View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Californian
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Californian
Subject Topic: DIRECT TV and my Satelite Antenna System Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
rjrtrg
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 03 2011 at 11:44 | IP Logged Quote rjrtrg

I have had Direct TV service on my boat for six years [since I bought the boat with a Satelite Dish on the mast]. I have paid and they were happy to take the money. The service address was my marina slip and that the service was on a boat was obvious. As part of my remodel this year I wanted to upgrade to an HD Dome Antenna system, and because of the age of my Direct TV equipment [not HD] I contacted Direct TV, told them of my plans and asked them if I was entitled to an upgrade to an HD/DVR receiver if I proceeded with the upgrade. I also told them that I was going to increase from one TV to two new Digital HD TVs. They said great, buy the 2d receiver at Best Buys and when I was ready, they would install the new HD/DVR at no cost to me.

I proceeded to purchase and install a new HD Dome Satelite Antenna system, hook it up to one of my new TVs [it worked for regular TV nut I could not get HD channels. I called Direct TV and told them that I was ready for the New equipment installation [the HD/DVR receiver] and made an appointment for them to come to the boat. When they eventually arrived, the installer told me that he was only authorized to install equipment in a home setting, not on a boat. I spoke to his boss who said that they were not told it was a boat installation [he was a contract installer chosen by Direct TV] and referred me to Direct TV. When I called them they said, SORRY, they don't do boats unless you have a fixed satelite dish on the dock [this is not allowed by LA Couinty, the owners of Marina Del Rey]. Then I found out that even if you did what they said, they would not take an install order from a Boat owner. Also, HD Channels were now on a new satelite and Boat owners who had previous service with a fixed antenna system could no longer get HD from Direct TV [no notification was ever given to subscribers] and they are still advertising their service in Boat magazines. I just read that in Illinois, Direct TV just agreed to pay $13.3 million in Civil penalties and costs for misleading sales and marketing practices.

Angry Because of their representations, I spent a lot of time and $$$ only to be treated rudely and blown off with an 'it's your problem not ours' from a supervisor.

I now have installed Dish TV service, HD/Digital but no DVR. I am paying more but I have the service that I wanted, along with decent service from the Dish TV seller/installer.Smile

California Yacht Club
Marina Del Rey, California
Back to Top Printable version View rjrtrg's Profile Search for other posts by rjrtrg

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version