View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Carver
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Carver
Subject Topic: ’84 Mariner 28 Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
buckb
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 09 2008 at 10:03 | IP Logged Quote buckb

I recently "inherited" an ' 84 Mariner that went down by the stern in Ike.  I have the boat refloated and have started the wonderful job of cleanup.  The waterline went as high as about half way up the bunk in the stateroom or forward bedroom.  I'm new to this world so please forgive me if I don't know all the correct terminology as of yet.  Anyway, I lost all 3 hatch / engine covers when she went down and am desperately seeking to find replacements.  This is a beautiful boat and I am determined to bring her back to as near perfect a state as I possibly can.  There will be tons of questions coming in the future so I beg the patience of the "sea dogs" out there and help this pup get up and going.

Thanks a bunch from a newbie!! 

Back to Top Printable version View buckb's Profile Search for other posts by buckb

Out'nAbout
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 09 2008 at 10:39 | IP Logged Quote Out'nAbout

Did it go down in Salt (Sea) Water or fresh water? If it went down in Sea Water the wiring will never be reliable unless replaced. I'd reconsider the job & never forget you'll never get close to the pre sunk value on a salvaged boat. Very few will ever consider buying it at any price. Worse, they will have good sound reason to avoid it.

Back to Top Printable version View Out'nAbout's Profile Search for other posts by Out'nAbout

buckb
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 09 2008 at 17:21 | IP Logged Quote buckb

She went down in Ofats Bayou on Galveston Island.  To be honest, not even thinking about the resale value of the boat.  Already planned on rewiring, replacing flooring, engines, etc., but if a Carver is as good a boat as they appear to be, and have the reputation of being, then I figure me and this ol' gal should be able to have quite a few good years together after it is all said and done.  The only part of the job I am going to require outside assistance on is the engine cause I just don't have any way to get the suckers out.  If I did, I have built enough small block Chevy's in my day that I could do that part as well, aside from the cooling and exhause system.  I know it's gonna be a chore, but it is also a labor of love, I've never had anything other than a small fishing boat and a small ski rig so being given this boat is kinda making it all worth while as I would never be able to afford a beast like this on the open market, if ya know what I mean.
Back to Top Printable version View buckb's Profile Search for other posts by buckb

Out'nAbout
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 09 2008 at 18:22 | IP Logged Quote Out'nAbout

If you can look at it as fun or therapy you'll get plenty of returns in stress relief. Maybe you'll want to post some before & after picts?

Back to Top Printable version View Out'nAbout's Profile Search for other posts by Out'nAbout

Bob on this
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 24 2009 at 19:46 | IP Logged Quote Bob on this

Don't know if this guy is still working on this or not? (a couple months old) If so;

Did the hull get "holed" during the storm, or just swamped.

I think that year of Carver had a cored hull, and they all had coring in the hull sides.

If this coring gets wet, and you don't get it good and dry before fixing the hole, the core will rot and make the boat (hull) worthless.

Just my 2 cents

Bob

Edited by Bob on this on March 24 2009 at 19:49

glpowercruiser
"Seaman"

Posted: March 25 2009 at 00:07 | IP Logged Quote glpowercruiser

Bob is right, rotten coring is a real problem.  I have heard that rotten coring, depending on how much, can be repaired.

If you can get your hands on a moisture meter, scope out the hull.  Also tap the hull all over and listen for any sound changes in the area that was submersed.

Ron

Back to Top Printable version View glpowercruiser's Profile Search for other posts by glpowercruiser

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version