View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Carver
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Carver
Subject Topic: Question about 3007 & Depth Finder Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
bfore
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 22 2010 at 15:57 | IP Logged Quote bfore

To summarize...
I have a 3007 that the depth finder went wrong last year...
I believe it to be the thru-hull transducer has stopped working.
The unit is older, not worth fixing in my opinion (actually not even made anymore)...So I've been looking at options.
After some investigation, replacing with another thru-hull unit would be quite costly (the transducer are very expensive). I am also trying to avoid running a cable all the way to the transom for a transom mount transducer.
Was wondering, as i was given from a friend a in-hull transducer and dash mounted depth sounder, do they work??
Lots of chatter on the net about cored hull vs solid glass...is my boat solid?! I'm not even sure. I could use some advice here....
what to do? and of course, budget is limiting factor these days....

Thanks in advance

Edited by Sonja Lowe on May 27 2014 at 13:53
Back to Top Printable version View bfore's Profile Search for other posts by bfore

glpowercruiser
"Seaman"

Posted: April 23 2010 at 00:01 | IP Logged Quote glpowercruiser

I have a 3207 of the same era and I believe they were built the same, so your 3007 should be cored only on the decks.  The hull is fiberglass, hand laminated with mat and woven roving in alternating layers.  If you have a survey, it will give you the construction, but I can put money down our hulls are the same.  Because of this construction, you should be ok with the "shoot-through the hull" transducer mounted inside your hull.  Make sure the transducer shoots the proper frequency and sends the proper signal for your sonar/fish finder unit.

Here are a few things to consider:  Location - place the new transducer on the other side of the hull (if the current is on the stpd side, install the new on on the port side).  Do this in case you or the next owner wants to add a new thru-hull in place of the old.  Forward looking sonars are getting cheaper and you or a future owner may want one of these units and the best idea is to install it where the old thru-hull is now.  Make sure the new transducer is as far from the original thru-hull transducer so there is less chance of signal interference.  Make sure it is at a location that has undisturbed water at planing speed (though some say shooting straight down may not always serve you well ast planing speeds - too shallow could be too late.  It definitely needs to work at slower speeds).  Installation Testing -  you can test the installation by using a good amount of vaseline to "stick" the transducer temporarily to the inner hull.  Run your boat over good known depths at multiple speeds to test.  Installation - Once you find the best location for best use, you can then clean the bilge area and glue the transducer in.  Many call for epoxy, but some say that silicone works well too or 3M 5200.  If you use epoxy, you can create a dam of silicone, so the epoxy will level.  The whole idea is to stick it so it shoots straight down and has no air bubbles below it.  Contact must be absolutely positive.  Air bubbles below it in the glue material or in that section of the hull layup will negatively affect the "shoot".

Hope this helps.

Back to Top Printable version View glpowercruiser's Profile Search for other posts by glpowercruiser

glpowercruiser
"Seaman"

Posted: April 23 2010 at 00:05 | IP Logged Quote glpowercruiser

Also, watch out for the keel on the boat, you don't want to create a shadow for the side to side beam.

Back to Top Printable version View glpowercruiser's Profile Search for other posts by glpowercruiser

AWBoater
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 23 2010 at 05:25 | IP Logged Quote AWBoater

Perhaps you may want to consider a depth finder using an Airmar P79 transducer. Airmar is OEM for the majority of depth finder instruments, and are available in a wide range of pinouts.

The P79 is probably the most popular in-hull transducer, and consists of a cup that gets siliconed to the hull, then the transducer fits onto the cup.  The cup has no bottom (the hull forming the bottom when it is siliconed).

Then you pour either mineral spirits or pink antifreeze into the cup, and this provides a bath that acoustically couples the transducer to the hull without worry of bubbles in the epoxy, etc.

However, it won't work through a cored hull.  My 1995 era Carver doesn't have a cored hull, but I understand some older Carvers did.

I understand that silicone is preferred as a "glue" in this instance as mineral spirits - if you use them, will attack other materials.  And the beauty of using silicone is that if you find the location is not sufficient, you can move it.

Finally, I located my P-79 transducer just forward of the water inlet on the starboard engine. You have to ensure that nothing disturbs the water flow, and for that reason, with inboard engines, a transom mount transducer is probably not a good location.

www.boat-project.com

bfore
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 23 2010 at 11:16 | IP Logged Quote bfore

I will look into the P79....Thank you...
Also, i am considering (since i have a Hawkeye) doing a dual depth sounder installation....

Back to Top Printable version View bfore's Profile Search for other posts by bfore

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version