Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Murray Chris Craft Constellations
Pages 1 2 3 4 ... 149 » 150
Last Post By: David Ross

Posted: March 14 2014 at: 17:23

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

View Last Post 1963 Constellation 42
Last Post By: eshover

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:19

View Last Post 2000 Gulfstream 232
Last Post By: DanDDan
Forum: Grady-White

Posted: January 30 2014 at: 11:01

View Last Post Catalina Owners
Pages 1 2 3 4 ... 191 » 192
Last Post By: Happy Hour III

Posted: January 18 2014 at: 20:11

View Last Post 50 amp question
Last Post By: Pats2nd Connie

Posted: January 13 2014 at: 17:57

View Last Post Leaving boat
Last Post By: Pats2nd Connie

Posted: January 13 2014 at: 08:17

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: exhaust risers. Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: May 30 2008 at 09:04 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, yall. The fun never stops. Relpacing the starboard exhaust risers on mystic diver. Just did port side a few weeks ago. These risers are only 19 months old. looks like there was a leak between the water jacket and the exhaust port. Exhaust port filled up with salt and rust, choking off the engine at speeds above 2800 rpm. the only good news here is that they have a 3 year warranty on them. Sent them back to Jerry's Marine in Ft. Lauderdale. Bought new ones. Will install today after work. These risers are made by Barr marine. They are the only ones who manufacture the old style chris manifolds and risers. Not cheap either, even at my cost. Since they are less than 2 years old, they came off pretty easy. This is the fourth set of risers in about 20 years. I usually end up beating them off with a sledge hammer. Not this time. going to hook up a freshwater flush system when I'm done. Just hope they honor the warranty. So anyway, for those of you that have the chris craft (marine power) manifolds, if you start losing power at higher rpms, it may be an indicater that your risers have failed. Have a nice weekend. Now where did I leave my beer? Capt. Heavy

Edited by Capt. Heavy on May 30 2008 at 09:06

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: May 30 2008 at 12:08 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Heavy,

Thank you for bringing this up!

Yup. In my opinion, the riser/exhaust manifolds are one --if not the weak link on  the american (GM, Ford) V8 based marine engine. The mating surfaces of the riser/manifolds castings always seep, rust and generally need constent attention. Also, the two center exhaust ports on the heads are always vunerable to rust errosion/intrusion. Frankly, I cannot tell if all of this errosion comes from exteror or interor seep sorces or what. Certainly a moisture source is the riser/manifold mating surfaces, but I suspect that may be only part of the story. Of course, it's the critical point where heat, vibration, salts/chemistry for the entire raw water cooling side. I suspect it's a nature-the-of-the-beast sorta thing. I beleive it's rooted in no real historical design effort to deal with this glaring shortcoming. There is little incentive for Mfgr's as they benefit from failures. They have not really been the target of public scrutiny or criticism and it's been easy for them to blame the aftermarket sector for not doing better.  The Austrailian Hitec system is of interest.  I can collect no reliability data so far- anybody have anything on this? It's expensive,  around $2500 per engine. The concept is solid: one piece stainless steel sheeting- stamped/welded (very light, probobly pretty noisy due to less mass) assembly combining riser and manifold into one piece.  I have a real interest in installing this system when I redo my single 305. Till then, vigelance replacment or taking the darn things apart for cleaning, reseal and fresh gaskets is the only alternative I see- a real pain.

Further info on this subject would be greatly appreciated. The entire forum could benefit.

Again, Thanks for bring this up...well done

Roy 

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version