Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Murray Chris Craft Constellations
Pages 1 2 3 4 ... 149 » 150
Last Post By: David Ross

Posted: March 14 2014 at: 17:23

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

View Last Post 1963 Constellation 42
Last Post By: eshover

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:19

View Last Post 2000 Gulfstream 232
Last Post By: DanDDan
Forum: Grady-White

Posted: January 30 2014 at: 11:01

View Last Post Catalina Owners
Pages 1 2 3 4 ... 191 » 192
Last Post By: Happy Hour III

Posted: January 18 2014 at: 20:11

View Last Post 50 amp question
Last Post By: Pats2nd Connie

Posted: January 13 2014 at: 17:57

View Last Post Leaving boat
Last Post By: Pats2nd Connie

Posted: January 13 2014 at: 08:17

]
] ]

Formula/Thunderbird
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Formula/Thunderbird
Subject Topic: 67 Thunderbird "Flipper Boat" Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
sturgeon_genral
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 20 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote sturgeon_genral

I just bought a 20' '67 Thunderbird cathedral hull, Not sure of the model.
It has a small cuddy & Buick V-6/ OMC outdrive.It's in great overall shape,
except for a spongy cockpit deck. Any suggestions on replacing or
repairing the deck?
THANKS!!
Back to Top Printable version View sturgeon_genral's Profile Search for other posts by sturgeon_genral

KeithO
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 25 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote KeithO

Hi there,

I'm beginning to think I'm the world's number one "Flipper boat" fan - 40 years after I sat glued to the TV ogling the TBird I tracked one down (not too easy when you live in South Africa and the boats are all stateside!) and as I write it's on the way to me on a ship in the Atlantic somewhere.

So that said, if you send me a picture of your boat I'll be able to tell you which model you've got (kro@telkomsa.net). (I suspect it's a Cheyenne or Comanche - the "Flipper" boat was an Iroquois - originally a 64 model until the last dozen or so episodes, then replaced with a 67)

As for the floor you've got two options - one easy, one hard!

You could just "double" it, i.e. add another layer of marine ply (3/8ths or 1/2inch), or else you'll need to strip out what's there to get at the stringers (i.e. floor beams) which I suspect are rotten and have given way.  Replacing these is a bit of a mission as they will be glassed-in, but again you can just double these by laying a matching timber along the existing component and stiffing-up the whole shebang by cross-scewing and/or glassing up.   Wooden hull frames have been repaired this way for years, so the method is certainly robust enough for a floor.

Good luck!

Back to Top Printable version View KeithO's Profile Search for other posts by KeithO

Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 26 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Cuda

I don't know if you ever go to Offshore Only dot Com, but I started a Flipper boat thread there that wouldn't die.  Lots of people had input on it.  One thing I do know is the Flipper boat had twin I/O's.

Back to Top Printable version View Cuda's Profile Search for other posts by Cuda

KeithO
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 27 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote KeithO

You're dead right, twin OMCs I think (I know the outdrives were white, so that made them OMC?).  

Being slightly nuts I'm doing a restoration on my Iroquois to the full "Flipper" look.   I'm in touch with Miami Seaquarium, the people who now own the rights to the original TV series , and the son of Richard Cole the (late) designer of the Iroquois - have had a huge amount of help from all sorts of people.  It's amazing how much interest that boat still generates, but then I only ever watched the show for the boat - damn dolphin drove me nuts!

Back to Top Printable version View KeithO's Profile Search for other posts by KeithO

Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 27 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Cuda

I think there's some argument that Merc drives were white in that period.  When I get home this evening, I'll see if I can find that thread.

Back to Top Printable version View Cuda's Profile Search for other posts by Cuda

KeithO
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 27 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote KeithO

I spoke to Thunderbird during my research, but their records only go back to 1972!  In 1972 they were using both Merc & OMC engines.   The very first reference I saw to the "Flipper" boat was on an OMC website, so that kind of makes me think they were OMC

KeithO
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 11 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote KeithO

Many thanks!

Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 14 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Cuda

I saw a Flipper boat on Lake George this weekend.  I forget what year he said it was, but I think it was a 67.  This one had a single six I/O.

