View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Uniflite
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Uniflite
Subject Topic: Upgrading Alternators/goodpartsource Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
AlanC
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 17 2008 at 01:47 | IP Logged Quote AlanC

I just installed two new internally regulated 60 amp Valeo marine alternators to replace the two externally regulated 35 amp original Sev Marchal alternators which were having a hard time keeping up with the increased loads of extra battery banks and extra electronics. Installation was very simple except for working in the very tight confines of the uniflite engine bay . The only other addition was changing the original charge circuit fuses to 80 amp from 50 amp. No need to upgrade wire diameter unless going to larger capacity alternators. Total cost was in total about $600 Canadian including taxes and shipping. The Volvo dealers here wanted $1400 plus and Volvo doesn't make alternators.
Anyone interested in more detail on the install, just let me know.

Also I've found a very good source for parts with what I consider excellent pricing and service. They are an outfit out of Florida with an office in BC. They are at www.marinemanifold.com If they don't have it in stock, they can get it fast. The staff there is very helpful too. (No, I don't get anything for this plug.)

On the cruising side, We went to Hornby Island the weekend before last and spent this last Saturday and Sunday at Newcastle island in Nanaimo Harbour. Met quite a few nice boaters, kids and dogs doing the outdoor dock party thing. I wish we could have stayed a week!

Back to Top Printable version View AlanC's Profile Search for other posts by AlanC

BoatRDavid
"Seaman"

Posted: June 17 2008 at 19:49 | IP Logged Quote BoatRDavid

Nice work Alan.  I have purchased a new Balmar alternator and an external regulator for it.  I have not installed it yet, because I haven't figured out where to attach a wire for the "idiot light".  Currently my engines (8.2L Detroit Diesels) have Delco Remy alternators.  The have the same t-shaped connector as the Balmar.  Each connector has two small wires that go off into a harness, so I assume that I presently have external regulators.  I can hock up the Balmar alternator and regulator so that they will charge the battery bank, because that is obvious, but I don't know how to tie in the "alternator light".  I think I will cut open the harness and follow the wires to find the regulator.  Then the wire to the lights (each engine has a light at each station) may be obvious.  With the original (current) system, one has to rev up the engine once to extinguish the "alternator light" for each engine.

Do you have any ideas?

DavidO

42 Uniflite SE II, Adventure
San Francisco Bay Area
Back to Top Printable version View BoatRDavid's Profile Search for other posts by BoatRDavid

AlanC
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 17 2008 at 22:46 | IP Logged Quote AlanC

Hi BoateRDavid.
On my old alternators the "lamp" terminal was labeled "61" and the alternator light was a small black lead. It shared the terminal with an Orange lead from my old external voltage regulator.

On my new alternators the "lamp" terminal is labelled "D+" and the small black lead resides there alone because the voltage regulator is internal to the alternator. So, you need a + terminal on your alternator to hook your alt light to. My alternator light also requires an initial rev up to extinguish it but I don't have a problem with it doing that.

The old external voltage regulator had three leads. A Black lead went to "D-", a Green lead went to "DF (or field if you like)", and the "Orange lead as mentioned above went to "61" which is D+ on the new alternator. As well,  the "D-" terminal on the old alternator was jumpered with a black jumper to the "DF" terminal on the alternator.

You probably know the following already, but I'll say it anyway for others reading this.
The rules are + terminals are positive,  - terminals are grounds, "W" is for tachometer(not used for my installation), B+ is for battery positive, B- is for battery negative, D+ is for indicator light. 1)Always disconnect battery before disconnecting old alternator or connecting new one. 2)Work from a wiring diagram if possible, 3) if you are not 100% sure of your connections seek help from a PRO before reconnecting battery cables.  Blown fuses, melted wiring and shorted alternator diodes will cost you.
The folks at Balmar can probably help you lot better than me. They make a very high quality product. You made an excellent choice.

I hope some of this is a help.

Back to Top Printable version View AlanC's Profile Search for other posts by AlanC

BoatRDavid
"Seaman"

Posted: June 19 2008 at 20:55 | IP Logged Quote BoatRDavid

Wow Alan,

That is a rather detailed description/discussion!  Now I have to go and study my system and the electrical diagrams.  I'm not actually working on this project right now, but I will report back when I do.

Thanks, DavidO

42 Uniflite SE II, Adventure
San Francisco Bay Area
Back to Top Printable version View BoatRDavid's Profile Search for other posts by BoatRDavid

nls79
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 07 2008 at 13:01 | IP Logged Quote nls79

Alan,

I have a 1976 uniflite 36 aft cabin and I am glad to read your post. I have kept my boat in great shape and I have a 4 battery bank. I was surprised last summer when I was cruising for several hrs at nights my lights got dimmer and dimmer. I was thinking about the alternators and I will now have to look into them.

Happy Cruising

Neal Sullivan

Peekskill NY

Back to Top Printable version View nls79's Profile Search for other posts by nls79

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version