View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Glastron
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Glastron
Subject Topic: inverter possible on GS-259? Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
tic1
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 06 2007 at 19:12 | IP Logged Quote tic1

We just bought a leftover 07' GS-259 at a boat show and I'm considering the possibility of having the dealer install an inverter so we can run the AC/HEAT on the hook.... Has anyone else done this? If so, do you think it was a worthwhile upgrade?... I'd probably have two seperate deep cycle batts for a total of 4 on board so we could get a few hours of AC at night or use the electric stove a little or pop a bag of popcorn in the microwave and not drain all the batteries flat . Oh and BTW, brand new to the forum.. Hello everyone!

Edited by tic1 on October 06 2007 at 19:50
Back to Top Printable version View tic1's Profile Search for other posts by tic1

rwidman
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 06 2007 at 20:41 | IP Logged Quote rwidman

You can certainly add an inverter and extra batteries to your boat, I did.  You can make use of the microwave oven and could use small appliances, TVs, etc.  Adding deep cycle batteries and an inverter is pretty much what made overnight stays on the boat practical.  Is your stove a combination alcohol/electric stove?  If so, the alcohol option works well, the fuel is inexpensive, and is easily replenished.  Between the stove and microwave, we have full hot meals.  Most of the preparation is done at home, one wouldn't cook chili or stew on the boat but these foode are easily reheated.

I don't think trying to run an airconditioner or electric heat from a battery powered inverter is practical.  Neither is running an electric stove.  All these appliances draw far too much current. 

There are a couple photos here which show my inverter/battery installation.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery.fcgi?p=999&gid=13606 135

BTW: Inverters have a standby current even with no load so be sure you or your dealer install an easily accessed power switch for the inverter.  Mine has an optional remote switch which I installed just beneath the cabin electrical panel.

North Charleston, SC
Back to Top Printable version View rwidman's Profile Search for other posts by rwidman

tic1
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 06 2007 at 20:50 | IP Logged Quote tic1

We do indeed have the alcohol/electric stove and I suppose we could always make jiffypop on it instead of microwave popcorn... We just don't want to be like most cruisers that sit at the dock all day/night, hooked up to shore power so their AC and appliances work.... I haven't done the math on the AC/HEAT but I'm sure we'd be lucky to get just a short time of running either/or even with an inverter and extra batteries.. I don't really want the extra weight of 2 AGM batts either.. Well, if we get hot? I guess we jump overboard!.. Purchasing this GS-259 is a HUGE step for us.. We're very nervous and excited about it and don't really know what to expect.. Thanks so much for the reply... Your mods look GREAT on your boat.

Back to Top Printable version View tic1's Profile Search for other posts by tic1

tic1
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 06 2007 at 22:05 | IP Logged Quote tic1

Also, since we are upgrading from a little fourwinns 16' bowrider... I'm wondering about the trailer selection I made... I got an aluminium swing tongue BUNK trailer... I notice yours has rollers... Our primary boat launch is about perfect, not too steep and not too shallow but I'm wondering how much difficulty I will have loading/unloading such a heavy boat with a bunk trailer.. Any thoughts?...

rwidman
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 06 2007 at 22:31 | IP Logged Quote rwidman

I've never been sorry on my decision to install the inverter and three deep cycle batteries.  One is a replacement for one of the originals so in effect I added 130lb of batteries.  I used six volt golf cart batteries wired in series for the extra two.

It's been beaten to death on boating forums, but it's just not practical to store enough energy in typical storage batteries to get more than a few minutes of airconditioning from such a setup.

When we get hot, we do jump in the water.  We have some inflatable rafts that we tether to the boat.  At night, we use a battery powered fan.  Is it a five star hotel ?  No, it's a pop-up camper on a hull but we enjoy our time on the water.

What part of the country are you in?

As far as the trailer, if you really want to stir up something, post this question on any of the boating forums and you'll never hear the end of it.  Mostly, roller trailers are popular in the north, bunk trailers in the south.  I'm in the south but I'm from the north (sort of).  I'm happy with my trailer because I can winch the boat on without attempting to power load it.  Other folks would rather power load their boats and climb over the bow to exit the boat or they have a helper to drive the tow vehicle.

Enjoy your boat, we enjoy ours.   

North Charleston, SC
Back to Top Printable version View rwidman's Profile Search for other posts by rwidman

tic1
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 07 2007 at 08:02 | IP Logged Quote tic1

We are in Pennsylvania.. I mostly see bunk trailers here but I do worry about getting it on the trailer w/o power loading. My wife is actually quite good at putting the boat on the trailer ( I drive the truck )... I'm hoping with just a little more drift speed and the trailer a little further into the water it will go on o.k... Thanks for your advice. I'm sure we'll enjoy our 259 and are really looking forward to a great summer but it's a long ways away.

rwidman
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 07 2007 at 10:06 | IP Logged Quote rwidman

Quote: tic1
We are in Pennsylvania.. I mostly see bunk trailers here but I do worry about getting it on the trailer w/o power loading. My wife is actually quite good at putting the boat on the trailer ( I drive the truck )... I'm hoping with just a little more drift speed and the trailer a little further into the water it will go on o.k... Thanks for your advice. I'm sure we'll enjoy our 259 and are really looking forward to a great summer but it's a long ways away.

We moved from Maryland to get a longer boating season.  We'll go out this Monday morning and return Tuesday evening. 

I don't know if you've been on any other boating forums but they can be a wealth of information.

North Charleston, SC

tic1
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 07 2007 at 10:12 | IP Logged Quote tic1

Yes, we could still be boating with our 16' fourwinns freedom but I already winterized it.. Not only that, we are so excited about the GS-259 that driving the fourwinns would be a real let down now...The anticipation is killing us!.... I do belong to Iboats forums and there's some excellent stuff there.. We have a lot to learn. I think I'll pass on the inverter, the primary reason for having one would be to run the AC but if that system is so power hungry I'd only get a few mins. it wouldn't be worth it.. Thanks again for all your help

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version