View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Thompson Marine
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Thompson Marine
Subject Topic: Thompson 288 Service Manual Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
sarge010
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 07 2008 at 12:06 | IP Logged Quote sarge010

I have had my 1988 Thompson 288 or about six years and have been doing the odd rewiring job from time to time. Have been looking on the web for about 3 years looking for a service manual or something that would help me trace wiring. No luck so far and was wondering if anybody knows whether a manual does exist for my boat. If anyone has one, I would like to obtain a copy somehow. Help!

Lake Simcoe, Ontario
Back to Top Printable version View sarge010's Profile Search for other posts by sarge010

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: September 07 2008 at 12:40 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

hey sarge-

i'm gonna say NO. however there ARE some good manuals out there and some really great info i can lead you to.

also some really good deals i've found while doing mine......there may be some pics down in my thread...(been a while since i've updated pics on this thread.)

mine is coming along quite well---i'm a couple bilge pumps and a couple blowers away from dropping the engines back in!  yahoo! i'll be boating by christmas!

what specifically are you re-wiring? unload your questions! we can get answers!

454 Mags/Bravo1's (replants!)
Hudson,Florida
Back to Top Printable version View waterlogged's Profile Search for other posts by waterlogged

sarge010
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 07 2008 at 21:19 | IP Logged Quote sarge010

Thanks Chuck for the quick reply. Just want to clean up the wiring on the boat. Whomever owned it before me had cut between 15 and 20 wires behind the lower helm and left them unmarked and untaped. Everything works more or less fine but I want to clean up all the spagetti and label all the new unmarked wires that he spliced in. It's a daunting task when he has used all black wires during his ownership of the boat. In particular I want to trace the sychronizer wires back to the engine and also the temperature/oil gauge wires from the upper helm. I have ran into 2 other Thompson 288's over the last 6 years and neither of them had a manual either.

Lake Simcoe, Ontario
Back to Top Printable version View sarge010's Profile Search for other posts by sarge010

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: September 08 2008 at 10:24 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

wow! ouch! all black wire....GREAT!

i think you can buy mercruiser engine to dash wire harnesses but i'm not sure what that entails exactly. i can look at mine and maybe take some shots of the colors and kinda map it out.

mine has been "hacked" but not as bad as THAT! my project is mostly engine/batteries/switches/engine compartment.

there are 4 batteries on this boat. they were all wired as if they were starting batteries......a 16 gauge wire from the key switch on the port engine RAN ALL OF THE HOUSE STUFF! not sure if that was thompsons "better idea" or .....all i know is: people sure do wierd stuff to boat wiring.

did you get a chance to catch some of the pics --look for any thread i started.

just do yourself a favor--use high quality tinned marine wire and tinned connectors and shrink wrap everything with the adhiesive linned shrinkwrap.

AND dont solder anything.

as far as the pics go.....i'll either be home tommorow night OR it may not be for a couple more weeks..i'll keep you posted

Hudson,Florida
Back to Top Printable version View waterlogged's Profile Search for other posts by waterlogged

sarge010
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 08 2008 at 20:48 | IP Logged Quote sarge010

The recessed cleat looks great as well as the battery switch box. Looks like you did a great job. I will wait for a while to see if any Thompson 288 owners log on to this forum and notice my posting. In the meantime, I will probably call a few people that have 288's for sale and maybe I might luck out if one of them can provide me with an owners/wiring manual. Talk to you on the next posting.

Lake Simcoe, Ontario

superbubbadude
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 21 2009 at 15:50 | IP Logged Quote superbubbadude

Hey Sarge:

This is my 2nd Year with my Thompson 288 from the year 1984. I'm still trying to figure out all the components ie Head, Wash-out system, stove, pretty much everything. I'm hoping you might be able to shed some light on this. I too am trying to track down any information regarding thompson boats for the 288 series, I'll keep you posted. Maybe we can help each other here.

Don from Michigan

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 21 2009 at 18:47 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

hey don from mich.,

ask away! we can get you answers here!

Hudson,Florida

superbubbadude
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 21 2009 at 19:19 | IP Logged Quote superbubbadude

Well 1st off, I feel kind of stupid, I relied on my children to do the walkthru when we were shown how everything works, now they have moved out of the area and about the only thing I know is how to fuel the boat and operate it (Barely) those twin engines give me fits as I try to 'pivot' in and out of the docks. Always an adventure there LOL. The Head has me confused. How do I get water to it to flush? I look at the survey and it says self contained with holding tank and deck pumpout and I'm like huh?  Theres 2 sinks and water hookups outside but cant figure those out either. HELP!!! I've been boating a long time but this is by far the biggest boat I've ever had and will be the boat I die in I'm sure because even though I dont know it well (yet) I love it. Thanks for taking the time to respond and hopefully you'll take me under your wing and show me how to fly.. or boat LOL.. Anyways, Thank you Chuck

Don

1984 Thompson 288

Wyandotte, Mi

Don B
"Seaman"

Posted: April 21 2009 at 23:25 | IP Logged Quote Don B

hey Don,

This is Don from Wisconsin with a 255 Carrara.

