View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: velvet drive transmission Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
jsever
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 07 2008 at 00:39 | IP Logged Quote jsever

Hey guys, I have a problem hopfully you can help me with, I was out about fifteen miles from my home port heading back cruising at about 32-3300rpms and BAM! Sounded like a chain broke with metal clanging around and my port engine redlined all in about a second. I killed the engine and flipped on the blowers and opened the deck hatches and it was smokey and smelled hot, visually I cant see anything that looked like the boat was in danger so I started the engine and it sounded like a bunch of bolts in a coffee can.( coming from the transmission). So I shut it of and made it back on one engine. Fun. Once back to the marina with all other distractions behind me and the other engine off I tried to start the port engine again but it turn over them locked. I am not real sure about the design of this type of tranmission so I am kind of at a loss. I looked up some info on them and it is either a chain drive or a gear drive. Has anybody hadf or heard of problems with the chain drive models or the gear drives. It looks like I may be able to pull the tranny with out pulling the boat out of the water, is that true?I have not had a boat with this type of transmissions before and I am loooking for any input I can get. Thanks Jeremy

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: July 07 2008 at 01:09 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Hi Jsever,

Velvet Gears are Hydrolic. No chains. The thing is that as long as the engine is running the engine driveshaft out the back of the engine is turning a hydrolic pump bolted to the front of the gear. The  propulsive power is hydrolic, there is not a gear running directly from the engine to the prop-kapish? Whether the hydrolics are driving internal parts causing the noise, can't say, but is may help to know a little theory of operation. One thing to try is to see if the gear is in neutral, where the shaft out the back of the gear to the prop is or is not turning.  See if the the shifter arm on the gear can be rotated. it may make no differance, but if you can start the engine without the noise, you're doin' good. Try and see if the problem is the engine or the Gear...

Good luck! Diver

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: July 07 2008 at 11:54 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Jsever:YES you can pull the tranny with the engine in disconnect the prop shaft and pushas far aft as it will go,BE CAREFUL the prop will hit the rudder..the shaft on the tranny is very short and you should be able to unbolt all associated parts and pull the tranny out, these trannies are very heavy and you will need help.they are also reparable.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: July 07 2008 at 12:08 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Jsever:IMPORTANT INFO ---go to home page click on message board go to power boatin go to the top subject--there is guy there with the subject velvet drive rebuild.his name is TWIRZ a lot of useful info for you....

jsever
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 10:33 | IP Logged Quote jsever

Thanks guys, I should have specified that these are V-drive trannys, I know that the main drive is hydrolic but I'm wondering if a gear shattered or a drive chain may have broken. MOst of the info I have found on this model states either that the secondary drive is gear or chain driven. Something is jammed in ther now because I tried to move the gear selector and turn it over and now the engine wont turn over. I would be concerned more about the engine exept that when this all happened I heard the crunch and then the engine was like there was no resisitance, as if it was in neutral.Thanks for the web link Boatman, I think I am going to give it a go myself. Thanks alot guys for the help!

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: July 09 2008 at 10:01 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Jsever:yeh the v drives do offer a different propesctive in that they have that angled drive component in them it may be that that component is what is wrong.they are usually a doble pinion thing and maybe,just maybe,a pinion has come loose.there is a lot of torque on them and they do have to transfer that energy at a very wicked angle.good luck with the job and be careful when taking apart.draw a map of the proceedure as you go so you can reassemble in the correct order.

jsever
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 09 2008 at 21:54 | IP Logged Quote jsever

Thanks Boatman, I'll need all the luck I can get. I hit a submereged log about two weeks ago and the port side took the hit.The prop only had a few nicks in it but they are nibral and are pretty hard so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it but it all seems pretty weird that this happened around the same time I guess it doesn't matter how it happened it's trashed so I just need to figure it out. Thanks again

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 17 2008 at 19:53 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

