View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Cobia
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Cobia
Subject Topic: Strange Leak - Cobia 23 Walkaround Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Pin Fish
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 19 2008 at 11:33 | IP Logged Quote Pin Fish

I have a 1999 23' Cobia Walk Around. It's actually called a Cobia 220. I've noticed that my bilge pump goes on when I power up to a plane while the bow is fairly high in the air. The water has either come from rain water or from washing down the cockpit after a fishing trip. I wonder if any other owners of Cobia have experienced the same thing. I've looked for a leak but there is no obvious place and I am looking for anyone how has had a similar experience and where you've been able to find the source of water???

Thanks for your help!

AB

Mark CRAY 200cc
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 02 2008 at 15:21 | IP Logged Quote Mark CRAY 200cc

HOW DO. I HAVE A COBIA AS WELL..see the reply for cushions. my cooler in front of the center console drains thru to the bilge. i was baffled by the water issue as well until i did not put ice in for a short run and had no issues then went looking. mine has a drain in the center console itself and the cooler drained thru it then back to the bilge. you will also find if you have a forward anchor locker it drains all the way thru as well...hope that helps   Mark

Edited by Mark CRAY 200cc on December 02 2008 at 15:22
Back to Top Printable version View Mark CRAY 200cc's Profile Search for other posts by Mark CRAY 200cc

Pin Fish
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 02 2008 at 16:25 | IP Logged Quote Pin Fish

Hi Mark:
Thanks for the reply to my strange leak. I have a walkaround and a fish box that drains overboard with a thru hull that I've checked = not the source. I think the anchor locker may be the best bet for my next check but that doesn't explain the water after washing down the cockpit or rain water.

Appreciate your thoughts,

Alan aka Pin Fish
Back to Top Printable version View Pin Fish's Profile Search for other posts by Pin Fish

Mark CRAY 200cc
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 05 2008 at 08:22 | IP Logged Quote Mark CRAY 200cc

YESSIR,  your welcome. my forward fishboxes drain out the side thru hulls as well.
             no drains any where in the cabin or helm area that might go to bilge. not sure how your scuppers are but mine is in dry storage most of the time in Florida and the scuppers had some stuff in from the previous owner that allowed hose down water to run up into my center console  drain on the detail rack and show up later at the next launch..cleared the scuppers and that stopped..   cheers
Back to Top Printable version View Mark CRAY 200cc's Profile Search for other posts by Mark CRAY 200cc

Pin Fish
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 07 2008 at 21:01 | IP Logged Quote Pin Fish

Hi Again Mark:

Have you ever had your through hulls pressure tested. If so, how would you go about doing that without a yard charging you big bucks. A bit of reassurance is what I'm looking for that that is not the source of the water.

Thanks,
Alan - Pin Fish
Back to Top Printable version View Pin Fish's Profile Search for other posts by Pin Fish

Hogfish Hunter
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 08 2008 at 19:56 | IP Logged Quote Hogfish Hunter

Pin Fish,

I have a cobia as well and the anchor locker is definitely an issue. Another thing you might think about is do you have any access plates anywhere on the boat? I know it doesn't seam like they would let much water through but you would be suprised. If you have any access plates, deck hatches, ect. you might try checking the seals on them. If the seals are bad they will let rain and wash down water in. Also, if you have rod holders on the inside sides of your boat water can get down in them when you are hosing the boat down. These are just a few things that I can think of but when it comes to boats there are so many possibilities. Hope this helps.

Back to Top Printable version View Hogfish Hunter's Profile Search for other posts by Hogfish Hunter

Pin Fish
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 08 2008 at 21:59 | IP Logged Quote Pin Fish

Hay Hogfish Hunter!

Thanks for the ideas. I thought of the anchor locker but haven't tackled it yet. Also I'm thinking of the pad eye on the bow that the trailer chain attaches to. Lost caulking there could allow salt water in. You're right about access plates and I have a call in to replace those gaskets. Good thoughts and much appreciated!!

What kind and year is your Cobia and how long have you had it?

Pin Fish aka Alan

Hogfish Hunter
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 08 2008 at 22:44 | IP Logged Quote Hogfish Hunter

My cobia is actually 2001 196cc so it is a little smaller than yours and its a center consol but my achor locker is the same way as yours. I have had that boat for three and a half years. We also have a 2004 27cc Hydra Sport and we actually had the access plate problem on that boat. It was so bad that it ruined our batteries. We replaced the gaskets and its been good ever sense.

Back to Top Printable version View Hogfish Hunter's Profile Search for other posts by Hogfish Hunter

Pin Fish
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 09 2008 at 08:49 | IP Logged Quote Pin Fish

Thanks again Hogfish Hunter.

How are your boats powered. I'm thinking of repowering with a Suzuki. Any experience with those engines?

Pinfish/AB

Hogfish Hunter
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 09 2008 at 19:08 | IP Logged Quote Hogfish Hunter

We have never used Suzukis but I have heard a lot of good about them. We have Yamahas and we love them. We have used the Honda 4-strokes also and they were great engines. If I were you and I was going to stend the money to repower I would look into the the E-techs. You will spend a little more but the reviews are awesome on the E-tech. Horse power for horse power the E-tech is lighter, faster, and most importantly better on fuel than any other engine out right now even the 4-strokes. Either way you go I think you will be happy. From what I have heard the Suzukis are great engines.

Pin Fish
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 09 2008 at 19:52 | IP Logged Quote Pin Fish

Thanks for your thoughts!!
Pinfish

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version