View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Fist Boat.. ’81 Chris?? Post ReplyPost New Topic
2 Pages 1 2
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 03 2009 at 17:04 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Hi guys. I have been researching the purchase of my first boat for some time. I love the look of the Chris Crafts and found one that may be the one.

My question is how well do the 7.4L run and how efficient are they? 1 needs to be rebuilt and I am looking into the cost to rebuild it vs. finding a pair of used diesels to swap out.

Thanks.

Rocky Point, Long Island - NY
-------------------------------------------
"Save the Earth, Ride Some Grass!"
www.backyardskateboards.com

Back to Top Printable version View NoGin's Profile Search for other posts by NoGin

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 03 2009 at 18:04 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Any help/advice on the '81 33 foot sedan would be much appreciated. 

Back to Top Printable version View NoGin's Profile Search for other posts by NoGin

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: March 03 2009 at 19:01 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

I bought a 1982 CC 281 Catalina last year with twin 305K's.  The boat runs out good but fuel economy is about 1 to 1.5 MPG If I get on the throttles that will go down substantially.  Other people seem to get better but what I have found I am in the norm.  I cruise around 17 mph and the boat will run out at around 30 mph at 4400 RPM.

Those big motors have got to be a beast to run.  I would think a rebuild is going to cost you $4000 when it's all said and done. 

If you look in the chat logs there is discussion about replacement engines.  Maybe some of that info will be good for you.

Mark

Lake Superior
Wisconsin
http://www.superiordaycruises.com
Back to Top Printable version View Captain Mark's Profile Search for other posts by Captain Mark

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: March 03 2009 at 19:10 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

I am sure that you will have to swap out the fuel tank as well.  I have several diesel powered engines in trucks and equipment and I couldn't use a gasoline tank for a replacement.  I'm sure you would also have to modify the stringers to accept the diesel motors and you have issues witht he transmissions mating up as well.

Lake Superior
Wisconsin
Back to Top Printable version View Captain Mark's Profile Search for other posts by Captain Mark

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 03 2009 at 19:12 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Thanks for the info! The cost of either the 7.4 rebuild or diesel swap will be the deciding factor for sure. I love this size/model. Seems like the perfect boat for my family!

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 03 2009 at 19:17 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

He just told me the bulk head is completely shot. Is this a big job on this model?

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: March 03 2009 at 19:40 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

I would ask what bulhead?  I would say that if there is rot in the boat you are in for a big project.  If you don't know how to do the repairs , the cost to have it done would  be more than the value of the boat.  There are several boats on the market that are very reasonable. 

Lake Superior
Wisconsin

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 03 2009 at 19:42 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Yeah I am waiting on an answer to exactly what damage is there. 

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 03 2009 at 20:14 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

He said the entire bulk head is rotted out and needs to be replaced.

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: March 03 2009 at 20:24 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

This sounds like a parts boat

Lake Superior
Wisconsin

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 03 2009 at 20:27 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Do you know of any good internet leads for me to search for a good Chris?

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: March 03 2009 at 20:46 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

No Gin - if the owner/seller was "kind enough" to tell the bulkhead is rotted out, you can bet you'll find many other issues as well.  I survey boats for a living and I've done many, many Chris Crafts from 70's - the 2000's including several of the model you are looking at.  Let me say that, given the year, there is probably a good chance of high moisture levels in the deck core on the foredeck (if there is a mounted teak pulpit) and definitely around the stanchions at the toe rail.

I have owned three mid-80's CC's and currently own a 500 Connie.  I've also owned a 294 Catalina and a 381 Catalina.  I looked into having the 381 repowered to diesels about 8 years ago.  Remember, if you have a generator onboard, you'll need to change that out as well.  And NO, do not consider running a separate gas tank just for the genset.  It is a receipe for disaster.  Anyway, the estimate was $85,000.00 for a turnkey project with Yanmar mains, Kohler genset, new tanks and you must repalce ALL fuel lines.  Very, very few repowers of this nature can justify this type of expense.  The only ones I can think of are some owners of gas powered Bertrams that repowered with diesels.  And they had long-term goals for the boats.  Damned few of us keep a boat longer than 3-5 years.  You would have to keep your boat a minium of a decade or better to even think about breaking even.