My first suggestion would be to contact the previous owner and ask for help.  I did and he had no problem and was happy to assist.

Thompsons were all-in-all a well made boat.  in the later years, MINE, they had a few problems with the floor, I replaced it.

One other thing that helped me out was to ask for information/assistance from other boaters in your marina.  Most boaters will go out of their way to help another out.

Good luck with the twins.  my next will have them and everybody that i have spoken to LOVES theirs.

best of luck

Don
'91 255 Carrara

Menasha, WI
Back to Top Printable version View Don B's Profile Search for other posts by Don B

NO-OHMS
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 22 2009 at 11:59 | IP Logged Quote NO-OHMS

Hello don from Mich,

I have owned my 228 for 3 years,only one season in the water, I am in the middle of ainside out rebuild. I am intimate with this model of thompson boat.

Is your head electric or manual, The valve to get water to the head is located just in front of the starboard engine there should be a through hull fitting with a valve on it.  the discharge piping and wye valve are also in that same area.

My 228 is 1989 model and I love this boat. The hull is well built and lots of room inside.

Mark from Maine

Back to Top Printable version View NO-OHMS's Profile Search for other posts by NO-OHMS

superbubbadude
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 22 2009 at 16:16 | IP Logged Quote superbubbadude

It is a manual head... I'm going to get inside there and crawl around and get a little dirty to figure these things out. I do see 2 valves in front of the SB engine both of which lead towards the aft section of the hull under the waterline Im going to trace these 2 tomorrow to see where they lead me. I am a rather large guy and moving about is somewhat difficult but hey by the time I get done, I'll be smaller, healthier, and a whole lot smarter too.

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 22 2009 at 19:00 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

hey don-the twin engine thing just takes alot of prctice---hey-almost every marina has a guy around that is more then happy to take money in exchange for some hands-on docking lessons......i've never done it but others tell me it is money well spent!

your head probably has a pump that you simply pump up and down kinda like a bicycle tire pump. you'll notice a lever style switch next to the pump handle. switched to one side pulls water in from outside and begins to fill and swirl water in the head-then you switch to the other side to expel the water and poopy.

those thru-hull valves you've found in the bilge area are the intake (smaller valve and hose) and the exit (bigger valve and hose). down there somewhere you will also find what we call a macerator pump(chops up the poopy and pumps it overboard....as long as you are in legal dumping water (could be 3 miles could be 12 miles) depends on where you live/boat. WARNING: dont get caught pumping it out INSIDE of the legal limit!!

my thompson has a key switch to run the pump. found at the ac/dc electrical panel (don't run it dry!)

the "pump-out" is located up on the deck somewhere. mine is on the "walk" area just next to the helm(drivers seat). it is a 1.5 inch screw in lid/cap that looks very much like the fuel fills. certain marinas have "pump out stations" or sometimes you will find mobile pumpout caddy's or even pumpout boats. it is simply a suction/vacuum device that plugs into that pump out fitting and evacuates the tank.

simply: two differant ways to get the poopy out!

the sinks drain straight to the outside by way of a thru-hull fitting located near by the sink. there IS a water hook-up inlet to fill the fresh water tank and have running water while at dock. it is probably near the pump-out fitting but looks like you hook the male end of an ordinary gharden hose to it  (but use the good camper/boat drinking water hose)

you'll probably find the tank under the forward berth. pull up the matress and probably some panels and look under there---might find the water heater down there too.

locating this stuff will be alot easier with the input of the guys here with 288's.

my "black water" tank (poopy tank) is under the flooring in the aft cabin/berth area. had to pull up the carpet and un-screww the floor panel to replace it!

not sure where you'll find yours.

anyway--here's a good start-now, how bout some hard ones....

Hudson,Florida

NO-OHMS
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 23 2009 at 06:32 | IP Logged Quote NO-OHMS

Hi Don

Crawling around any boat is always tight no matter what size you are.  most 228 have there black water(poopy tank)in the aft part of the engine space between the transmisions and just foward of the batteries down in the bildge. your water heater is on the SB right next to the engine, and your fresh water tank is on the port side in front of the other engine.  My v berth has storage drawers and compartment.

as for the twins ,with the flybridge there is alot of area for wind to move you around,getting help is always good advice and then practice,practice, practice,I had veteran captain tell me that its not a race to dock your boat take your time and remember when you are driving your boat you are the captain so you are in charge of how long it takes, I am still struggling with docking my self.

