View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Battery Charger, does my boat have one? Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
PanchoCC
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 18 2008 at 03:28 | IP Logged Quote PanchoCC

Battery Charger, does my boat have one?

Electrical Panel has switch/breaker labeled "rectifier". Is this the charger ?

I know a rectifier converts 120-AC to 12v-DC, but I have also seen battery chargers on the internet which are called "rectifier / chargers". So I want to know how to determine if the "rectifier" switch/breaker is also for a charger, and if so, then should I have that switch on when I plug the boat into dock power?

Boat didn't start today. Both battery, new 60 days ago, were low, at approx 8 volts each.

If boat does not have charger, then intend to install Promariner 20 Plus, 3 bank charger.

Need to know if boat has a charger.

Thanks
1985 Chriscraft 337 Commander, aft berth, twin 454 Merc. IB's

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: August 18 2008 at 12:06 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

A quick way to find out is with shore power on, rectifier on, main battery switch off,  disconnect a battery positive connector at a battery and with a voltmeter, read around 13.5 VDC at the disconnected Pos. connector to ground. if about 13.5 VDC is present and follows the on/off-on/off recifier's switch function, the rectifier is being used as a charger.

I'm thinking the rectifier is not hooked up as a charger. It sounds like the batteries are being drained by some sort of load, (assuming the rectifier was on) but are not being renewed with any sort of power source.  Chances are this is the original recifier. As such, C.C. used the rectifier as a power supply first for the vessel's 12VDC buss and as a battery charger as a secondary use. 1985 technilogy being what it was, it is not the best charger. My Catalina 280 Bats. were hooked up to the rectifier for charger function at the isolator lug. I bypassed the rectifier's charge function by disconnecting it there, but made sure the recitfier output continnued to feed the 12VDC Buss while on shore power. The feed wire to the buss was also connected to the same lug at the isolator-hence two functions- charger and shore power. I then installed a smart charger. It was my own choice, and there are many ways to this: I tapped the AC power after the rectifier breaker and used  the Recfifier AC voltage as the supply for the smart charger. I installed a second switch to shut off the charger. I did this in case I need to continue to use the recifier but need to service the charger.

Hope this helps   

PanchoCC
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 20 2008 at 03:00 | IP Logged Quote PanchoCC

Very helpful response.

With one battery switch switched to battery 1 and the other battery switch switched to battery 2, so that the batteries are not in parallel, I flipped on the rectifier switch/breaker, and then disconnected the cables that go from the battery switches to each of the two engine batteries.

I connected my meter to the cables for battery #2, and got a reading above 13V, indicating that there is a charge going to battery #2.  I then connected my meter to the cables for battery #1 and got a reading of zero, indicating that there is no charge going to battery #1.  This means that the rectifier in only charging one battery, and not both.

Questions.
1.  Does a rectifier typically charge only one battery ?
2.  Does a rectifier turn itself off when a battery is fully charged ?
3.  If I paralleled the batteries using the "all" position on each battery switch, would the rectifier charge both batteries.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: August 20 2008 at 10:30 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Hi Pancho,

In answer to you questions:

1) The rectifier should charge both batteries. C.C. did not print spacific schematics for their boats after 1982- they printed 'typical' schematics for a Model line. On my 280's schematic, the rectifier is not even shown- oh well. There was an additional, seperate drawing showing a generic schematic of a rectifier circuit, but it took some digging to find it and it wasnt much help anyway for hook ups on my boat.  So. You run twin engines, but the rectifier function should be the same as a single.

2) With the boat on shore power, the rectifier is on until the rectifier breaker is turned off.

3) Ok, 1st things 1st. A rectifier is used to supply 12VDC power from shore.  With all main Battery switches off and the rectifier on, can you run the boats 12VDC circuits (running lights, horn, fresh water pump, head, cabin lights) ? 

To continue working on your 3rd question: is there a voltage at both of the disconnected positive battery connectors with all Battery switches off?

Diver

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version