I don't mean to sound trite, but a full bulkhead replacement requires a tremendous amount of work and skill that many yards do not have.  And IF you have the wherewithall and/or time and talent to perform this task, you'll simply move on to (most likely) other costly issues, burn out and start looking for a way out.  I don't want to see that happen to a first-time boat buyer.  There are many, many more boats out there for sale and I'll bet you'll find some good deals on a good (or atleast much better) boat. 

I've been where you are.  My Connie is a money pit.  And I KNEW what I was getting into and I still have spent many more thousands of dollars.

I want to see you get into a decent boat that, hopefully, will not have you regretting the day you ever saw the thing.

My last piece of advice:  hire a SAMS www.marinesurvey.org or NAMS surveyor!  Yes, you'll spend money for a survey and possibly NOT buy the boat.  But at least you won't commit to a POS.  I've surveyed as many as three boats for one buyer, but the final boat is still under him after 8 years. I've had others thank me over and over for finding issues which would/could have cost them thousands of dollars in repairs.

Take your time, educate yourself as much and as quickly as possible.  Make as informed a decision as possible.  You might try going to http://www.yachtsurvey.com/  David Pascoe's website has a lot of good (if opinionate) information.

I hope I've helped you.

Marine Survey - Yacht Delivery
www.easternmarineservices.com
Back to Top Printable version View Banjoman's Profile Search for other posts by Banjoman

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 03 2009 at 21:22 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Thank you so much for that advice. I am starting to see this boat of more of a project than I want. I have seen a couple of other boats that I do like that are in very good shape; 1980 26' Carver Santa Cruz (but I think this is too small for us) a 1976 34' Silverton Flybridge is very good shape with new Chrysler 318's. I am just not familiar with boating and want to make sure I get the right boat for my family to enjoy cruising on the LI Sound. I really liked the Chris shape, size and design as it seems like the perfect family boat. Not sure how any of the boats handle in the water.

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: March 03 2009 at 21:52 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

NoGin - "Nothing Works On An Old Boat But The Owner".  

I'm really not trying to bring you down, just keep you grounded in reality.  That's why a surveyor is a necessity.  Your insurance company will require it on the vintage vessels your are looking at anyway.

If I could offer another opinion? (you'll never meet a surveyor without one!)

You mention "family" quite a bit.  I do not know how young your children are BUT the flybridge boats are nice and, obviously, appeal to quite a few sportsmen.  However, keep in mind that someone will be climbing up and down that ladder while underway bringing food and drinks up to the bridge.  Falls are common on these types of boats.  If your children are young, you'll be constantly watching them with a concerned eye, which can place undue stress on you.  Just a thought. 

I was going to buy a 33 Commander before I bought the 381 Catalina.  Some folks do not like the design of the 381 but I loved mine and I was always able to keep an eye on my guests and kids.  Plus you entertain on the same level as you operate the boat.  The only boats quite like this is the 350 Catalina, 381 Catalina and the 36 Trojan Tri-Cabin (American version).  You have full walk-around decks on these boats also, which is nice when docking.  I would imagine some good deals can be found on the 381's and 350's as well.  Both boats are like small condos on the water and are comfortable boats.  The 350 was Chris Craft's best selling cruiser ever.

Of course, this is all objective and your choice.  I hope whatever boat you buy that you have a safe and happy boating seasons for years to come.

