View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Thompson Marine
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Thompson Marine
Subject Topic: 288 cruiseing speed Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
escaperoad
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 23 2009 at 09:41 | IP Logged Quote escaperoad

Good morning all.
I just bought an 87 288. Nice boat handles very well . But, I am not sure how fast this boat should cruise. I know it its not a speed boat, but so far I can't really seem to get it on plane , even at approx 3800rpms.  So I guess the questions are:
What is the speed rating for this boat.
Should it plane
What size props(wheels) should this have
I have twin mercruiser 350 engines.
Should these be able to run more than4000rpm
by the way thanks for the toilet talk, gave me some good ideas.
Also, as far as docking, I have been doing this for a long time and still sometimes screw up and have to think about what I am doing. But, I have found that this boat responds almost instantly to the gear shift. Also, my mechanic suggested NEVER shift above 1200rpms, it will lock up the transmission. I know sometimes you get excited(nervous) and forget to power down, really try not to do that.
Thanks for any advice you can give.
Mike

Back to Top Printable version View escaperoad's Profile Search for other posts by escaperoad

Don B
"Seaman"

Posted: December 23 2009 at 11:20 | IP Logged Quote Don B

which model?  I have a 255 Carrara w/5.7 and running at 4200 will get to 40, I cruise at 3600 and get 30+

Menasha, WI
Back to Top Printable version View Don B's Profile Search for other posts by Don B

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 23 2009 at 12:38 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

should be able to hit 4600 with the 5.7's-

sounds like you have some issues keeping you from planing. ie: dirty bottom/wrong props/carb/tuning/etc...

that boat should FLY with a pair of 5.7's !

454 Mags/Bravo1's (replants!)
Hudson,Florida
Back to Top Printable version View waterlogged's Profile Search for other posts by waterlogged

NO-OHMS
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 24 2009 at 07:47 | IP Logged Quote NO-OHMS

Mike,  Inboards are different than sterndrives a 228 is also a lot taller than other Thompson models causing a lot of windage. You should be up on plane at the 3800 to 4000 RPM range. It takes full power to pull mine up on plane.  You will not see 30 or 40 in this boat high 20's maybe low 30's and burn alot of fuel doing it.  I run 228 at displacement speed most of the time 10 to 15 knots and use a lot less fuel.  The hull is a planing hull but if you look at the design of this model the engines are way forward and the shafts come out of the hull just ahead of the normal planing point.  I will check my props and get back to you I am not sure ofthe size and pitch.  My 228 has twin 305's not the 5.7s.  This has been a great cruising boat for my family but its  not a speed boat.

Back to Top Printable version View NO-OHMS's Profile Search for other posts by NO-OHMS

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 24 2009 at 09:13 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

i take it all back----did not realize this was an inboard...

inboard???? .... really???....

Hudson,Florida
Back to Top Printable version View waterlogged's Profile Search for other posts by waterlogged

NO-OHMS
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 24 2009 at 10:21 | IP Logged Quote NO-OHMS

Yes inboards that is actually why I bought this boat I was tired of the maintenance associated with stern drives . My last boat had alpha stern drive and I kept the boat on a mooring in salt water.  So... Yes inboards on the 228.

Back to Top Printable version View NO-OHMS's Profile Search for other posts by NO-OHMS

escaperoad
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 25 2009 at 07:27 | IP Logged Quote escaperoad

Guys,
Thanks for your replies. However, this boat is a sedan type 288 and I thought that the 350's actually had about 260hp??. though I would probably cruise slower for gas savings, it would be nice to be able to get up and go when the need arises.
Back to Top Printable version View escaperoad's Profile Search for other posts by escaperoad

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 25 2009 at 11:17 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

yup i hear ya about the stern drives and slip storage--i broke down and bought a trailer.

14,000 lbs and 11 foot beam makes it a pain in the arse to tow but there are definite advantages to storing in my back yard. hurricane season for one.

mike, your 350's probably are right at 260 horse. and sometimes .... slower isn't always saving gas. get a fuel computer.

is yours also inboards?? but again...if you cant get the boat to plane out then you have issues that need to be addressed.

