View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Marathon Boats
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Marathon Boats
Subject Topic: Welcome to my new 89 Marathon Bermuda2550 Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Norm_Richards
"Seaman"

Posted: August 30 2008 at 14:40 | IP Logged Quote Norm_Richards

Hello all Marathon Boat Owners / Group Members and/or Guests:

I just joined your Marathon Boat Group(s)... why? .....

Well, I would have to be that I am now a proud owner of a new (old) Marathon cruiser... Hopefully we can pool our boat info/knowledge together or simply reminisce about our boats and keep these discontinued cruising ladies alive.

I will upload pics, etc (If I ever figure out how to do that) and share with you the story and tales of my new (Old) Marathon Cruiser.. A classic, in mint condition, (Almost) to which I plan to keep it that way (or better).....

I'm located in Ontario, Canada and in the last three or so weeks, I have travelled almost 300 miles or so in my new 1989 Marathon 2550 Bermuda Sport cruiser -  5.7L. Mercruiser 260 H.P. with Alpha-1 drive: This boat is  complete with trim tabs, camper top, teak pulpit and swim platform, swim ladder, fenders, anchor, fresh anti-fouling paint. Stove, fridge, pressure water, marine head and holding tank, shower, dinette, aft cabin, etc...  Huge V-bert with lots of seatting.

This is the first boat in a long time that I found to be a larger feeling boat with all of the amenities: at an entry level price. It  only took me three months (ARG!!) to find the cruiser that I have wanted for years... and it is this MARATHON.

So welcome all, to the world of my new 1989 Marathon 2550 Bermuda Sport cruiser... This trip begins on July 22, 2008 and was finalized on July 25, 2008 as the boat sale was finalized and the Marathon made its maiden voyage to my "base camp" located on the Trent-Severn waterway in Ontario Canada....

There!! The maiden post to all my new Marathon comrads is complete...but the Marathon journey, for me, has just begun... 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30027782@N05/

Edited by Norm_Richards on January 19 2009 at 18:10

Marathon Boat Owners Group - Member #7 - VINTAGE HAVEN
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Back to Top Printable version View Norm_Richards's Profile Search for other posts by Norm_Richards

Norm_Richards
"Seaman"

Posted: August 31 2008 at 02:46 | IP Logged Quote Norm_Richards

Pic's of this 1989 Marathon 2550 Bermuda Sport have been uploaded to Flickr.com: Link appended below:

Ps: It would appear that there are not too many Marathon Boats left anymore and even fewer that are in "Good" Shape...  Very fortunate to get this boat in "Mint" condition as  is the I/o drive...

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------------

Yup lots of Tlc on this boat...

I am the third owner...

1st owner gave up the boat in 2003..

2nd owner 2003- 2008.. used the boat as a cottage at a marina on Lake Simcoe (Ontario).. and it rarely hit the open water...

In 2005 a brand new camper top, new carpet, new upholstery

in 2006 bellows was found to have been leaking..Over time had damaged the gimbal bearing...(Sitting docked at the marina??)  Anyways, they had to replace the bellows and gimbal.

The 5.7 Merc cruiser V8 (260 HP) - Alpha one outdrive is clean .. not a drop of oil or grease anywhere, "You can eat off it" so to speak... It starts and runs like a brand new engine.... transom & stringers are in brand new condition..  

The teak swim platform, teak anchor pulpit on the exterior and the teak on the interior have also been well maintained...

I liked the boat for room, especially for the number of people that could be seated in the cockpit area.. and also the large V-Berth but after I saw the Engine.. that put the icing on the cake, so to speak, to buy the boat..  

In any event, I looks like a good buy and a "classic", well maintained boat...

A few things need to be done, such as installing some type of cockpit lighting, (perhaps 12V incandenscent or perhaps LED?)..  and I have to upgrade the VHS marine radio.. but very little to do on this boat except turn the key and go... (That is except buying gas for the 65 gallon tank!!!! )

Not many Marathon's in Canada.. or anywhere else for that matter.. but this one is still in mint shape.. and I was glad to get her for a reasonable price...

I'll be on the water again in @ 9 hrs...