Back to Top Printable version View Banjoman's Profile Search for other posts by Banjoman

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 03 2009 at 21:59 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Thanks again! I am hiring a surveyor for sure! I actually had a survey schedule for this Saturday on another boat but after a few trips on my own I decided to pass as it wasn't for me. I am out doing all the research I can and seeing all I can. Then when I find the one or 2 I want I will bring in the surveyor for some professional help. Like you said I may need to do this for several boats and I am fine with that because his job is to protect me by showing me things I wouldn't see without him and keep me from falling into a "money pit!"

My kids are 4 and 7! My wife doesn't like small boats and cabins. My brother did that to her driving 50 knots on his new 21' Regal. I owe him for that!! So a smooth cutting ride is very important.

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: March 04 2009 at 09:53 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

NoGin - Now you're talkin'.  As for the wife's nerves.  You may have done this already, but if not, PLEASE have your wife take a USCG Aux or Power Squadron safety course!  And I do not mean some on-line thingy that is meant to help you with an insurance discount or such.  Take a classroom course!  Many of these courses encourage you to bring your kids.  Make it a family event, a fun event.  It's absolutely worth the time, the money and the effort.  You'll feel better knowing that the family has some knowledge of the "Rules of the Road", your wife will feel better knowing that she has some added knowledge that will help her HELP YOU in an emergency.  I also perform safety and operation training for my clients. Notice I place the word "training" first.

I received a call at 11 p.m. one night from a former boat owner I had performed training with for he and his wife.  He said, and I paraphrase; "Capt. Shover.  My boat sank this evening! I hit something in the water and tore out the shaft log! I just want to thank you for helping me save my wife and family.  I followed your training instructions and my family was prepared for the unthinkable. We were in the water within minutes. By following your safety instructions, we were in PFDs and a May Day call was issued.  First responders were there within minutes and picked us out of the water. I can't thank you enough."

There was a little more to the conversation, but I'll tell you I was in tears after the phone conversation was over.  I was so happy his family was safe. 

I hope my little success story underscores the need for safety first.  I only wish all boaters would take this advice.

Go forth and be safe!  Happy boating.  

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 04 2009 at 09:57 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

We are all signed up for a boaters course for next Saturday by Safe Boating America.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: March 04 2009 at 12:58 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi NoGin,

Where along the Long Island Sound will you be boating?  I live on the south shore and boat on the Great South Bay. 

I agree with you that the Chris Crafts have great space and styling.  We are a family of 5 and moved up from a 20' cuddy to the 28' Chris Craft Catalina.  We found a 1985 Catalina 280, single screw small block that cruises comfortably at 17mph and full throttle at about 28mph.  The cabin sleeps 6 so we each have our own berth, 6'2" headroom in the head and well over that in the cabin.  Because of gas prices, the cost to maintain 2 engines and the room in the engine compartment around a single motor on a boat with 10' 9" beam, I specifically looked for this boat.  Although docking posed a bit of a challenge in the beginning, with some practice I am able to get her into the slip without touching anything in almost any wind/current conditions.  Often when I pull her into a slip over on Fire Island, I hear comments like "sure is easy to dock with twins, huh?" and they are quit suprised when I tell them it is a single screw inboard.  I have not tracked fuel consumption but I use less than I did with the 20' outboard cuddy, and we do a lot of cruisin'.

I bought the 280 Catalina in September of 2007 and I did hire a surveyor even though the price was pretty reasonable, I did not want to get stuck with a project that I would not be able to get rid of.  Turns out, all the boat needed was cosmetic work (and still does), structurally and mechanically the boat is in top condition.  The surveyor estimated the boat's worth at double what I was paying and when he told me if I did not buy the boat at that price, he would considering buying it.  We took it for a sea trial as well as the on-land inspection which let him really check out the boat.

After one full season of use, I did invest some money on repairs and maintenance but nothing out of the ordinary or that I already didnt know from the survey.  Money spent on the survey was well worth it especially since he told me to call him anytime afterwards if I had any questions, which I did, and he answered them in person at the boat...I would imagine any reputable surveyor would do the same thing.