Hudson,Florida

escaperoad
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 27 2009 at 13:37 | IP Logged Quote escaperoad

Yeah, there is somethng to be said about a trailer-able boat. I had one and kept it in my side yard.  But it wasn't big enough to bring out everybody and it didn't have a cabin. So here I am trying this way out to see if it is what I want. It rides great and reminds me of a tug boat , slow but steady.  I got it up to 11mph according to my gps yesterday. I was cruising. But seriously, I think this boat should go  closer to 20. It definitely is a heavy boat though. If anybody has any ideas , I would certainly appreciate it. 

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 27 2009 at 19:05 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

is this like yours?? 

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1989-Thompson-Adventurer-2 8-93382571

Edited by Sonja Lowe on October 08 2014 at 14:56

Hudson,Florida

escaperoad
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 28 2009 at 09:14 | IP Logged Quote escaperoad

yes that's it

NO-OHMS
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 28 2009 at 10:12 | IP Logged Quote NO-OHMS

Yes that is the same model boat as mine which has a fly bridge.  I have never seen a 228 sedan, I have seen the sedan version that is 26 feet but it has a stern drive.   My boat has the 230 hp 305 v8 engines giving it 460 hp. the 5.7 should give a total of 520 hp.  My boat will plane and cruise around 20  and will hit high 20's If your not getting up on plane something is up,that needs to be checked. 

escaperoad
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 28 2009 at 18:38 | IP Logged Quote escaperoad

yeas , with 5.7 we should be able to go at least like yours. The engines run great , I just don't think the props are right, seem very small for that size boat.. but I have no idea what size would be correct. Any ideas where I can get some info on correct sizes and pitches? thanks

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 28 2009 at 20:46 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

your inability to hit 4600 rpm makes me think the props are too BIG. there are other things that will cause the same symptom and without a little history on the boat ....well kinda like pissin in the wind at this point.

have you ever seen the bottom of this boat? did you have it surveyed when you bought it? a dirty bottom will keep you from getting to proper speed.

i think you are going to have to start with the easy/cheap stuff and work your way up.

do you know the previous owner? anyway to get some history on it? how or when did the performance deteriorate. what condition are the props?

there's just a bunch of questions that have to be explored.

Hudson,Florida

Don B
"Seaman"

Posted: December 28 2009 at 23:11 | IP Logged Quote Don B

i have to agree w/ waterlogged.  the inability to get on plane and not getting to top RPM is a sign that the pitch is off.  also, you didn't say, but if you have tabs, are they all the way down? that will also give you a big headache...
another thing, are you having the same RPM problem on both motors or can you get one to rev higher?
a few additional things: fuel filter, plugs, cap/rotors

Good Luck

Menasha, WI
Back to Top Printable version View Don B's Profile Search for other posts by Don B

escaperoad
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 30 2009 at 08:42 | IP Logged Quote escaperoad

First , I want to say thank you for all your feedback.
The bottom is clean but whoever did the paint job did not do a very smooth job.  how much do you think that could make a difference ?I don't have a history on it and can't get in touch with the previous owner.  I am having a mechanic come down  to check timing ,etc and we will see what he says. I found out that having the trim tabs in a neutral position is the best. Otherwise it really drags the boat down into the water. As far as the props, they really look small to me,  but what do I know?? both motors rev about the same. It has run the same since I have had it , about 3months.

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 30 2009 at 09:46 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

the rough bottom is fairly common with most bottom paints. not much you can do about that. however, several layers of bottom paint will be lumpy-er then a single coat on a fresh surface. it's common to layer that stuff up for a few years in a row.

as long as it's clean, absent of barnicles and such, the bottom paint should'nt keep you from getting on plane.

i think you are headed down the right path. also find out what props this boat SHOULD have. i think mercruy marine has a prop calculater and advice if you gather lots of info about the boat. check out their website. any good local prop shop should be able to lead you correctly. i'm not sure about inboard props, but i assume the size is stamped into it somewhere???

