View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Silverton
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Silverton
Subject Topic: Wannabee Boater; Yikes! Which Silverton? Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
cully1019
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 13 2010 at 10:12 | IP Logged Quote cully1019

Hi All,

My husband and I have never owned a boat.  We were introduced to the boating community in the Spring and really like all the people we've been meeting and have been searching for a boat the last couple of months.  We really like Silvertons and have found two that we like but can't decide which one to go with.  A real dilemma!   I'm hoping for some input / opinions from all of you that own Silvertons.  We have two children (boy-14 and girl-12) so our preference is a 2-stateroom boat (one with bunks or singles).  The two boats we're looking at are:

1990 Silverton 34 Convertible Flybridge (located in Baltimore).  Although this particular model year only had one stateroom, a previous owner converted the dinette area in this boat into a stateroom with bunks.  So no dinette, but we have the 2nd stateroom.

1992 Silverton 34.5 Convertible Flybridge (located in Florida).  Has a dinette plus the two staterooms (one with bunks).  However, we live in the Baltimore vicinity. Evidently, this boat is too tall to be transported easily by road so we would have to hire a captain to transport it from FL to MD.  Makes me nervous!

The 1992 boat would cost an additional $14,000 (including transportation).

My question -- finally -- is would you purchase a boat that would require hiring a captain for transportation and incurring the additional transportation charges, or would you purchase the boat that is close to home (even though you like the far away boat better)??

Sorry for the extremely long post, but we're feeling a little overwhelmed.  Any input or advice you can provide would be most appreciated!

wdbox
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 13 2010 at 10:39 | IP Logged Quote wdbox

Do not be concerned about the trip from FL up to MD. It is a piece of cake. However, before you buy anything, be sure and get a complete survey. It will be worth every penny. Assuming similiar equipment, engines and a clean survey report you are most likely better off with the later model.
Back to Top Printable version View wdbox's Profile Search for other posts by wdbox

joepete
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 13 2010 at 12:09 | IP Logged Quote joepete

I concur with buying the newer model with the two staterooms.  Consider negotiating with the seller for sharing the cost of the transfer to MD.  It is better and safer to transfer via water, rather than overland.  As a long time boat owner, I would relish the opportunity to make the trip via water to get to know all about the new boat.  In your case consider hiring a licensed boat captain to accompany you on the trip, so as to learn from an experienced professional.  Good luck and have fun!
Back to Top Printable version View joepete's Profile Search for other posts by joepete

cully1019
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 13 2010 at 16:12 | IP Logged Quote cully1019

Thank you so much for your feedback. I feel much better about transporting the boat via water.  We can't wait to be boaters!

BrianAzar
Admin

Admin

Posted: August 13 2010 at 16:14 | IP Logged Quote BrianAzar

I agree with both these members. I am not familiar with
Silverton, but the drive from FL (whether East Coast or
West Coast) is a great ride, and like joepete said, a great
way to get to know the boat; what she can do, what she
can handle, how you'll like living on her, and most
importantly: what she can't do or handle. Ask
around for what some captains would recommend and if
they do different deals depending on what you want
(delivery vs. on the water instruction like joepete said).

BoatUS has a directory of captains shown by region here:
Boat
US Pro Captains Directory
if you want to try to find a
captain. But, this list does not contain every single captain
in the US, only those who choose to be a part of the
directory.

wdbox
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 14 2010 at 09:51 | IP Logged Quote wdbox

If you decide to buy the FL boat and have some spare time my suggestion would be to move onto the boat and hire someone local to spend a few days with you as you make some short trips in the local area. Driving the boat on the ICW is easy, it is the details that take so getting used to. Handling the lines and docking require the most practice, if you can read a map you can navigate. When in doubt, go slower when you think you are going slow enough, go slower.

If you can live on the boat for a bit you will get familiar with the systems and also give them a good workout. This way you can get whatever breaks or does not work repaired before you head north.  And believe me, this is a boat, something will break or quit. It is just the nature of the beast.

The most important things that you will need for the trip, aside from gas money, are a working chartplotter, depth sounder VHF and charts for the waterway (stay out of the ocean on your first trip). Depending on where the boat is in FL you will need either three or four Chartkits to get up to the Baltimore area. Your charts and chartplotter chip must be up to date. This will cost a bit but you should not even consider running the boat without up to date nav. data.

As for hiring a professional captain for the trip. I am not sure that you need one. Most delivery captains want to go from A to B as quick as possible. Teaching is generally not high on their list. They will run the boat and get you where you want to go safe, but you will learn a lot more if you do it on your own.

I have made the trip to and from FL at least a dozen times over the years and never had a serious problem. Some of the sounds can get a bit rough when the wind blows. If this happens you can always wait a day or go slower. The primary problem on the ICW is shallow water, however this year most of tthe problem areas have been dredged. Georgia is the exception but the bad areas are well documented. Check out the Salty Southeast Crusiers web site for up to date information, including marinas, fuel prices, navigation data and a lot more.

You might also consider joining the Silverton Qwners Club. The people on that site have a welth of information about anything Silverton ever made.

Back to Top Printable version View wdbox's Profile Search for other posts by wdbox

Bel-Isle
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 22 2011 at 21:50 | IP Logged Quote Bel-Isle

Did you get your Silverton. We bought a 43 Silverton Sport Bridge in March of 2010. We just brought it from Wilmington, NC all the way to Longboat Key, FL. There are areas where you will run aground. You need good electronics and you will be fine. Can give you more specific info if needed. Good Luck, we love our Silverton.

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version