|Posted: October 18 2011 at 12:58 | IP Logged
I have "completed" the Stbd Window project. Why the ""s? Well, when I tried to remove it to re-do the caulking, I discovered that 3M has an interesting definition of the words "non-permanent". I loosened the top seam and the window would not budge. And I mean not a millimeter. I pulled the frame out just enough to get another bead of 3M 4000 back in there and screwed it in using #10 screws (the originals are #8). Got the "bead up" when it compressed and I am sure that not only does it not leak, but that the bond may outlive me. There is still a bit of cleanup to do, but I decare the project a success.
I also had someone come and look at the genset yesterday since it is located in an area not easy for a 6'4" tall 350# guy to get to. He had it up and running in about 2 hours. Replaced the water pump impeller while he was at it. I think the cost was worth my not having to wrestle myself down in there! Now we will be able to participate in the light parade since we have 110V power when underway.
We have decided to wait on the headliner and refurb the exterior fiberglass first. I have contracted a professional to do the work since I have calculated that it will be 100-150 hours of work. Which means it will take me until retirement to get it done myself. He is going to wetsand the entire shell with 1500 grit paper, compound it, wax it, and buff it out. I saw some of his work last weekend and it was amazing. While he is at it, I am going to have him replace the striping on the cabin sides that is pretty sad. I'll try and get some photos up of before and after to share with you all.
JimInFla - Jacksonville, FL
"The Hard Six"
1986 Catalina 293 Express