I would say that the strike of the object is probably the reason your having the problem now.It probably bent a shaft and soon the gears in the v drive section didn't mesh as they should.
I had a same type problem just grazed a sunken marker with the prop and about  a hour later the whole thing went. V drive tranny's are expensive dudes..Sorry about that and hope that it can be repaired.Bill
Back to Top Printable version View suwanneered's Profile Search for other posts by suwanneered

jsever
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 17 2008 at 21:30 | IP Logged Quote jsever

Thanks Bill, I'll have the guys at the marina check the shaft, the only thing is the prop shows very little damage, just a few nicks. This whole thing makes me sick but what do ya do. Yah, this trannys are insanely expensive, do you know of where I can get a deal on one? I think this ones scrape metal, don't know for sure but she sounds like a bucket of bolts. Thanks, Jeremy

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 18 2008 at 18:46 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

HI: The shaft I was talking about is in the tranny.as the gears were turning and the sudden  stop  probably knocked the shaft in the tranny  that the gears are on out of alignment and soon they would not mesh as they normally do.
check on e bay I think I saw a couple on that site. I almost bought a boat really cheap once till I checked how much the Tranny was.UGH I never bid on it for sure.
Good Luck
Back to Top Printable version View suwanneered's Profile Search for other posts by suwanneered

jsever
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 20 2008 at 22:58 | IP Logged Quote jsever

Yah, I think that is a good idea. Checking out replacement cost of major components is a wise thing to do. I should have tried it, oh well. I wnet over to the boat this weekend and did some more snooping around in the engine compartment and pulled all of the hatches off and right at the top of the bellhousing where the inspection hole or window is ( on the little door it says open for timing?) the bellhousing is busted out. Then I found a spring at the bottom of the bilge next to the bilge pump. I looked down into the bell housing and the tork plate or whatever it is called on a boat is all busted up. So now I know where all of the busted metal sounds came from and why I can't get the motor to turn over. Have you had any experiece with this kind of probem, this keeps getting better all the time. Thanks Jeremy

(the trannys on e-bay are the wrong model. I did however buy a boat once on ebay and it was a great boat. Selling it on ebay too)

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: July 20 2008 at 23:55 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Jeremy,

Who knows, maybe you're lucky...a busted bell housing and a torsion disc...? Frankly I don't know there was a tortion disc- what else could it be? In any case, guess you going to find out! Again, you may have lucked out!

Diver

jsever
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 21 2008 at 00:12 | IP Logged Quote jsever

Hey Diver, torsion disk, those are the words I think I was looking for. If thats it I'm a lucky guy, I don't know. The marina must know something that I don't because I have been waiting for about two weeks to see what the parts costs are. They told me it would take them 14-15 hours and $1500.00 to just pull and replace the tranny and the motor has to come out because of room issues. I have know idea what parts they are going to quote me but it shoiuld be interesting. I live about an hour from the marina and had them go look at the boat over phone conversations. I cant wait to see what they will try to sell me. I just can't see how it'll take fifteen hours to remove and reinstall a tranny. I don't have any experience on boat tranny removal but have done my fair share of auto trannys and that doesn't sound right. Thanks again and I'll let ya know how things go.

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: July 21 2008 at 00:55 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

jeremy,

Figures to be $100 hr. 'bout the same here for a mechanic. You might price the bell housing and tortion unit and get a ball park price. Suggest the yard buy the materials after you review their warranty policy on parts supplied by you or them. Mercruiser dealer anywhere where you buy a Boat Us Membership (if not already a member) to tow you or maybe trailor it?  I think they'll have to pull the engine.  Z drives are under the engine. Question: can they uncouple the tortion unit and tranny, reseat the engine and start it to check it? Perhaps a disinterested second mechanic to inspect when the major components are at a point where it can be inspected but restowed in case you decide to hire someone elso to do the work...

I've always found there's a silver lining to stuff like this... it'll be ok... take your time, think it out step by step- maybe the damage is less that you think.

diver

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version