I hope this helps. When I get more time I will post some pictures of my 228 project, and I will always be glad to answer questions.

Mark

1989 228

Back to Top Printable version View NO-OHMS's Profile Search for other posts by NO-OHMS

superbubbadude
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 23 2009 at 13:44 | IP Logged Quote superbubbadude

I want to thank you guys for taking the time to help me get "aquainted" with my boat. I feel like a kid on a new and exciting adventure when I explore the boat. Like I said, its a whole different world from anything I've ever had but now that I'm older, I find it convient. When younger, I remember looking at these bigger boats and thinking "No way" I catch as many fish as those 'dudes' with the Big Cabin boats, Of course being younger, LOL I was able to control my lets say functions better LOL But you know? Now I can fish, I can cruise, All in comfort, and take my nap on my couch in my boat. Ahh the life I have missed!!! I wouldnt want it any other way. If I knew then what I am learning now...

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 23 2009 at 16:28 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

hey mark--looking forward to the pics of the project....

there's a few projects going on this board. if you have time, check them out--lots of pictures.

Hudson,Florida

adiver2b
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 07 2009 at 14:23 | IP Logged Quote adiver2b

Hi have you looked behind the mirror in the head area? There is a major wiring junction there on mine, a 1986.  

Back to Top Printable version View adiver2b's Profile Search for other posts by adiver2b

superbubbadude
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 07 2009 at 18:52 | IP Logged Quote superbubbadude

Actually No I never thought to look in that area for any kind of wiring or lines But I will when I head back out there. Thanks for the info.

Don

adiver2b
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 08 2009 at 08:16 | IP Logged Quote adiver2b

Hi Don

I was surprised at the amount of wires and the method of connection used. It took about 3 evenings to reterminate everything to insulated junction blocks.

Hope you are not scared if yours is as bad as mine was.

Back to Top Printable version View adiver2b's Profile Search for other posts by adiver2b

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 08 2009 at 08:43 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

horrible isn't it?

i used to call it the rats nest. not any more!

Hudson,Florida

superbubbadude
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 11 2009 at 17:44 | IP Logged Quote superbubbadude

Yeah.. I did take a look and was like "Oh wow" The wires did seem to be in good shape from what I could see, Based on information I found, the boat looks to have been rewired early in 2001. So I guess I lucked out there.

Don

"Kool Breeze"

1984 Thompson FB 288

Wyandotte, Mi

NO-OHMS
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 14 2009 at 09:07 | IP Logged Quote NO-OHMS

You got to luv production boats.  None of them to this very day are known for great wiring. As a former marine electrician I have seen my share of rats nests,anything you do can be an improvement on most boats.

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 14 2009 at 12:59 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

your right,however, some of the higher-line (big-bucks) boats sure know how to do things right.

we have tried take the best of many differant boat brands and rebuild ours in that fashion. (this crappy economy has me in a holding pattern again!)

hull to deck joint for instance...all bolted together now. instead of pop rivets or screws. all fittings are now the highest quality that can be purchased...etc etc. you can see where i'm going with this right?

wiring is no place to scrimp in my opinion. fires suck on a boat!

it may take a little extra wire and/or time to wire something correctly rather then hack&patchin'. it's always the right choice.

Hudson,Florida

adiver2b
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 19 2009 at 11:06 | IP Logged Quote adiver2b

Yes you are right about the wiring in most boats. Every boat I have ever ownd has had to be rewired. The wire sizes used by oem do not seem to allow for the line losses and most of the wires removed show evidence of over heating.

superbubbadude
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 19 2009 at 14:45 | IP Logged Quote superbubbadude

I heard my marine mechanic use the term "designed with fixing in mind" That is to say, materials used generally speaking are put together as cheap as possible to move the product. Might get a year or 2 out of the wiring, but then hundreds if not thousands of dollars are spent to 'fix' the original design. I think the hope is that we'll spend the extra money within that same company buying the higher end wiring and other parts.

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: May 19 2009 at 16:34 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

well, i do know that Thompson was having some manufacturing problems right towards the end and i think they were just "slappin'" stuff together....like you say---just to get it out the door!

right up till about 91 or 92 they were pretty sound boats but that's about when the business was coming apart at the seems.

the thing that made me hang onto this boat is the nice solid hull---fittings, wiring, and ALL of the equipment for that matter can be replaced.....and needed to be!

this boat jumps up on plane so quickly as though it were thousands of pounds lighter and much smaller. trim tabs on this boat are just a waste. i can't wait to drive it with the new power.

Hudson,Florida

Marinebuoy
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 28 2010 at 10:54 | IP Logged Quote Marinebuoy

I have a 1988 Thompson Sedan/Flybridge "Adventurer" that is powered by a single diesel stern-drive. Would this be of any interest to other Thompson fans?

