View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Formula/Thunderbird
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Formula/Thunderbird
Subject Topic: Formula/Thunderbird Introductory Post Post ReplyPost New Topic
12 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 25 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Cuda

80FORMULA F20CL wrote:

Cuda,

I have uploaded a couple of photo's at the link below.  This is right afer I bought it, it looks much better now after a good cleaning, it had been sitting for several years. Mechanically seems to be fine, needs a little cosmetic work which I am presently doing while in use. 

Thanks,

Butch

<link removed>

Butch, I just saw the link to the pics of your boat.  It looks like the exact same boat as my 81 F20 SC.  Does yours have a walk through windsheild?

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 18:23

80FORMULA F20CL
"Seaman"

Posted: September 25 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 80FORMULA F20CL

Cuda,

Yes it does have a walkthrough windshield, with a V-Bunk up front and a small self contained head.  I thought it looked a lot like yours from what I sould see in the renovation photos, hows that coming by the way ?  Also do you have any access to the hull area under the deck on the outside of the stringers ?  There's probobly not a lot of room in there but I would still like to have some type of access to those area's in case you hit something or just to see if any water is in there etc.  Thinking about a couple of those round access panels that everybody sells one on each side of the engine box. Looking for idea's.

Thanks,

Butch 

Back to Top Printable version View 80FORMULA F20CL's Profile Search for other posts by 80FORMULA F20CL

Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 25 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Cuda

No, no access to the hull outside the stringers.

Back to Top Printable version View Cuda's Profile Search for other posts by Cuda

80FORMULA F20CL
"Seaman"

Posted: October 07 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 80FORMULA F20CL

74Formula233

I found an earlier post of yours where you were talking about replacing the seat pedestal with a storage cabinet.  Just wondering if you ever persued it any further ??  I have had the same idea for some time and looking for ideas, something to build over the winter.

Thanks,

Butch

Back to Top Printable version View 80FORMULA F20CL's Profile Search for other posts by 80FORMULA F20CL

74Formula233
"Seaman"

Posted: October 07 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 74Formula233

No, I haven't pursued it yet other than saving some links to companies who make prefabbed ones.  I may just go that route, instead of building some.

Also, there is a local company (10 mins from me) that is building boats now (sick machines too!) and the owner said he is willing to work with me in making some boxes with his molds.

This guy built a 25' Center Console with a Yanmar Diesel and Hamilton Jet Drive.  I went out with him for a demo, and this boat is simply incredible!  The handling FAR EXCEEDS any inboard, I/O, or O/B setup on the market in all ways!  I mean holy crap, I was blown away.

The setup he installed is the same that our local Safe Seas have been using for over 10 years now.

The service schedule on the Jet Drive is 2000 hours!  Do NOTHING to it until then!  All you do is regular maintenance on the Yanmar!

Price is around 95k, I believe.

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 18:24
Back to Top Printable version View 74Formula233's Profile Search for other posts by 74Formula233

Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 11 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Cuda

Allison Hi-Tech wrote:

Cuda, Good to see you on Boat US also.  The 302 looks great!!!!!!

Have yet figured out how to post a picture in this forum.

We are starting the 302 mods this fall .....

Just picked up a couple of wipple charged 502's and sportmaster drives.  almost seems like too much for this boat.

Bill, you have to have the pictures hosted on another site, then use the image code.

Back to Top Printable version View Cuda's Profile Search for other posts by Cuda

Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 11 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Cuda

I got some more done last night.  The starboard side is almost done.  I've just got to paint the black along the bottom.

Allison Hi-Tech
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 11 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Allison Hi-Tech

Cuda, Good to see you on Boat US also.  The 302 looks great!!!!!!

Have yet figured out how to post a picture in this forum.

We are starting the 302 mods this fall .....

Just picked up a couple of wipple charged 502's and sportmaster drives.  almost seems like too much for this boat.

Back to Top Printable version View Allison Hi-Tech's Profile Search for other posts by Allison Hi-Tech

BryanK
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 21 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote BryanK

Is there any room for a new Formula owner in this forum?  I just bought a 2004 Formula 34 PC... I'm totally psyched, but since I boat in Ohio I won't be able to break my baby in for another 6 months.  I need to get my off-season fix!

