View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Doral
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Doral
Subject Topic: Faulty Monticello gauge Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Doral Dude
"Seaman"

Posted: April 10 2008 at 21:14 | IP Logged Quote Doral Dude

Early last summer I filled up the tank of my '05 Monticello at a service station on the way home from having some warranty work done. The attendant allowed the fuel to spill over (New Jersey has no self serve). When the ignition was turned on, I noticed that the fuel gauge needle swung all the way to the right with a "click" past the full mark. Cruised all summer with a faulty gauge. - it always registered full +.  I would fill up every four - five hours of use, and ran over 40 hours without a hitch although it was at times a bit un-nerving. 

Does anyone out there know if the problem is with the sending unit or the gauge itself? Could over filling have affected the sending unit, and is there a way of checking without replacing both items? I do most maintenance myself and the replacement looks easy. The gauge was working fine before I toped off the tank as I had checked the fuel level before I left the dealer's yard - it was between a quarter and half full.

Back to Top Printable version View Doral Dude's Profile Search for other posts by Doral Dude

rich_nj
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 14 2008 at 18:28 | IP Logged Quote rich_nj

Fuel guage

I also have a 2005 monticello. Had the same symptom as you on delivery of the boat and my dealer replaced the fuel sender. No problem since. Your float might be stuck, open up the sender and check it.

Doral Dude
"Seaman"

Posted: May 01 2008 at 21:15 | IP Logged Quote Doral Dude

Thanks, rich. WILCO.

By any chance does you Monticello have a list to starboard? Mine is about an inch + lower to starboard with water/waste tanks empty. Doral says to keep the fresh water tank full to aleviate this but that seems lame.

Also had a leak in the hot water hose connection to the head sink. I'm trying to find a SS flex hose (male and female ends) to reconnect as the hot water line seems a bit too short. It entered the white nylon (Whale?) connector at a rather severe angle. Had to plug the line so we could use the pressure system. Asked Doral but they never got back. Seems they are going through a transition of sorts - heard the company may be up for sale.

Back to Top Printable version View Doral Dude's Profile Search for other posts by Doral Dude

rich_nj
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 02 2008 at 17:18 | IP Logged Quote rich_nj

Wilco,

Yes mine las the same list. As far as keeping water in the fresh water tank I agree it is a bogus answer since as soon as you send some over to the waste tank you will have the same condition. Also it's not a good practice to keep water in the fresh tank as it will go stagnant. It is a poor design which Doral should have realized from the start and resolve. It's called GOOD BUSINESS!!!!!! Admit the design flaw, correct the problem and keep a loyal customer.

As for your water hose connection I would take it up with your dealer, might still be covered under the warranty. Did you purchase through Green Cove Marina in Brick NJ?

Yes I heard the same thing about Doral being up for sale.

Rich

roger4
"Seaman"

Posted: May 02 2008 at 17:24 | IP Logged Quote roger4

RIch, are you at Green cove?  I have an 05 elegante docked there.  Purchased it new from Green Cove last may.

Roger

www.funatgreencovemarina.com

I created this site to promote boating fun in the area.

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 23 2013 at 16:14

rich_nj
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 02 2008 at 17:27 | IP Logged Quote rich_nj

Roger,

Yes, been ther since 2001. I'm on F dock  purchased my black and white Monticello from them in 2005.

roger4
"Seaman"

Posted: May 02 2008 at 17:30 | IP Logged Quote roger4

rich,

im at F25 -

cell 908 872 3373

rogerschechter@verizon.net

rich_nj
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 02 2008 at 17:36 | IP Logged Quote rich_nj

Roger,

I'm at F-4 I'll stop by and say hello. I live just down the street from the Marina.

Doral Dude
"Seaman"

Posted: May 05 2008 at 21:47 | IP Logged Quote Doral Dude

Rich,

Totally agree with you re Doral. One would think they would want repeat customers and come up with a solution or at least be more constructive in their suggestion. In my response to them I mentioned the waste tank transfer and the stagnant water and never heard back.