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 28 2010 at 21:52 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

of course! first one i've heard of.

Hudson,Florida

Marinebuoy
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 30 2010 at 17:30 | IP Logged Quote Marinebuoy

I bought my 288 in 2002 with 400 hours on it, ran it for 4 years with the 350ci 260hp Mercruisers and decided to repower it with a diesel engine for puposes of economy and simplification. So I spent 3 years doing just that. It now has a Cummins 6BT5.9M motor of 1987 vintage, and is attached to a Volvo Penta DuoProp stern-drive.

It has been in the water all this season and has proved to be reliable thus far. The speed of course has suffered drastically, but since I use the boat to live on (during the summer months) and charter, speed is not of the essence. The final propellor selection has still to be determined and I can get into that if desired.

I have considerable experience with this vessel, and have a friend who bought an '87 version with 305's in it that does 2.5mph faster than mine did on 60hp less. It's been a big learning curve, and should anybody want more info on what was and now is, feel free to ask.

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 31 2010 at 12:22 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

awesome! where are you out of? i assume you had to build a new transom.

any pics?

you should actually start a whole new thread about it....REALLY!

i'm sure all of us would love to hear about this project

Edited by waterlogged on October 31 2010 at 12:28

Hudson,Florida

Marinebuoy
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 31 2010 at 16:53 | IP Logged Quote Marinebuoy

I am from Southern Georgian Bay in Ontario Canada.

No, I did not have to build a new transom, for although the 288 was never designed for stern-drives and hence has a transom only three quarters of an inch thick, I did not rely on the integrity of that at all. Basically, the transom was made 'flat' in the middle by the addition of a piece of aluminum 28" x 32" x 3/4" thick and all loads are passed through struts that support the drive directly to the engine mounts. Consequently, there is no load on the transom at all.

I have many pictures of the transition, however little if any knowledge of how to upload them to this site. Neither would I know how to start a 'new thread'. Any help would be appreciated.

Just for the record, since I had the boat stripped down to the hull and the sliding glass doors and framed removed, I also cut out the entire floor and turned it around 180 degrees so that now the beam that crosses the 288 cockpit floor is now under the door frame where it should have been in the first place. This means that I can now remove both hatches completely as the door-frame doesn't cover one of them. It also means that the engine can be removed easily should it ever be necessary. When I bought the boat, I couldn't believe someone had sanctioned such a nightmare. 'Engineers' indeed!

FantasiaX
"Seaman"

Posted: October 31 2010 at 17:32 | IP Logged Quote FantasiaX

Hey Super,, don't get down about the twin engines... great things to have around the dock for actually being able to just walk it in, DON'T touch your steering when coming in and just use in-out-in-out with the gears and you will find it is like driving your car.

It took me about a month to get  the proper feel of it but after that I will never go back to a single engine, had a Doral with single stern drive before and it is not at all the same boat.

As far as thompson boats go,, very well built and solid compared to most other used boats in the same class out there. My Daytona 310 is a 1989 and the hull condition is like new as faras humidity goes.

Good luck around the docks- remember, neutral is your friend and you are the only one you need to impress at the dock

sarge010
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 31 2010 at 18:32 | IP Logged Quote sarge010

It's good to see some more activity on Thompsons in this forum. Nice to hear that Marinebuoy had the nerve to rip out 2 gas engines and plunk in the single diesel. Way beyond anything I would attempt. Congrats.

My Thompson 288 is put to bed for the season on Lake Simcoe and once the snow gets here I'll start figuring out next years project, probably the stringers I suppose.

Anyways Marinebuoy, perhaps the wife and I can stop by next July and have a look at the diesel.

Lake Simcoe, Ontario

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 31 2010 at 18:39 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

marinebuoy---go here and click on new topic at the top of the page:

http://www.boatus.com/boatgroups/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID= 249&PN=0

call it something like 288 diesel project or....

Hudson,Florida

superbubbadude
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 01 2010 at 16:18 | IP Logged Quote superbubbadude

Hey All.. Good to see the board 'springing' back.  The bad news is, I was unable to get the boat out of drydock this season, with illnesses to not only myself, but several family members and also saw the passing of my father this past month. (what a terrible year) I'm praying 2011 will be better for us all. I was able to at least repaint the hull this season before all hell broke loose. I'am proud of the work I did. Hand Sanded it down, washed it, then finally applied the anti-foul paint. I did select the color black as opposed to the blue for a different look. I also changed out the intake cover and replaced the bilge pumps as well. So, now We hunker down for the Michigan Winter.  Hope to remain active on here. Keep in contact all.

Don.

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version