Hudson,Florida

NO-OHMS
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 30 2009 at 14:50 | IP Logged Quote NO-OHMS

Hello, My boat is currently dismantled and it took me a while to find my props.  I have found them and they are 16 inch diameter and 14 inch pitch.  These are the original props that came with the boat when it was built. These props do look small on the boat but they work great on my boat.  I will try to get the info on my Borg Warner Velvet drives to see what gear ratio they are but I think they are close to 1to 1 I hope this helps.

escaperoad
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 30 2009 at 22:03 | IP Logged Quote escaperoad

believe me , everything you guys bring up helps. Thanks for both the info on mercury marine, and the size of the props.  NO-Ohms, is your boat a 288 or 228?
My mechanic couldn't get there today, but I took the boat out and pushed it a bit.
According to my tach I got it up to 4000rpm's and I had my gps on. Well Lo and behold it actually planed at about 12 mph or so and then started climbing to 15mph. It probably would have gone more but I didn't want to push it to hard yet. I don't know why it got up there but  after being stuck a 10 for the last few rides, I got pretty excited about it. Isn't amazing what will excite some people. I had changed and cleaned the gas filters bowls, could be that had something to do with it. The engines sounded good and strong.  it is my understanding that this boat sat for about 2 years. If I continue to put new gas in and get rid of any of the old and my mechanic can do timing, plugs, wires, etc. the engines will start to loosen up, almost like breaking them in. Who knows maybe next time I will get her up to 16.

NO-OHMS
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 31 2009 at 13:34 | IP Logged Quote NO-OHMS

well what do you know I do own a 288 adventurer not a 228 I am not sure how long I have been saying it wrong ,but I even signed up for this forum using the wrong numbers.  So to answer your Question escaperoad I have a 288. sorry for any confusion.

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 31 2009 at 13:59 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

scratch that

Edited by waterlogged on December 31 2009 at 14:00

Hudson,Florida

escaperoad
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 30 2010 at 07:55 | IP Logged Quote escaperoad

Guys,
Just wanted to give you an update on my boat.  As luck would have it, an old friend of mine (an ace marine mechanic for 40 years) came to florida about 3 weeks ago. I took him out on the boat and he suggested a few simple things. Well, after a tune-up (plugs,wires,etc) oil cooler replacement on the port engine(it was leaking), which led to changing out the Risers om both engines.  We took the boat out the other day and actually got 20 mph GPSed out of the old lady at 4000rpm. It is like running a different boat..
Getting to the outboard Risers is not any easy task. However, whoever owned this boat before had the decking behind the couch area cut out for access to the left side of the port engine, great idea. Otherwise the whole larger hatch would have to have been taken out ,including the rear doors.  Next up tweaking the carbs and such.
Mike

moondog84
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 30 2011 at 14:10 | IP Logged Quote moondog84

After skimming through all the comments posted, here is my 2 cents on the issue...if you are really concerned with efficiency/top end speed I would have the bottom completely stripped and put a new layer of anti fouling paint on it.  Next, I would have the propellers check to ensure they are the proper pitch/diameter by a reputable prop repair facility (they could have been rebuilt and the pitch may not be what you think it is).  Check the lube in your gear box, if it is thick and old that will also slow you down.  When were the shafts pulled last?  You may want to have your shaft seal/bushings replaced to ensure the running gear is moving freely.  Did you compression check both engines?  They should be about 130-155 psi, more importantly even through all the cylinders, any 1 cylinder that may have low compression will cause you to loose HP.  Rebuilding the carbs is a good idea, the high speed metering jets can get gum on them restricting the fuel going into the engine causing loss of top end.  I know Thompson have a TON of storage space, every little piece of gear adds weight, did you clean the boat out?  Did you also empty your holding tank?  Do you have trim tabs?  I believe I have seen a 288 out of the water and if I do recall they have fairly wide tabs on the stern.  I am not too sure your boat would be that water logged that it would add that much weight, that is a significant amount of water that would have to be absorbed into the wood which I would be very concerned about the structural integrity of the boat.  I believe the 288's did not have any foam in the structure (24' and below as per Thompson).  With your power and ideal conditions, you should be cruising at mid 20's topping out at low to mid 30's.  The 31 Santa Cruise w/350's and Alfa Drives weights 11200 lbs dry (probably 12000 with fuel, battery and a person or two) and is able to achieve about 41-42 mph, there is no reason your boat (assuming 9800 lbs dry with fuel, people, stuff, estimating 11000 lbs) should be able to reach low 30's top end, the efficiency loss from stern drives to I/B is not that significant.  Hope this helps.
Back to Top Printable version View moondog84's Profile Search for other posts by moondog84

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version