View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Pursuit
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Pursuit
Subject Topic: anyone getting flex in the floor? Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
yknot fishing
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 30 2007 at 11:17 | IP Logged Quote yknot fishing

my 96 2870 offshore seems to have some flex in the floor beside the console. The offshore model has that area covered so not much water gets on the deck there.  Has anyone else had this happen.

1996 2870 twin yamaha 200 hpdi Y-Knot
Wilmington NC
Back to Top Printable version View yknot fishing's Profile Search for other posts by yknot fishing

Knot_Enuff
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 30 2007 at 17:36 | IP Logged Quote Knot_Enuff

Yes!  Mine ran from the forward corner seat back to about a foot from back ledge.  What I found out is that area was hollow.  I fixed mine with foam.  It was not a fun job, but what I did was to use 4lbs foam (suggest using the 8lbs because it will compress and I might have to go back in a year and fix a few spots)  and used a syringe and drilled many holes from underneath and injected the foam.  This is a messy job and you have to mask off the area and you can only mix a small amount of foam at a time because it kicks in about 45sec.  I must have mixed about 20 batches.  I did this about a year ago and it has held up great. 

Here is the link to the foam I used:

http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html

Email me and I will send you my cell # if you would like more details on the fix.

Edited by Knot_Enuff on September 30 2007 at 17:37

yknot fishing
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 02 2007 at 15:15 | IP Logged Quote yknot fishing

thanks  I might plan on support it from underneath, unless the flex is the top layer of the floor and the bottom does not move.  you cure does sound hard.

Wilmington NC
Back to Top Printable version View yknot fishing's Profile Search for other posts by yknot fishing

Knot_Enuff
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 02 2007 at 18:01 | IP Logged Quote Knot_Enuff

I don't think you are getting any flex from underneath.  The floor has a gap of about 1/2" and the top is getting weak.  Mine started to stress crack then it started to flex more.  I noticed the cracks were getting bigger and I contacted a fiberglass shop about the repair and they have to remove the floor to fix it at a cost of over $3000 .  My fix was not too bad to do if you are ok with being in the bilge for a few hours and getting that sticky foam all over you.  I am happy with the results and it only cost me about $30 in materials.  It is not hard to do and I learned some things as I was doing it.  I would be glad to help you through the process if you want. 

yknot fishing
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 03 2007 at 21:51 | IP Logged Quote yknot fishing

what type of syringe did you use?  I wonder if they make a two part syringe that mixes the stuff at the end just like some of the two part glues.

Wilmington NC

Knot_Enuff
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 07:36 | IP Logged Quote Knot_Enuff

I found some at a hobby store.   What I did so I could keep using the same syringe was to flush it with acetone after each hole.  I did not think about the mixing gun.  The foam mixes at 1 to 1 so that should work.

These are similiar to the ones I used.  This one should work much better because the ones I used were only 20ml and this will allow you to a much bigger area at one time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Syringe-60-mL-Crafts-Non-Sterile_W0QQite mZ160163442809QQihZ006QQcategoryZ75564QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ 1QQcmdZViewItem

One other thing I did was not to drill all the holes at once.  I would drill two close together and then inject the foam and then hold my finger over the hole of the one I just injected.  This would force the foam to the next hole and spread out the foam.  When you use the higher lbs foam it does not expand fast.  At first I thought it would grow like that spray foam, but that was not the case. I would work this pattern from the back to the front and I tried to elevate the front of the boat up to help push the foam to the rear first.  My holes were maybe 3 to four inches apart.  If you go with the 60ml you would want to make you holes further.

Edited by Knot_Enuff on October 04 2007 at 07:39

yknot fishing
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 16 2007 at 21:55 | IP Logged Quote yknot fishing

thanks for the info   might need to do that this winter after blue fin tuna season ends and I am waiting on the spring gulf stream trips  thank for the info

I still wonder why pursuit did not put the two pieces together into one

Wilmington NC

yknot fishing
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 03 2007 at 18:53 | IP Logged Quote yknot fishing

might need to do ithe job  how much did you use? I plan on getting the 8lb mix

Wilmington NC

Knot_Enuff
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 04 2007 at 08:19 | IP Logged Quote Knot_Enuff

< =text/>_popupControl(); .5 Cu. Ft should be enough.  I used the 4lb and had over half left.  The key is only mix enough to fit in one syringe shot.  You will not have time to get two shots before the foam kicks.  I used the small dixie cups and made marks to do my mixing.  You will have about 30 sec to mix and shoot so be ready.  After you shoot the foam then clean your syringe in Acetone so you can use it again.  After awhile your syringe will get harder to use because the acetone will take it toll.  So, make sure you have extras.

Good luck.  Email me if you want to give me a call and I will glad to help.

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version