View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Water Pump Rebuild. Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: January 12 2009 at 13:18 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hi, gang. Got the pump rebuild kit complete with new bearings. Took the pump home and attacked it Saturday in my garage. Clamped it in a 6" vice and removed back of the pump. Next drove out the roll pin that holds the pulley mount to the shaft. Pulley mount does not want to come off. Attach gear puller and it wont budge. Threaded 2 5/16 ss bolts into the mount to push against the front of the pump housing. Tightening the bolts and the gear puller at the same time it started to move. Continued this process until mount is off the shaft. Fought me all the way. Bought a new set of snap ring pliers from napa just to remove snap rings inside the pump. These hold the bearings and shaft in place. Pliers are defective. Supposed to lock in place for both internal snap rings and external snap rings. But they don't. See how things go for me? And my wife wonders why I drink. Remove snap rings with whatever I have handy. Place pump in vice. Tap end of shaft but it dosen't budge. Obtain large rubber mallot and beat the end of shaft mercilessly. Shaft comes out. Remove snap rings that hold bearings onto shaft. Put shaft in vice with rags between the jaws so it won't scrar the shaft. Tap the bearings with a hammer. bearings don't budge, Obtain drift pin and hammer.  Attack Bearing. Bearing budges. Continue assault on first bearing. I win. Shaft spacer between bearings comes off easily. Not so bearing #2. Assalt bearing with hammer and drift pin. I win again. open first beer. Clean shaft of rust, grease sealer etc. A few nicks on shaft so I remove them with emery cloth. Apply Grease to insde of bearings. Bearings refuse to slide down shaft. Hit the shaft again with emery cloth. Still won't go on. Put the shaft in the freezer. Open second beer. Putting shaft in the freezer will shrink it. We do this in the hinckley yard with cutlass bearings. Freeze them and they slide right into place. Take shaft from freezer and place in vice. Bearings slid halfway down shaft. They recieve encouragement from a hammer and they are in place. install snap rings on shaft. Install shaft bearing assembly into pump housing. Install snap rings to secure assembly into housing. Try to install pulley mount onto shaft. No go. Put pump back in freezer.  Hit the inside of pulley mount with emery cloth several times. Try again, this time with teflon grease and hammer. Mount goes on shaft kicking and screaming all the way. I win again.  Installed new impeller, wear plate and impeller cam. Assembled back of pump to pump housing. Open 3rd beer. Time to rebuild start to finish, 4 hours and 3 beers. Should have taken an hour or so and 1 beer.  Time to install on boat, 30 Min. and 2 beers. Take defective snap ring tool back to napa. Napa guy plays with it for 20 min. trying to make it work. I leave with a $38.00 refund. Stop by a beer store, buy a case of Miller Light. On sale. Finally something goes right.

Tight lines and cold beer, Capt. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: January 12 2009 at 21:11 | IP Logged Quote floater251

And our Hero, Capt Heavy, lives on, undefeated!! he conquers with blood, sweat, and beers!!!! (and a hammer)

Floater

BluesBarge
"Seaman"

Posted: January 13 2009 at 22:33 | IP Logged Quote BluesBarge

I had issues with the carbon bushing on a raw water pump.  Chipped it out a piece at a time.  Didn't have access to a press so set the new bushing in, with a hammer and wood block, very carefully.  I can definitly feel the fun!

M/V Fun Size
                 HADDONFIELD, NJ
Back to Top Printable version View BluesBarge's Profile Search for other posts by BluesBarge

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: January 14 2009 at 07:37 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Blue. Thats a fine looking Chris ya got there. Is it a 35 or 38? Where do you boat? I live in N.J. in a little town named Penns Grove till I was about 26. Boated on the De. river and bay, then the Chesapeake, now S.E. Florida. I also didn't have a press, so I had to be very careful not to damage the bearings while installing them. Capt. Heavy

BluesBarge
"Seaman"

Posted: January 14 2009 at 19:15 | IP Logged Quote BluesBarge

<Singing off key> He ain't heavy, he's my brother...

Hey Capt. Heavy, yes, I know that area of South Jersey well.  We cruise our 35 in the upper Chesapeake.  Last few seasons out of Bohemia River and next season on the Sassafras.  Would like to winter aboard a boat, after I retire, in FL or, Bahamas, or further south?  Who knows.

Yeah, the right tool for the job...  A wood and hammer press.

M/V Fun Size
                 HADDONFIELD, NJ
Back to Top Printable version View BluesBarge's Profile Search for other posts by BluesBarge

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: January 15 2009 at 08:08 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Blue, small world. We also kept our 251 cat and our 331 corinthian at 2 rivers yacht basin and at the bohemia bay yacht basin and also the little marina next to the bridge. Latter moved the boat to Rock Hall @ North Point Marina, one of my favorite spots of all. W found a secluded streach of beach about 2 mi. north of rock hall we named bare a.. beach. Lots of fun. Miss the bay, but not the cold winters. Would love to do a month long cruise there. Heavy

BluesBarge
"Seaman"

Posted: January 16 2009 at 23:07 | IP Logged Quote BluesBarge

Well Heavy,

If you make it back up here we would love to hang on a hook and swap stories.  Maybe it will be when we become snow birds and follow the warmth to FL and the Bahamas.

M/V Fun Size
                 HADDONFIELD, NJ

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version