View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Thompson Marine
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Thompson Marine
Subject Topic: NO GIN - 87 Daytona 290 Post ReplyPost New Topic
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 26 2009 at 17:41 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

so...when you say the plug"s" look good---did you see all four?

ya-you still need plugs to run the engine once it's running.

well-if plugs look good...nice tan coloration???? not black or oily looking or wet looking or covered AT ALL with carbon???

have you ever heard this engine run ever?

so you are getting spark and you are getting fuel-i would check compression and do a rough timing re-setting

does it pop or back fire or any indication of fire in the hole when you crank it?

454 Mags/Bravo1's (replants!)
Hudson,Florida
Back to Top Printable version View waterlogged's Profile Search for other posts by waterlogged

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 26 2009 at 19:22 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

I ran a jumper cable from the battery to the coil today. First 2 times it tried to start and blew a big puff of blue-gray smoke out. Then on the third try it wouldn't turn over. I just heard a clicking noise.

For sh*ts and giggles I tried to start from the key about an hour later and she fired right up and ran like a champ! ? ? ?

However, once running I checked to see if she was in gear and noticed antifreeze spewing from the underside of the gimball housing. My guess is that the hose got loose or possibly had a tear in it.

When I bought the boat I heard both engines start and run. The only issue was that the port motor (this motor that's busting my chops) needed the shift cable adjusted or possibly replaced.

Rocky Point, Long Island - NY
-------------------------------------------
"Save the Earth, Ride Some Grass!"
www.backyardskateboards.com

Back to Top Printable version View NoGin's Profile Search for other posts by NoGin

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 26 2009 at 19:34 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

so it will only run with the jumper??

Hudson,Florida
Back to Top Printable version View waterlogged's Profile Search for other posts by waterlogged

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 26 2009 at 20:19 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

No it ran after I did the jumper with the key in the ignition. Weird right? Now I have to take about the gimbal housing and see whats up with that hose. Can I do that by myself or is it to heavy?

Back to Top Printable version View NoGin's Profile Search for other posts by NoGin

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 27 2009 at 08:51 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

do you mean pulling the drive off and going in that way? alpha's are pretty light-i used to pull them all the time.

did you see coolant coming from the inside or outside? you'd be much better off trying to narrow that down to exactly where it's coming from before tearing anything apart.

i'm trying for the life of me to remember whether these 470's are are full fresh systems or half fresh systems. if you are loosing coolant at the rear of the engine.....i am leaning towards freeze plug??

buy or borrow a preasure checker/hand pump especially for this reason---preasurize the system and hunt down the exact location of the leak.

Hudson,Florida

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 27 2009 at 13:12 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

It only leaked outside the boat out of the gimbel housing vents? on each side of the housing just above the anodized heads.

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 27 2009 at 16:44 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

talking about the actual exhaust vent holes? exhaust comes from 2 differant...make that 3 places---those 2 holes and thru the prop.

green coolant comin out???  bad manifold and/or riser???

Hudson,Florida

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 27 2009 at 17:31 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

It was raining and cold all day so I didn't get a chance to look at it. I am trying to learn about the coolant vs. seawater systems. I know there is a water hose that runs from the drive into the boat. Is there coolant that runs through there or only seawater?

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 27 2009 at 17:45 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

only seawater--there is a pump down in the lower half of the drive(should replace every year by the way)

the large "tube" ontop and on the front of the engine is kind of a heat exchanger/radiator. the engine coolant runs through small tubes on the inside of this large tube while raw water( seawater) is pumped into the area surrounding  the tubes inside the large tube...thus cooling the coolant.....

a half system basically only runs coolant on the inside of the engine.......a full system also runs the coolant through the manifolds as well.

marine manifolds have a hollow port where water runs through them to keep them cool too. sooooo. fresh water cooled/coolant cooled manifolds last much longer then raw water/seawater cooled manifolds/engines.

saltwater is hell on this stuff especially when you add the heat quotion.

the hose leading from the outside to the inside is seawater feeding to the big tube.....and risers.

Hudson,Florida

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 27 2009 at 18:01 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

uhhhh, that sucks!

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 27 2009 at 19:41 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Someone else on the iboats forum tends to think it's my heat exchanger went bad. Have you had this before or any experience removing the heat exchanger or cleaning it out?

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 28 2009 at 12:46 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

sure-i think that could very well be possible-

anywhere in that system where coolant will leak in to the exiting water/exhaust mix

Hudson,Florida

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 28 2009 at 12:50 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

want a great learning site for your new toy?

boatered  dot com

Hudson,Florida

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 28 2009 at 12:55 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

dont think you want to run that too much till you cure that leak--it will not cool too well w/o  that coolant in there-

no other water gets to the engine

Hudson,Florida

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 28 2009 at 13:29 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Yeah I am not running it till I figure this out. Thanks for the link. I will go there now.