BryanK

Back to Top Printable version View BryanK's Profile Search for other posts by BryanK

74Formula233
"Seaman"

Posted: October 22 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 74Formula233

There's always room for more Formulas, LOL

Back to Top Printable version View 74Formula233's Profile Search for other posts by 74Formula233

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 25 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

Shoot yeah...New birds turn heads just like older ones.

Welcome in!  What did you have before the 'bird?

Back to Top Printable version View 233 Double E's Profile Search for other posts by 233 Double E

DOGGYDOO
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 08 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote DOGGYDOO

looking  to  purchase  a  1968  233  that  has  been  modified  to  an inboard setup with a chevy straight six. does anyone know if this is a common type conversion?  dave

Back to Top Printable version View DOGGYDOO's Profile Search for other posts by DOGGYDOO

Dick_F223
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 08 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Dick_F223

Oh Kay was originally powered with a 5.0L Ford V-8, and I replaced it with a 5.7L GMC.  For blue water fishing, it's perfect. 

I would guess yours is seriously underpowered with a 6-banger, regardless how you plan to use it.

Oh Kay - 1972 Thunderbird Formula F233
Back to Top Printable version View Dick_F223's Profile Search for other posts by Dick_F223

DOGGYDOO
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 11 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote DOGGYDOO

ABOUT  THIS  68  233  WITH  THE  SIX  INLINE.  I AM GONNA  TAKE  HER  OUT  SUNDAY  AND  SUPPOSEDLY  SHE DOES  32  MPH  WITH THE SIX BANGER.  DOES  ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE CUBIC INCH USUALLY  IS  FOR THIS VINTAGE ENGINE?  ALSO IS THIS ENGINE WORTH A PERFORMANCE UPGRADE, CAM  BIGGER  CARB,. SO FORTH.  IT  CURRENTLY HAS A QUADRAJET  BUT I ALSO HAVE A BUILT 425 OLDS I COULD DROP IN.  ALSO DOES $3000.00 SOUND LIKE TOO MUCH?  THE BOAT IS EXCEPTIONALLY CLEAN , NEW BOTTOM JOB, WITH A FLOAT ON TRAILER.  DAVE IN  FT.  LAUDERDALE

Back to Top Printable version View DOGGYDOO's Profile Search for other posts by DOGGYDOO

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 12 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

I defer to Cuda but he'll probably say that as long as it has no bimini on it, it's a good deal!

Seriously, I think unless I was taking it out each weekend and going a ways off shore each time, I'd buy it, leave the 6 in it and drop in the 8 once you got your $ worth out of the 6.

I'm wondering the displacement myself on the 6 and if parts are still readily available.

If the trailer is in good shape, the outdrive is healthy and the electronics are sound, I think it's a fair deal.  Think about it this way... If you were to own it, do you think you could sell it for $2500?  If so, buy it, get your $500 worth of water time out of it and re-assess after 6 months to form a plan.

Interesting that recently I saw on-line that an Australian company was building new 233s from the Aronow original molds and that they were selling like hotcakes.

Back to Top Printable version View 233 Double E's Profile Search for other posts by 233 Double E

Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 12 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Cuda

Personally, I'd never buy a boat with bottom paint on it.  I've done it twice, and I don't want to do that again.

DOGGYDOO
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 12 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote DOGGYDOO

ABOUT  THE  BOTTOM  PAINT , I PLAN TO KEEP THE BOAT IN THE WATER PERMANATELY SO IT WOULD NEED BOTTOM  PAINT  REGARDLESS.  I  RUN A MARINA IN FT. LAUDERDALE  SO DOCKAGE IS CHEAP.  I WAS JUST WONDERING HOW MANY OF THESE ARE LEFT AND IN WHAT SHAPE. IT SURE IS BUILT LIKE A TANK.  DAVE

DOGGYDOO
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 12 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote DOGGYDOO

BTW, SINCE I'M BUYING THIS  233  MY  1971  20 ' FORMULA IS NOW ON THE MARKET.  302 FORD VOLVO OUTDRIVE. VG CONDITION.  PICS  AVAILABLE.  DAVE

Dick_F223
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 12 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Dick_F223

Hey Doggydoo,

If it's exceptionally clean, it's probably worth $3000, without an engine :-)

Back to Top Printable version View Dick_F223's Profile Search for other posts by Dick_F223

74Formula233
"Seaman"

Posted: November 18 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 74Formula233

Dick_F223 wrote:

Hey Doggydoo,

If it's exceptionally clean, it's probably worth $3000, without an engine :-)

Hell yeh, that's the philosophy I used when I bought mine for $3000 with the trailer.  I figured....Freshwater Michigan boat, one-owner, solid, very clean hull, engine ran when last used, all pics I had emailed to me were comprehensive and detailed.....AND it had a trailer in good condition.....

