View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Doral
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Doral
Subject Topic: Battery replacement - Monticello Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
iduate
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 26 2008 at 06:36 | IP Logged Quote iduate

Hello all,

It's been quite a while since I posted.  I've been a happy owner my 2005 Monticello and since then have experienced a few issues,(ie power feed to Clarion Radio, Windlass motor burned out) but other than that she was running fine until now in 2008 I've had to replace the batteries.  Three years I figure is a good life on batteries so I removed both to go and replace them.

Upon pulling them out I was surprised to find that they were 2 Class 27 Interstate 1000 CAmp Cranking Batteries, rather than 1 Cranking and one Deep Cycle.

I replaced with 2 Dual Purpose (755 CA) Class 27 batteries and the engines started right up, but after about 5 mins (and turning on many accessories) the engine suddenly just cut-off and the instrument panel as well.  I switched ignition to off and back to start and nothing...no display.  After a few seconds...display came on again....I switched ignition off then back to start and it started up again without a problem.  I ran the engine for another 5 mins and it ran fine and didn't cut-off.

Does anyone know if the replacement of these lower CA batteries might have something to do with this "cutting-off" behavior?  I'd hate to get stuck out there with this situation?

Back to Top Printable version View iduate's Profile Search for other posts by iduate

roger schechter
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 26 2008 at 07:57 | IP Logged Quote roger schechter

It sounds like a poor connection on the battery terminal or maybe one of your heavy 12v wires has a corroded terminal and when you handled the wires to install the new batteries, you disturbed it.  replacement of lower CA batteries i dont think could ever shut down the power - especially while it is running and the alternator is supplementing the battery.  I hesitate to say short because shorting that main 12v supply would blow a large fuse or breaker or you would smell smoke - etc, and would not reset and work ok after that unless breaker was reset by you after, etc. i save seen salt water corrosion travel up a copper wire well past the insulation on down the line.  I can't think of any component - relay, solenoid, etc that could flip off and shut you down both engine and panel.  others may know something I don't but I stand by my loose or corroded 12v wire diagnosis.

Roger

Back to Top Printable version View roger schechter's Profile Search for other posts by roger schechter

iduate
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 26 2008 at 13:12 | IP Logged Quote iduate

Thanks for your quick response Roger.   I'm going to double check.  I saw a previous post regarding battery configuration on the Monticello and a question as to whether the black loomed wire from the charger went to the engine or accessories battery...mine only reaches to the accessories battery negative side, the other two red wires (one with a green band) from the charger seem to go to an isolator post which then feeds the two switches.  I hesitated for a moment with the black wire because it had a red band near the end terminal as to whether that meant positive or negative (the wire itself is black coming from charger). But I connected to the negative side.  The wiring diagram on the Owner's manual is not the wiring I see in my boat.   Instead of the two red charger wires going to each of the batteries positive posts, they go to the positive post on each of the switch posts. 

It's the same thing technically I guess.  In any case if the black loomed (red band) wire should go to the positive side on the accessories battery, it wouldn't show any problems until I actually engaged the charger under AC power.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Back to Top Printable version View iduate's Profile Search for other posts by iduate

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version