View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Formula/Thunderbird
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Formula/Thunderbird
Subject Topic: Inaccessible Compartments Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Owen
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 01 2006 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Owen

I have a 2000 31PC that sprung a leak under the galley. There are numerous inaccessible compartments that now likely contain fresh water. I tend to agree with Pascoe's rant on this subject and feel that Formula should provide either drainage between the stringers and/or access to hidden compartments (and perhaps discontinue use quick connect plumbing - I had another elbow fail at the hot water heater) but they don't.

So, I'm thinking about getting a hole saw and installing small 4" deck plates like the ones used elsewhere on the boat to provide access to these areas. One question I have is can the West Marine ($10) variety support someone standing on them or should I use stainless steel or brass. They are under the carpet in most cases so I don't really care what they look like. The other question is does Formula use foam in the concealed compartments? Any other considerations before I start drilling in to the cabin floor?

Owen.  

Back to Top Printable version View Owen's Profile Search for other posts by Owen

80FORMULA F20CL
"Seaman"

Posted: February 06 2006 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 80FORMULA F20CL

Owen,

I have a much older Formula than you I have a 1980 F20, but have run into the same problem with Compartments that have no Access what so ever.  I found the rear stringer on the Stbd side was bad. When I removed the deck over that area, I found the Foam Floatation between Stbd stringer and the chine was completely soaked the entire length of the boat and was what caused the stringer to rot.  I removed 15 large lawn and leaf bags of soaking wet foam from that area, which in my estimation had to weigh 400 pounds.

I replaced the stringer on that side in the rear, which is about 4 ft long and is the side of the engine compartment.  I also made a sister stringer, which I bolted and epoxied to the main stringer, which had a little damage (which was removed), but didn't warrent complete replacement.  The deck on that side which was in good condition was screwed and glassed back in place and now has two of the round hatches you speak about so I can see what is going on down there.  I will probobly do the other side as soon as weather permits, mainly to get that foam out of there which I am sure is wet, even though that stringer does not show as much damage.

This is really a poor design and is what is the cause of much of the stringer rot that you read about in this board. I have read Pascoe's rant, many times and the diagram that he shows looks exactly what my situation was.  I am not going to replace the foam, as wet as it was it did nothing but add weight as well as cause a lot of damage anyhow.  After looking at newer Formulas that friends have, they are still using this poor design which is disapointing for such an otherwise well built boat.

I would suggest that you install as many of those deck plates as you can, not only for access so you can see what is going on, but you can leave them out if your not useing the boat for some time just to get some venatation in that area. Also look on ebay, I have purchased 8" dia for about 5-6 dollars a piece. But to answer your question, yes they do use foatation in these sealed compartments, and its a big problem, especially when you get fresh water in there. Good luck and let me know haow you make out.

Thanks,Butch

Back to Top Printable version View 80FORMULA F20CL's Profile Search for other posts by 80FORMULA F20CL

Owen
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 14 2006 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Owen

Thanks for the info. Replacing stringers on a 31PC would be no small task. Hopefully that's not necessary. I would have thought the foam would not hold water. I can't see the advantage to using it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Owen.

Back to Top Printable version View Owen's Profile Search for other posts by Owen

80FORMULA F20CL
"Seaman"

Posted: February 14 2006 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 80FORMULA F20CL

Owen,

Supposedly the later foam is called Closed Cell Foam and will not absorb water, which is not correct.  I just visited a friends boat shop who had a 2001 Sea Ray, I believe was 31 ft and the foam in that was as soaked as mine was. It was due to a poor design of where the shower, AC and sink in the head all drained into an area of the bilge which was not draining into the main part of the bilge, all due to a clogged drain, a very poor design for a fairly expensive boat.  

He has to replace a large portion of the deck, a stringer and two bulkheads that were just mush.  All this due to fresh water, if it had been salt water it probobly would not have been as bad.

Good luck,

Butch

Back to Top Printable version View 80FORMULA F20CL's Profile Search for other posts by 80FORMULA F20CL

kauaiman
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 17 2006 at 12:12 | IP Logged Quote kauaiman

I have a 1999 34PC. The water heater cannot br removed unless you remove the manifold and riser from the starboard side of the starboard engine. I had to replace mine. Instead of replacing the whole unit, I was able to just remove the tank assembly. When I called Formula, they didn't know that is what you have to do to perform that operation.
Back to Top Printable version View kauaiman's Profile Search for other posts by kauaiman

2shotz
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 31 2007 at 22:30 | IP Logged Quote 2shotz

I have a 1997 31PC and constantly had a small amount of water in the bilge. After realizing many of the cockpit drains flow right to the bilge and not overboard. I have since installed two shower sumps and it corrected the problem. Even the cockpit sink drained into the bilge. When I had the boat surveyed I had a slightly high moisture level at the stringers.
Back to Top Printable version View 2shotz's Profile Search for other posts by 2shotz

SettinHook
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 09 2007 at 17:44 | IP Logged Quote SettinHook

If you were to remove the foam and install some rod lockers would it cause the boat to perform different? I have to replace the deck on my 1983 F-20 SC so I thought about adding some storage by carving out some foam?

Back to Top Printable version View SettinHook's Profile Search for other posts by SettinHook

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version