View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Doral
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Doral
Subject Topic: Elegante batteries - explain them Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
roger schechter
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 15 2008 at 14:21 | IP Logged Quote roger schechter

I am not clear on the 4 batteries - what powers what.  I have what I thought was 2 for left and right engines to start, 1 house, 1 generator.  I shut down engines to anchor, later in the day, starboard engine would not turn over - port did.  Used boost and got them both running. 
question: port and starboard engine batteries - what draws power from each?
house battery - isn't that the total source of all power when at anchor when engines are off?
Generator battery - is that generator starter only?
Basically - what does each of the 4 batteries supply power to - and if I run the fridge etc. when engines are off, which batteries can be run down - without the generator running?

Back to Top Printable version View roger schechter's Profile Search for other posts by roger schechter

Ernesto
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 15 2008 at 14:25 | IP Logged Quote Ernesto

Roger, I think your basic assumptions are correct.  On my (sold) Doral Intrigue, however, I did have an issue with the CO detectors draining one of my engine batteries, so even though things are mostly wired like you say, there's some 'hot' items that may be wired off one of your engine batteries.

Because of this, twice I had to use the 'boost' switch to get an engine to start.

Edited by Ernesto on July 15 2008 at 14:26
Back to Top Printable version View Ernesto's Profile Search for other posts by Ernesto

roger schechter
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 15 2008 at 14:54 | IP Logged Quote roger schechter

Thanks for the quick reply Ernesto.  One area for improvement for Doral is documentation to the boat.  The user's guides are very very minimal and vague.  I suppose that doesn't help sell boats - you don't realize it until after that the manuals you get are not very good.  I have great schematics for the wiring and will try to figure out the battery logic.  If the drawings are correct, I should be able to and will post that info.  It seemed not logical that the port engine was supplying the fridge(s) and the GPS - that was the only thing on while I was anchored.  I NEVER pull in the anchor until I start the engines since the windless can draw 60 to 90 amps at least - that can kill a battery fast.  Plus, it was during the day, so no lights were one.  Used the vacuflush a few times, and it must draw considerable power, but that was just a short run of the motor a few times.  Also the fresh water pump - a few times, same in that it draws several amps, but it ran very briefly.  I also emailed service@doralboats.com the same question.  I will post the results of my inquiries.
Roger

Back to Top Printable version View roger schechter's Profile Search for other posts by roger schechter

TheoMD
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 15 2008 at 17:26 | IP Logged Quote TheoMD

Roger on my 330 SE (Elegante)

Stbd engine- battery for that alone.

Port engine- battery for that alone also connected to house bank via an isolator.

This may be the source of your problem as the house and port engine batteries are connected together via an isolator.  If either of these batteries is bad it can be to the detriment of the other.

House Battery.

Gen Set Battery - Only for the Genset. 

As Ernesto noted the CO detectors are always on. They can slowly run down battery. Also make sure your sump float switch is not sticking on the strainer in the sump drain box (under 1st cabin step) as this will drain battery and burn out sump pump.  Both were problems in my boat that I corrected.  Check batteries with a hygrometer (checks the specific gravity of the electrolyte); replace batteries if bad.  I repalced the house with a group 30 deep cycle battery which does fit in the house battery box.  I replace batteries at 2-3 year intervals.

Edited by TheoMD on July 15 2008 at 17:28
Back to Top Printable version View TheoMD's Profile Search for other posts by TheoMD

roger schechter
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 15 2008 at 17:32 | IP Logged Quote roger schechter

Thanks TheoMD,
That agrees with my port battery and house only running down while at anchor.  Most appreciated. Keeping the fridges on a lower number or off can also help.  My wife put the cockpit fridge on 5 and it ran most of the time, when we were anchored and that must have really killed the batteries.  The boost did not start the port engine until I started the starboard engine first, then while running, boosted for the port engine to turn over.  I suppose the generator charging all would have been my last resort.

Roger

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version