View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Navigator
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Navigator
Subject Topic: cockpit enclosure for a 53’ Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
newboatcindy
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 01 2011 at 18:27 | IP Logged Quote newboatcindy

anyone have suggestions for enclosing the cockpot on a 53 foot Navigator. Has anyone found a way to create an extension of the flybridge backwards that could be easily taken down for fishing?    Thanks,   Cindy

Captain Art
"Seaman"

Posted: June 01 2011 at 19:54 | IP Logged Quote Captain Art

Hi Cindy,

Although our Navigator is a 48, I've seen the 53 with a full enclosure surrounding the cockpit. A good canvas person can create an enclosure with panels that zip open and can be rolled up and secured for fishing. The remainder of the time it would make a nice little extra enclosed space.

As far as extending the flybridge, I'm not sure what you mean? Perhaps you could elaborate.

My best,

Captain Art

Navigator 48 "True North," Channel Islands Harbor, CA

Navi-53
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 03 2011 at 09:06 | IP Logged Quote Navi-53

Hi Cindy, how long have you had your Navigator 53 for and what do
you love about it the best? I'm in the process of importing a 1999
navigator 53 down under into Australia and I am keen to hear some
of the good and bad points about this model.

newboatcindy
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 14 2011 at 22:23 | IP Logged Quote newboatcindy

Captain Art

I mean to "extend" the flybridge with a type of bimini cover at the back edge of the flybridge so the stern side of the enclosure can come straight down versus slanting down.   Thanks

Navi-53

We have owned this boat for a year now and it is also a 99.  My husband and I love the open layout and the good visability from both helm stations. We had previously owned a 50' navigator and when we sold it we looked at a lot of different boats inc Ocean Alexander, Symbol, McKinna, Sonship, Hampton, Offshore, Carver, to nome a few. We always came back to the amount of space on the Nav. as we intend to live aboard. No doubt other boats are better made however we felt like we got a lot for the money and won't be in debt!!!

The previous owner made some great modifications to our boat. He removed the flybridge windscreen and redid it with a forward slant instead of backwards, this adds a lot of space and allowed installation of a really nice ''tower" instead of a traditional bimini. He also moved the forward facing flybridge seats forward allowing the boom for the dinghy to lay flat next to the dinghy, He enclosed (with fiberglass)  the sides of the flybridge around the seats which keeps it drier and cleaner. My husband and I are in the process of replacing the helm seat now as it was not comfortable for a week long trip. We love our flybridge! Good luck with your boat. Unfortunately ours will never make it to New Zealand.  

Cindy

Captain Art
"Seaman"

Posted: June 15 2011 at 12:17 | IP Logged Quote Captain Art

Hi Cindy,

I believe the best way to accomplish what you would like, would be to have a canvas top maker fabricate a stainless frame to extend out over the back end of the flybridge. I saw this done on my friends 60' Hatteras convertible. That way, you could have the canvas drop straight down and attached to the transom with snaps. By adding entry points (zippered openings) and eisenglass windows, it would create another room.

My best,

Captain Art   

CleatUs2
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 08 2011 at 19:38 | IP Logged Quote CleatUs2

Cindy, thanks for sharing the information and improvements that you and the previous owners have made.  We also have a 53 Navigator classic and love getting new ideas on how to improve it.  We are also either in need of re-uphulster(sp?) on our helm chair or replacing it completely, so if you could pass on any information on your replacement chair, that would be great.   We have many other questions/ideas but will save those for separate threads.

I do hope this forum can grow as I know there are many happy Navigator owners out there who would love to exchange information.

Anyway, thanks for the info and enjoy your season!

-Billy

newboatcindy
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 19 2011 at 22:15 | IP Logged Quote newboatcindy

Billy

We found our "new" used helm seat at a boat yard sale for $150. It's the type a lot of small fishing boats use where the seat back can be switched to allow you to face forward or if entertaining it can be flipped to let you face the other seats on the flybridge. It is higher than the previous helm seat and more comfortable for us. We did have to have our stainless guy modify the base of it to work on the deck of our boat. Now  we are trying to figure out how to have him add drink holders!

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version