View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Helms
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Helms
Subject Topic: Helms 25 Standing Rigging Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
EWayne
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 22 2007 at 10:26 | IP Logged Quote EWayne

One of my winter projects is to give my standing rigging a better tune for next year. Here are some questions and observations:

1. I have some pictures someone gave me of the lengths and dimensions of a Helms 25 standing rig. It shows the back stay and lower shrouds to be 1/8" wire and everything else 5/32 wire. My 1976 #552 has all 5/32 wire. What was original for the Helms 25? Did it change over the years?

2. Wire tension. I had all the stays and shrouds about the same tension. 10% of the braking strength or about a number 25 or 27 on the Loos scale. But after looking at a DVD from Brian Toss for rigging, he recommends 10% for the lower shrouds and 15% for the upper shrouds and back stay. He didn't mention the jibstay (Forestay). So, how do all of you Helms 25 owners tension your shrouds and stays?

3. I noticed some sailboat manufactures us the bulkheads has part of the support for the shroud chain plates. The Helms 25 has a stainless steel bracket and tang attached to one of the chain plates and is through bolted to the bulkhead. However, it seems the bulk head is not tabbed into the hull sufficiently to use the bulkhead as a support. Infact, the chain plate may be used to hold up the bulk head. I've seen some pictures of Helms 25's with half bulk heads, but I don’t know if they were original. So, were the bulk heads originally used as additional support for the shroud chain plates?

I hope everyone has a great Christmas and a wonderful sailing season this New Year.

Wayne

Edited by EWayne on December 22 2007 at 10:28

Helms 25, 1976, #552
Back to Top Printable version View EWayne's Profile Search for other posts by EWayne

rmargeson
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 04 2008 at 09:54 | IP Logged Quote rmargeson

Wayne - Unfortunately, I don't have much help for you.  It seems that I cannot find, anywhere, an owner’s manual for the Helms 25.  Mine is JAH004280275.  I know that I need to replace some of the standing rigging (the lower shrouds) and I do have diagrams for the lower shrouds and the back stay and it indicates 1/8 wire for them.

I would give up a week on the water for an owner’s manual!!  Of course, I just bought my Helms in August and haven't gotten it in the water yet and since I live in upstate New York it won't be until next spring before it even looks at the water.

As for the attachment to the bulkhead, I recently read of the chain plates being attached to the forward bulkheads, but my boat only has one bulkhead (on the starboard side) but I can see where the port bulkhead used to be.  I believe that was for the upper shrouds.  I also saw a photo of a Helms with no bulkheads (a much earlier hull number).  Seems as if there is a lack of consistency as if the boat was continued to be designed as it went further through production.

On my boat, the centerboard mechanism was moved out of the cabin and is immediately aft of the cabin door.  Also, the traveler is mounted on top of the aft pulpit but I think that was done since the tiller was replaced with a pedestal-mounted wheel.  Other than that it seems fairly stock.

Wayne - is there any chance you could send me the drawings you have for the standing rigging.  As I said, all I have is for the backstay and lower shrouds - both showing 1/8-inch wire.

Ray Margeson, Elmira, NY - Helms 25 hull #428
Back to Top Printable version View rmargeson's Profile Search for other posts by rmargeson

NJAYNES
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 20 2012 at 09:48 | IP Logged Quote NJAYNES

HELLO

DON'T SEE ANY RECENT POSTINGS HERE - ARE YOU TWO STILL HELMS 25 OWNERS?

HUSBAND AND I JUST BOUGHT A '72 HELMS 25 IN A SALVAGE YARD FOR A CHALLENGE.  SHE WAS 'RODE HARD AND PUT AWAY WET', LITERALLY, BUT I THINK WE ARE UP TO IT. 

HUSBAND IS FROM ELMIRA ORIGINALLY, MR MARGESON.  WE BUILT A STARRETT 45 FROM THE BARE HULL SOME YEARS AGO AND SAILED HER FOR 5 YEARS, THEN CAME BACK TO WORK FOR OVER TEN MORE YEARS.  SHE DREW 6 FT WITH A FULL KEEL. JUST SOLD HER A FEW MONTHS AGO AND WANTED BACK ON THE WATER WITH A SHALLOW DRAFT.   WEST COAST OF FL IS MOSTLY SHALLOW WHERE WE ARE.