So, if you are looking for a roomy family boat, that you can use for crusin, fishing, overnighting and has all the necessary equipment, a mid '80's Chris Craft makes some nice models and I can attest to the 28' Catalina.  At less than 30', dockage is pretty reasonable and feels like just the right amount of boat.

Check out the "Catalina Owners Forum", there are several folks who post regularly there and is a wealth of information.  I also follow the Consellations forum which is very interesting, full of knowledge and practical information.

Tom

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 04 2009 at 13:08 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Thanks Tom. I have narrowed it down to just a few boats now:
  • 1980 Carver Santa Cruz 26'
  • 1976 Silverton bridge/concert 34'
  • 1977 Luhrs 320 Super
  • 1978 Silverton Convert 31'
I really like the Carver. I was wanting a 28' plus boat but for a 26 footer it is pretty darn roomy! The deck is a bit small though. I am really interested about how each of the above boats rides in the water. That will be the deciding factor over all. I am hoping for sea trials on the ones I narrow it down to if possible. Right now some are packed in the back of the yard which can not be accessed for another month or two.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: March 04 2009 at 13:25 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

NoGin, those sound like good boats and definitely top brands.  I've had the Catalina 280 out on the bay in 4 foot whitecaps and she handled them with no issue.  I know the LI Sound can get larger waves on occassion and LOA will matter.  The Silvertons probably have nice bow flare, the deeper V the hull has and if the V continues to the stern, the better it will ride in the rough stuff.

Good luck,

Tom

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 04 2009 at 13:34 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Thanks again Tom. I am in Port Jefferson and the boat will be in the harbor there. Thanks for the info on the V hull.  I didn't realize that.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: March 04 2009 at 15:15 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

I grew up boating in PJ Harbor, Conscience Bay, Pirates Cove and all the surrounding areas.  I haven't been boating up there since the mid 80's.   That is a great place to go boating.  Since I live in Islip town, I have not been able to access the water up there.

I remember getting caught in the sound by buoy 11 (if I remember correctly) in 6+ foot rollers in my dad's 18 footer.  Because the waves were far enough apart and were not breaking, we did fine.  Unfortunately on the south shore, the waves tend to be closer together with breaking caps and makes the trip across the bay quite unpleasent if you are in a boat smaller then 25'.  I am very pleased with the way the Catalina handles the slop in any direction I point her in - and my wife and kids are much more at ease as compared to the 20' we had.

"MY WAY"

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 04 2009 at 15:29 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

I have been contemplating keeping my new boat on the south shore so I can skip out to Fire Island. There are a few private slips in Blue Point pretty inexpensive. No slips here on the north shore.

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 04 2009 at 21:09 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

I found a '67 31' commander for sale just a few towns over from me! I am trying to contact the owner but have had no luck. Hopefully I can see her tomorrow! From what I understand the '64-'72 commanders were built of all fiberglass with thick layers about 1 /34" thick. If that's true she should cut through the water like butter!

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 07 2009 at 07:37 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

ewwwwww, that boat sucked!!

BUT, I found another and was very pleased on initial inspection.

• 1972 31' Commander
  • Orig motors with 770 hours that according to the owner run great. We will be meeting on the boat tomorrow so he can put his money where his mouth is.
  • Fiberglass hull is in excellent shape throughout.
  • Interior is clean minus a missing bunk. No problem with that, just saves me from ripping it out as I am going to do a complete modern customization of the interior.
  • No sign of moisture in the hull or interior. Seems to be well cared for considering she has been sitting on dry dock uncovered for 2 years. No flaking paint on the decks which is really impressive compared to some others I have seen.
Of course the first step would be to get power to the boat, check electrical system and get her running. If all goes well there... survey time!

???? Can anyone tell me what engines these are????

