] ]

] ] ]
Welcome Guest ]
] ]

] ] ]
Site Navigation ]
] ]

] ] ]
Top 10 Recent Posts ]
View Last Post fuel gauge
Last Post By: Bunka
Forum: Mainship

Posted: August 25 2015 at: 00:12

View Last Post Mainship pilot 30
Last Post By: Bunka
Forum: Mainship

Posted: August 17 2015 at: 06:52

View Last Post Rosborough Ltd Links
Last Post By: Trawler
Forum: Rosborough

Posted: July 31 2015 at: 11:56

View Last Post Bridge electrical problem
Last Post By: Summer Kamp
Forum: Carver

Posted: June 15 2015 at: 19:19

View Last Post Dead Forum?
Last Post By: BudMan53
Forum: CraigCat

Posted: May 30 2015 at: 18:51

View Last Post Transducer location
Last Post By: BudMan53
Forum: CraigCat

Posted: May 23 2015 at: 18:48

View Last Post New (used) CraigCat owner!
Last Post By: BudMan53
Forum: CraigCat

Posted: May 17 2015 at: 19:06

View Last Post Yamaha Links
Last Post By: Ricky242
Forum: Yamaha

Posted: February 21 2015 at: 13:13

Last Post By: jim paluszynski
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 21 2015 at: 09:12

View Last Post Sportcraft Links
Last Post By: jdabbott58
Forum: Sportcraft

Posted: January 21 2015 at: 09:40

] ]
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Uniflite
Subject Topic: To replace a sliding window... Post ReplyPost New Topic
] ] ]
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 

Joined: December 14 2006
Posts: 46
Posted: August 25 2011 at 16:42 | IP Logged Quote BoatRDavid

In the saloon of my 1984, 42 SE (DCMY), I have a sliding window that
exploded into tiny pieces.  It scared the hell out of my wife when it
happened.  I had a new piece of glass made and since I am a do-it-
myself kinda guy, I am trying to do the replacement.  I have
purchased a replacement piece of glass with a hole for the handle.
For conformation and reference, I have been looking at a 1979, 28' Uni
that has the same style windows.

There is what I will call an aluminum trim in the shape of a trapezoid
that appears to hold the two pieces of glass in place.  It is obvious
that the replacement will have to come from the outside, and the
sliding piece that is the object of this job is on the inside, behind
(or on the inside of) a fixed piece (also a trapezoid).  Since the
sliding piece being replaced over laps the fixed piece, the fixed
piece will have to be moved out of the way temporarily.

The trim is one and three quarter inches wide and is held on with 30+ self-tapping screws.
I have removed the screws and started working on the 17 feet of 27+-
year-old bedding compound.  I've used heat, a putty knife and a hammer
and so far nothing is moving.  The compound is gray and still soft,
but very sticky (or should I say, firm).

I'm at the point where I am looking for someone that can do this R & R
for me.  I'm not against hiring someone as long as they are competent,
i.e. they know what they are doing.  I am in the San Francisco Bay
or more specifically in the San Joaquin Delta area (Northern

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to proceed or who to


David M. Oates

42 Uniflite SE II, Adventure
San Francisco Bay Area
Back to Top Printable version View BoatRDavid's Profile Search for other posts by BoatRDavid
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

  Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
Printable version Printable version
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
] ]

] ] ]
©2015, Boat Owners Association of The United States. All Rights Reserved.
This page was generated in 0.8911 seconds.
] ]