I bought her sight unseen figuring EVEN IF I didn't like it when she arrived, I could easily unload it here in the northeast for all of what I paid or even more.  Win-Win situation!

It sounds like a decent deal, what you are considering.

PS: My deal turned out real sweet, I couldn't be any happier with how this boat "turned out" once I took delivery!!!  Nobody can believe I paid what I paid when they see her and fish on her.   Good luck on your deal if you pull the trigger!

Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 18 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Cuda

Here is an index of some pictures we took last week in Palatka.  The last one on the index is a video of my boat running.  The reason Deb is climbing on the sunpad is to see if both engines are running.  I can't tell by listening.  As you can see, it's only running on one at that time.

<link removed>

Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 18 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Cuda

Here's a good pic of Debbie and the boat Saturday.

<link removed>

Opps, apparently I can't link directly to the picture.  It's the last one on page 5.

Edited by Cuda on 18 November 2004 at 10:25am

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 18:25

DOGGYDOO
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 19 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote DOGGYDOO

I've got the 1968 233  in  my  warehouse where I plan to do a top end engine rebuild on the chevy inline 292  with a new cam also. Does anyone have advice on cam for this particular engine? Also this is a  straight inboard set up how can I identify the inboard transmission?  Also this engine is situated mid center of the cockpit  would this help or hinder the ride? It as an 80 gallon fuel tank in the rear where the original stern drive engine was  so I was wondering if shifting the engine forward like this will make it ride more bow down  or what? Haven't seatrialed her I bought her on the trailer so this obviously should be interesting my first time out. No trim tabs because obviously there is no real weight in the stern . Any advice would be appreciated.  Dave in  Ft.  Lauderdale

74Formula233
"Seaman"

Posted: November 22 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 74Formula233

If you are looking for a performance cam for her to spice her up a little, I strongly suggest you talk to Jack Clifford at Clifford Performance.

http://www.cliffordperformance.com/

He has been in business FOREVER, and offers performance parts for virtually just about EVERY inline motor made

They are the experts on inline performance, bar none!

I dealt with them a lot when I had my last CJ, I took the 258 motor and built it to the hilt with a Clifford mild cam, 4-BBL Intake, Holley 4-BBL 390cfm carb, high-lift valve springs, and a dual exhaust header, with custom dual exhaust after that.  Talk about RAPED APE!  I got such a performance increase, I ended up tearing front AND rear driveshafts when I beat on her both on & off-road, lol.  Sounded just like a 350, and acted very much like one.

Edited by Sonja Lowe on June 04 2014 at 11:04

74Formula233
"Seaman"

Posted: November 22 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 74Formula233

By the way, I did all that work to a stock short-block rebuild.  Those inline motors, just about ANY of them, are VERY stout on the lower end, and can take all the abuse you can shell out.  If there is good oil pressure, and good compression on the lower end, I wouldn't worry about spicing up the top end

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 18:26

BFord1
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 15 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote BFord1

Hello fellow Formula owners.  I just saw this link on OSO and thought I'd stop by to say hi.  My old bird is 20 this year.  I was going to post a pic of her but I can't seem to figure out how.  I don't see a link for uploading a file.  Am I missing something here?

Brent

Back to Top Printable version View BFord1's Profile Search for other posts by BFord1

BFord1
"Seaman Recruit"

I can't seem to figure it out.  But, here is a link to some pics of my '85 357 SR1.

<link removed>

Brent

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 18:26
Back to Top Printable version View BFord1's Profile Search for other posts by BFord1

Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 15 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Cuda

Brent, there isn't a way to post them directly.  They have to be hosted on another site and linked.