I rented a pressure tester from at AutoZone for an $80 deposit that I get back when I return it so it ends up being FREE! Great deal!!

Right away with under 5 PSI I noticed a leak coming from a hose going into the exchanges. I tightened the clamp and it's better.

At 14PSI I noticed a lot of coolant coming from just behind the coolant reserve bottle. I am going to remover the bottle and see what's up there. Then continue testing to see what caused it to shoot out of the transom.

uuuuyyyyyyyy

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 28 2009 at 18:33 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

What's up with that boatered.com forum? I registered and it still will not let me in and I cant contact anyone.

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 28 2009 at 19:38 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

I re checked the coolant pressure after a flush and tighten up of loose hoses and the drain plug. Pressure was much better. It went to 15 LBS then dropped to 12 PSI in 2 minutes. Then slowly dropped from there. Much better than before but something still going on.

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 28 2009 at 19:42 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

i'm thinking maybe you should pull the plugs again and spin the engine over incase the presure test pushed water/coolant into the cylinders.

do that soon--you dont want water laying around in the cumbustion chambers

Hudson,Florida

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 28 2009 at 20:26 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Even though my engine will not start? It cranks all day long but will not turn over.

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 28 2009 at 20:29 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

i thought u had it running??

Hudson,Florida

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 28 2009 at 20:41 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

I did. Then I somewhat fixed the coolant issue and now (2 days later) it wouln't turn over again!

darchie1
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 06 2009 at 02:09 | IP Logged Quote darchie1

Hello Gents!

I'm new to this forum and to the Thompson, I bought mine (1988 Daytona 300) back in June 08, you may remember a fellow that use to post here "Two For Hooking" well I bought his boat, he did some work on it while he had it and now I will be trying to bring it a little further, it is a great boat but needs some TLC as they say and some mods, would like to redo the bridge and the aft deck seating, also the teak accents including cabin entrance hatch and glass frame.

No Gin, have you got your engines to fire yet?? just a thought but if you are flooding the engine then it will turn over and not fire, what I do is give it full throttle and turn it over, eventually it fires up, just like them old cars we use to roar around in got to put the peddle to the metal and spin er over. as I read your thread you mentioned you jumpered it and it fired then for sh*ts and giggles went and cranked it with ignition a couple hours later, well that sounds like classic flooding to me and these old girls flood easy.

Cheers All and happy Boating, will be by often to listen and learn and if I can help here and there I'd be glad to share what I can.

Dave

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: June 06 2009 at 07:06 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

hey dave

welcome aboard. sorry we lost two-4 but at least we gained a Darchie1 !

haven't heard much from no-gin latley. it's easy to become disillusioned with this hobby/love/obsession. i think weather has held him up a bit too. i know he was very anxious to get out on the water this summer. i guess we're lucky... if it doesn't make it by this summer,....there's always fall and winter too! Sorry no-gin--don't mean to rub it in! i really do feel sorry for the "short-season" boaters though......no really!

so if memory serves me right...that is a pretty nice rig you ended up with, right?

Hudson,Florida

darchie1
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 06 2009 at 20:30 | IP Logged Quote darchie1

Hello Chuck,

Thanks for the welcome. I did end up with a pretty nice rig, you are right about that, I have been looking through thethreads and that Moosin around has the same boat but in much nicer shape, he mentioned he wanted to upgrade in a year or 2 and has not posted much since, wondering if he has made the jump or still has the 300, I posted on his thread and maybe he'll respond, sure like his boat! how are things coming along with your project, would love to see some photos, I have started the "out for qoutes" part of my personalizing this rig, as I said I aquired the boat a year ago and I dont think that I have ever fell for a boat like this one, there are many beautiful boats out there along with a price tag to match but this boat just has so much character and style, and then there are those 1988 corvette 350's - I'm in love all over again! and the wife does not mind LOL - I'm presently in Argentina for work, have been here almost 2 months, cant wait to get back and get out on the water, have to do a quick service but should be able to spend a couple weeks floating around the PNW, lots of nice spots very close by on the gulf islands, it will be our first trip in her and cant wait. 

Cheers Chuck! pleasure to meet you and thanks for responding.

Dave

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: June 16 2009 at 08:27 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

hey NoGin! go check out the new pic on my thread-(st.tropez310)

the paint ended up with a few flaws but not enough to start over....if i do it again, it'll be handed over to the pros! those guys do some really nice work with these dash panels.

Hudson,Florida

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: June 16 2009 at 08:30 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

so Dave... what kind of work do you do that lets you travel to such destinations?