Edited by Norm_Richards on September 01 2008 at 01:59

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Back to Top Printable version View Norm_Richards's Profile Search for other posts by Norm_Richards

keno
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 02 2008 at 18:03 | IP Logged Quote keno

You are quite fortunate to have found such a nice boat. I have a 1988 2550 purchased in 2004 but not cared for as well as yours. It is overall a nice boat with a new camper top  - same color but a slightly different configuration. The upholstery in the cockpit is alright but the side panels are really a mess.

I was curious about how you have the anchor afixed. Does this block the running lights on the front of the pulpit? I have mine hung from the front rail to try to avoid this. But I do like the looks of yours better and it might be a little easier access.

I am in Toledo, Ohio.

Best of luck with the boat - sounds like you are already enjoying it a great deal.

Back to Top Printable version View keno's Profile Search for other posts by keno

Bob David
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 03 2008 at 22:56 | IP Logged Quote Bob David

Some people have all of the luck. My Marathon 2150 Weekender was a filthy mess. Dirt and grime, years of neglect, and just general lack of maintenance. She's coming along nicely though. The price was right as I got her for free.

Nice boat and welcome aboard.

Bob
Back to Top Printable version View Bob David's Profile Search for other posts by Bob David

Norm_Richards
"Seaman"

Posted: September 04 2008 at 00:36 | IP Logged Quote Norm_Richards

Firstly Keno.... I you could, please put some boat pics up somewhere and send us "Marathoners" a link..Speaking for myself...  I would surely like to see your boat.... but then, I love boats so everybodys' boats.. especially Marthon's (Of Course) are interesting to see..

Now..to your questions "K"... 

The anchor on the pulpit is simply held by a rubber bunge cord to the kleat ontop of the pulpit.. chain/.anchor rope drops through a storage compartment door underneath the pulpit.. and is accessed behind the the mirror in the vberth....

I uploaded some more boat pics up tonight (On Flickr.com): Various shots and views of my boat.. including a few pulpit pics from directly above and from directly beneath (standing in the water..lol)

My front lights are not mounted on the extreme point or nose of the boat but are mounted on the outside of the pulpit on each side facing to the side and front... so the anchor does not infer with the lights at all.... You can see this in some of the pics that I uploaded.

Also the 2nd owner mounted a headlight (A rectangular shaped sealed beam) directly underneath the pulpit.. (you can see it in the bottom up pics.. works good except it is lined directly straight ahead of the boat.. (does not rotate) ....  I might try to wire up a remote swivel mount for the headlight ... perhaps next year?????     

So there is a few more pics up I uploaded today..  after the brief photoshoot I had with the Lady Marathon this morning... (Link is below) 

Bob, you got your boat for free????  A mess to start but now your lady is coming along???  Nice price....  hope all your hard work on the boat pays off on the water soon.... .

All Marathon owners... There is not very many pics of Marathon boats...  If you can or want, please put some pics up...  Ps: I just started using flickr.com to put up pics... works good and is easy to upload and share pics of your boats with your fellow "Marathoners"

Did a quick 10 miler Monday with my wife and a solo 10 or so miler on Tuesday.. Calm as glass..... My Tuesday stop included the head tank pumpout... Tank was full.....(Must have been a "lotta" crap from the previous owner(s), I suppose, as we have not used the head since being the new owners..lol...lol... 

I have had the boat for just over 4 weeks: my miles travelled in the new boat is exactly 287.8 miles.. not bad for the 1st summer..

Always happy boating...

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Ed Ayres
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 09 2008 at 09:33 | IP Logged Quote Ed Ayres

Well that is one fine looking marathon to say the least. I like how sleek it is. I bought a 23 footer 87 2350 Sunblazer  I believe lol. I picked it up off ebay and have had a load of trouble with it. I see the potential for the craft tho and look forward to returning it's seaworthyness. I had the outdrive replaced as the former owner allowed the salt water to corrode it. I didnt realize they had wooden transoms. And now have something else to look into. The biggest problem tho may be the wiring its been hacked up and spliced everywhere. I was also wondering if you or anyone could give me some winterizing tips for this boat. It has a closed cooling system on the 350 chevy which i believe will help with winterizing. 

Norm_Richards
"Seaman"

Posted: December 05 2008 at 21:50 | IP Logged Quote Norm_Richards

Keno/Ed:

Attention all Marathon Boat Owners:

Please join us on the main Marathon Boat Owners forum on site:

http://my.boatus.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62706&KW= marathon

Norm
Marathon Owner

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version