No, I didn't get the boat at Green Cove (they dropped Doral). but I did have warranty work done there.  Got it in Lake George, NY. My problem is that the nearest dealer (LI, NY) is close to 100 miles from home (Hudson Valley), Green Cove 115, and Shoreline (Lk G) 154. With the price of gas, I'm not going to trailer that far and will either use a local marina or DIMS.

Had planned on doing the Erie Canal to Lake Ontario and the Trent-Severn Waterway to Georgian Bay but may have to reconsider or go back to sail!

Happy boating.

DD

Dravie
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 06 2008 at 08:56 | IP Logged Quote Dravie

Good morning Doral Dude,

Be assured that Doral service department would be more than happy to help you.

Please provide the serial number of your boat, your complete name and coordinates to: doralint@doralboat.com.

It will be my pleasure to transfer your information as soon as received to the appropriate departement.

Dravie

Back to Top Printable version View Dravie's Profile Search for other posts by Dravie

Doral Dude
"Seaman"

Posted: June 26 2008 at 20:34 | IP Logged Quote Doral Dude

Just wanted to say that after posting the e-mail on the fuel gauge, Doral's Martin Lalonde contacted me and has been very suportive. Got everything in working order with their support, and didn't have to spend $$$ at a marina.

Thanks, Martin!

How has the soaring fuel price affected anyone? Here in Ontario it's well over $5.00/gallon after converting from litres. We have had to curtail our cruising plans. I'm thinking of selling the boat and maybe going back to sail if prices get to the $7.00/gallon the speculators are predicting. I've seen/read from several sources that speculation is adding 30% and the weak dollar 20% to the coast of crude. That sucks big time! Unfetted capitalism needs regulation.

rich_nj
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 27 2008 at 19:10 | IP Logged Quote rich_nj

Doral Dude,

That's great, glad to hear Doral did the right thing and resolved your issue. Good job Martin!!!

Gas in NJ is high as well. I paid $4.39 a gal. last Saturday. This is going to kill the boating industry.

Rich,

Doral Dude
"Seaman"

Posted: July 04 2008 at 21:12 | IP Logged Quote Doral Dude

Hey Rich,

I would prefer paying $4.39 to the $5.70/gal (after conversion) here. We have rented out our summer place for three weeks and planned to cruise but may spend much of the time tied up in the marina. The sailboaters have no mercy - I avoid the clubhouse. This has got to change; I can't see demand alone driving up the price daily. Some banker predicts $150 per barrel and up it goes. Forget recession; if this keeps up it will be another depression.

Hey, have fun and forget the cost. We only go around once. Get on the water.

DD

rich_nj
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 18:54 | IP Logged Quote rich_nj

Doral Dude,

You said it, there killing the boating industry along with this country with these gas prices. Take a look at the boat want ads!!!!!! Very few people can afford the fuel now and are selling. Marina fees have dubled in the past few years and now with fuel doing the same it makes it very hard to keep up. We need a change and need it fast. Hang in there cause I think we are headded for a depression thanks to the great leaders of this country.

Rich

p5surf
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 08 2008 at 18:57 | IP Logged Quote p5surf

Rich,
Thanks for sharing your political opinions.  Please remember this is a forum about boating.  Maybe next post you can try to stay on topic - Faulty Monticello gauge.

Back to Top Printable version View p5surf's Profile Search for other posts by p5surf

Doral Dude
"Seaman"

Posted: July 20 2008 at 20:30 | IP Logged Quote Doral Dude

If anyone cares, it was the gauge although I replaced both. Marine gas up here on Georgian Bay/lake Huron is over $6.00/gallon after converting from litres. The cheapest was $1.42/ltr. most expensive $1.69. Multiply by 3.8 and you have a gallon. And the U. S. $is at apr with the Loonie

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version