View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

View Last Post 1963 Constellation 42
Last Post By: eshover

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:19

]
] ]

Doral
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Doral
Subject Topic: Intrigue comments Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
NW_Vermont
"Seaman"

Posted: September 19 2008 at 13:46 | IP Logged Quote NW_Vermont

Hi all.  The Intrigue/31 is a pretty popular boat here on these forums. 

I had the opportunity to drive one recently as a test drive.  I have a few questions for you.

On my Monticello, when leaning on the helm bolster flipped up, I can see right over the windshield and when on proper plane my sight lines to the horizon are just over the bow rails.  During my test drive, I noticed in the same position, the top of the windshield and the tall bow rails significantly obstructed my view.  I'm 5'-9" and may have to drive standing up all the time so I can see.  Please share your thoughts. 

Secondly, when coming off plane there was a significant amount of water washing up on the swim platform and coming real close to entering the cockpit via the transom door.  This happened even when not chopping the throttles.  Has this been a problem to anybody?  What about at idle in rough seas?

The forward berth-  I haven't seen the factory sheets yet.  What position do you put your heads in if two adults are sleeping up there?

Thanks in advance.

Ernesto
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 19 2008 at 14:00 | IP Logged Quote Ernesto

I used to own one.

1- On the visibility issue, I was never bothered by the bow rails, I'd rather have nice and high (safe) rails than low ones.  I did always stood up, leaning back against the bolster, and saw over the windshield.  I'm 5'11", so that may be the difference.  I could never sit at the helm on plane, the windshield felt too small to really look through, IMO...  But I basically  feel that way about most typical express boats out there.

2- Yes my platform got soaked most of the times when I came of plane.  Eventually I learned how to come down at the right speed to minimize this, but it took some effort.  It never washed into the cockpit though, the 3-4" step from the platfrom to the cockpit suceeded in preventing this.  Following seas were not a problem ever for us though, but we hardly ever ran big following seas at displacement speed, so it's hard to know if it could possibly be an issue.

The forward berth was re-designed since the 2004 model that I used to own, so I can't comment on that.

Back to Top Printable version View Ernesto's Profile Search for other posts by Ernesto

NW_Vermont
"Seaman"

Posted: September 19 2008 at 14:06 | IP Logged Quote NW_Vermont

Thanks Ernesto.

It is a 2004 that I'm looking at.

Ernesto
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 19 2008 at 14:12 | IP Logged Quote Ernesto

Well, the bed is symmetrical, so you take your side and just accept that the little tip returning to the aft on the other side of the bed is wasted space.  Your heads are near the bow, you're lying at an angle parallel to the outside edge of the bed, along the hull.  Tallest person forward, as it gets shorter for the second person because of the shape of the bed along the dinnette.  The factory mattress is dreadfully stiff (at least it will not bottom out), so we ended up buying a mattress memory foam topper for the aft bed and used that one most of the time (it's a standard full size, so it was easy to buy, I got it at Costco).  I'm guessing you can get one made for the forward berth but the shape is a challenge, you may need to cut it yourself.

Back to Top Printable version View Ernesto's Profile Search for other posts by Ernesto

Doral 310
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 19 2008 at 14:20 | IP Logged Quote Doral 310

We are just finishing our 6th season with our 310 and we are still in love with it.  We also has a 250 before our 310.  I'm 5'-10" a don't have a problem while standing, sometimes while seated I sit on a throwable cusion to get a better view.  And if i'm on a long trip I will stand on the cusion to help absorb the waves.

We also have the water come up on the platform and on occasion into the boat.  Has this been a problem, no.  But I make it a point to slow down longer and keep the bow up to avoid the water entering the boat. 

As for the sheets for the front birth, we us a fitted king sheet.  Start with one corner, work it around the matress and tuck the excess under.  If you keep you head at the bow you and your partner sleep in a "V"shape. Or if your partner is shorter you can sleep across.

If your thinking of moving up, the 310 is a great boat.  We also have two kids and have plenty of space.

Back to Top Printable version View Doral 310's Profile Search for other posts by Doral 310

NW_Vermont
"Seaman"

Posted: November 11 2008 at 15:40 | IP Logged Quote NW_Vermont

Well, we just about did it.  Everything is in order.

We have the OEM V-Berth sheets coming to us, so that won't be much of a problem.  We'll take a close look at how hard the mattress is.  Hopefully I won't be sleeping "going downhill" like we had to on the sloped Monti v-berth.  That will be a treat!

So, when we take delivery of this boat, does anybody have any handy hints to help set up the boat?  Ya know, the stuff it takes days, months or even years to figure out. 

Many thanks for the replies above and apologies for not saying thank you sooner.

NW_Vermont

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version