Edited by NoGin on March 07 2009 at 08:09

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: March 07 2009 at 08:51 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

No Gin - Ok, you bought into surveyor requiement.  Now go find an engine surveyor!  That's a pretty nasty looking pair of engines.  How long has the starboard engine been sitting with no carb on on it?  I wonder how many "critters" have built their homes in the cylinders!   I'll will guarntee you, if this vessel has been sitting for two years, there is plenty of rust on the cam lobes, cylinder walls, possible stuck rings.  No matter how clean the rest of the boat is, you had better be prepared to spend some big bucks on engine work.  If you do get them running, I would not take the family out until ALL hose have been replaced.  No Gin........get an engine surveyor or ask your structural surveyor if he is a qualified engine surveyor (usually has an "E" designator in his qualifications if he is a SAMS surveyor).

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 11 2009 at 07:45 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Will do, thanks. I plan on doing the following right off the bat:

• 2 new deep cycle batteries
  • Replace all hoses
  • Replace all belts
  • Rebuild both alternators
  • Drain all fluids and replace
  • Scrape, sand, prep and paint both engines
  • Address portside cylinder rust and "mess."
  • Install portside rebuilt carb
  • Install both sides rebuilt starters
  • re-wire electric and upgrade to new standard
and anything else that will surely arise as we go on.

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: March 11 2009 at 08:00 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

NoGin,

the amount of money that you are willing to spend on a vessel to repair and refit is substantial.  I would think that there are many boats for sale for less money that are already updated. 

Also, the vintage year(s) of the boats that you are looking at will have a great deal of corrosion and oxidation due to the slat water.  A fresh water boat the same age will have considerably less deterioration. 

Just a few thoughts for your purchase.

Lake Superior
Wisconsin

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 11 2009 at 08:04 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

I appreciate that.

However, I just bought her yesterday! Got, what I believe to be, a great deal! I don't kiss and tell, but I will say I will has a nice sized budget for repairs and upgrades. I also have a solid few weeks before  my business season hits to now is the time to dedicate to her.

My first task - Engine! Any and all help with the CC 327Q closed cooling engines would be much appreciated!!!

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 14 2009 at 14:16 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Yes I am a bit overwhelmed at this point with all these engines need! 

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: March 14 2009 at 17:11 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

NoGin - I feel for you.  I had hoped that my "gentle" questioning of the engine compartment would have you get a mechanic on board! A boat that has been sitting for two years, AND with one carb missing, is trying it's best to tell you something.

If the hull and interior are in good enough condition that you do not need to $$$$ on that part of the boat, you'll need to $pend $$$$$ in the engine compartment.  Where was your surveryor on this deal??  And what was his opinion?

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: March 14 2009 at 17:30 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

NoGin - I do not know if anyone got back to you on the engines or not, but during this era, Chris Craft marinized their own engines.  The engines are GM 327 cubic inch engines and, in their day, probably performed very well on a boat that this size.  HOWEVER, finding parts for these vintage engine (from a marine part perspective) will take patience and persistence.  You may require aftermarket parts.  Good luck on the fit and performance.  Example: good friend buys a 1986 Marinette 37' with twin Chrysler 360's.  These engines are actually Ford truck blocks, marinzed by Chrysler and were then installed in these boats.  Years go by, friend buys the boat at good deal price, within two seasons engines go south.  Friend decides to "overhaul" engines against my advice of installing a pair of GM 350's.  Engines had cam problems, overhaul company supposedly made them "right".  Engines run good for about a couple of weekends and the rest of the summer spent trying to get them to run "right".  Boat sat idle all fall and now on blocks.  Friend is now pricing twin GM 350's.  Several thousand dollars down the drain trying to "save" old engines no longer in production.

At any rate, I truly wish you good luck and I hope you can get the ol' ponies up and running!  Who knows?  They may have some life left in them after all.

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 14 2009 at 20:54 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Don't get me wrong, I am very worried and starting to think perhaps I made the wrong decision. Just for S&Gs.. what's your take on this?

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: March 14 2009 at 21:12 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

NoGin - This is not the picture you gave us a few posts back.  So now I'm confused.  My comments were based on that photo, NOT this one. I'll say it again! Get a marine mechanic or engine surveyor to perform a survey on these engines.  You simply do not know what you have hear until you do.  An engine survey should have been part of your purchase process.  Good luck.