LET US KNOW IF YOU BOTH ARE STILL AROUND AND HOW YOU HAVE DONE WITH YOUR HELMS.

EWayne
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 20 2012 at 10:19 | IP Logged Quote EWayne

Still sailing. Was out yesterday.
72,WOW. That must be one of the first made. What is the HID
number? In 72 gov didn't require HID so may not be on the transom.
If original sail, number would be there.
Glad to see you saved it from the scrap yard.
There is alot more activity on the Sailnet Helms site. I monitor both
via email.
Wayne

Helms 25, 1976, #552
Back to Top Printable version View EWayne's Profile Search for other posts by EWayne

NJAYNES
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 21 2012 at 22:19 | IP Logged Quote NJAYNES

HELLO AGAIN.
Our new old boat has a title that dates it 1972, but it has a hull ID on the title of HLMC00842M72 and it has an aluminum tag inside the cockpit on the transom that was painted over.  All the lettering under the paint was just painted on except for a large stamped '25' in the lower right corner imprinted into the metal.  The painted lettering says 'Jack A Helms Company' then underneath that something illegible
'?ON?- ________ Sailboat' where ? is illegible letter and underline is not readable at all.  Then the stamped '25'. Under that at very bottom says 'COLUMBIA, SC'

Could be 25 is length.  No plate with the hull ID on the title, though.

She will require much work as the balsa fill on deck is effectively gone.  She had 6 inches of water in the main salon and lots of mildew overhead.  But we think it is do-able with our past experience on the Starratt.  Husband is the epitome of the Mariner of Infinite Resource and Sagacity of Rudyard Kipling.  He welds, does electrical, rebuilt the two stoke Jimmy diesel in the Starratt, built the wind steering from scratch, does woodwork.  I do fibreglas, detail, painting, and computer.  So we make a good team.  Anyway, I will check here from time to time to see if anything new happens.  I have checked out Sailnet and found some good info there, as well as some useful stuff on youtube and various other individual sites with some Helms info.  We enjoy working on a boat almost as much as sailing.  ALMOST.  And we have been landlocked for too long with the Starratt's 6' draft in west central FL. 

Thanks for the response. 

EWayne
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 23 2012 at 11:06 | IP Logged Quote EWayne

Njaynes:

PM me your email address or reply to David Applegate on the Sailnet board. He has a 1976 Helms 25 and a 72 or 73 Helms 25 and would like to get some information from you about your boat.

Thanks,

Wayne

Helms 25, 1976, #552

NJAYNES
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 10 2012 at 09:23 | IP Logged Quote NJAYNES

CURRENT PROGRESS: Got two aft windows out. Got all cushions out and covers off. No mold! All will have to be re-sewn, but are intact.  Considering we bought her with a foot of water in the bilge that had been there long enough to leave multiple waterlines, this is great!  Inside the bilge looks clean and intact.  Core material is all gone to mush because deck hardware had been removed from cabin top and forward hardware leaked around fastening.  Exterior hull appears sound except for small voids that were done when the original mat was laid into the gelcoat without adequate attention to removing bubbles.  Fabmat is well-saturated and intact.  Fiberglas base under compression post has crunched down about 3/8"-1/2" with resultant outward bulge and cracks about an inch below the post.  Previous owners had wedged in galvanized 1" pipe pieces (2) on an angle with 3 squares of 1/16" stainless underneath on the hull which were loose and not doing any useful function.  Will beef up the area, perhaps with a double wishbone over the centerboard trunk down to the hull with a cross piece under the compression post base...... Most of the remaining deck hardware shows leakage through the deck - rusty fastening, stained wood backer plates.  All will be replaced after core is replaced.

Got the keel down - amazingly good condition considering the age.  attachment hole for lift cable was intact and still fairly strong.  Some rust flaking along the leading edge, low and the trailing edge as well.  But not too bad.  Upper section still has hard square shoulders.   So far, so good.  All-in-all, it looks do-able.

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version