View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Pursuit
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Pursuit
Subject Topic: 2870 decision Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Perdido
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 09 2007 at 16:12 | IP Logged Quote Perdido

I currently have a 2270 Kodiak WA that has been a great boat but I want something bigger.  Based on factory response to my needs and the quality of my Pursuit, I am looking at a few 2870s.  There are several in my area and the price keeps getting better, BUT I have a hard time deciding between the 2870 Offshore CC, the 2870 WA, and the OS 285.  All are basically equipped the same except for F225s on the Offshore CC and WA and the F250s on the OS285.  What, in your experience would be the pros and cons of these boats?  I do about 50% fishing, 10% cruising, and 40% local riding around from sandbar to bar and back with a few cocktail cruises thrown in.  My wife wants a HEAD, not a porta potty, fresh water, and more room, and the ability to fish the rigs to the south and southwest out of Orange Beach, AL.  Let me know the good and the bad, what to look out for and any 'funny' habits these boats might have.  Thanks, Frank  
Back to Top Printable version View Perdido's Profile Search for other posts by Perdido

BahamaBound
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 09 2007 at 17:40 | IP Logged Quote BahamaBound

I can't speak to the Pursuit question, but I own a 2005 Century 26 Walk Around. 

Your decision is the same one I faced when we bought this boat.  My use is about 25% fishing, 50% day cruising and snorkeling trips, 25% cocktails on the hook.  I had a big problem with the idea of a walk around ... many look like a nice center console with a fiberglass shoe box on top, all are obviously heavier, and while the utility of the cabin and head is obvious, actual real-life use can be another story.

After two years of use in South Florida, I can say I am very glad I got the cabin.  Storage is great and the security limits having to unload everything after each trip. Yes, the toilet and holding tank are terrific for women, kids and company, but also very nice to have when in a rolling sea or a populated area.  Provides shelter from both the sun and rain, and a convenient place to change clothes.  Kids all seem to love to go below while underway as though a carnival ride.  The frig gets used and we often don't need to bring ice.  When weather is cool we'll take trips and weekend on the boat.  Stove has never been used.  I've laid down there reading the Sunday paper on occassion, and frankly it is a great place to "relax" with your loved one.  Also, a big hardtop provides significant shade and weather protection.

Downside? Not as easy to washdown as a center console boat.  Cabin interior prone to mold without proper ventilation.  More stuff to break.  Definitely significantly heavier, effecting sea handling, trailering and fuel consumption somewhat.  Not for the serious hardcore fisherman, as 360 degree access is typically challenging.  

Overall, I love the walk around design and am spoiled by the added amenities.  Great for entertaining friends too.

Good Luck 

Back to Top Printable version View BahamaBound's Profile Search for other posts by BahamaBound

signmansez
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 09 2007 at 18:39 | IP Logged Quote signmansez

During my search for a new to me Pursuit 2870 I really wanted the offshore model. I too miss the ability to get out of the weather and the storage that a cabin offers. While I am thoroughly pleased with my center console model the offshore cuddy would have been my first choice. The selection of the offshore models was scarce and I believe this allows them to maintain a higher resale value than the more common CC. In my opinion the Pursit Offshore models are one of nicest layouts available. It will be heavier than the CC and therefore use more fuel both for running and trailering. I feel the advantages will outweigh the xtra fuel burn.

Central Florida
Madeira Beach, Fl
Back to Top Printable version View signmansez's Profile Search for other posts by signmansez

MrPat
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 10 2007 at 08:09 | IP Logged Quote MrPat

If you want the cabin boat, go with the OS 285 because it has the F250s. The F225s are dogs compared to the 250s.

You are going to have to chose between cabin and CC. I went from owning cabin boats to a CC and I'm very happy with my choice. I never stayed over night in my previous boats. I just used the cabin as a storage area. My CC has ample storage room. The "head" in my CC is as large as the cabin in my prior GW 268, if you remove the v-bed area. The finished "head" is what sold my wife on this model.

In the end, you will have to pick the boat that meets most of your needs. None of them are a perfect fit all the time.

2005 3070 w/yamaha F250s
Back to Top Printable version View MrPat's Profile Search for other posts by MrPat

Siata208
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 18 2007 at 20:00 | IP Logged Quote Siata208

Where are you located?  I might be interested in that Kodiak.

Alan

yknot fishing
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 21 2007 at 09:29 | IP Logged Quote yknot fishing

I love my 2870 offshore for the storage and seating. the boat is very dry with full curtins.  the head is open in the cabin so you don't need to squeeze into a very small eclosed head.  Mine is a 1996 with 200 hpdi's that cruises about 30 kts and burns 1-8-20 gph depending on the load and seas.  Its the best of both worlds.

1996 2870 twin yamaha 200 hpdi Y-Knot
Wilmington NC
Back to Top Printable version View yknot fishing's Profile Search for other posts by yknot fishing

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version