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: March 14 2009 at 21:17 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

NoGin - Move this thread to the Catalina thread.  You will receive many more responses.  That is if you have purchased a Catalina.

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 14 2009 at 21:37 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

This latest picture is of twin Chrysler 318s that were installed about 2 years ago but with just 50 hours on them on a '76 Silverton I looked at. I am looking at these engines and comparing them to mine on the Chris Craft.

I am second guessing everything and am thinking of buying the Silverton now. Yes I already bought the Chris but I may be able to get out of it.  Long and boring story. I just keep going back to the Silver.   AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: March 14 2009 at 22:11 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

NoGin - sir, you need to pick a boat that you can sea trial with a surveyor on board and stop looking at or attempting to buy a "pig-in-a-poke".  Those "deals" rarely work in your favor.  Would you buy a car and not hear it run and drive it down the road?  I don't think so.  Once again, I repeat, get a surveyor for the hull, get a surveyor or mechanic to go over the engines, run the darn thing on a sea trial and make sure it will run to spec and speed!  This boat could have a saturated hull, bad trannys, etc.  How about applicances?  What about the plumbing? Is the electrical system safe? Are the thru-hull fittings serviceable? What works, what doesn't? HOW SAFE IS THE BOAT?

All of these things cost MONEY!  Think about it and sleep on it.  A few hundred bucks to a surveyor can save you thousands in the short or long run.

Again, I'm not trying to rain on your parade.  I'm just trying to help you "keep it real".

Now......you need to take this post to the Silverton forum and see what those folks tell you.  Later......................and out.

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 15 2009 at 07:23 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

I know. You are right. I really do love the Chris but I think it may need to much. I have a mechanic coming over to inspect her this morning and give me his opinion.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: March 15 2009 at 20:32 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi NoGin,

When I bought my Catalina 280 I used this surveyor, his name is Charles.  He is the first surveyor I have hired and I though he did a great job.  http://www.marinetechnology.info/index.htm 

He did the inspection on land then a sea trial.  He gave be a 20-something page report telling me about everything good-bad-otherwise about the boat...

The only inspection I did not opt for was the oil analysis but the new motor had very few hours on it and everything else he checked seemed ok.  If there were any suspecions I would have had it checked, but it ran great during the sea trial and the oild was very clean and may not have uncovered anything.  He also confirmed the most important part for me - that the hull was solid, no delamination, no moisture, no sign of blistering.  Above the rub rail there were a few wet spots but no delamination except for the lazarette hatch which I could  lainly see for my self as when I stepped on it, water oozed out of pin holes in the gelcoat.  I easily fixed this hatch myself by removing the core, drying it out and recoring the hatch.

Money on the survey was well spent especially since it allowed me to get hull insurance coverage.

I would recommend Charles (or another surveyor) if you need someone to check out the Chris after your mechanic inspects and if he gives the thumbs up on the motors to see if it is worth spending $$$ on her (or any other boat you consider).  Who knows, maybe all she needs is new motors and a few minor things and you'll have a real gem.  You can always install a bracket with a couple of 4-stroke outboards on the stern and "put in a wine cellar" down below  (that line is from Disney's Boatnicks movie)

Anyway, good luck and we look forward to hearing what happens.

Tom

"MY WAY"

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 15 2009 at 20:46 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Thanks Tom. The mechanic looked everything over today and was pretty optimistic. He was able to crank the engines by hand which is a start. I am installing the rebuilt starters tomorrow then he will come back for a compression test and coolant system check. I also contacted a local surveyor that came highly recommended to me so if the tests go well tomorrow I will have the surveyor give her a good check over.

If that goes well we will give her fresh fluids, new hoses and belts, new alternators and fire her up. Then go from there.

]
] ]
2 Pages 1 2

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version