Hudson,Florida

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: June 16 2009 at 08:36 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Hey guys. Sorry I have been a way for a while. Been at Boatered.com. Not just Thompson owners but a great forum.

I will update with my progress later.

Lookin good Chuck!

Edited by NoGin on June 16 2009 at 08:46

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: June 16 2009 at 08:45 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

I decided to mold everything to the dash rather than adding something on top of it. Last minute decision as I kept breaking the larger lexan sheets when trying to mold them.

I still have some work to do but it gives you the feel of what the dash will look like.

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: June 16 2009 at 08:52 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

oh man!!! thats "killer". ....do they still say that?

very. very nice.

so....told you boatered was a great site--my member number is 1320 or something like that. been over there for more then 10 years!

i learned so much from that site. i can't even begin to say how many hours i've spent there!

anyway--dash looks awesome...MODERN! very cool mod! totally impressed.

Hudson,Florida

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: June 16 2009 at 08:55 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Thanks man. I am pretty happy with it. Still need to do some little filler and another coat of primer to get a very smooth and near perfect finish. I still have your 2 gauges BTW if you know anyone who is interested.

darchie1
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 16 2009 at 08:56 | IP Logged Quote darchie1

Looks good Joe! has a clean and tidy look, not so intimidating like the inside of a 747 cockpit.

Chuck, I am a Mineral Processing Tech, Mining takes us everywhere.

Cheers Guys! thanks!

Dave

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 01 2009 at 10:10 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Update ....

Had the mechanic at my house to get her running and inspect her for sea worthyness. He installed both port and starboard lower shift cables, rebuilt both water pumps, installed a new starboard fuel pump and gave us the thumbs up to launch. She now runs great and shift very smoothly!

My wife and I have enjoyed laying 3 coats of Interlux pre-kote to the hull and topsides. This morning we are going to the 50 m- 50 pre-kote, brightside mixture they recommend. Tomorrow morning we'll give it all a good we sand and see how smooth and level she is.

Getting excited for her launch!

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 04 2009 at 11:36 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

good deal!--yep--i leave all the specialty stuff to the guys that do it all the time.

i used to mess around with the alphas but these buggers are HEAVY for one and after you watch a guy do (in minutes) what takes me hours to do.

man there's some things that are just worth paying to have done (for me anyway)

SO are you gonna get her wet this weekend?

Hudson,Florida

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 11 2009 at 20:23 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Launched her on the 4th of July! Immediately noticed a small water leak from the transom which I determined to be from the exhaust elbow. Getting a quote of $1500 for the haul, engine removal and new elbow, I ran to West Marine and got a great 2 part epoxy, located the leak and plugged it. No more leak!

Yesterday I hired a local Captain to give me lessons and boost my confidence in my abilities. Today I went out for 2 hours on my own then for the first time docked and brought the wife and kids on board. Had a great day and she is running awesome!

Only issue I have is a slow leak of coolant. I filled it up last night and when I went back on the boat today I had to add 2 cups of coolant. I ran her for about 3 hours today then checked it again and had to add about the same amount????

Pics coming soon .....

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 11 2009 at 20:47 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

awesome! i can tell that you have a huge grin on your face!

my project started with a leaking Y-pipe! (noticed the bilge pump running too much)

pulling 1 engine turned into THIS!  

you really DO want to find out where that coolant is going as soon as possible.

Hudson,Florida

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 11 2009 at 20:48 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

so where do you launch at?

Hudson,Florida

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 11 2009 at 20:56 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

I have her at a mooring in Mt. Sinai harbor LI, NY. I have a mechanic coming to check out the leak on Monday. I am going to try and troubleshoot it as much as I can tomorrow before going out.

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 12 2009 at 19:38 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en& ;geocode=&q=skeleton+key,florida+34669&sll=40.963596 ,-73.034937&sspn=0.002321,0.005681&ie=UTF8&ll=28 .361642,-82.709069&spn=0.001293,0.00284&t=h&z=19

here's where we used to keep ours--there's also a very nice ramp/public docks there that we will use in the future-

Hudson,Florida

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 12 2009 at 20:59 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Very nice. Here is where I am:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en& ; ;geocode=&q=mt.+Sinai+harbor,+NY&sll=37.0625,-95.677 068&sspn=42.03917,79.013672&ie=UTF8&ll=40.961234 ,-73.025115&spn=0.00982,0.01929&t=h&z=16&iwl oc=A

I am close to the road half way from the docks and the end of the harbor. Nice and quiet!

Edited by NoGin on July 12 2009 at 21:03

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 18 2009 at 17:58 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Having problems with my charging system. It has the factory installed 40 amp charger but the batteries go from about 12.4 volts with the engines off to 11.96 at 1800 RPM running.

]
] ]
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version