.

Welcome again. Visit & post often!

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 18:41

kitebuz
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 06 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote kitebuz

233DE - thanks for the welcome.  I am familiar w/ Fintage (& his boat) from the THT forum.  I am actually going to try and contact him as I am looking at a 233 in RI this weekend.

I enjoyed Dick's website, and also those of others that have gone thru their boats.  If I wind up w/ a 233, I imagine I will have the deck up sooner or later.  Wish I had more time to do a total refit now, but not the case.

I will keep you posted on what happens after the weekend. 

74Formula233
"Seaman"

Posted: October 06 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 74Formula233

Will be sending an email soon.......

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 18:40
Back to Top Printable version View 74Formula233's Profile Search for other posts by 74Formula233

fshtalzF233C
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 08 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote fshtalzF233C

The Albe is identical to the 233 so if one person says it's wet and one says it's dry it is a matter of opinion. This hull does a great job of cutting through chop and dislacing spray but in a headwind if you don't have a good enclosure (see Fintage) you're going to get wet. My son and I spent one particular day this season on Buzzards Bay. When the wind kicked up, we went up through the canal into Cape Cod Bay. The wind was blowing directly down the canal and when we got up into CCB we faced six foot swells with a 3-4 foot snotty chop. We had a blast but we came home really crusty because my enclosure was home in the garage (shame on me). The bottom line is, the F233 hull handles seas that other boats simply wouldn't allow you to be out in.
Back to Top Printable version View fshtalzF233C's Profile Search for other posts by fshtalzF233C

kitebuz
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 11 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote kitebuz

Good point - everything is relative.  I did seatrial the boat in Narraganset Bay.  It was a light (@ 8 knt) wind, and small chop 1'-2'.  She didn't even notice.  We got into a few bigger swells, and I can see how people are so enthusiastic about the ride.  Anything is wet in the right conditions (wasn't for us that day), but I can also see there are few boats in this range that ride as well.  Fintage also shared some great stories and ride experiences that put bigger and much more $$ boats to shame.

74Formula233
"Seaman"

Posted: October 17 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 74Formula233

fshtalzF233C wrote:
The Albe is identical to the 233 so if one person says it's wet and one says it's dry it is a matter of opinion. This hull does a great job of cutting through chop and dislacing spray but in a headwind if you don't have a good enclosure (see Fintage) you're going to get wet. My son and I spent one particular day this season on Buzzards Bay. When the wind kicked up, we went up through the canal into Cape Cod Bay. The wind was blowing directly down the canal and when we got up into CCB we faced six foot swells with a 3-4 foot snotty chop. We had a blast but we came home really crusty because my enclosure was home in the garage (shame on me). The bottom line is, the F233 hull handles seas that other boats simply wouldn't allow you to be out in.

Very well put.....

I laugh when people try to insist that their boat is dry as a bone (without curtains or anything LOL).  It's a pure case of exaggeration when you hear that.

That said, you summarized the ride of this hull very well.....although I think it is not a direct headwind you meant when you said it will spray some....for me a direct headwind is fine, it's the headwind at a slight angle that gives you the nuisance spray....

and, yes the curtains are so nice!  I Tog fished in the pouring rain on Saturday in 20 kt winds (higher gusts) and we were comfortable as hell!

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 18:41
Back to Top Printable version View 74Formula233's Profile Search for other posts by 74Formula233

fshtalzF233C
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 17 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote fshtalzF233C

You're right Eric, not a direct headwind... I guess you'd call it broad off the bow that gives up some spray.

Back to Top Printable version View fshtalzF233C's Profile Search for other posts by fshtalzF233C

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version