View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Formula/Thunderbird
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Formula/Thunderbird
Subject Topic: Outboard bracket for a Formula 23 Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Abuelo
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 12 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Abuelo

I am thinking of putting two 200 otuboards in my Formula 233 '71 - what size of bracket is the right one - 
Back to Top Printable version View Abuelo's Profile Search for other posts by Abuelo

RJH10
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 16 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote RJH10

Hi Aubelo ,, I have a 1983 FORMULA 26' SC  ,,,,  i have considered hanging an engine bracket on mine ,, i have talked to the FORMULA ENGINEERS and they said they had never heard of anyone putting outboards on a FORMULA but wanted me to let them know how it turned out ... not sure about your model but on mine and most FORMULA's you will notice where the outdrive(s) come through the transom that area is quite a bit thicker so the outdrives has some meat to bolt through and handle the weight of the outdrives where the gimbles mount up to the transom .....  i have 2 inboards on mine currently....... i want to replace them since this is a FORMULA i am restoring from the hull up.... i have talked to the people at

ARMSTRONG NAUTICAL & STAINLESS MARINE they make custom outboard brackets for hanging outboards ....  They have a kit for you to measure your boats transom so the bracket will cover the hole where the outdrive(s) came though the transom and will meet the curvature of the transom....  i have a 28' PERFORMER the has 2 YAMAHA 250"s hanging on a ARMSTRONG BRACKET ,, THE BOAT IS WONDERFUL ..... the boat was designed for inboard/outboard motors from the factory, so it is built out around the outdrives the same way....but mine never had the transom cut out at the factory...  but the bracket is custom fitted around the transom hull area......  i have had mine that way for 12 years now and i have never had a problem with mine .......  let me know how your turns out or if i can help in any way .!!! 

Back to Top Printable version View RJH10's Profile Search for other posts by RJH10

stevendonato
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 23 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote stevendonato

hi RJH10,

I saw a 25 ft Formula SC with a Merc outboard conversion don in Miami. I know this is quite a different hull than the 26 but I have seen it done. (PS Formula did have outboards but onlu on their walkarond model in the early 80's), I saw the outboard conversion on a 25 SC for sale at boattraderonline.com  I also would like to hang twin 4stroke 130 Yamahas or SUZUKI's,  off a 23 or 25 ft 1981-1985 Formula SC cabin crusier replacing the 260 merc. please keep me posted if you do the conversion.      Steve.....

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 13:12
Back to Top Printable version View stevendonato's Profile Search for other posts by stevendonato

RJH10
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 27 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote RJH10

HI STEVE..I HAVE A 1983 26 PC ...I RECENTLY GOT IT FROM A FRIEND..IT HAD BEEN SITTNG IN A BACK YARD ON A TRAILER FOR ABOUT 15 YEARS THAT I KNOW OF...... THE HULL IS IN GREAT SHAPE STRUCTURLY.. BUT EVERYTHING ABOARD WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED...IT WILL ALSO NEED TO HAVE A NEW PAINT JOB ..  A LOT OF TIME & WORK TO BE DONE AND A LOT OF MONEY TO BE SPENT . !!!(lol)  .......  BUT I THINK THAT IN THE END IT WILL BE WORTH THE EFFORT....I AM LOOKING AT A 2 TO 3 YEAR PROJECT MAINLY DUE TO TIME IT WILL TAKE TO DUE IT RIGHT ...LUCKY I HAVE A COUPLE OF OTHER BOATS & JET SKIS TO KEEP ME ON THE WATER MEAN WHILE .... WHAT YEAR IS YOUR FORMULA ???  I WILL POST A COUPLE OF PICS TO SHOW YOU ,,  YOU DO THE SAME IF POSSIBLE..   TAKE CARE AND TALK AT YOU SOON !! RJH 

Back to Top Printable version View RJH10's Profile Search for other posts by RJH10

kitebuz
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 27 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote kitebuz

Abuelo - I got a '73 233F in Oct. that came w/ twin 1991 Evinrude 120 VRO's (disconnected) on a bracket.  I have seen it one a few others as well.

Here are a few good reads on the topic:
http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=47079 &start=1&highlight=formula&highlightmode=1

http://thehulltruth.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=83178& ; ; ;posts=12#M851274

I hope it's ok to post links to other forums...

The bracket on my boat is custom, and it sits on the wide section of the transom.  RJ is right, you would have to either fair the transom to fit a full width bracket, or customize the bracket to fit.  You could also just go w/out the platforms to either side of the main bracket like mine.

I've heard good things about these guys:
http://www.dadmarine.com/

and this outfit has done several for Seacraft 23's which be similar enough to work on the Formula 23:
http://www.hermco.net

My 120's weigh 370lbs each.  If I were to repower today, and $$ was no object, I would likely go w/ e-tec 200's as they are 425lbs.  I have seen an Albemarle 242 (same hull) w/ twin Yam 250 SWII's on the back as well.  The beauty is you get about 1 engines worth of flotation out of a twin bracket.  The ride is great, and it's nice to open up the cockpit.

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 13:14
Back to Top Printable version View kitebuz's Profile Search for other posts by kitebuz

RJH10
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 27 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote RJH10

hi kitebuzz...  NICE LOOKING FORMULA !!! RJH

thanks for the threads.....good reading info .....

kitebuz
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 28 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote kitebuz

Thanks, RJH!  I'm thrilled with it, and can't wait to get more time on the water when things warm up around here (MA). 
Back to Top Printable version View kitebuz's Profile Search for other posts by kitebuz

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version