KeithO
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 14 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote KeithO

Thanks for posting the pic. Yep, that's a 67 Iroquois.  As I think I've already said on another thread the early episodes of Flipper used a 64 (which may have only been 20ft), but the last dozen or so episodes used the 67 (the main differences are the 67 has a proper little cabin, and twin portholes). It's amazing that 40years on people still call this model the "Flipper" boat - I thought I was the only one until I fell across fellow fans on the Net!  I wonder how many are left afloat? I know of mine, one in Florida, this one, and possibly Strugeon General's.

If you want real trivia I can tell you that in "Flipper & The Fugitive" the show opens with the 64 being secured for a storm, but then the boat they are cleaning up after the blow is the 67, then Porter Ricks is seen driving the 64, which turns back into a 67!  I noticed that - does that make me a sad bastard or what!!??

sturgeon_genral
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 12 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote sturgeon_genral

Thanks for all the input. I'm too anxious to hit the water - I think I'll wait til spring to tear into the deck. My deck is full of patched over holes where someone filled it with flotation - was this done from the factory, or by some hillbilly?
I've been trying to upload a picture of my boat - don't know if I did it right. 
Back to Top Printable version View sturgeon_genral's Profile Search for other posts by sturgeon_genral

sturgeon_genral
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 24 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote sturgeon_genral

Here's a couple of "Flipper-Boats" for sale, if anyone's interested:

http://www.craigslist.org/sby/boa/119129268.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewItem&item=5644218606&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3A MEWA%3AIT
&rd=1

danboat
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 08 2006 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote danboat

Well....here you have another "flipper Boat" freak.....I've been nosing around for the last year and this is the best info I've seen.....Unfortunately I remember seeing (2) Thunderbirds in the Detroit Area..One was a 64, because it was smaller and the other was the 67 Iroquois....I've not seen them in 10 years and now they'r gone....If they were still where they were, I'd grab the 67 and spend whatever it took to restore it...One classic boat!

Back to Top Printable version View danboat's Profile Search for other posts by danboat

Trish dougherty
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 18 2006 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Trish dougherty

I spoke to Thunderbird during my research, but their records only go back to 1972!  In 1972 they were using both Merc & OMC engines.   The very first reference I saw to the "Flipper" boat was on an OMC website, so that kind of makes me think they were OMC

there is a parts drawing break down for upper gearcase high profile and transom parts if its an old OMC stringer drive at <link removed> hope this help Trish

ps i use to have one engine parts i got came from a jeep v 6 engine but now have much newer 1974 sea ray to play with now

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 17:37
Back to Top Printable version View Trish dougherty's Profile Search for other posts by Trish dougherty

KeithO
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 19 2006 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote KeithO

My Iroquois has arrived!!  40years on from days in front of the TV she's now in my drive. Bit of cosmetic work to do (as always) but generally sound. As so often with used boats the previous owner seems to have just walked away leaving all his gear in board - must be $1000 worth of binoculars, lines, clothes (Ralph Lauren wet-weather gear!), CDs, fenders, etc etc -bonus!!

funnyboy
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 19 2006 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote funnyboy

Keith-

Congrats!  Can you post some pictures?

John

Back to Top Printable version View funnyboy's Profile Search for other posts by funnyboy

KeithO
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 19 2006 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote KeithO

Hi John,

I tried earlier, but didn't seem to work! With a size limit of 15kb I end up with a little blob. Can anyone tell me how to create a url for a proper photo, and use that function in the "post" menu?

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 20 2006 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

Keith, go to the initial beginning thread for the Formula section here from user Aftermath:

http://my.boatus.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48707&PN= 2

Add your info there if you'd like as well and be sure to look through the threads for the history of our group here.

Back to Top Printable version View 233 Double E's Profile Search for other posts by 233 Double E

embibb
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 24 2010 at 20:26 | IP Logged Quote embibb

I have loved this boat even has as kid.  I read an article in the DIY boats mag back in 06  of a guy in South Africa who found the original thunderbird Iroquois featured in the series.
The writer indicated the vessel was a single OMC I/O.   I always remembered the boat having twin Merc I/Os.  Recently, I found a promo pic with the actors on board and powered by twin Merc I/Os. 

Edited by embibb on January 25 2010 at 00:32
Back to Top Printable version View embibb's Profile Search for other posts by embibb

Tiger
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 16 2011 at 19:37 | IP Logged Quote Tiger

Iroquois owners!

I would love to make contact with you. I have also have a Thunderbird Iroquois. I would like to share my photos and share with you. 

Jeff "Tiger" Bewkes, Medford, Oregon, Tigersmail@msn.com

I wonder how many are left?

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version