View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Fist Boat.. ’81 Chris?? Post ReplyPost New Topic
2 Pages 1 2
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: March 18 2009 at 21:20 | IP Logged Quote floater251

NoGin, ive been following the string here and have considered repowering the floater with a new gm 350 or just going through the oem 305. after a cost compair found them both about the same price. Heres the key, go to a gm dealership that the parts department carries ALOT of engines, trans, etc. they are high volume dealers that can sell engines for less than some dealers can buy them for, especially if you buy 2. There is a pre vortex (pre 1984) 350 long block rated at 290hp that can be purchased for well under 2 g's each. and good news!!! they have a warranty! Right now, mechanics are starving and will be willing to do a swap out, repair, or overhaul for a fracton of normal costs. Now everyones been freaking about the engine costs, but that should not really be a problem if you are able to do the other repairs yourself. I want to wish you the best of luck with your new "HOLE IN THE WATER SURROUNDED BY FIBERGLASS INTO WHICH MONEY IS POURED", You should have a blast, but do no get discouraged, because with an old boat i found that when you are finished "fixing her up" it will be time to start over again. But hell, its worth it. if it was'nt, there would'nt be anyone in this forum!!!!!

Floater

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 18 2009 at 21:50 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

That's not a bad idea and I may consider that.

Here is where she sits to date:

• Manually cranked both engines so they are free.
  • Turned over both engines tonight but the new batteries (West Marine) were very poor so we couldn't get true readings. The Starboard engine (which is the concern due the the missing carb) showed 150 lbs at each cylinder other than one which was missing. We think, and hope, that's because of it sitting for so long and perhaps a spring is sticking.
  • Going to "fog" the engines tomorrow and let them sit for the day and re-try the compression testing at night.
  • Started to go through the electrical which is an absolute nightmare! Household Radio Shack stereo speaker wire ran from bow to stern for lights! Ripping all that out!!

Rocky Point, Long Island - NY
-------------------------------------------
"Save the Earth, Ride Some Grass!"
www.backyardskateboards.com

Back to Top Printable version View NoGin's Profile Search for other posts by NoGin

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 19 2009 at 07:47 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Understand the starboard engine has been sitting for 2 years with questionable winterizing done and no carb. These results are of our initial compression test with the engines as is and working with a little WD40.

1  150            2  150
3  150            4  150
5  150            6  MIS
7  125            8  125

Back to Top Printable version View NoGin's Profile Search for other posts by NoGin

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: March 27 2009 at 21:32 | IP Logged Quote floater251

NoGin, hows the chris coming along? any new updates?

Floater.

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 28 2009 at 07:35 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

My mechanic, now ex-mechanic scared the hell out of me telling me I needed a new starboard engine and a new transmission for the port side. He fired up the starboard motor but couldn't get the starboard started.

After research and talking to others I am 97% sure the problem was that he installed the spark plug wires back incorrectly not accounting for the reverse timing.

It's pouring out today but I hope to go to the boat and fix this.

He used some sort of an outside starter button which he attached to the coil and started to turn the motors over. For some reason I don't have power to the helm but I think he didn't complete some connections there. There is only 1 wire (Hot) connected to the starter????

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: March 28 2009 at 10:39 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Yikes....go to http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg221/rduhon_album/Chris% 20Craft%20Manual/  this is the entire manual for a cc 201/281, you might be able to use this for some of your electrical nightmare. this guy spent alot of time scanning every page and posting them for our good! DONT get discouraged, there are alot of boneheads out there that can steer you in the wrong direction.

floater

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 28 2009 at 10:48 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Thanks. I will say for about 2 days since this mechanic told me I needed a new starboard motor and port tranny I have been in a world of my own. Kind of like a deep depression. I don't have that kind of money to put into the boat right now.

I never had a boat and don't know my way around them so I trusted in a "good" mechanic that is local. Hopefully I can scrap this guy and pick up from here on my own.

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: March 28 2009 at 15:12 | IP Logged Quote floater251

advice from a man who really cant even afford what he has....use the barter system, looking at your website, someone you deal with has got to be mechanically inclined. try a trade off. but first, follow the wiring diagrams, get the primary ignition up to par (no matter what, that needs to be done, engines good or bad). pick up an engine manual from a parts house, ask see what you got and ask an assload of questions. thats what we are all here for. the floater is my first boat, i had to use the forum to learn how to pilot her to keep from damaging anything else at the marina. Dont give up, keep plugging at it. if you are questioning the wiring, snap some pix and/or we can do the same for you!

Floater

Edited by floater251 on March 28 2009 at 15:12

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 28 2009 at 15:25 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Quote: floater251

advice from a man who really cant even afford what he has....use the barter system, looking at your website, someone you deal with has got to be mechanically inclined. try a trade off. but first, follow the wiring diagrams, get the primary ignition up to par (no matter what, that needs to be done, engines good or bad). pick up an engine manual from a parts house, ask see what you got and ask an assload of questions. thats what we are all here for. the floater is my first boat, i had to use the forum to learn how to pilot her to keep from damaging anything else at the marina. Dont give up, keep plugging at it. if you are questioning the wiring, snap some pix and/or we can do the same for you!

Floater

Great, thanks Floater! I'll take some pics and post them. I am almost 100% sure he didn't account for my "unique" 327Q reverse application. I'm going to go to the boat in the morning and spend a few hours on her.

I really have to figure out how to get power to the helm so I can fire her up on my own. The mechanic was using the remote push button starter which he connected to the coil and starter.

Thanks again!

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: April 09 2009 at 17:53 | IP Logged Quote floater251

NoGIn, its been awhile, any updates on the progress?

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 10 2009 at 18:27 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

I switched the wires which were in incorrectly. I tried to start it but had the same results. I decided to buy another boat and put the Chris to the side to work on as a project over the year. I also listed her for sale for the right person. It's just way too much work for an inexperienced boater such as myself.

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: April 11 2009 at 00:34 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Bumer....what did you end up buying? I thinki have a buyer for the Floater, if he buys her, i have my eye on a cc 23' scorpian. alot smaller than the catalina but comes with a trailer. the marina slip fee is killing me, so i need something i can tow out. the 230 scorpian can still be used in the crappu ponds called lakes here locally but big enough to be towed to and used in the innercostal waterway. I think im going to take a big hit on the 251. well, good luck with the new boat! Happy easter!

Floater.

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 11 2009 at 06:34 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Thanks man. Happy Easter! I bought a 1987 31' Thompson Daytona. One owner boat. Awesome condition just needs some fresh paint and a little updating. A great first boat that I can drop in the water and enjoy. The Chris is a beautiful boat and better built, but not ready for the water.

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: April 11 2009 at 10:47 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Great looking boats, lots of teak!!!!! I do like how they have a modern streamline look, but still have alot of teak for that classic feeling. Hey, good luck with the boat, keep in touch and get some pix going.

Floater.

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 11 2009 at 11:13 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Will do, thanks!

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 16 2009 at 07:21 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Rebuilding the dash this week just to give it a more updated look and feel. I think I am going to re-use the Ensign 735 digital tach*sync. Anyone have any experience with this unit?

]
] ]
2 Pages 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version