|Posted: September 06 2013 at 10:55 | IP Logged
About two weeks ago I had a major battle with my genny. The water pump quit abruptly but (fortunately) the overheat shutdown worked and shut the engine down before any damage was done. Genny water pump problems are usually due to leaky gaskets or worn out impellers. It's happened several times in the past.
So I bought a new set of gaskets and a new impeller at West Marine for about $35 and installed them. But the pump still didn't work. It only produced a trickle of water. After about a week of testing and retesting I finally called in my mechanic (Bob Granados). I was lucky and he was able to come the next morning.
After about an hour of checking he produced an answer; Your water pump is toast! The mechanical parts of the pump were just so far worn down that gaskets and impellers or other fixes just weren't going to work.
I ordered a new pump on the web for $360 and it arrived the following day. One more day and I had it installed and it was running effectively. The genny is now producing a real gusher of cooling water.
I don't like to call in the mechanics unless it's absolutely necessary. They cost money! But sometimes you have to call them. Bob has been my regular mechanic for about ten years now and I've always felt that I got my money's worth out of his repairs.
I haven't been posting much lately due to the very anemic activity on this site. I've been trying to set up a new Connie forum on the Chris Craft Catalina site. It's a good site but has far too many regulations; don't think I can make it work.
This is still the best boating forum on the web but unfortunately the requirement that you be a Boat US member in order to post on it has killed it. In the meantime, I've been making up a new mailing list so that if I find a new site for a Constellation forum I'll be able to notify the other Connie owners of its existance.
PS: Last week the tachometer on the starboard engine started reading only half of the actual rpms. This led to a major overhaul of the engine wiring system from the FB to the bilge. The problem was that the wiring was poorly secured and one of the spade type connectors had pulled out and shorted out several of the engine circuits. The temperature gauge wiring was also completely burned out. Happy to say that it's al been fixed and the engine gauges are reading more accurately than ever before.
A Murray Chris Craft Constellation 500