|Posted: August 03 2008 at 16:12 | IP Logged
Yeah, I had the same problem with the front window seals. This is the way I fixed it:
Clean inspect areas 1st: wire brush, nylon brush, a good soapy wash, compressed air, dry overnight and compressed air again.
Also, take a look inside the cabin around the window frames too. Under the fabric to see if there's weeping/water intrusion. Clean, mask and dam as needed using masking tape and good duct-tape. The daming is useful if it's necessary to contain excess RTV that squeezes thru during the 1st application from the outside.
Also in the front cabin window area, there are the through-bolts securing the S.S. support posts adjacent to the V-birth. They tend to work themselves loose.
(An aside and you may know this already: these posts are very useful during 'quality time' with the Missus. They get pretty abused ).
It's better to simply replace and bed these bolts - they can take a lot of wear and tear and do leak. Use caulking for this part- not RTV.
Spooge black RTV into the window seal gaps-they'll probobly be in the rounded corners.
I used an applicator as opposed squeezing a tube- you'll probobly use a lot anyway.injected a 1st application which did not do the whole fill right away. I made sure the frame base/bottom areas were nicely filled in. Let dry. Then apply a finish surfacing using a large squeegy. Something that's large enough and flexable enought to ensure the bead conforms to the window frame and seal. Doing this slowly and with a studied movement in the correct direction will result in a seamless seal- One careful swipe will do it... you'll see what I'm talkin 'bout.
Did this 5 years ago, no leaks or weeping and still looks great. I had some alunimum window frame degradation also, so the squeegy spooging process took into account this issue too. It looks like overspray sorta, but deldt with this also- two birds with one stone ...
Roy & Laurie, S.F. Bay Area
'83 280, hardtop, single 305