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 15 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

Hey Brent!  Welcome over!

I was the person asking you about your dad's water tank last year from his 'bird soon after you got your 'bird.  (I never found one and haven't really been in need of it anyway.)

With BoatUS membership comes space to have a photo album.  Another visitor to this page assisted me with it...

The method of adding in the pics is:

After you have a picture you need to select  Settings  (from the top of this page) and then select Edit Profile.  Scroll down to where it says Signature.  In the text box located there you will need to enter the code needed for a picture. 

["IMG"]http://the picture location on the net["/IMG"]

Keep the brackets but leave out the quotes.  Insert your boat picture's location on the Internet in place of the red text.

After awhile, I edit my posts and remove the pics because they take up a lot of space as new visitors scroll through.  I'm probably better off to resize the pics but I don't mind the review of posts from others it provides.

Thanks for getting this thread back on top again!

BFord1
"Seaman Recruit"

Hi 233.  Good to see you here.  I never did find that old water tank.  Maybe it will turn up if my dad ever cleans out the basement at the lake house.   But, I think it is long gone. 

I tried linking the pics hosted from imagestation.com but it didn't work either.  Must because of the password.  Oh well.  If someone wants to see I posted the link so they can check them out.  Nice to see all the older Formulas (and Donzis) here. 

Brent

DavidK
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 16 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote DavidK

Back to Top Printable version View DavidK's Profile Search for other posts by DavidK

bluesfan550
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 19 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote bluesfan550

I have a 1968 233 with only 1147 hours on her since she was new.  It has the factory 427 c. i.  chevrolet engine with the heavy duty #3 outdrive . It  has factory electric ski rope retriever reels and ribbed teak inner walls which compliments the original white ribbed flooring. I lucked out and rescued  her from a boat salvage yard for a song . I had to rebuild the outdrive .(it took me 6 months as some parts were hard to find) but its a done deal  . i could not ask for a better performing boat  the ride and performance is better than most new boats and people are amazed that this boat is 36 years old.  I placed pictures in yahoo briefcase try: http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/r.smith1949@sbcglobal.net

Edited by bluesfan550 on 09 January 2005 at 11:29pm

Back to Top Printable version View bluesfan550's Profile Search for other posts by bluesfan550

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 20 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

How fortunate!

David,

We're looking forward to pics!  Send 'em along and stay in touch...
I was wondering if you got it b/c you know boats that well or if you had people with you who did and if you got a survey for it.

Hopefully, you're somewhere where you can splash it this time of year... 

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 20 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

bluesfan,

Have you been to the Vintage Formula section of Formula's site?

DavidK
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 20 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote DavidK

Double E -  I did all the research myself.  Found the nicest on the market, had the hull and engines surveyed and the seller managed to avoid the broker cost.  Some of these brokers are pretty shady folks.  I had driven 4 hours to look at boats the broker said was excellent, only to find the boat had been sunk.  I know - crazy of me not to ask specifically if the thing had ever sat on the ocean floor!
Back to Top Printable version View DavidK's Profile Search for other posts by DavidK

bluesfan550
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 20 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote bluesfan550

233 Double E wrote:

bluesfan,

Have you been to the Vintage Formula section of Formula's site?

Back to Top Printable version View bluesfan550's Profile Search for other posts by bluesfan550

bluesfan550
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 20 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote bluesfan550

233 Double E, yes but that site dosn't go back far enough to cover my boat,  although  Fintage  is alot like mine except mine is all yellow on bottom . tried posting some pictures but all i got was an x by the start of my message will try other avenues tonight

Edited by bluesfan550 on 21 December 2004 at 8:23pm

Dick_F233
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 21 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Dick_F233

Great job, bluesfan550

Your boat looks great!

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 18:27
Back to Top Printable version View Dick_F233's Profile Search for other posts by Dick_F233

74Formula233
"Seaman"

Posted: December 30 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 74Formula233

blues, I can't view your pic.....

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 18:29

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 30 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

I was able to see them on his yahoo site.  I just c&p'd the address he gave above (page 4) into the browser and let it load up. 

74 Formula 233 will really appreciate it.

So Bluesfan...How did you get that trailer to look so nice afterwards?  Did the work yourself?

]
] ]
12 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version